Dress from Size 12 to Size 6?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smithie02. Show smithie02's posts

Hi ladies.� So I bought a sample dress (size 12) a few months ago on a serious sale.� The dress store assured me that it can be brought down to my size, street size 6 and 5'00''.� I trust this shop and have an appointment to meet with a seamstress in a couple of weeks to see if she can do it.� Our wedding is in September so I am leaving myself plenty of time in case this takes awhile, knowing that my last fitting shouldn't be until August.The needs to be taken in and taken up a bunch, but from the middle so as not to lose detailing along the bottom.� There is a seam at the waist where it looks like the dress can easily be taken apart, so that makes me feel a little better.� I guess I am looking for some guidance from others - has anyone significantly altered a wedding dress and it looked like it should?� I'm just getting butterflies and thinking about the nightmare of having to get a new dress in case a seamstress can't fix this one to fit me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Don't worry, it can be done.� I had to do it for a size�6 dress down to a 00.� This included taking it "up" from the waist, and the sleeves. Cost a fortune - but it was done in time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetoplan. Show lovetoplan's posts

As long as the dress does not have an insane amount of detail that will be destroyed by taking it in (beading, embroidery, etc) and your seamstress is very good, it shouldn't be a problem.� Like the others have said, be prepared to pay as they will have to reconstruct the entire dress.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetoplan. Show lovetoplan's posts

Something I thought to add after the fact.� I'm a size 6 in street clothes, and my wedding gown was a 10, so, it's not as huge of an alteration as you might be thinking.�

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

it can be done, but it can be a major PIA.� it sounds like the waist can be take apart,�up and in from there...(major work from a seamstress point of view)...the thing i don't like about major alterations is "one false move, and its ruined"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from octoberlove. Show octoberlove's posts

I'm happy to chime in, yes , it can be done!!!� Just don't go to Bride n Belle in Medford.....LOL.� Seriously though, mine was a size 16, now size 10.� It's doable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from octoberlove. Show octoberlove's posts

I'm so sad now that I didn't use Chris.� Trust me...my dress is suffering for it.� ;-(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from octoberlove. Show octoberlove's posts

It might not be.� I'm honestly going to wait until my boss (friend of the seamstress) gives me her feedback.� She knows her better.� If I"m out the 125...so be it.� I'm petrified my dress is going to be a disaster.�

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from octoberlove. Show octoberlove's posts

Can you give me Chris's number again?� Thanks!� I might call her and see what she says about it.