OT- nylons or not?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT- nylons or not?

The last time this topic came up, it was totally divided by age. Very funny!

While "my generation" wouldn't dream of going to a formal event without nylons, it seems that "you youngsters" don't ever wear them.

Personally, I think bare legs are fine for an outside summer event, but for a black-tie optional event in November, not so much.

(BTO at 3 pm? how gauche!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I think it is fine to go without nylons, I dislike them and the way they look....but will you be cold?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sulesq. Show sulesq's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I would say that OPAQUE tights are 'mod' right now....not those heinous sheer ones.

Not sure if you want to look 'mod' at a black-tie wedding though. I say no nylons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I don't know about you girls, but I don't take fashion hints from celebrities on the red carpet. No one has seen that much of my chest except my husband.

I can't imagine going to a formal event in bare legs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

OT- nylons or not?

Red carpet celebrities wear long dresses and/or live in California and they are celebrities. These are situations that don't require nylons.

As much as I HATE nylons (not really a strong enough word), I think an evening wedding, in New England, in the cold, with leg showing, when you are just an average Joe, requires nylons

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinshee. Show tinshee's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I rarely do.

I have worn the ones with the open toe, but for me the part that is worse is the top. I've found "low rise" that are a little more comfortable (I hate how the others roll down!), but they are hard to track down. I almost NEVER wear "nude" or brown colored stockings because they always look different from my real skin so I think it looks strange to have brown legs and white (because I'm pretty fair, so even nude looks brown) everything else. So I usually go without.

I will at those times sometimes wear a long dress coat if I'm worried about being cold outside. If I absolutely MUST wear stockings, I try to go with gartered ones.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

OT- nylons or not?

For me it is a preference thing, not sure where I fall in the old or not old set at 32. For summer sure no problem I would go without nylons. If I am going somehwere fancy and have to wear something more than a sundress then I break out the nylons.

In the fall/winter/spring I will always wear tights or nylons depending on the outfit because I am cold all the time. The thing for me is that I feel it gives the outfit a more polished look and for the celebs on the red carpet I always think that they missed something when getting dressed.

I don't find them uncomfortable, maybe because I was used to tights because of all those dance classes upuntil high school??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I just think they pinch. (and I know how to read a chart, it's not like I'm trying to squeeze myself into an A when I should be a B.)

And since I don't have runway thighs, the thigh highs just cause unsightly lumps and bumps.

I try to avoid them!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summer07. Show summer07's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I hate nylons with a passion, but my advice is wear them, then check out the scene and take them off during the reception if they get uncomfortable or others aren't wearing them (or the party gets too drunk for anyone to notice!) That's what I did at a January wedding, however it was not BTO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinshee. Show tinshee's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I wear the right size... the most uncomfortable part is on my "girlie parts", which is why I would choose garters over "pantyhose".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT- nylons or not?

do you know that you're supposed to wear underwear under the pantyhose?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I am 27 and always wear nylons - agree if you are going flesh tones spend a bit more on the silkier ones from macys or whereever they dont tear as easily as the cvs ones - I end up spending more upfront but less over the long haul. I am in a business that we frequently have professional coaches as guest speakers, I am also in Grad School and they offered a dress for success event - every Professional coaching type event I have ever attended stressed the necessity of hose for women from the months of September to May. Different programs each time. So I cant even imagine not wearing them for a wedding, none-the-less a BTO one. I have also attended many a cocktail and bt party here and rarely do I see a well-dressed woman withOUT but hey to each their own.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from itny_toy. Show itny_toy's posts

OT- nylons or not?

Nylons - YUCK! But I am a celebrity.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADK88. Show ADK88's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I refuse to wear nylons until I hit 60! :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinshee. Show tinshee's posts

OT- nylons or not?

Ha ha ha. I DO. I guess my girls are just sensitive. ;-)

My mom does NOT wear underwear when she wears them, but that is one thing I did not inherit from her.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

OT- nylons or not?

would differ w/cosmo on this one (i'm 47, and of the same generation as cosmo)...i would definetly go w/nylons or tights for the wedding next weekend, as its a November wedding. you may want to consider a shawl or wrap as you may be cold.

if it were a hot weather wedding, i'd be "f the nylons". (is a hater of nylons)....

would also go with a closed toe shoe where its a "black tie optional" event...

maybe its just me, but I think pantyhose, trouser socks & tights in a variety of colors are a basic item in every woman's wardrobe, regardless of age...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT- nylons or not?

