Friday Poll - What could you have done without

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

All you already marrieds out there - what one thing that you purchased or spent lots of time on, could you have cut out of your wedding without it making a big difference to the overall event. And to people with barebones weddings who think they pared it down completely - if someone held a gun to your head and made you chop something out what would/could it have been.....

For my barebones wedding - I think even though everyone really liked them, that a signature cocktail/s were unnecessary since they were more expensive than the wine beer and sparkling wine offered and it opened up the problem that "if you offer a signature cocktail that has vodka in it why can't I have a different kind of vodka drink."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

The babysitter. I convinced myself it would be better for my sisters if there was a babysitter to take the kids out to the beach - but the kids want to hang with their parents anyway. She was a waste of time, money and a ride home when we least wanted to give one!

They are 'our' kids - meaning - part of the family - should have just trusted the parents.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Thing about guest book signatures - if someone forgot to sign their check it gave you a sample to follow (LOL) One sister bought the guest book because other told my dad he could be in charge. a theoretical good idea that never happened.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I would have spent less $$ on invitations. We went to 1 place to look at them and then spent hours pouring over books. We had told her what we wanted to spend going in, so we figured that the books she was showing us were in that range. Nope. Neither of us had the strength to start over or go through that ordeal again at a different place, so we just sucked it up and spent close to $700 on 100 invitations and placecards.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

I am not married yet but will be in 6 weeks :-) but I did want to contribute!
    I think that i should have saved the 300 bucks that i spent on engagement photos. They came out nice, don't get me wrong but out of 300 I only really really like maybe 6?
    i am hoping i won't regret anything else!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

I bought an infusion jar so that we could have sugar free iced tea and lemonade for the reception (we only had juice, no soda, so water was only thing sugar free for the diabetics). Wasn't super expensive, I think $65, but completely forgot to use it and found it in our basement the day after the wedding. Was thinking about returning it, but shipping would cost too much! Will keep it and give flavored vodka as Christmas gifts!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

down for four days and still, you can't see the recent posts. grrrrr.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghotieyes. Show ghotieyes's posts

I would've bought shoes I could wear for occasions other than a wedding. Seriously, how many people look at your feet, and remember what your shoes looked like? That was a minor thing, but for a more major item, I would say buy simple Lindt chocolate truffles for favors instead of super cool laser-etched crystals that a lot of people left on the tables at the end of the night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

While there were tons of little extras that we of course could have done without, they were also the things that made our wedding warm, personal, and unique.

We were definitely on a no-frills budget, but we did have some fun "extras". I can honestly say that I don't regret one penny that we spent. I think that's great!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Honestly there is not one thing that we could have done without. We did everything we wanted the way we wanted it and had a wonderful time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bride2B08. Show Bride2B08's posts

We ran around like crazy people trying to get a signature matte thing cut...then the venue forgot to bring it out, so it went to waste. Oh well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flynne. Show Flynne's posts

Vanessa -- when is your wedding date? I'm 10/18. The clock is ticking!!

I opted to lose the chiavari chairs. I LOVED them but I'm saving $1100 by using the venue's regular chairs. And I doubt very much that I'll overhear any guest saying, "I can't believe Flynne didn't spring for the fancy chairs!"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

It's hard for me to think about what I would have cut out. We did maps to the church and to the reception venue and I had them printed by a vendor that worked with my company, so I got a bit of a deal, but I printed way to many (I forgot about people sharing cars and printed one for each person!). The sad thing was that the limo driver stood there as everyone took a copy before leaving - I should have made sure he had a copy because we sat in Kenmore Sq. in traffic during a rain delay for the Sox and on the same day as BU's graduation. Hubby and I were too excited to notice he went the wrong way at first - but luckily we did pay a bit more for a LONG cocktail hour so our guests didn't miss us much!

Also on the guest book - I didn't know what I wanted to do with this because I knew I'd look at it once and put it away with a sample invitation and all the cards we received. My SIL gave us a matted frame for the shower, so we used that. We broke the glass trying to get it out prior to the wedding. It's been in the closet ever since me moved to our new house. I don't think it's ever going to be hung up!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

Flynne-2 we are date twins! I am 10/18 also!!! So crazy but I just can't wait!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

[Quote]It's hard for me to think about what I would have cut out. We did maps to the church and to the reception venue and I had them printed by a vendor that worked with my company, so I got a bit of a deal, but I printed way to many (I forgot about people sharing cars and printed one for each person!). The sad thing was that the limo driver stood there as everyone took a copy before leaving - I should have made sure he had a copy because we sat in Kenmore Sq. in traffic during a rain delay for the Sox and on the same day as BU's graduation. Hubby and I were too excited to notice he went the wrong way at first - but luckily we did pay a bit more for a LONG cocktail hour so our guests didn't miss us much!

![/Quote]

(should have done without the limo driver! :))

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

I would have hired a videographer to tape the ceremony and reception. Other than that....we had a fabulous day and I wouldn't do anything different.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

oh, in the opposite direction, of "what do you wish you HAD done..", definitely a day-of planner.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

i would have thought more about and added morer photos of groups of people to the list I gave the photographer. SHe did a great job getting what I asked for - but in hindsight when I had more time I didn't get in enough pictures with people who weren't in the bridal party but I was way to busy to think about that

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]oh, in the opposite direction, of "what do you wish you HAD done..", definitely a day-of planner.[/Quote]

I looked into this, and I was quoted $2000 for day-of. Would it have been worth that to you? I'm nervous about the day-of...but not $2000 nervous. Should I be???

Sections
Shortcuts