Historic Homes/Mansions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Hi everyone --

I am looking for a historic home/mansion that holds about 150 people, and I cannot seem to find any that can hold that many indoors in ONE room. I absolutely love the look of the Crane Estate and Turner Hill in Ipswich but unfortunately you either need a tent or must split up your guests.

Any ideas would be very appreciated -- Other than the two mentioned above, I have already looked at some places like Hammond Castle, Hamilton Hall, Gamble Mansion, Hampshire House, Commander's Mansion, Bradley Estate, Endicott Estate, White Ciffs, Blithewold, Linman, Aldrich... ect. Maybe its a pipe dream :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from eurogirl. Show eurogirl's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Have you looked at Willowdale Estate in Topsfield? While they do seat everyone under a tent, it's their own canvas tent so you feel like you're indoors. The cocktail hour is inside the house typically so you get to experience both. www.willowdaleestate.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

What about Glen Magna in Danvers?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Thank you both for your suggestions! I am really trying to avoid being outside other than maybe for the cocktail hour (both of our families are VERY anti-tent) so I ruled out both. Glen Magna only can hold 125 and they have to be in different rooms in the house, otherwise a tent is required. Oh well, the search continues :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from polarbear02215. Show polarbear02215's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

If you love the crane estate, I would definitely still consider it -- we had about 180 for a wedding there last year and organized the space so that my husband and our family sat at a single table by the spiral staircase -- we could see all our guests and they could see us as well, didn't feel very "separated". Did cocktail hour on the lawn and dancing in the room off to the side with two bars set up on the side patio. Worked out great!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

I there.. we're also having our wedding there.. about the same number of people and felt the same way about splitting up our guests... but when you think about it.. it's really not for that long!!! If you don't mind me asking who did you use for a cater and photoographer.. we are thinking about using Vinwood for food, and Roland Silva for photo... I met with him.. and loved his work!!!

Thanks

Staci

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CD119. Show CD119's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Village Hall in Framingham will fit about 180 in one room -- it's also pretty affordable ($1800 to rent I think). I thought it was pretty, and has a big lawn that would be great for pictures. Main drawback is that there isn't an elevator.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polarbear02215. Show polarbear02215's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Hi Staci --

We used Capers Catering -- LOVED them! They were amazing, little pricier than vinwood but definitely worth it. We had two entree choices and had guests choose which one they wanted when they sat down -- I think that could have been complicated for some caterers, but Capers was amazing! They also organized our specialty cocktails and so much else. Eliza was our coordinator at Capers, I would highly recommend her.

For photography, we used Sarah Bastille. Definitely check her out -- she gets raves on this board and we were so thrilled. She took tons of photos, got amazing shots and I yet I was barely aware of her presence all evening. She is a wonderful, friendly person and I felt so comfortable with her all day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Check out The Commons in Topsfield and The Hellenic Center in Ipswich. My daughter is having her wedding at The Commons and it is beautiful, Tammy is the coordinator we are working with and she is amazing. The Hellenic Center is also really nice. Beautiful gardens for pictures. I have been there for a wedding, Vinwood is the caterer and they do a fantastic job! (Vinwood is also the caterer at The Commons)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. Razzledazzle1 -- We are inviting about 170 so I assume about 150 are going to show up. It may be less, but FI has a close family and friends who are ALL going to come (think big Jewish family). I looked at Topsfield & Hellenic Center, but I have two limitations. My/his family thinks it is very important to have a major hotel nearby (as in less than 10 minutes) so it is more convenient since everyone will be from out of town. We are also hosting a breakfast for the wedding guests the next morning so we want it to be somewhere everyone can stay. The closest Marriott in Peabody is too far away unfortunately.

My family also wants the option of having the ceremony & cocktail hour inside so that rules out Hellenic Center. I've heard rave reviews about Vinwood and both Topsfield/Hellenic Center though so I am sure it would be lovely. I've started looking at the Newport mansions so hopefully I will have more luck there!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

The Sheraton Ferncroft is only about 7 miles from The Commons.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

You should check out the Harvard Club on Commonwealth Ave. It can handle 150 people and I've heard it's wonderful.

