OT-Car Insurance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

OT-Car Insurance

Sorry for the OT post...so I've had Commerce Insurance for as long as I can remember. I, like many others, was a too-fast driver when I was younger. My step points have gone down since last year (so my surcharge went down by $180!), yet my policy as a whole went up by $100. FI says this is because Commerce is a smaller company, so I went online to Progressive and did a quote. I had my coverage selections page in front of me, so I entered everything in the same as Commerce had it...the difference between the two policies was $1,000! Is this even possible?? I've never had competitive auto insurance before, so I'm thinking there must have been a mistake. Has anyone else switched companies since MA changed? Does anyone have Progressive, or any of the other companies that we didn't have access to before? I'd like to switch my company if I will save that much money-any insights? Thanks in advance! Oh. P.S., we need to add renters insurance on to our policy as well, so I'd like to find a company that can do both. Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

OT-Car Insurance

I have MetLife for both auto & home (renters) and have no complaints so far.  I have it through work, so it's taken out of my bi-weekly paycheck.  My car insurance is the lowest it's ever been, but that's probably because I keep moving farther from the city and haven't been getting speeding tickets (knock on wood!).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

OT-Car Insurance

I had Commerce for 10 years and then decided to do some pricing.  I moved from the city to the North shore and Commerce said it would be more $$.  I didn't buy it.  I used Liberty mutual and am saving $600  I have no tickets, fines, points....nothing...I think Commerce was making some money for years.  Additionally, my parents and brother just changed their policies from Commerce to Liberty and are saving thousands between them.  So, my advice, SHOP AROUND!! :)  It is definitely worth it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

OT-Car Insurance

i worked for Liberty and found them higher than average.  it was also easy for me because I could have the premiums deducted from my paycheck.  they were good when I got broadsided several years back.

we now have amica, and DH had an accident last year, wasn't too happy as they automatically assumed we were latino and spoke only spanish (DH is italian) because we live in somerville...we had to request an english speaking adjuster.     we didn't have rental, so we went thru the other company who paid the entire cost of our rental.  we wound up having to fight amica to have our deductible waived, and they wouldn't waive it until we told them the other company was paying the full cost of our rental. 

our policy is up for renewal and we're researching companies...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

OT-Car Insurance

edited to add:  this is the first time progressive is writing policies in MA...DH husband had them in NY and liked them 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SummerWed09. Show SummerWed09's posts

OT-Car Insurance

I have commerce and hate them! They sent me a thing in the mail saying I could get a quote from them as well as other companies if I wanted. So I said sure. Mind you, it took them months to send me the quote back with the results. No tickets, accidents, fines, etc, and the policy went up! How can that be when it should have gone down for safe driving and now that there are competitive rates?

I was in an accident in high school and they caused so many problems. Sent the check to the wrong autobody shop, who luckily called the company and didn't cash it, and the check was less my deductible even though it wasn't my fault, and I had to call them on that. Very annoying!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

OT-Car Insurance

katel,

Make sure the Progressive quote is for a 12-month policy. I think some of the new carriers to MA were doing 6-month policies to get you to move and then they can change the premium to another rate after that. By the way, I work in insurance and Commerce is not that small of a company. They are the biggest auto writer in MA and were recently purchased by (I think) a Spanish insurance company. I'd check around for the best rates - there are definitely good choices out there! I'd also suggest you do your renters with the same carrier as the auto - you will get good discounts that way. HTH

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

OT-Car Insurance

Also check to see if you are getting every discount available to you.  Do you have AAA?  You can get a discount.  If you combine your homeowners and car you can get another discount.  What about multiple cars/drivers?

My DH and I just went through this since I owned my home pre us, I had the combined homeowners and car insurance plus AAA.  When we were thinking about adding him to my policy my insurance agent was great and ran different ways to insure the both of us.  They did something technical and we are insured on each other's cars but he is not yet on my policy because of his speeding ticket and me having a new car or something like that, it was a few months ago that we did this so the details are hazy right now but at the time the agent laid everything out and let us make the choice on how we wanted to go. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from foolforfood. Show foolforfood's posts

OT-Car Insurance

I would definitely shop around and call a few agents.  It's not surprising that you'll find a huge price differential among competitors.  Don't rely on online quotes, ask the source directly.

Also, you may find that adding renter's insurance will decrease your auto insurance  premium.