How will Sarah Palin help my family?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

In today's child-caring blog, Jennifer Ehrlich raised the question of what Sarah Palin's candidacy means for working mothers if she's not proposing anything to help them specifically. What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRobin. Show JRobin's posts

I don't think any American family will benefit from having Sarah Palin as vice president. It doesn't sound like she's advocating anything specific and you'd think at this point that she'd have something in mind, but no. I would like for her to come to some less-affluent areas of Massachusetts where the cost of living is much more than in Wasilla and talk to working people who have to take two and three jobs to make ends meet. This is not a family-friendly existence. Interestingly, she spent more time in Wasilla as governor than in Juneau and charged the state for her transportation as well as for her family. Real people don't have that option.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame. Show itsjustagame's posts

My word! Please, listen. The FEDERAL government is only supposed to be concerned with specific matters. The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution specifically states: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Why in the world would we want MORE federal government interference with our daily lives? Government has NEVER solved anyone's problems. The nine [sic] scariest words in the English language are still "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help!" Government is the PROBLEM, not the SOLUTION. And until working families realize and accept this, we will never be able to move forward.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from M--S. Show M--S's posts

[Quote]My word! Please, listen. The FEDERAL government is only supposed to be concerned with specific matters. [/Quote]

Give me a break, that old BS constructionist saw has been around for years. If you bothered to read further into the document you'll see that among the rights that The Constitution gives to Congress is the power to write laws. It also gives the Executive the power to promulgate regulations to implement those laws. Some of those laws just might involve child care.

Theodore Roosevelt (He's the Republican one) once said:
    “This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonable good place for all of us to live in.” To make it a "reasonable good place", there has to be some accommodation made to those who cannot afford to quit their jobs to have children. Furthermore, if you think that the housing crisis isn't bad enough, if all of those people left their jobs, the economy would completely collapse, because 70% of all families would no longer be able to pay their mortgages. Then it would be a "reasonable good place" for none of us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRobin. Show JRobin's posts

[Quote]My word! Please, listen. The FEDERAL government is only supposed to be concerned with specific matters. The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution specifically states: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Why in the world would we want MORE federal government interference with our daily lives? Government has NEVER solved anyone's problems. The nine [sic] scariest words in the English language are still "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help!" Government is the PROBLEM, not the SOLUTION. And until working families realize and accept this, we will never be able to move forward.[/Quote]

The president sets the tone for the economic agenda for the nation. Basically, the "trickle down" theory of economics--the one in play for the last 8 years--does not trickle down to the average worker. The money stays at the top and the workers, not just entry level, but everyone under executive level, never benefit. This is why the overall economy can be said to be doing well but the people pay more for goods and services while making lower wages and are worse off than several years ago. Therefore, it is up to the federal government to set the stage for businesses to allow real people to benefit from a better overall economy. One example of this is the trend to outsource services to countries like India and Jamaica. (In fact, my own job in airline reservations was outsourced. If I didn't have family in another city, I'd be unemployed or forced to relocate). The idea is to set the tax structure to make it more beneficial for companies to keep jobs in this country. This is only one example. The tax structure is such that some industries are allowed to thrive (petroleum, for example) while others are left to flounder (trucking, airlines) while the consumer is left paying the bill. A Republican tax structure would mean more of the same. A Democratic corporate tax structure would tend to benefit the people and by extension, families. Maybe with a better work environment, people wouldn't be struggling as much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

give me a break! Why is Palin supposed to solve all problems for working mothers, problems that have been problems for decades? Merely b/c she is a woman? These are issues for Congress, not for the executive branch. The problems w/ the economy were not caused by a single administration. They are a culmination of policies from several administrations, including the Clinton administration.

What I loved about the article was that the author was denigrating Palin for working on the one hand, and on the other hand also saying how Palin could not possibly understand the plight of working mothers. The author is talking out of both sides of her mouth. Why shouldn't Palin work? I guess you are darned if you do, darned if you don't. Hmm, that seems to be the same plight that most working mothers and SAHM face.....

