OT- Marco Polo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT- Marco Polo

This is from the Tales from the City section of the Globe magazine:

"I was shopping in the grocery aisle of the local Wal-Mart when I became distracted by a desperate husband trying to locate his wife. "Yvonne, where are you?" he wailed. In his search, he lost control of his cart, and with a crash, our carriages locked. Undeterred, he pursed his lips and began to whistle in a lamenting birdcall. It sounded something like: wa wa wa wee. Above the store clatter came a melodious trill emanating from the frozen food section: wee wee wee wa. A broad smile filled his face, and the birdman helped me unlock the carriages before heading over to his mate."

It made me smile because, on occasion, my DH and I have played an impromptu game of Maro Polo in a store when we can't see each other. It's not original, but it works and usually no one tries to play along but us.

My question is: do you and your SO have a unique way of finding each other in crowded places?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

OT- Marco Polo

My husband whistles and I follow the sound =)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

OT- Marco Polo

Sorry I find that a bit annoying and obnoxious. Pick a meeting place at a certain time to meet back up again but yelling and whistling is a bit much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

OT- Marco Polo

It's not unique. We use our cell phones.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT- Marco Polo

allready married- who plans ahead to lose sight of each other in a crowded place? I'm not talking about planning to split the grocery list in half and then seperating, I'm talking about when you look up and suddenly the person you're with isn't there anymore.

Greenclown- Thank goodness for cell phones!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT- Marco Polo

Sorry, what the heck is Marco Polo?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

OT- Marco Polo

Cosmo you don't know Marco Polo? We used to play it all the time in the pool as kids.

One person (generally the person seeking someone) yells Marco, and the person that is sought yells Polo and you follow the voice until you find the person.

In the pool the person that was "it" closed their eyes and yelled Marco the rest of us yelled Polo and tried to avoid being tagged. If we were then we had to close our eyes and yell Marco trying to tag the next person. Oh and you were allowed to move after you yelled Polo which is why it was actually difficult.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

OT- Marco Polo

We use phones; but in really crowded places (games. etc). my Fi and I put a arm up in the air, like you have a question.

His friends started thisa LONG time ago - It works. (clearly not in the stores) but at sports games, concerts, etc. We seem to find eachother (when cell phones don't work or you aren't carrying it!) and all of his friends know this too so when we are all out, we can all find eachother!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

OT- Marco Polo

My husband and I don't have any sort of a system, but my sisters and I do...we do the "sst". If you make that sound with your mouth, it's incredibly easy to hear in a crowd. You don't even have to do it too loudly, there is something about the sound that it makes that makes it easy to hear. We've done this for years whenever we get separated.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT- Marco Polo

katie, thanks for the explanation.

As for us, I just go to the nearest bar. I know DH will show up there eventually....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT- Marco Polo

wendy, thanks for the explanation.

As for us, I just go to the nearest bar. I know DH will show up there eventually....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

OT- Marco Polo

Cosmo that's great!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT- Marco Polo

We generally use our cell phones. Or in grocery stores or at Costco - we just go to the book or magazine section, and just wait there for the other person. Mr. Pingo likes to "get lost" a lot. LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT- Marco Polo

Sorry Cosmo! I should have explained Marco Polo in my OP in case anyone hadn't heard of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT- Marco Polo

[Quote]We use phones; but in really crowded places (games. etc). my Fi and I put a arm up in the air, like you have a question.

His friends started thisa LONG time ago - It works. (clearly not in the stores) but at sports games, concerts, etc. We seem to find eachother (when cell phones don't work or you aren't carrying it!) and all of his friends know this too so when we are all out, we can all find eachother![/Quote]

That's a great idea!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT- Marco Polo

Pinkie, Marco Polo is a long lost game. You made me smile by mentioning it. Thanks!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT- Marco Polo

[Quote]Pinkie, Marco Polo is a long lost game. You made me smile by mentioning it. Thanks![/Quote]

Long lost? I was born in the early 80's, it's sad a game can disappear so fast! I know what I'll be teaching my little cousins at the next pool party.

