OT- Graduating HS with a degree in stupid

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

This weekend, for the third time, in a month,  after someone asked my twins' names, definately boy name, girl name,  -  and commenting on how much bigger the boy  is than  the girl - the person asked  "Are they identical twins? "
         This morning, a  bridal store clerk, reading a text on  Organic Chemistry at the counter, and wearing a shirt embroidered with her college logo, fussed over the babies this morning.   Then she cautioned me not to let them get out of their carriage (a pram) and crawl around   the dresses,  because she and the other associate would "catch heck" from the boss, who was out back.  When I said, they are only 2 months, they can't get out of the carriage  or crawl.  the young woman got all flushed and embarrassed, and said,  oh were they born with something, you know, Downs or something.   Huh?

My 7 year old sister, with us, said  babies can't climb and crawl when they are born!  The clerk said "really?",  and by God she was serious.
         We were behind a rack trying not to bust laughing when this clerk said to the other - Can't babies crawl when they are born?

Are they raising children in caves with mushrooms these days? 

Would you be tempted  to buy a $1000 to $2,000 item from such a knowledgeable young lady?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sigh...probably stupid.  But, I suppose if she was an only child and didn't grow up around babies, she may have only seen babies who could crawl or that she always assumed they could if only they weren't held hostage by the carriage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your sister had been exposed to babies in the home. This girl obviously hasn't...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

Never even seen a movie or a  video with  a baby or toddler?  Never had people discussed in a biology class?  Never lived in a neighborhood, or went to a mall, or read a book or magazine?  By college age, that is really pathetic.  Don't parents or schools teach children anything?

Time for real life.

On "identical",  my husband has twice replied - if you had't noticed,  boys and girls are different,  they can't be called identical, which means "the same."  One guy actually said "really?  The others always catch on.  They just don't think  think before speaking.

Now I can relate to the ten or so year old  boy who asked,  when one is a girl do you call them fraternal twins, or is there a right word?  I always found fraternal twin girls a little oxymoronic. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Were they born with something???  That cracks me up.  Some people just don't know much about babies, but that's funny.  The whole twins thing can be confusing on occasion. 
    Growing up I had girlfriends who were fraternal twins and it just confused the heck out of me because even then I didn't think a word like fraternal could refer to girls... so I always thought they were identical even though they look nothing alike... silly, I know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Prepare your children for this question for the rest of their lives. I am a 26 year old fraternal twin (boy/girl). My brother and I have been answering the "Are you identical" question throughout our entire lives. 
    It is not limited to store clerks, I have had other lawyers, college professors, judges and many a store clerk ask me this. 
    I have a prepared answer. 
    "Well, he is a boy and I am a girl, and in order to be identical, you have to have identical genes."
    Then, I wait, and...gradually, the light will go on, They will say "Oh" and turn red for asking such a dumb question! I say, Dont worry, I get that question all the time. 
    .....I expect to be answering it my entire life. 
    Good luck to ya! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Twin note - If the twins are not identical, they are called fraternal. 
    Fraternal only means the babies were their own separate eggs at conception, they did not split from one egg. 
    So, it is not oxymoronic to call the girls fraternal if they are fraternal twins. 
    You are either identical or fraternal twins - no matter the genders. 
    Hope that helps!!
    On a side note - you can even look very very similar and still be fraternal. The Olsen twins are fraternal twins. 
    Also - I should add - People have asked my brother and I if we are identical when we are both standing right in front of them. We just look at each other and sigh, and give our prepared answer. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Also - I should add - People have asked my brother and I if we are identical when we are both standing right in front of them. We just look at each other and sigh, and give our prepared answer. 
    [/Quote]

I think you should respond, "Why yes, I'm just in drag right now."

I had no idea people were this clueless! :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from that-guy. Show that-guy's posts

[Quote]

Never even seen a movie or a  video with  a baby or toddler?  Never had people discussed in a biology class?  Never lived in a neighborhood, or went to a mall, or read a book or magazine?  By college age, that is really pathetic.  Don't parents or schools teach children anything?

Time for real life.

On "identical",  my husband has twice replied - if you had't noticed,  boys and girls are different,  they can't be called identical, which means "the same."  One guy actually said "really?  The others always catch on.  They just don't think  think before speaking.

Now I can relate to the ten or so year old  boy who asked,  when one is a girl do you call them fraternal twins, or is there a right word?  I always found fraternal twin girls a little oxymoronic. 

[/Quote]

Jesus lady - people are stupid.  That's not going to change.  They have nothing better to talk about so they talk to you about your kid.  If you don't want to deal with it, shut yourself inside your house, don't bring your kids outside, and get on with life.  You're not the first person to have people ask about your twins.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

She must think that the ETrade commercial w/ the talking infant buying stock on line is real.  If they can conduct business when they are a few months old, of course they are able to crawl as soon as they emerge from the womb!

I give you credit for making it behind the rack before your burst out laughing. Just when you  think people can't get any dumber, they do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

[Quote]Twin note - If the twins are not identical, they are called fraternal. 
    Fraternal only means the babies were their own separate eggs at conception, they did not split from one egg. 
    So, it is not oxymoronic to call the girls fraternal if they are fraternal twins. 
    You are either identical or fraternal twins - no matter the genders. 
    Hope that helps!!
    On a side note - you can even look very very similar and still be fraternal. The Olsen twins are fraternal twins. 
    [/Quote]

My two nieces are identical twins. And of course my sister had the same questions asked ad nauseum. My sister was composed when asked and always gave the same answer, "They are identical, but as different as day and night - and we love them both very much."
    To be honest, I just never understod, why it is s-o-o-o important for strangers to know if twins are identical or fraternal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I have asked people this exact question Pingo, because I dont get it either. 
    They say - well, I think it would be cool to be an identical twin.
    I always get asked, so what is it like to be a twin or do I like being a twin?
    To which I reply, well how do you like being a single?
    They look at me blankly, I say well I have always been a twin, same as you have always been a single. So, I cant really compare it to anything, same as you cant answer if you like being a single. 

Its slightly snotty, I admit, but I do get sick of the twin questions! especially, the dumb ones.