Filene's - August 22

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

Filene's - August 22

Thinking of going to the Running of the Brides event in August.  I can't take the day off of work, and was thinking of going after.  Has anyone been later in the day?  Is it still worth going?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

Filene's - August 22

That is the best time to go as there will be a lot of dresses left and they will all be on the racks!  If you go first thing, that is when everyone else goes to have the best pick and they end up taking all the dresses off the racks.

I went last year around lunch time and it wasn't as crowded and there are 1000s of dresses to look at.

Good luck, bring your camera and a buddy, and have fun!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Filene's - August 22

Could you go during your lunch break?  After work would still work, but during lunch would be even better.  Although, I guess you wouldn't get to try on too many in an hour or less.  When I went, I arrived around 11:00 am.  There were still tons of dresses and they had been put back on the racks after the mad rush in the morning.  I bought 2 for 250 each!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

Filene's - August 22

It is definitely worth checking out.  I went a couple years ago around 10am but stayed until mid afternoon and there were still tons and tons of dresses!  And it will be less crowded when you get there.  Good luck!  I found my dress, a Mori Lee, reguarly $900 for $249!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

Filene's - August 22

[Quote]

It is definitely worth checking out.  I went a couple years ago around 10am but stayed until mid afternoon and there were still tons and tons of dresses!  And it will be less crowded when you get there.  Good luck!  I found my dress, a Mori Lee, reguarly $900 for $249!

[/Quote]

Anyone know what other designers we will find at the Running of the Brides?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghotieyes. Show ghotieyes's posts

Filene's - August 22

I saw Romona Keveza & Rivini too. I really loved Anne Barge dresses but ended buying a Mori Lee. 2000 dresses, 200 brides. You do the math. I would suggest going there a few hours before they close up the sale so that you aren't rushed. I went later in the day too, and they started moving/packing up the dresses about 30 min before closing time in the old basement. And be ready to make a decision on the spot because the sale won't be there the next day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Filene's - August 22

[Quote]And be ready to make a decision on the spot because the sale won't be there the next day.[/Quote]

I didn't realize that after I went... The next day, my MOH had arrived from out of town and we went into Boston to shop.  I took her down to the basement only to find that it had been completely transformed back to its usual self!  I wonder what they do with all those leftover dresses...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghotieyes. Show ghotieyes's posts

Filene's - August 22

My guess is that they pack them up to ship off to the next location of the RoB sale. I can't imagine they have separate inventory for each sale around the country.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Filene's - August 22

[Quote]
    My guess is that they pack them up to ship off to the next location of the RoB sale. I can't imagine they have separate inventory for each sale around the country.
    [/Quote]

Well this is going to sound dumb, but I didn't realize they had the RoB at other locations!! I thought it was a Boston thing. Makes sense though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghotieyes. Show ghotieyes's posts

Filene's - August 22

I didn't realize that either until I went to the FB website. Apparently they hold the sale in NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, DC, among other cities. But I guess since Boston was the original store, this sale got the most coverage. I never knew there were so many FB stores around the country!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Filene's - August 22

[Quote]What's the date and what time?[/Quote]

Aug. 22, store hours...think doors open at 7

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Filene's - August 22

8/22/08 @ 8 am. i believe its @ the hynes convention center.

*whine* I MISS THE ORIGNAL FB!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miniquiche. Show miniquiche's posts

Filene's - August 22

I went at 4:30 last time and stayed until 7:00pm- it was fantastic, not crowded, and I found a fantastic dress. Have fun!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mulli31. Show mulli31's posts

Filene's - August 22

I would check with Filene's Basement if you can when they pack up the dresses. When I was there a few years ago at the store itself, they were packing up the dresses to take them off the floor at 4:30.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Filene's - August 22

One thing about Filene's Basement in general...its so not the place to be if you're pressed for time.

