Oahu Honeymoon - all input welcomed!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

I have to travel to Oahu for business sometime this year - my choice as to when. We also happen to be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this year. We have been to Oahu in September and it seemed like "off season." Many Hawaii web sights 'claim' the weather is the same all year 'round. I am not so sure. What do you know about the 'best' time to visit and Is there a great but less expensive place to stay near Waikiki? Anything that is a must-do besides Pearl Harbor and Hanama Bay? (already on the agenda.) Thanks for all input. And Aloha! AB

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I was in Waikiki in August 2007. The weather was amazing. Mostly, you want to avoid hurricane season. We stayed at the Hyatt, but, quite honestly, I'm not sure I would recommend it. For one thing, we had to change rooms twice (first because they put the three of us in a room with one bed, then because they put us on a non-smoking floor, despite the fact that we reserved smoking). Our final room had a mountain view, even though we paid extra for a beach view, because, at that point, we didn't want to waste our entire vacation room-switching. And, when you're staying in a hotel that's about $150/night (after our corporate discount), I feel like internet should be included. Or breakfast. The buffet is nice, but it's $25/person. When we went, my friend insisted that we stay for at least 3.5 hours. :)

Anyway, as for must-do events.... it pretty much depends on how much activity you're looking for. My friends had a lot of fun snorkeling. We took a hike through the rain forest that was beautiful (and, incidentally, is where they film Lost, if that interets you at all). My favorite activity is sitting on the beach with a book, so I was pretty happy. Otherwise, I recommend doing a Hawaiian luau. It's a lot of fun, and an opportunity to try lots of native foods that might otherwise seem too daunting to order in a restaurant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I went in April a few years ago and the weather was gorgeous! It rained a couple times for like 20 minutes, but that's pretty typical of the weather there. We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which is right on Waikiki.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Go to the Crouching Lion Inn on the lee side of the island for some great food. You'll also be able to see the Chinaman's Hat and Rabbit Island as well as the crouching lion himself on the side of the Pali.
    Also, don't miss the Pali Lookout, one of the best views on the island, the wind is so strong there that legend has it that you could jump off the ledge and be blown right back up.
    The Buddhist Byodo-In Temple on the windward coast is beautiful and peaceful. Lovely gardens and peacocks and songbirds all around.
    I don't know if you've been to Pearl Harbor before, but the security line can be incredibly long. Be prepared for a long wait.
    Diamond Head is an outstanding view, but if you're going to make the hike up there bring lots of water.
    If you're into animals the zoo and aquarium are very good, the zoo has a "meet the elephants" time every afternoon, you get to pet them and give them some treats. The aquarium gives you a chance to see some mahi-mahi somewhere other than a dinner plate and their seahorses are lovely. Sea-Life Park (like Sea World, only smaller) has walruses, dolphins, sea lions, belugas and also a wholphin, since one of their belugas and one of their dolphins fell in love.

My uncle and his family live out there and he always brings us to a secluded waterfall and swimming hole that we hike out to from a dead end road. I wish I knew how to get there so I could tell you. There's almost never anyone there and it's breathtaking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

My parents went and I can't remember which island it was that they did this one but their description was so amazing I want to go to Hawaii to do it as well. They did a bike ride...the company picked them up at their hotel at an ungodly hour (like 3 am) and bussed them to the top of an old volcano where they got bikes, and rode them down to the bottom and watched the sunrise. And there was a breakfast cookout on the beach at the end and then they were taken back to their hotels.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

I went to Oahu at the tail end of March into early April. The weather was great. We stayed at the Hilton on Wakiki beach. We had a great time. We went to Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor Memorial and we took a small plane over to the big island of Hawaii, then over to Maui. I was so in love with the beaches in Maui as opposed to the ones in Oauhu. We wound up going to Keihi, god I hope I'm spelling that correctlt. It's a small town in Maui. Anyway, the beaches were killer. They were by far the best beaches I've ver been to. When I went back to Oahu, I was dissapointed and didn't go back to thier beaches. Oahu is great for shopping and night clubs and all that, but Maui is alot prettier if your looking for that quiet tropical escape. Have fun, congratulations on your anniversary!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from June09. Show June09's posts

My mom goes every year, she loves going in February/March. I think I've gone in February, May and August...I agree with my mom, everything is much greener in the winter...don't get me wrong, though, it will still be beautiful anytime and the weather is pretty much the same.

Tip: When we go to Pearl Harbor we wake up really early (it's still dark when we get there) and get in line. The tour buses will start arriving before they even open and the lines form quickly. Once you enter you get a number and you go watch a movie before going on the boat out to the memorial. If you get in line early you can see the first show, go out to the memorial and take as much time as you want to poke around the museum and shop when you come back. Otherwise you might be forced to spend a while waiting in line and for your movie to begin.

It might be hard to wake up if you're not a morning person, but at least you won't have to dedicate the entire day to see it. I think it's worth it.

I recommend climbing Diamond Head, snorkeling in Hanouma Bay, taking a drive along the North Shore where you'll find little surfer towns and shops and nicer beaches, I don't like Waikiki Beach...too small, you can also stop by the Dole Pineapple Plantation on the way to the North Shore...I like to make a pit stop for pineapple ice cream, otherwise it's not a big deal. The Pali lookout, I liked the luau at Paradise Cove. We always eat at Duke's at the Outrigger Waikiki.

Edited to add: Also you cannot bring bags at Pearl Harbor...not even a camera case (you can bring the camera). Just leave everything in the car.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I second Duke's and the Outrigger! I recommend the pie!

[Quote]My mom goes every year, she loves going in February/March. I think I've gone in February, May and August...I agree with my mom, everything is much greener in the winter...don't get me wrong, though, it will still be beautiful anytime and the weather is pretty much the same.

Tip: When we go to Pearl Harbor we wake up really early (it's still dark when we get there) and get in line. The tour buses will start arriving before they even open and the lines form quickly. Once you enter you get a number and you go watch a movie before going on the boat out to the memorial. If you get in line early you can see the first show, go out to the memorial and take as much time as you want to poke around the museum and shop when you come back. Otherwise you might be forced to spend a while waiting in line and for your movie to begin.

It might be hard to wake up if you're not a morning person, but at least you won't have to dedicate the entire day to see it. I think it's worth it.

I recommend climbing Diamond Head, snorkeling in Hanouma Bay, taking a drive along the North Shore where you'll find little surfer towns and shops and nicer beaches, I don't like Waikiki Beach...too small, you can also stop by the Dole Pineapple Plantation on the way to the North Shore...I like to make a pit stop for pineapple ice cream, otherwise it's not a big deal. The Pali lookout, I liked the luau at Paradise Cove. We always eat at Duke's at the Outrigger Waikiki.

Edited to add: Also you cannot bring bags at Pearl Harbor...not even a camera case (you can bring the camera). Just leave everything in the car.[/Quote]