On a budget dishes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCLifestyleStaff. Show BDCLifestyleStaff's posts

On a budget dishes

More inexpensive recipes will start appearing in the Food section under the label "On a budget." If you have dishes that fall into this category, we'd like to know about them. Please share your dishes here!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoyLynne. Show JoyLynne's posts

On a budget dishes

Well, this is a favorite in my family. I usually have these ingredients on the shelf b/c I stock up when the sales hit the stores. Once beef is at a reasonable price, I make the dish. It's quick, easy and good!

Ingredients [good for four in my family]:
    1 large can of Campbells Tomato Soup [use an extra small can for added sause]
    1 pound ground beef (85%lean)
    1 large Bermuda Onion
    1 pound pasta (choices: spag, mini penne, eggbows, elbow)
    Garlic Salt (to taste)

Get cooking
    Boil pasta until cooked - drain & set aside

Place beef in very large skillet (break apart with spatula) and season with garlic salt.

Cook [med heat] ground beef in large frypan/skillet (chopping it up) until browned. [drain excess fat, but leave meat in pan]

Add chopped bermuda onion to beef and cook mixture for approximately 4 minutes (stirring/mixing frequently)

Add Tomato Soup to meat mixture

Simmer/stir frequently for about 5 minutes

Add pasta to meat, mix it all together and serve. Can be done right in pan or in serving bowl.

Adjust by using 1.5 pounds of beef with additional tomato soup and another pound of pasta for additional servings. Any adjustments are easily made and according to taste: more tomato sauce, less beef, onions, garlic salt/powder. This can be topped with grated parm. or romano cheeses as well.

Some people enjoy putting this meal into a sandwich.

We often begin this meal with a small garden salad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chefa1a. Show chefa1a's posts

On a budget dishes

you can do alot with pork butt

roast, boneless ribs , stews

here is an Italian Ragu

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LDGourmet. Show LDGourmet's posts

On a budget dishes

Poached Chicken breasts can go a long way. See "Two Breasts Three Meals."

Don't forget legumes, and tofu or tofu products for inexpensive proteins that are heart healthy. Some of the soy proteins now come spiced and textured like ground beef. If your family is leery of tofu, try it in less obvious recipes. For example:
    make burritos or tacos and substitute Mexican spiced textured soy protein in place of half the ground beef or better yet, ground turkey.

Many delicious main course salads can be amped up with the addition of legumes like chick peas or lentils.

Curries of all types can be used to incorporate new flavors and cuisines in approachable ways.

A Frittata is a fun way to add an easy egg dish to the evening rotation. It's also fast and cheap. Use summer vegetables like zucchini and peppers. Bits of leftover cheeses or Romano/Parmiggiano Regiano...

Feel free to email me for more ideas or check my column.

Cheers and Enjoy!
    Jacqueline Church
    The Leather District Gourmet

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

On a budget dishes

We go vegetarian twice a week. Or sometimes we just have a large salad for dinner.
    Often we have "take homes" from a restaurant. I hardly ever cook beef at home - so when we eat out I usually order Prime Rib. I order the largest cut they have and take home most of it. Makes a wonderful salad for two - cut in thin slices.
    My real cheapo is this:
    - Cook any kind of pasta.
    - Drain and place on large platter
    - Top with Ricotta Cheese and Pesto.
    - Mix everything together.
    Sometimes I "splurge" and add some cut up veggies or frozen green peas for the last few minutes to the pasta while it is cooking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ce0. Show ce0's posts

On a budget dishes

As prices continue to go up shoppers really have to become more flexible about what they buy. Stop and Shop regularly marks down meat that has reached the sell by date and less than perfect produce. I save 50% and more by purchasing these mark downs. The meat I just bring home and put it in my freezer. The produce has days of life left in it. I make ratatouille quite a bit. It is a tasty way to use up left over fresh vegetables.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

On a budget dishes

I agree with ce0 - if folks spent less on prepackaged, prepared foods they could save a lot of $$. making pizza at home from packaged dough, leftover sauce and veggies is better for you and probably tastier than what you'd order out for or buy frozen. Buying in bulk and freezing is also a good way to buy meats. I love the stop & shop discount rack - there's always peppers on that rack, and I roast them up and toss them with olive oil, parsley and garlic. Risotto is one of my favourite "cheapie" dishes - Costco and BJ's sell big containers of arborio rice, which keeps, and a cup of rice goes a long way, and if you add different things: shrimp, or chicken, veggies, or whatever you like, you can have a really nice meal without feeling like you're skimping.
    I'm also with Pingo, too - I always order prime rib when I go out because the leftovers make great stir fries the next day, or killer philly cheesesteaks...
    Its all about being smart about what you buy, and its quality over quantity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

On a budget dishes

I love the stop & shop discount rack - there's always peppers on that rack, and I roast them up and toss them with olive oil, parsley and garlic

Hi Leas, Why in the world did I never thing of that? Will from now on look for the discounted peppers - Thanks! - P

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

On a budget dishes

That meal got me thru college. We called it American chop suey. We added green peppers. Made enough to last for days.
    [Quote]Well, this is a favorite in my family. I usually have these ingredients on the shelf b/c I stock up when the sales hit the stores. Once beef is at a reasonable price, I make the dish. It's quick, easy and good!

Ingredients [good for four in my family]:
    1 large can of Campbells Tomato Soup [use an extra small can for added sause]
    1 pound ground beef (85%lean)
    1 large Bermuda Onion
    1 pound pasta (choices: spag, mini penne, eggbows, elbow)
    Garlic Salt (to taste)

Get cooking
    Boil pasta until cooked - drain & set aside

Place beef in very large skillet (break apart with spatula) and season with garlic salt.

Cook [med heat] ground beef in large frypan/skillet (chopping it up) until browned. [drain excess fat, but leave meat in pan]

Add chopped bermuda onion to beef and cook mixture for approximately 4 minutes (stirring/mixing frequently)

Add Tomato Soup to meat mixture

Simmer/stir frequently for about 5 minutes

Add pasta to meat, mix it all together and serve. Can be done right in pan or in serving bowl.

Adjust by using 1.5 pounds of beef with additional tomato soup and another pound of pasta for additional servings. Any adjustments are easily made and according to taste: more tomato sauce, less beef, onions, garlic salt/powder. This can be topped with grated parm. or romano cheeses as well.

Some people enjoy putting this meal into a sandwich.

We often begin this meal with a small garden salad.[/Quote]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

On a budget dishes

[Quote]I love the stop & shop discount rack - there's always peppers on that rack, and I roast them up and toss them with olive oil, parsley and garlic

Hi Leas, Why in the world did I never thing of that? Will from now on look for the discounted peppers - Thanks! - P[/Quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

On a budget dishes

Hey there Pingo ---
    Sometimes theres better things than just peppers, I usually find artichokes, or eggplants, many times, mushrooms. good if youre going to use them straight away.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sedriaandrea. Show sedriaandrea's posts

On a budget dishes

This web site offers lots of gourmet dishes on a budget: http://poorgirlgourmet.blogspot.com/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

On a budget dishes

We make this home style pot roast. You can use a cheap cut of meat because the slow cooking tenderizes it and renders out the fat.

We also use lots of aromatic vegetables in the sauce, which also makes it more filling and nutritious. Serve with pasta, rice, or portatoes and you can feed the whole family for less than $15. The vegetable conten also makes it a complete meal.