Whether you're shopping the store, or the wedding dress sale, plan on spending a few hours. Pace yourself, and don't rush. if you're rushed, you might just overlook a real bargain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine2008. Show sunshine2008's posts

Filene's - August 22

Laryan, so true about having the time!
    I also recommend anyone going there to wear a bathing suit undeneath your clothes. I wore a tankini so I didn't feel akward walking around trying on miscellaneous dresses my friends had found. It's hard to have one spot to gather all the dresses, and you don't want to get them dirty, as the floor isn't really all that clean.
    I went around 2 ish in February, (yes the mini blizzard we had!!), and it was fine to look through. I found that they had a lot of sizes 8- 12, (street size possibly being 6-10 maybe), so I didn not find mine there, but I almost did get a beautiful Jim Hjelm there, but it had a stain on the train, and not sure if we would of gotten it out.
    Good Luck to all who go!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Filene's - August 22

Good point Sunshine - Check for stains! I didn't see any on any of the 10-15 dresses I tried on. I wouldn't want to have to get a dress cleaned though because I feel like it would never be quite the same due to the nice materials, etc. Could be worth it though considering the deals you get!

Also a good tip to wear a bathing suit. I wore spandex shorts left over from my cheerleading days (didn't say I looked good!) and a bra, but wished I had worn a bathing suit top instead.

At least the good thing about Hynes is that there won't be random shoppers (i.e. men, women, and children) wandering around watching you change!

I might be going this year with my bro's fiance and I can't wait!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Filene's - August 22

[Quote]Laryan, so true about having the time!
    I also recommend anyone going there to wear a bathing suit undeneath your clothes. I wore a tankini so I didn't feel akward walking around trying on miscellaneous dresses my friends had found. It's hard to have one spot to gather all the dresses, and you don't want to get them dirty, as the floor isn't really all that clean.
    I went around 2 ish in February, (yes the mini blizzard we had!!), and it was fine to look through. I found that they had a lot of sizes 8- 12, (street size possibly being 6-10 maybe), so I didn not find mine there, but I almost did get a beautiful Jim Hjelm there, but it had a stain on the train, and not sure if we would of gotten it out.
    Good Luck to all who go!!!![/Quote]

Sunshine, great idea about wearing a bathing suit/leotard (dating myself) or a tankini. You'd be amazed @ the show you get when watching women change in the middle of the aisles. sometimes the show isn't pretty.

hopefully, when the new original FB opens, they'll have a decent fitting room!

You're also right about checking for stains. If you go w/a group, make sure there's at least one in your group that has an eye for the smallest of stains. My best friend is one of those people who can spot the slightest of stains on clothing 5 miles away...is sooooooo greatful for her eye over the years

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

Filene's - August 22

Before I went, I had checked the filene's basement website and found some very helpful hints to make your trip successful. They had recommended wearing a sports bra or bathing suit so you can easily try on dresses in an open area. Also, there was no cell coverage down there so it was hard to find your group. Wear either the same colored shirts or some people brought whistles or hats to easily find their friends! I found a spot away from the craziness, told my mom and sister to find what they could and meet back at the spot in 30 minutes. It worked well for us. Have fun!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Filene's - August 22

don't assume that a dress even CAN be cleaned. Many are spot-clean only.

Remember poor ol' MrsPtobe (or SoontobeMrsP)? She got her (non-Filenes) dress cleaned right before the wedding and they ruined it - all the embelishments melted, broke off, or whatever and she was spending the day before the wedding shopping for a new dress.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pat-FilenesBasement. Show Pat-FilenesBasement's posts

Filene's - August 22

I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this comment, but to respond to some of the posts about stains and cleaning wedding gowns--we have experts on wedding gown alterations and cleaning at the event to advise brides about what can or cannot be altered or cleaned and approx what it would cost. No matter what the price, if a dress can't be altered or cleaned, then it's not a bargain. These experts are told (by Filene's Basement) that if there is any doubt, they should tell the bride not to purchase the dress.

Sections
Shortcuts