invitation RANT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

invitation RANT

Ok, So I'm starting to see the humor in the situation...
    So FI's Step Mother is a drunk, but a drunk who has very beautiful handwriting...we asked her if she would address the invites. She said yes. We mailed all of the envelopes to her in Texas to address, she took FOREVER to do them, and sent us one out of two boxes of them yesterday for us to look at before she completed the remaining ones (why, I have no idea. I tried to tell her nicely a billion times that I was sure they'd be lovely and to just do them and get them to me, as our wedding is in 7 weeks and they haven't gone out yet).  Well, we got the box yesterday, and she misspelled Massachusetts on every. single. one. that had a MA address. She spelled it Massassachutes. BTW, the correct spelling was ON THE BACK OF THE ENVELOPE!!! So, I'm freaking out, trying to figure out what to do. I call the invite place, they say they can send me out plain envelopes (no lining, no return address) by tomorrow. We'll get them and address them ourselves. Fine. Then as I'm showing my sister the incorret ones, she points out that Essex on the return address has 3s's!!!!! It says Esssex...OMFG. Good news, though, we looked at the proof, and it's correct on there, so William Arthur is now printing up all new lined envelopes and shipping them out tomorrow for free. I can't believe that we didn't catch the mistake in Essex, but at least now I don't have to worry about Drunken Future Step Mother In Law (heretofore known as DFSMIL) mis-spelling Massachusetts again! So we're down to the wire, but I'm getting together all of my friends that have nice handwriting, and we'll have an addressing party. Super fun. In the end, it will be fine, but it's been sort of a stressful 24 hours!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

invitation RANT

I just wanted to say good luck!  I hope that DFSMIL won't be offended if you don't use the envelopes that she wrote on and telling her that she doesn't have to finish the second half of the invites!  I found addressing  and mailing invites the most stressful and where I had a slight showing of "bridezilla".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethb287. Show bethb287's posts

invitation RANT

Someone was in your corner when they spelled Essex wrong so that you would HAVE to re-do!!  Have fun with your friends at the re-address party!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

invitation RANT

Oh I am sorry; but I did laugh!

I am sure your party will be fun!   Just a thought - keep red wine away from the invites incase a glass spills!

:0)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bride2B08. Show Bride2B08's posts

invitation RANT

OMFG is right!!  Massassachutes, seriously?  That's hilarious...say that 3 times fast.  I'm sorry - I'd be freaking out too!  But you're doing a great job of keeping things in perspective...and yeah, someone is definitely in your corner!  Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

invitation RANT

A good laugh, once I got past the tearing hair out to find they had to do them all over at no cost anyway.

Something that I truly believe - Mail in the US has been delivered to postal designations  for more than 45 years.  It is time to get away from the totally functionless   routine or fully spelling out all state names on formal invitations.   At the time etiquette people decided this was the "nice way",  pregnant women were thought to be "not nice" and not allowed in any genteel work place,  never wore pants or went without hats or gloves in department stores or on the train, to the library etc.
         Much of etiquette survives  because it is founded on being respectful of others' feelings,  or treating others the way one wants to be treated.  But abbreviations are no longer considered crass and vulgar.
         Crown royalty of Europe,  our Embassies,  all manor of folks who have adhered to rigid protocol use standard 2 letter state or provincial designations and a zipcode.  Time people writing invitations did the same.
         Of course drunken FMIL  would then write  MAMA  or MEMEME  instead of  the correct way,  the determined always manage to screw up.
         But for the rest of us, life would be easier.

There is nothing intrinsically more beautiful about a 16 letter state name.  In fact, it looks a lot worse  than a 2 or 4 letter one  because it is so hard to write such a long word exactly straight with no pauses or errors.
    Preserve the second set of envelopes.  Do not write Massachusetts out.  Just  MA and Zip

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

invitation RANT

Wow. I thought it was bad when my (sober) sister-in-law got the name of our hall wrong.

Seriously, though, what were you expecting when you asked a drunk (your words) to address invitations?

Sections
Shortcuts