Personally, I think both parties did this country a serious disservice by giving the electorate a choice between McCain and Obama. There were better choices out there for both parties, but these were the 2 "winners" that the 2 major parties came up with? Please! Might be time to reorganize those parties, or at least seriously shake up those parties' leadership.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LynahFaithful. Show LynahFaithful's posts

You skeptics are overlooking a crucial benefit to having Palin as the eventual President. When the economy plummets even deeper and unemployment continues to rise, parents won't have jobs to go to so they will be at home with their kids, making parenting MUCH easier with two loving opposite-sex parents in the house to raise their children.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

What???

Only working mothers can solve problems for working mothers. The idea that the President or Congress or any other government official can fix YOUR problems is naive and plain wrong.

The government does very little well.

This idea that Obama or McCain will do something to help any of us is absurd. People have the ability to help themselves and manage their own lives far better than the government.

The question we should ask is, which candidate will do more to get the government OUT of our lives??? We are so focused on what is going to be given to us that we forget that we our our own keepers and that the government only makes taking care of ourselves harder to do.

Why don't people understand this???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortysomething. Show fortysomething's posts

I agree with the poster above that it's not the place of the Federal Govt to solve all our problems for us. We've given them far to much leeway as it is and look where it has gotten us. Income assistance is a local issue and should be handled at the state level.

I also agree with the poster that commented about the qualifications of both candidates. In a country of 300 million people, I simply cannot believe that these are best candidates we could come up with. There is something wrong with our electoral process when our presidential candidates so seriously divide this country.

To the poster that said we owe people the ability to quit work and have children I whole heartedly disagree. THe real problem in society is that people refuse to live within their means. Having a child is a choice you make and you need to be responsible for your own choices. If it means renting instead of owning a 2400 sq foot house in the suburbs or taking the bus instead of driving around in a Ford Escalade- so be it. This country owes you the opportunity to improve your lot beyond that you are on your own.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

Sarah Pain does not even know the issues, let alone have any idea what to do about them. She is a cynical choice by a cynical man caving in to a cynical and greedy party.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from M--S. Show M--S's posts

[Quote]

The question we should ask is, which candidate will do more to get the government OUT of our lives??? [/QUOTE]

The motto of the Republicans seems to be "Government too small for the boardroom, but just big enough for the bedroom"

Let's see, being an ordinary, law-abiding, non terrorist American, under the current administration:
    My email is read by the NSA
    My phone may be tapped
    Spyware may installed by the FBI on my computer
    My Cell phone can be used as a bug by the government
    My bank accounts are open to the government
    Homeland Security can confiscate my laptop or iPod with no probable cause at a border crossing, or can inspect them remotely anytime

Given all that, I think that Barack Obama will get government off my back far better than John McCain will.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SingleCommuterWithBagel. Show SingleCommuterWithBagel's posts

[Quote]Why is Palin supposed to solve all problems for working mothers, problems that have been problems for decades? Merely b/c she is a woman? These are issues for Congress, not for the executive branch.[/Quote]

Actually, if she ends up as VP she will also serve as President of the Senate, casting tie-breaking votes on issues. She serves under both the Executive and Legislative branches.

As for the rest, I don't necessarily think she needs to unilaterally solve all of the issues designated as "women's issues". But if VP, she will have the strongest voice for these issues that has ever existed in this nation. Fair or not, she will have a lot on her shoulders and the boys club believe she has a lot to prove.

For the record, I am a white male, in my mid-30s, with an advanced degree, not struggling for money, with no kids and no wife. I'm voting McCain/Palin unless I get wowed by a Libertarian/Independent candidate in the coming weeks. Government is too big as it is, but I would rather vote in a fiscally conservative platform than risk my independent vote assures a win to the current liberal platform where my money will get sucked into sponge programs. I spend an amazing amount of my money on other people's families needs, and that needs to stop.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

Its not Sarah Palin's JOB to do anything for your family. Ask the same question of the presidential candidates, and if you're going to ask Sarah palin, Ask Obama's Runnin mate as well.

What a sexist question --- Come on, BDC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

[Quote]"And how exactly has Bush helped you?"

Uhh, I have ~$600 more money in my pocket due to Bush's tax cuts. Oh, and let's not forget the $1000 per child tax rebate that I have gotten each of the last 5 years due to Bush's tax policies. This is money that goes directly to my children's day care expenses. It is money that only goes to couples who jointly earn less than $200K. It is the money that helps all of society in a small way and to the middle class who have children in a big way. It is the tax policy that McCain wants to make permanent and Obama (and the Dems) want to retract.

