iPod at reception?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

iPod at reception?

Has anyone used an iPod at a reception instead of a DJ?  I am wondering for 2 reasons - 1. The site of my reception has limited space  2. to save $$.

I want to get some feeback from people who have done this at their wedding, or have been to a wedding where an iPod was used.

Thanks! type="text/javascript" />

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

iPod at reception?

havent done it and havent seen it, but cant imagine it couldnt work. although, who would do the introductions?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from foolforfood. Show foolforfood's posts

iPod at reception?

You can find a DJ for $500.  How much will it cost to rent sound equipment?  Do a cost-benefit analysis. 

If you decide to go ahead with it, be sure to have backups.  I've hear horror stories about the ipod malfunctioning at the worst moments (i.e. bride's intro song!)

Also, do you want to have everyone up on the dance floor?  Your taste in music is subjective and therefore it may be completely different from the crowd's taste. A good DJ, even the cheapest one in town, will have a flexible playlist and he'll be able to anticipate which songs will get the crowd up.  HTH!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

iPod at reception?

I think this could work for a smaller wedding [50-60 pp] and one in a casual setting.  Personally, I think it would be weird to do this if you are having a big wedding reception in a hotel or fancy venue.  Before you decide to do it, make sure you know what you are getting into.  Figure out what your total costs will be [rental of speakers, etc]; it may actually not be that much less expensive than hiring a DJ.  Also, make sure you have a backup plan in case anything goes wrong, and someone who knows what they are doing to run it in case you have technical difficulties during the day.  If music and dancing are a really important part of your day, then I would look for other ways to cut costs and put the money into a decent DJ.  If you just want background music, then I def. think that an Ipod could work. 

Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

iPod at reception?

I think this could work for a smaller wedding [50-60 pp] and one in a casual setting.  Personally, I think it would be weird to do this if you are having a big wedding reception in a hotel or fancy venue.  Before you decide to do it, make sure you know what you are getting into.  Figure out what your total costs will be [rental of speakers, etc]; it may actually not be that much less expensive than hiring a DJ.  Also, make sure you have a backup plan in case anything goes wrong, and someone who knows what they are doing to run it in case you have technical difficulties during the day.  If music and dancing are a really important part of your day, then I would look for other ways to cut costs and put the money into a decent DJ.  If you just want background music, then I def. think that an Ipod could work. 

Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

iPod at reception?

No idea why this posted 2x. I only hit submit 1x!  Sorry for the double post.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yacklebee. Show yacklebee's posts

iPod at reception?

I did use my ipod with Bose sound dock at my small wedding ceremony/reception. I want to emphasize that we had a very small informal wedding with no dancing. We made play lists for cocktail hour, dinner, and after dinner music. It worked great for us. But since we didn't have dancing we weren't really concerned if the ipod failed (except for the getting down the aisle part!!). Like i said we had a very small wedding. It was in a small chapel, and the reception was in a small-ish room (just 50 people). The sound quality was great, but I will say though that someone who was sitting near to the ipod kept turning the music down.  I don't think it would be fair to make someone in your wedding party stand over the ipod to make sure no one changes the volume, so be aware that you may have some guests change the volume or help themselves to picking the songs that they want to hear.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

iPod at reception?

Thanks for all the suggestions.  It is not too small, about 100 people.  The sound equipment is already provided, that is one reason I was thinking of the iPod. 

Thanks for bringing up who will do the instructions, pumping up the crowd, etc.  I think a DJ would be better in this situation.  Thanks for all the advice!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

iPod at reception?

I want to bring this post back up to see if anyone has since used an iPod (or laptop) and a rented professional sound system instead of a DJ...

Any good or bad experiences? I am planning a moderately large (220 people) but fairly casual wedding. We want lots of dancing but we are control freaks about music and I do NOT trust a DJ to play all of the songs that we want.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

iPod at reception?

Replying to myself to see it post...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

iPod at reception?

[Quote]Replying to myself to see it post...[/Quote]

Oh wait, and if you have, who did you rent the sound equipment from? Thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

iPod at reception?

Planning on doing the same for myself. Wedding is 9/19. I'll let you know how it works. I am actually just going to purchase the speakers as it will be cheaper than renting and I don't have to worry about returning them the next day. Doing a ship-to-store since I am coming from OOT. Mine will be much smaller than yours, however, I imagine it would all work the same, just a different amount and size of speakers.
    Using a laptop. All the music will be meaningful to us and a different variety than standard DJ fare. We like a very ecclectic mix.
    Best man will be handling the introductions and FI insists on handling the remote to the laptop himself.

Did attend a wedding in January with a laptop and it worked out great. Also, my MOH used an iPod with dock for hers last year and had no issues. Hers was in San Francisco though, so no recommendations on rentals.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

iPod at reception?

Circles, be sure to post how it went! Our wedding is 11/9. I've just started considering buying Sirius for a year so we can just turn on Smooth Jazz or something for cocktail hour and Classical something or other for dinner. Then, iPod of our own mix for dancing.

What does everyone think of the HD radio idea?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenCardWedding. Show GreenCardWedding's posts

iPod at reception?

I think in theory it sounds great! But I personally wouldn't do it. The hassle of renting the sound equiptment would be too stressful for me. For $850 we're getting a dj and I know they come cheaper than what we're paying (like PP said some are $500) Just for the piece of mind I would pay that extra.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

iPod at reception?

We did this for our wedding (110+, most of whom all danced all night... and by that I mean some were still going at 4am the next day!!). We had play lists for the cocktail hour, dinner music and then dancing music - and had each saved to both the ipod and on i-tunes on a lap top. We just put one of our cousins in charge of hitting play/stop and switching to the next list. Having certain songs while we entered, cut the cake, last dance etc didn't even really cross our mind, it didn't seem important, so I really couldn't tell you what was playing (if anything?) at those times. I had my uncle as the MC and he just introduced us as we walked in and kept the party moving throughout the night, making any announcements as required. All the other equipment was provided by the venue, so we didn't need to worry about providing speakers etc. My BILs just went the day before and set everything up and had a test run.
    I think the key was to have plenty of variety in the play list - we had everything from some top 40, back to some 50s/60s classics that everyone knows.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticchick. Show celticchick's posts

iPod at reception?

I attended a wedding a few weeks ago that went the iTunes on computer route. Overall it worked out very well- the only problem was that the bass seemed to be up a bit high, so the actualy lyrics weren't always as clear as they could be. But that did not keep people off the dance floor. We took note of that as we plan to go the iTunes route. FI's brother is in a band and has offered to get us the speakers and to hook/set it up for us.

Also, our site manager has said that many couples have used the iPod Bose docking system and it has gone well. Our venue is on the smaller side and we're expecting 80 people max. But I do want dancing!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

iPod at reception?

My drunk girlfriends would DEFINITELY do that - so we'd probably use the laptop and put a password on it... There are only so many times you can hear "Don't Stop Believin'"...

Thanks all for your opinions!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

iPod at reception?

Since I posted that we are using an iPod (engraved with Mr. & Mrs. Dreamy Dreamboat, November 9, 2008), we've since changed our minds and are going with a DJ for all the aforementioned reasons.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

iPod at reception?

Hubby and I used an iPod. We got all of the important songs in (including the Wedding March, the first dance, and the Electric Slide), but the iPod died. The CD player we bought for backup kept skipping. We had no music for the last 30 minutes of our (short) reception.

If you go the iPod route, make sure you have backup for your backup.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

iPod at reception?

Oh, my, sorry to hear that G.