makeup artist ideas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

makeup artist ideas?

Is there anyone you guys can recommend for makeup? I am not sure how to book it. I've tried a few vendors but they are all about $200 for the bride alone (incl trial) and then $50-100 per bridesmaids.

I am having a bit of sticker shock-- its just makeup! You don't even get to keep it for those prices.

Is there anyone out there that's cheaper? None of my BMs want their makeup done and I really cannot afford to do all of us- it'd be about $600 plus tip!! I think I'll be the only one.

Is it lame for me to go to a salon to have it done (but where??) and still have a hair stylist come to the house?? I dont wanna have to go out to have makeup done at the last minute but I also don't want makeup done at 9am for my evening wedding.

Please help!
    ~jen~

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clm77. Show clm77's posts

makeup artist ideas?

I have to be honest- $200 including a trial, travel, and day of makeup really doesn't seem that bad to me, from what I've read here. Yes, you're not keeping the makeup, but you're paying mostly for expertise, plus all the products and accessories that the artist maintains, plus his or her travel.

That being said, I'm sure there's someone cheaper. It seems pretty average to me that bride makeup is $100/day of (not including trial) and BMs $50-75.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinshee. Show tinshee's posts

makeup artist ideas?

If you do a search you'll find there have been a lot of make up threads lately with lots of repeat recommendations. :)

I used Sam from Girly Junk http://www.girlyjunk.com. She travels to you and did a great job. Her prices are on her page.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

makeup artist ideas?

I'm also using Kim Fosher and she is well under $200 for me. She is also doing some of my BM's and the moms.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

makeup artist ideas?

If the recommended artists don't work out for you, I would second the vote for going to a makeup counter and talking to some of the artists. I know my friend paid approx. $75 for a makeup artist she used who worked at the Bobbi Brown Counter at Neiman's. She was married a year ago so the prices may have increased slightly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

makeup artist ideas?

Kim Fosher and Sam from Girly Junk (her assistant too) are both booked. My wedding is August 18, which I hear is a popular date. Lucky me, eh!! :)

I may try the makeup counter idea. I def want a makeup lesson, but I dont want to look like "a clown" like some people have warned against. I need some new makeup anyway so maybe I will hit the MAC makeup place?

Keep comin w/suggestions if you have em!
    ~JEN~

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

makeup artist ideas?

If you do go to a makeup counter, I would definately call and either make an appt. or ask them what is a good time to go there. I went to the Bobbi Brown counter on Sunday at Bloomie's and it took longer than it should have because they only have two staff working the counter on Sunday. Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

makeup artist ideas?

I'm going to go ahead and feel like an idiot here, but can someone explain how counter makeup works? I've alwasy been too intimidated to approach those ladies. Do you pay for them to put makeup on you? Do you have to buy the stuff they use?

If someone can explain it im sure its a very nice service to have every so often!! :)

Jen

PS I was about to spend the $200 on myself but then they required my bridesmaids to also have service, and that was just too much. I am not going to force them to have their makeup done, and I dont expect them to splurge like I am. I am not willing to pay for every girls makeup when its $100/each, its just not in my budget. THANKS!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lib2007. Show lib2007's posts

makeup artist ideas?

Hi Jen (hughkona)-

We are date twins! I haven't booked makeup either and your post is making me realize that it may not work out for me either. Looks like I'll be in the same boat as you...and I'm intimidated by makeup counters too....great! Anyway, best of luck, keep us posted on what you end up doing! Like you, I am not willing to ask bridesmaids to get their makeup done, and $200 is a bit out of my budget too. So, sorry that I can't really be of any help, but I do empathize. Good luck w/ everything!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

makeup artist ideas?

Hughkona,

As others have mentioned, going to the makeup counter is fairly easy. I suggest calling to find a less busy time because if you don't you may be there for a little while depending on other staff and store traffic. My experience was similar to what others have already mentioned. When I went to the counter, I told the artist that I was interested in trying the line since it was recommended to me for my wedding day but I had never worn it before. The artist asked if I had some time, asked me what my dress looked like, time of day/season the wedding was and took it from there. After he was done, I asked if he traveled (I wasn't sure). He did and is available for my date (a week before yours). When he was done, it was clear that there was not any expectation to buy anything (although, I did purchase some lipgloss). He told me to notice how my makeup looked when I went outside (I"m getting married outside) and call him with anything I noticed as well as feedback. All in all in was a painless experience with no pressure to buy anything or to hire him for my wedding. He also wrote down everything he used and said that if I did decide to work with him, that would be my trial run. HTH

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

makeup artist ideas?

Nene,

That sounds fabulous! I like the idea of trying someone out like that before hiring them. If you dont mind sharing, what does he charge? I wonder if its cheaper to go that route.

Thanks,

Jen

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

makeup artist ideas?

Jen,

I'll let you know. I haven't called him yet to give him his feedback. That's part of the discussion I was planning on having with him. I can't imagine that he'll be too much more than what my friend was charged a year ago ($75).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinshee. Show tinshee's posts

makeup artist ideas?

Jen- I think she books up pretty quickly, but you might want to check with Anna Miner. She's supposed to be very good (she was booked for my wedding and referred me to girly junk).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

makeup artist ideas?

i would recommend the spa makeup girls & guys over the department store girls & guys. the spa girls & guys have extensive cosmetology training, and have a makeup artistry license issued by the state, and is renewable every 2 years.

alot of times spa makeup artists work freelance and will do wedding & other special occasion makeup. shop around and research first. alot of these spas have special wedding make up packages.

alot of the ladies here have given several recommendations for good makeup artists..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

makeup artist ideas?

Hughkona,

I prommised I'd get back to you re: the cost of the makeup artist. It was more than I thought it would be (but I believe less than what you were quoted). The person from the Bobbi Brown counter at Bloomingdale's quoted me $150'/bride, $100/bm with a $300 minimum for coming to the site. Also, he would need to look into his schedule if I needed him to do more than 6 faces/day. Although, his prices were higher than I expected, I still second going to a makeup counter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

makeup artist ideas?

Hey everyone,

Thank you SOOOO much for all of your wonderful and supportive ideas. I assure you that I looked into each one of them! An old coworker of mine recommended the Mary Kay ladies that she had used for several friends' weddings and was using for her own. The prices are wonderful: $35 for the bridesmaids with free trial, $50 for bride with free trial, and as many ladies as we need to get the job done in a timely manner. free travel too! No obligation to buy the makeup whatsoever, but I will probably buy some as I need new stuff anyway!

I couldnt be happier. If I dont like the trial I am going to look for someone else,b ut the girls seem so laid back and looking out for my best interest. I have heard nothing but good reviews!!

I will let you know how the trial goes in June when I'mh ome next.

Jen

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

makeup artist ideas?

I've actually decided to go with the Mary Kay ladies. A former coworker of mine suggested one of them thats done her wedding and done the weddings of a few of her friends thats she's been in. I have been emailing them back and forth and let me tell you- so far, its like a godsend!! The girls are sooo laid back and cool. One of them is going on my trial "just for fun". I asked Trish what the deal was and why they were so nice and she said they really just love weddings and doing makeup and being part of the day. Its pretty sweet actualy. The prices are great- $35/pp and $50 per bride. Free trials for everyone. So, I've got nothing to lose. I hadn't really heard much about the makeup, so I polled a few of my friends and they gave me good reviews of the makeup quality. I feel like I sound like an ad right now!! So, we'll see how the trial goes. :)

Sections
Shortcuts