D.J. Question--Need Advice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEM81. Show GEM81's posts

I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has worked with Murray Hill Talent for D.J. services. I have an option to book with them for a significant discount, the catch being that I wouldn't know which of their D.Js I would be getting until 2 months before the wedding. (I guess it would be based on availability at the time). I know that their people tend to get good reviews on this board, and I'm tempted to take a chance just based on their reputation for non-cheesiness. Can anyone speak to the quality of all their D.J's? Or is this a risk I shouldn't take?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

i think any DJ if you have a strong talking to can do an adequate job in line with what you are looking for... I used a Murray Hill DJ and i was not 100% happy with him. we specified all 70s & 80s & nothing vulgar - told him we had a lot of business people & older people & he still played current songs & did play AC/DC you shook me all night long which ticked me off. other than that he was fine... except b/c he is young (like many djs) he didnt have a good selection of 70s disco which disappointed my husband.

If they arent going to tell you who your dj is going to be (which doesnt make sense to me--- what is the big deal?) it's up to you as to how important it is to you to KNOW who your dj is.., if saving the $ is a big deal to you then It's not the biggest risk you are taking in the whole planning process.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

I used Murray Hill too and I wasn't 100% satisfied either and I knew who I was having as my DJ. My problem was that i had to run up and tell him to do the boquet and garter toss and also most people couldn't hear him when he announced things.... I didn't realize this until after when my MIL said something. I still had a great time and if you aren't too concerned about the minor details and if its a huge savings (like paying 750 instead of 1250) then go for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]Sorry, but it is a big deal. Just because they have X number of DJs doesn't mean they are all of equal ability. Ex: Jason Varitek and Dustin Pedroia were both members of the 2008 Boston Red Sox. Are they of equal ability? Absolutely not. I wouldn't enter into any agreement with a loophole that gives all the power to the vendor.[/Quote]

I think Benice was saying what's the big deal of telling you who your DJ will be -- meaning, why wouldn't the company just tell you.

The recent post from Murray Hill that was clearly them posing as a bride (and then the post was edited/removed mysteriously) is shady and I'd look elsewhere. There are a lot of quality DJs out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Baseball players vs djs = not the same. if you're worried - put together a playlist that they must play from... that is the easiest thing to do.

I'm not saying she should do it- but if she doesnt have the $ and the amount of savings is THAT much - then you have weigh whether or not you're willing to risk not having a "perfect DJ" ... the DJ was near the bottom of my list for concerns.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

thank you amschnittger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEM81. Show GEM81's posts

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely had some reservations about the situation, but I'm kind of at a loss with finding a DJ. I don't really know what the going rate is or what kind of questions I should be asking. I just know that I don't want anything cheesey!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

If the savings is significant, I would go for it. But first check on here for more reviews of Murray Hill. If they're an established company that gets good reviews, why not?? I chose my DJ from Curtis Knight's list o' DJs. It's basically like doing eeny meeny miny mo!! How could I know which one would click best with me? I picked one, met with him, he seemed cool, so he is the one. On the wedding day, it could turn out he isn't all that I dreamed off... I guess my point is, it's hard to know anyway, so why not save yourself some money?

P.S. Phoebe - are you sure you're not Murray Hill's competition?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Murray Hill from what I saw on their website - does not have cheesy dj's...

and I'd like to know out of the regular posters on this message board - who is a fake bride (vendor)??

I think we're pretty good at spotting someone who is posing as a "new bride" who just LOVED their one specific vendor

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bleeble. Show bleeble's posts

For what it's worth, I booked my DJ through them and have been very pleased. I was certainly able to book a specific DJ. Is that an option for you as well?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bleeble. Show bleeble's posts

Once again, can I ask if you have the option of booking a specific DJ? I definitely booked a specific DJ through them, His name is on the contract I signed. Is this a new thing or some sort of special discount?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CityGirl07. Show CityGirl07's posts

We used Murray Hill Talent and I’m surprised people weren’t 100% satisfied! I missed the shady post too – ugh – why do good vendors shoot themselves in the foot like that?

We met with two DJs there – Scott and Cory – and really liked them both. We ended up choosing Cory and were definitely 100% satisfied. Obviously I can’t speak to the other DJs, but I will say we would have been comfortable with either of those two. Cory was incredible – not cheesy at all, didn’t try to emcee the whole thing, but stepped in where appropriate. My husband talked with him a few times before the wedding so he had a good sense of what we wanted. He did a great job of reading the crowd.

I know that wasn’t exactly your question but I wanted to give you the perspective we had. I got the sense that they don’t have a lot of cheesy DJs. I do think you get a sense of the person’s personality and that can help, but if it’s a big discount and you need to find ways to cut back on the budget, I’d go for it. Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CityGirl07. Show CityGirl07's posts

I just re-read your post. Two months seems like enough time to communicate your preferences to the DJ.

I swear I don’t work for them, I just really loved Cory! We also worked with Paul to set things up and he was great too.