Specific enough for ya?[/Quote]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

"It is the tax policy that McCain wants to make permanent and Obama (and the Dems) want to retract."

Right and he also wants to make permanent the tax break for the highest income taxpayers who will benefit most from his tax plan.

While the Obama, democrats, want the high income taxpayers to pay more taxes while everyone else's would be reduced.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42Giants. Show 42Giants's posts

[Quote]i have never really had positive interactions with gov't, whether that be at the DMV or looking at my paltry social security benefits after decades of multiple 6 figure contributions. I'll take my chances on my own using hard work and common sense to adapt to this ecomony rather than hope for a solution under the guise of "change" and more legislation. One man's opinion...[/Quote]

How can you have a six figure contribution to ss? for decades?
    the tax is capped? The most you contribute for this year alone is
    6324 which is way low of 6 figures....
    But I agree, individuals who work hard, manage their finances responsibly and help their neighbors will be the ones to survive in these times..

the problem is with our society, is you have too many people relying on government to resolve problems that have nothing to do with the government.
    People signed mortgages for homes they knew they could not afford. Vultures sold them just to make a buck. People re-fi'd their homes, took out equity to pay bills or purchase cars, now the home isn't worth what they owe.
    This is not the government's problem......but everyone is looking to them to bail them out.

I am a working mother, do I expect anyone to help me? no..especially not the VP, either Palin or Biden...what are they going to for me? Pick up my children after school and take them to dance class for me?
    Are they going to take them to the Mall on the weekends? Church on Sunday?
    give me a break....
    The government - THREE BRANCHES have a job to do...they should do it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620. Show ml2620's posts

I'm hoping she can babysit after her schedule opens up in mid-November. That's the help she can give my family.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from M--S. Show M--S's posts

[Quote]The government's ability to confiscate my pay check for the social security rat hole worries me far more than their ability to snoop on my ipod play lists...[/Quote]

Believe me, they WILL snoop on your playlist. Can you PROVE that you don't have any illegally ripped songs on your iPod, or can you produce a receipt for all of the songs?

Senate Bill S3325 establishes the Cabinet level Department of Copyright Enforcement, and specifically directs the Department of Homeland Security to snoop at your iPod playlist. If the find a SINGLE ripped song, you can go to jail. The bill has an excellent chance of becoming law before the Election.

Hoemeland Security i supposed to be a terrorist fighting organization. What are they doing snooping around my iPod? Why should the government be more interested in my iPod than in what Osama bin Laden is doing right now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elebras. Show Elebras's posts

I agree whole heartedly that SP can not help me with her current stance, same as how I feel about Mrs Obama--is it suppose to make me feel she is in my shoes because she used to watch sex & the city---big whoop

Here's my normal day--what is Sarah's ?

Get up at 5:30, feed & let the dog out, make lunches, get the kids up, make them breakfast, take a shower, then cart them & a few others to school by 7:30pm --work at 8hour day as the corporate woman, come home make dinner, take the dog for a walk, help kids with homework or study or both, get them in the shower, fold the 19th load of laundry for the week and maybe, just maybe sit down and read the mail then study myself because I am in grad school trying to make more money that I need for gas, groceries & daycare

That is an easy day--trash day, or bill paying or general housework are days I wish I was someone else

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CitizenJoe63. Show CitizenJoe63's posts

Listen to all of you sourgraped, so-called "liberated" young women who have been clamoring for a woman to be placed on either the Presidential or VP ticket for decades. But because she is a lady, and has successfully ran and WON the mayorship and governorship of a city and state, you stab her in the back because she doesn't subscribe to the liberal, radical, anti-traditional family values that you despicable liberals do.
    You and I know the only reason you are trashing her is because she doesn't belong to the Obama ticket, the very man who is America's MOST unqualified and inexperienced candidate to EVER run for the presidency of this great nation.
    You liberal mental midgets truly have a mental disorder, since you believe that YOUR way is the ONLY way America should be run. You hate those who worship Jesus Christ, you ridicule those of us who have served and are CURRENTLY serving our nation's military so that YOU may mouth off and TRASH your country whilel you vacation in Paris, Milan, Berlin or Caracas. You are worthless trash that has the audacity to call yourselves "patriotic" and "true Americans", yet you insult those of us who serve on the front lines so that you may selfishly prosper financially and go out every weekend and enjoy an expensive dinner with your liberal sissy boyfriend who has probably NEVER served this country, like REAL American do.
    You claim you "support" the troops, but I suspect you have never ever EVER sent a single care package overseas for those of us who badly need it, and you demean and insult us for serving in today's time of Global War on Terrorrism.
    When you learn to act, think, and become a real American, then you can be considered worth enough to be in a discussion with Real Americans, my liberal trash pig with lipstick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50MARCUSaurlelius. Show 50MARCUSaurlelius's posts