I'm bringing Marco Polo back!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

OT- Marco Polo

Actually, the kids play this a lot nowadays. At least at the pools and camps we frequent. In the 60s, when I was a little one, I don't recall playing it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

OT- Marco Polo

I wish DH and I had a system. I'm always stopping to look at something - he keeps going and then all of a sudden we're separated. The last time (at Target) I figured I'd wait at the front of the store - he, however, was scouring the Christmas decoration dept - the last place he saw me.
    When he did find me I got an earful about how worried he was that I'd been abducted! (I'm not 12 by the way).
    It was actually kinda sweet. :)
    We're not big into carrying our cell phones - he leaves his in the car most of the time anyway so I guess we're going to have to develop a "bird call"...or start playing Marco Polo. I do like that idea.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

OT- Marco Polo

Ugh, I hate losing FI! We both tend to wander in stores, so we lose each other frequently. We have tried lots of things, but basically whoever stops wandering first is in charge of finding the other one.
    Like Cosmo said, head to the nearest bar! In my FI's case, I head to electronics or mens suits, whichever the store may be. FI finds me in shoes or the sale rack.

We have tried cell phones, but my FI never hears it or me if I am yelling his name. I once tailed him 5 aisles in a Walmart, as I didnt want to scream his name, but I was saying FI, FI, FI. I couldnt catch him for the 5 aisles to say - Are you for serious!!

And I am only 5'1, so sticking my hand up doesnt get me too far, although it is a great idea!! FI says he just looks for the short girl scurrying between people to find me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

OT- Marco Polo

ETA: My dad has a family whistle/birdcall. We were trained to come home if we heard the whistle in the neighborhood as kids.
    My dad tried it while on our last family vacation - we all still come!!

(Kids and dogs - whistles and leashes for both! Anyone seen a kid on a leash? I did the other day, I was a little horrified but understood the point I guess. Still not getting one for my kid!)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT- Marco Polo

You know beagles - children in a leash is quite common in Europe. Are Europeans smarter that we? Just asking. They are not like a dog leash at all - more like the leashes one can buy at Disney World.
    I was fortunate to have quite well behaved children. I told them to hold on to my shopping cart while shopping, and they always held hands w/ me crossing streets and parking lots.
    But if I had an unruly child, I would not for a second hesitate put him or her on a leash. Safety first for the child. (Or teach them to behave and you don't have to).
    Some children are just unmanageable. I met some of them yesterday doing my grocery shopping. This woman was shopping w/ 4 children in tow. One was sitting in the cart, but the other 3 made such a nuisance of themselves running around the store, playing hide-and-seek. Screeming on top of their lungs. It was quite obvious this mom had no control over her children. And she just didn't care at all.
    A leash law for children is remote. But there is absolutely nothing wrong restraining your children. It is for their own safety. - Pingo

[Quote]ETA: My dad has a family whistle/birdcall. We were trained to come home if we heard the whistle in the neighborhood as kids.

(Kids and dogs - whistles and leashes for both! Anyone seen a kid on a leash? I did the other day, I was a little horrified but understood the point I guess. Still not getting one for my kid!)[/Quote]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

OT- Marco Polo

[Quote]

(Kids and dogs - whistles and leashes for both! Anyone seen a kid on a leash? I did the other day, I was a little horrified but understood the point I guess. Still not getting one for my kid!)[/Quote]

Ha Ha! My dog does not come very well to the command come or to her name but we have been whistling a specific cartoon theme song to her since she was a puppy. No matter what she is doing she will stop dead and come to her theme song when we whistle it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

OT- Marco Polo

Beagles - I was at my parents' house earlier this week and my dad whistled for the dog. My head perked right up and I realized that we grew up responding to the same whistle as the dog. (New dog, same whistle) Pavlov anyone?
    DH and I do not have a call, but I remembered this post when I was watching reruns of the current Top Chef season and one of them mentioned that she does similar calls with her husband as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT- Marco Polo

[Quote]ETA: My dad has a family whistle/birdcall. We were trained to come home if we heard the whistle in the neighborhood as kids.

I love the leash idea for 3 reasons: the obvious safety factor, the fact that a little arm doesn't have to be about tugged off (would anyone like their hand held way over their heads all afternoon?), and the fact that this allows both hands to be free for the child to hold a stuffed animal and scratch an itch. It may seem restrictive, but I think it affords the child far more personal freedom than being yanked around by the arm or stuffed all afternoon in a stroller.

ETA: I've seen plenty of well behaved, happy children on leashes lately. They are little backpacks, actually, that are stuffed animals. The leash is the tail. It's adorable and they are not screaming, unmanageable, untrained brats.

Sections
Shortcuts