Event Liability Insurance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smithie02. Show smithie02's posts

Did any of you have to invest in special event liability insurance? Not wedding insurance, but liability insurance up to $1M or $2M for the day so that your location could be added as an additional insured?

If so, any recommendations for a decent broker/price? Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

no, absolutely not. No venue should require you to get liability insurance.

Why are they saying you need it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from smithie02. Show smithie02's posts

I agree. I am an attorney and think this is ridiculous, but its written into their venue contract that they want to be added as an "additional insured" on a liability policy. They clearly have their own, but the owner of the venue (its a private motel) is paranoid about there being an injury on property.

Basically we aren't going to wiggle out of this provision, so I'm looking for if anyone did this for a private resident they may not have owned, a cottage wedding, that type of thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i've heard of a special rider for the day if a reception is held at a home (backyard)...mostly in the event there is a drunk-drive sort of thing..but never heard of having to take out a special insurance policy by a venue to add to what a venue may already have..that seem rediculous..

when I was looking @ venues for my wedding i did have a few instances of venues not wanting to rent to people who are having under 21 year old guests because they were paranoid of potential under age drinking and liquor liability...

have you considered another venue?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from smithie02. Show smithie02's posts

Thanks for the wedsafe tip.

We're going with this venue even though this is a pain in the A. We're doing everything on a budget and want to be near the water, so there is really no where else where we could afford what we are doing. I'm fina paying an extra few hundred dollars for insurance for the day of, not fine with paying another $10K for a different venue!

And we also love the venue and the staff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i'm wondering if your venue has had issues/incident(s) in the past...that's why they're so adamant about you taking out an additional liability policy?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from smithie02. Show smithie02's posts

Wedsafe is just what we were looking for. Thanks again!

Laryan, as far as I know there have been no incidents, but the venue is in a residential area and the owner also hasn't hosted that many weddings. I think about 4 total. This is something new they have started so I gather that he is sort of learning as he goes along. And I am certainly learning as we go along!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

BINGO! i bet he's had complaints from the neighbors about the weddings..friends of mine live down the street from a K of C that hosts events, and they've been nothing short of a nightmare. Some of the events do get rowdy, the hall has been bagged for serving liquor to minors, there is no real parking to speak of at this particular venue...they've had to call the cops on several occasions, and they have had several drunken people leave functions at this venue and urinate all over the bushes...their property, and the property of their neighbors...they've also had several "yard objects" stolen out of their yard...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I bought the cancellation insurance policy through wedsafe for our wedding and was very satisfied with the service. Happily, I didn't have to file a claim. Didn't need the liability coverage, though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bleeble. Show bleeble's posts

Every contract I've seen from any vendor goes to great lengths to absolve themselves from any liability whasoever for anything that might happen. Nobody is williing to reposnible for anything and yet they are expecting the bride and groom to pay for extra insurance. There's osme sort of irony there. I know, for instance, that a lot of venues that use candles are required to have extra liability insurance AND a fire marshall for every event (cost born by the clients, of course) on site since the nightclub fire in Rhode Island.

It seems to be the negative result of living in such a litigious society.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from smithie02. Show smithie02's posts

I agree on the negative result. But I do some insurance defense work and I see why premises go as far as they do. People sue for the most ridiculous things!

As an update: My renter's insurance through Liberty Mutual does provide a rider for this sort of thing. I was worried it wouldn't because we are not homeowners, but my agent is great, and she says this is a normal request. Fantastic. No extra money. Now I can put that $200 back into my "fabulous wedding shoe fund".

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Sections
Shortcuts