Total outrage! THis Palin chick should be in the kitchen with her cute little apron with bunnies on. Her job............ as I remember my mommies job is to take care of me and daddy. Lets see my mommy was so dedicated to her family she didn't even have a drivers license. Dedicated mommies don't need them.
    So Obama's old lady. Is she a good mommy? Of course, she is a liberal and also a woman of today. SO there!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sciencemommy. Show sciencemommy's posts

Jennifer,

THANK YOU! As a mother of five young kids and a full time scientist, I echo your concerns. I am one of the lucky ones. I have a husband who is a great dad, five wonderful kids and both my husband and I have decent jobs. However, we struggle to make ends meet and live paycheck to paycheck. I can't afford to stay home because I have the better benefits and salary but can barely afford the daycare/after-school care either. We also struggle every day to figure out who can pick up the kids in time and get them to soccer practice, pick up milk and diapers, help them with their homework, make dinner, and the list goes on. I don't know how a single parent who makes minimum wage is expected to be able to get ahead if I can't.

Sarah Palin is NOT the voice of your average "working mom". I know far many greater women whose lists of accomplishments could make her blush; whose lists of accomplishments made life better for far many more people and are truly interested in civic duty. As I see it, she is just another ultra conservative, do as I say not as I do, power-hungry, career first and family second, in over her head insult to intelligent working women.

I have truly lost respect for John McCain. Being President or being in any position of power doesn't mean you have to be brilliant but it does mean you have to make good decisions and surround yourself, or at least try to surround yourself, with people brighter than yourself. The best CEOs aren't always the brightest bulbs but they know how to surround themselves with and benefit from brilliant people. I can't forgive McCain for this lapse in judgement. I am terrified that she is actually appealing to voters based on sound bites and falsely padded "experience".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Funny how no one mentions Joe Biden who accepted a Senate position and left his 2 little boys who had just seen their mother and sister killed (and were still in the hospital). That's okay though

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[Quote]

This article and many more beg to ask the question exactly who is minding Sarah Palin's children, espeically her new-born. She brought them out on the stage at the convention. The Republicans are holding her up as a shining example of woman/mother. Her situation is fair game. A 5 month old with down syndrome with no mother around. The first year is when the bonding and emotional development takes root,no.? t's montrous that she's not there for him and I'm not sure why more people aren't asking this question.

[/Quote]

Here's a though - how 'bout her HUSBAND??? Gasp, do you mean a "man" cannot care for a special needs child????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alicia429. Show Alicia429's posts

The issue this article addresses is being severly misconstrued. The issue is not the fact that she is right or wrong in being a working mother. The issue is that she is using that as a selling point for herself.
    Well...if she is trying to sell me on the fact that she is a working mom, and knows how difficult it is, she needs to tell me what she is going to do to try and make it easier on us. If she has no intention in doing so, then it isn't a selling point and who gives a damn that she is a mom?
    Far as I can see, the only thing she is doing by telling us that she is a working mother of 5, is letting us all know that she is too distracted to hold such an important role in our government. Why on earth do you have a child if you are going to be constantly travelling the world and unavailable to them? What is the point?
    It is my belief that you have children to pass on your legacy and enstill your values in them, which I truly believe that working moms can do. But there has to be a line, you have to have a job that accomodates your children to be what every child should be, the most important thing in your life. I do not think being Vice President, or god forbid, should anything ever happen, President of the United states provides those accomodations. If anything these are 2 roles that should be occupied by people that can make that thier first priority. As a mother, I could never make that sacrifice.

Sections
Shortcuts