I'm in the nylons club, too, lary!

And I was in it before they invented pantyhose. You haven't lived until you've held up your "stockings" with a girdle!

And to totally hijack, laryan, what the hell do you wear for shoes while working retail? After a 10-hour shift on Saturday, I was seriously limping for the last 2 hours. Any advice? (We can wear anything as long as it's black.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

OT- nylons or not?

flat shoes are your best friends while working retail, but after standing for 8-10 hours no shoes are of any help. stock up on the ibuprofin, foot lotions, electric foot massagers and foot bath salts.

did start a new retail job a month ago...retail is the only industry hiring now..also has to wear "all black". couldn't resist the money, though. its more than double what I was making in my most recent retail job. don't think this job is going to last though. has long standing plans to go to the in laws in NY for thanksgiving...they aren't too happy.

remembers "stockings" days, and those nasty garter belts.

another "oldie but goodie" when I started that time of the month...pads didn't stick onto your panties, and thin, ultra thin, and longer pads weren't available...remember those god awful belts they had to insert the pad tabs thru? and every pad on the market was the size of a matress!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT- nylons or not?

OK, so it's not just me and my fat self weighing down my poor insoles! Good to know.....I did start popping Motrin after 4 hours of work and it did help a lot. I could even get out of the car when I got home!

SO RELIEVED you didn't advise me to go buy a pair of Crocs! I just don't think I could have done that!

And talk about a nightmare from yesteryear -- those "sanitary belts". Because the only ones who used tampons were sluts!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

OT- nylons or not?

i know crocs, and any type of "open" (toed or back) is usually a "no-no". i know in my store crocs are among the worlds no-no's...and you're ordered to visit the shoe dept to purchase a new pair of black shoes. another thing that may help...keep a spare pair nearby..in case you need/want to change shoes.

*hated those belts* and the only "real choice" for that time of the month were those gigantic matress pads. of course, pants were all the rage then (remembers having to wear a dress every day in elementary school) and of course the pants styles were "as tight as possible" back then...so the whole world basically knew when you had your period by the way your pants fit! loved it when I got my 1st box of tampax tampons (the only tampon brand really on the market then)...i also had to beg for my mom to buy me tampons

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from julper. Show julper's posts

OT- nylons or not?

Me too! I always feel like nylons are pinching in bad places. As for wearing them in your size, haha, I am too fat for A and too short for B, so either I have to wear them too tight or I have to wear them up to my bra. ugh! HATE them. And I can't wear those thigh-highs, either, because, as someone else said, I don't have runway thighs. I've gone to work wearing thigh-highs before and had to creep them down every hour so that by the end of the day they stopped at my knees! ugh. So yeah I'm in the HATE pantyhose camp, but I still wear them in November because I think my pasty legs look awful without them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

OT- nylons or not?

For me when waitressing and working retail I relied on good insoles, and focused on ones that cushioned the heel since that is where I felt it the most. That and I actually started sleeping with my feet up on one pillow under the blankets, when ever you can put your feet up.

Now I wear a ton of heels because I love them but my feet are loving them less. I bought a pair of yoga toes, I was skeptical but they are working very nicely for me right now. They stretch my feet (not just my toes) so the whole foot feels better. http://www.yogapro.com/index.html  there are testimonials from police officers, cocktail waitresses etc, and again I was skeptical but figured it was worth a shot. I must confess the main reason I bought them was my toes were looking crooked from being inside my shoes. They are going back to what I consider a normal position so I can go around barefoot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

OT- nylons or not?

i've noticed that the older I get, the less my feet can tolerate high heels...of course the extra weight, my new diabetes diagnosis and my sciatic nerve issues aren't helping!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT- nylons or not?

Oh, no, lary! diabetes? when did you get that good news? diet? pills? injections? what's happening....and how are you doing?

I know that you have to be EXTRA good to your feet with diabetes!

I don't even try to wear heels anymore....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

OT- nylons or not?

i got the diabetes news the beginning of July. i do have pills (melformin & something to protect the kidneys)...and has been told to keep an eye on not only my feet, but my teeth as well....

Sections
Shortcuts