You're an excellent hostess to make your guests' comfort a priority. NO guest enjoys a wedding that is split among rooms. And as we all know, New England is no place for tent weddings.

I never understood why anyone would pay big bucks to "rent" a fancy mansion and then have to have the party in a tent. Makes no sense to me!

Good luck in your search!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cordelia1211. Show cordelia1211's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Have you tried Tupper Manor on the Endicott College campus in Beverly? It's beautiful... I can't remember how many they can fit, but I remember they said there would be no problem fitting our 130 we expect. The dinner and dancing are in separate rooms, but they are joined by 3 french doors. We decided against it for various reasons, but it's very pretty.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreChic. Show SShoreChic's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Gore Estate in Waltham.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Sounds like your family is really opinionated with what they want and don't want for your wedding.

Remember the golden rule of wedding planning: you can't please everyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

We decided on the Langham hotel which is perfect! It it is easily accessible to all of our out of town guests, and I love the historic feel of the hotel.

I always think of a wedding as not just my & my fiance's event but it is a big party for our parents & guests so we want to make sure everyone is happy of course! This way they are :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bride2Bsoon. Show bride2Bsoon's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Try Nahant Country Club it's an old Mansion

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEbride2010. Show NEbride2010's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Wmegs5 - would you be willing to post a list of the sites you considered prior to selecting the Langham (I see you mentioned some, but were there more)? I am looking for an upscale historic venue for 75-80 guests. Like the look of the Crane Estate but I want to keep my options open and make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Sure! If you or anyone for that matter would like me to email my list I am more than happy. I will warn though that it's over 40 pages long with menus, contact info, ect. Here is a list of a few of the ones we considered: North Shore/North of Boston: Lanam Club (Andover) Bedford Village Inn (Bedford) Glen Magna Farms (Danvers) Georgetown Country club (Georgetown) Hammond Castle (Gloucester) Castle Hill (Ipswich) Turner Hill (Ipswich) Hellenic Center (Ipswich) Hawthorne Hotel (Salem) Peabody Essex Museum (Salem) Commons (Topsfield) Willowdale Estate (Topsfield) Searless Castle (Windham, NH) Greater Boston: Algonquin Club Boston Harbor Hotel Colonnade Commonwealth Museum Exchange Conference Center Fairmont Copley Four Seasons Gamble Mansion Hampshire House Harvard Club (financial district & back back) Hilton Copley Hyatt Harborside (the one by the airport) Intercontinental Liberty Marriot Long Wharf Omni Parker House Lyman Estate (Waltham) Commander's Mansion (Watertown)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

South Shore/South of Boston: Independence Harbor (Assonet); Highland Country Club (Attleboro); Blue Hills Country Club (Canton); Bradley Estate (Canton); Endicott Estate (Dedham); Lake View Pavilion (Foxboro); Christina's (Foxboro); Indian Pond Country Club (Kingston); Le Baron Hills Country Club (Lakeville); White Cliffs, Wesson Estate (Northborough); Waverly Oaks Country Club (Plymouth); Sapphire Estate (Sharon).
    Western Mass: Shaker Hills Golf Club (Harvard); Cranwell Resort (Lenox); Butternut Farm Golf Club (Stow); Wedgewood Pines Country Club (Stow); Pleasant Valley Country Club (Sutton); Henderson House (Weston); Harborview Hotel & Resort (Edgartown Martha's Vineyard); Highfield Hall (Falmouth); White Elephant (Nantucket); White Cliffs Country Club (Plymouth);
    Connecticut: Bond Ballroom (Hartford); Goodwin Hotel (Hartford); Wadsworth Mansion at Long Hill Estate (Middletown); Saint Clements Castle (Portland); Lord Thompson Manor (Thompson)
    Rhode Island: Blithewold Mansion (Bristol); Linman Estate (Bristol); Astor's Beechwood (Newport); Rosecliff (Newport); Belcourt Castle (Newport); Ocean Cliff (newport); The Chanler (Newport); Glen Manor (Portsmouth); Aldrich Mansion (Warwick)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEbride2010. Show NEbride2010's posts

Historic Homes/Mansions

Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts