I said never again - too soon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

After a couple of years when half the people I know got married, with me in bp  or singing,  complicated by now hubby and I getting married with only a 5 month engagement so other commitments were on the calendar,  I also picked up several of my honey's brothers and sisters and cousins and service buddies wedding that second year as date or wife -  I  think I was in a wedding, or at a wedding or shower or RD, more often  than I grodery shopped in one 15 month period (22 weddings, countless related things.)
    I have firmly said what else can I do,  since I refused to be in another wedding (well, except 1)  practically forever.

So now, a widow many years,  my grandmother is getting married.  She already bought my aunt  a formal gown,  and me a dress from a prom gown line -
      Me at 29!  in a ruffly,  polka dotted prom dressMiniskirt.
    And grandmother rules the family roost.
    Thank God no one outside family who knows me will be there or ever see a picture!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Lord, waggie - you can' t be serious.  Unfortunately, I think you are. Well, be happy  that you don' t have to pay for the dress.  And be happy for grandma - that she has found someone to share her golden years with.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Seriously? This sounds like a blast!! Your Grandmother rocks. :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Grandma bought and paid for it, had it altered to fit (more money)  so I'm stuck.  I should have realized something was up .  I was sick Jan/Feb and lost 30 pounds,  long about April she was real concerned about how close I was to gaining it all back, wearing old clothes size.  I just thought - she's making something for my summer birthday.

http://www.thebridalshop.com/jovani/10986150.htm
    with fuschia waistband.   My husband laughed so hard, tears were streaming.  Says I won't be able to drink - no one will think I am 18, and there is no place to hide an ID card, very form fitting.
    But I'm happy for grandma, she has been especially lonely sinceabout 25 of my generation cousins all moved out of town over about 8 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

You are going to look "waggilicious"!!!

Please oh please find out what your gramma is wearing!

And I'm proof positive that you can be older than dirt and still have a wicked blast at your own wedding, so party on!

Can we all come to the bachelorette party? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]Grandma bought and paid for it, had it altered to fit (more money)  so I'm stuck.  I should have realized something was up .  I was sick Jan/Feb and lost 30 pounds,  long about April she was real concerned about how close I was to gaining it all back, wearing old clothes size.  I just thought - she's making something for my summer birthday.

with fuschia waistband.   My husband laughed so hard, tears were streaming.  Says I won't be able to drink - no one will think I am 18, and there is no place to hide an ID card, very form fitting.
    But I'm happy for grandma, she has been especially lonely sinceabout 25 of my generation cousins all moved out of town over about 8 years.[/Quote]

LOL.  That dress is awesome, Wag.  You can totally wear it again!
    :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[Quote]

did she have a very staid and traditional wedding the first time?  looks like she just wants to have a fun party this time, and you can have a great time, without worrying about spoiling your clothes. 

ok...it is a little 101 dalmations, but it really could be worse -- think shiny metallic with ruffled skirt and bows
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-80s-Metallic-Silver-Polka-Dot-Prom-Party-Dress_W0QQitemZ370064161504QQihZ024QQcategoryZ48870QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

[/Quote]

I looked at the Ebay horror -  you are right, I should  be grateful  for her relative restraint!
         Her first wedding, at 15, she and 6 other brides from her settlement married on the eve of the summer solstice, wearing a highly embroidered reindeer skin coatdress and slippers, and  in her hair a circlet of flowers and herbs.  So far north in Finland that the sun was up all night.  On June 22 they went by sled on the tundra to bypass the Russians who patrolled the area after the end of WW2, to escape to the port where her childhood neighbor  my grandfather, had his ship in port in Norway.  They carried 2 willow baskets of all her worldly goods, all new, and what would be nearly $5  in change and a bag of ivory for bribing officials and obtaining documents ,  gifts from the villagers.   Not quite a wedding at the Ritz.

This time she and the retired boatmaker she is marrying have chartered a ferry/party boat on the St. Lawrence from Quebec to Stephenville, Newfoundland and will have the wedding where family from Labrador, Europe and NH can attend.

I guess she has earned the right to have the wedding of her dreams. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

You have the best stories - I really hope you collect them for the future and include photos...go Grandma!  I love the  zest/spirit of the dress if not the dress itself so much, but man you'll be smilling all night.  Tell her she should log on if she wants advice from the girls though she appears to have everything in control

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

Wag- from the sounds of it, the dress would not be your first choice.  However, Gramma is getting married!  Sounds like she wants to have a fun, festive wedding.  You'll have so much fun in that party dress and I'm sure you will make it look like a million bucks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

that dress really isnt that bad. you are 29, not 60. if she was going to wear that dress i would question it, but for someone so young? what is the big deal?

your grandmother is in love and getting married. try being happy instead of finding something to complain about.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

This whole story is just too gorgeous! Congrats to Grandma, I'm sure it will be awesome and by the looks of it, FUN!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[Quote]that dress really isnt that bad. you are 29, not 60. if she was going to wear that dress i would question it, but for someone so young? what is the big deal?

your grandmother is in love and getting married. try being happy instead of finding something to complain about.[/Quote]

Seriously?!!!  This whole thread is all in good fun.  Take it easy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flynne. Show Flynne's posts

Freakin' brilliant!  Cyndi Lauper meets 101 dalmations and I love it.  You'll have a blast and your grandma will be happy.  Please, please, please post the photos. 

And kudos to grandma for being so spunky.  Something tells me you've inherited her sassy gene. 

Enjoy the party. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnneEnow. Show AnneEnow's posts

Good for your grandmother!  The wedding/reception sounds like it'll be a blast.  What a sweetheart that she bought the dress for you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[Quote]Freakin' brilliant!  Cyndi Lauper meets 101 dalmations and I love it.  You'll have a blast and your grandma will be happy.  Please, please, please post the photos. 

And kudos to grandma for being so spunky.  Something tells me you've inherited her sassy gene. 

Enjoy the party. [/Quote]

It is so easy to think of Grandma's generation,  and great grandparents',  as staid, and conservative.  They are the ones who say, the dress is too short,  what do you mean you 2 "girls"  are going hiking with men for a week.  Sit by me and quilt, and I'll tell stories.  Work with me in the kitchen making jelly on Sat night, go to the barn and  help grampa sand the new table - it will only take 5 hours of your Friday, better than a party  with all that noise,  and boys  with 1 thing in mind!

But the fact is,  My great  grandparents on both sides, and grandparents,  really lived amazing lives.
        I am totally awed that someone could say, I will -  and take off for a new life thousands of miles into the unknown.   The rare pictures of "when granma was young" with the funny clothes and things   show a really strong woman  who raised 10 kids, losing a few to war and illness.  One piece of land we bought near our new house (from aunt and uncle) has stone walls,  and grandma told me how she and her new husband planted the orchard there, and tagged some of the rock they pulled from the ground  and used for the stone walls.  We flipped some of the rocks, their tags survived.

We live comparitively easy lives,  without a real clue what they went through -  I am so thrilled just to listen , to see the pictures in the needlework, hear the stories ,  from  people who really learned to be storytellers long before tv, or what we call civilization.  In the 1950's she came here never having lived in a house,  seen  a car,  or knowing what electricity was, thinking Northern NH such a warm climate, easy farming.   So yes,  I admire her incredible strength and spirit.
         So it is so much fun that Grandma at I think 72  should pick me something scandalously short and young, much more daring than anything  I would ever pick,   and go on a boat cruise  for her new start. The joke is on us kids,  who take our really fine grandmas  for granted.  And I would do anything for her.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[Quote]It is so easy to think of Grandma's generation,  and great grandparents',  as staid, and conservative.  They are the ones who say, the dress is too short,  what do you mean you 2 "girls"  are going hiking with men for a week.  Sit by me and quilt, and I'll tell stories.  Work with me in the kitchen making jelly on Sat night, go to the barn and  help grampa sand the new table - it will only take 5 hours of your Friday, better than a party  with all that noise,  and boys  with 1 thing in mind!

But the fact is,  My great  grandparents on both sides, and grandparents,  really lived amazing lives.
        I am totally awed that someone could say, I will -  and take off for a new life thousands of miles into the unknown.   The rare pictures of "when granma was young" with the funny clothes and things   show a really strong woman  who raised 10 kids, losing a few to war and illness.  One piece of land we bought near our new house (from aunt and uncle) has stone walls,  and grandma told me how she and her new husband planted the orchard there, and tagged some of the rock they pulled from the ground  and used for the stone walls.  We flipped some of the rocks, their tags survived.

We live comparitively easy lives,  without a real clue what they went through -  I am so thrilled just to listen , to see the pictures in the needlework, hear the stories ,  from  people who really learned to be storytellers long before tv, or what we call civilization.  In the 1950's she came here never having lived in a house,  seen  a car,  or knowing what electricity was, thinking Northern NH such a warm climate, easy farming.   So yes,  I admire her incredible strength and spirit.
         So it is so much fun that Grandma at I think 72  should pick me something scandalously short and young, much more daring than anything  I would ever pick,   and go on a boat cruise  for her new start. The joke is on us kids,  who take our really fine grandmas  for granted.  And I would do anything for her.[/Quote]

Too funny.  Oh - and you should save it "so your daughter can wear it" someday!  Have fun!  And way to go Gradma!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[Quote]You are going to look "waggilicious"!!!

Please oh please find out what your gramma is wearing!

And I'm proof positive that you can be older than dirt and still have a wicked blast at your own wedding, so party on!

Can we all come to the bachelorette party? [/Quote]
    The shop (in Montreal,  short hop from here) has not finished  making a dove grey brocade long skirt suit,  with white lace and fuschia threads where the blouse peeks out.   Since biting the bullet and having a knee replacement 2 years ago,  she dropped over 50 pounds from just increased activity,  so she is excited about the outfit - 150 lbs is pretty svelte for someone who eats what she bakes  and thinks maple syrup and apple pie (separately) should be part of one's daily diet!

She is letting my 55 year old Mom  plan the wedding, the greatest gift!   And she bought Mom a dress (Mom was not with her),  my Dad just looked when Mom tried it on over the weekend and said WOW.  I finally found a picture on the Alyce site -
    http://www.alycedesigns.com/2008cat/dress.php?id=8128&page=1
    in dark espresso coffee, with all the red in Mom's hair  and  the fabric looks like sealskin, and fits as snug, too. 
    In the unspoken - but definite - competition of all the sisters,  she as oldest gets teased about being a grandmother herself,  but newsflash, she looks pretty fine to me!   (Hubby says - they say if you want a vision of the future, look at your MIL,  and WOW -  I should be so lucky!)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]Grandma bought and paid for it, had it altered to fit (more money)  so I'm stuck.  I should have realized something was up .  I was sick Jan/Feb and lost 30 pounds,  long about April she was real concerned about how close I was to gaining it all back, wearing old clothes size.  I just thought - she's making something for my summer birthday.

But I'm happy for grandma, she has been especially lonely sinceabout 25 of my generation cousins all moved out of town over about 8 years.[/Quote]

Call me crazy but I think that dress is awesome. Why not just have fun?? Stop whining--I wish my grandmother were still alive so I could watch her get married and wear a totally off-the-hook dress.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

[Quote]Call me crazy but I think that dress is awesome. Why not just have fun?? Stop whining--I wish my grandmother were still alive so I could watch her get married and wear a totally off-the-hook dress.[/Quote]

Have a sense of humor! 
         Never say never is what they tell you when you swear off something,  because sure enough, the next to come along is the one you've always wanted, the dream one,  the guy who is perfect or whatever.  
          And for all Wag may have enjoyed the many weddings she's been in,  she said "Enough" and swore off any more as MOH/ bridesmaid  til her kids'?  turn -  and then  comes the  one she cares about more than every other one - her grandmother  asks her!  Of all her 35-40 grandchildren.

Lighten up.  You were right in your last post, her grandmother rocks!  Choosing a dress 7 inches above the knee, for someone who wears nothing but bathing suits that short,  is a little disconcerting,  Wag will get more attention for it than she likes .  More than her somewhat conservative husband likes.  But what grandma wants, she will get.

(I have to stick up for her, she's tiling my bathroom and laundry room today!) 

Sections
Shortcuts