OT - Scotty Dog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

So. My husband's 80-something year old grandmother has a scotty. Ever since she got it a few years ago I have been quiety carping about what a terrible idea it was to get her a small terrier. I swore up and down that one of these days something bad was going to happen, he was so spoiled and poorly trained.

And it did, but I not as I had thought. I thought for sure that he'd cause her to break a hip while she was walking him on the ice at 1am (she does this regularly, the nitwit) but instead he got out of the house and bit someone. He has an ear infection, so I'll bet someone went to pet his head and he disagreed with that plan.

Now the vet has talked her into putting the dog down. She hasn't done it yet, and I think it's absolutely unnecessary. I mean, she should not have this dog, but an owner that is willing to train the damn thing would be fine, imo.

I'm sure he's awful with kids and cats, but so are a lot of dogs. Can anyone think of a rescue group, shelter or whatever that might take this dog? I just don't think killing the dog is necessary or wise.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bean78. Show bean78's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

my husband family has a  cairn terrier that was adopted from a terrier rescue league. He used to live with a family that had kids and they would pull his tail and he finally had had enough and bit back. He went to the rescue league and they found  our family with no kids.  There is no need for that poor dog to be put down. poor thing. I found this one http://www.stcne.org/CY06Web/Rescue.htm

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

Take him up to the MSPCA in Methuen.  If the only time an animal has ever bitten anyone is when they were injured (infection counts), being treated while injured, or in a traumatic incident - like after a car accident,   or when threatened because owner attacked - they do not put it down.    That is normal dog behavior.  Do say - not good with little kids.  They note no kids under 10, or adults only, until they have had it a few days and seen for themselves which is more appropriate.   (Don't take it to Salem's shelter.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnneEnow. Show AnneEnow's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

The VET talked her into putting the dog down? What kind of Vet would suggest that!? That's awful - sounds like the Vet's trying to drum up business.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

what kind of vet is this? i bet if this vet's head hurt and someone insisted on touching it theyd snap too.  did the dog just snap once and that was it or did they attack the person and act very viscious? if so, then maybe there is an issue, but if the poor dog snapped once, no need to put him down! go to a new vet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

I have a hard time believing a vet would talk someone into putting an animal down to make more money for himself. I'm sure he feels that it's the best option considering she clearly doesn't have control over this dog and that a shelter would be wary of adopting out a dog that bit someone.

I'm familiar with the dog, though, and I know he isn't vicious. I mean, my husband visits and picks the dog up and generally manhandles it without incident and we're hardly regular enough visitors for the dog to recogninze us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

what does your grandmother want to do? my guess is the dog is company for her.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SummerWed09. Show SummerWed09's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

Can you post  a picture of the dog? I loooove dogs! I have 2 small ones of my own and I cannot imagine putting down a dog who is loving and sweet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

Grandmother does whatever an authority figure tells her to do.

The vet has a professional degree, ergo, she must do as he says.

I don't know if I'd call him loving and sweet. He's amusing and mostly benign. He's a scotty - high energy and high maintenance. I'd take him if it wasn't guaranteed that he'd shred my cats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

[Quote]Take him up to the MSPCA in Methuen.  If the only time an animal has ever bitten anyone is when they were injured (infection counts), being treated while injured, or in a traumatic incident - like after a car accident,   or when threatened because owner attacked - they do not put it down.    That is normal dog behavior.  Do say - not good with little kids.  They note no kids under 10, or adults only, until they have had it a few days and seen for themselves which is more appropriate.   (Don't take it to Salem's shelter.)[/Quote]

I agree.  One bite does not make the dog a biter, esp if he had an ear infection and someone tried to pet him.  If she doesn't want to keep the dog, take him to a no kill shelter.  I think if you explain the situation, they will be able to get someone to adopt the dog.  Small dogs are more likely to bite anyway [at least in my experience] so I'm sure the shelter has dealt w/ the issue before. 

I agree w/ not taking the dog to Salem.  It's harder to adopt a dog from there than it is to adopt a child.  They refused to let my sister adopt a dog b/c she worked!  They wanted someone to be w/ the dog at all times or for the dog not to be alone for more than 3-4 hours at a time!  This was for any dog, not just a particular dog.  It was unbelievable.  She ended up getting a dog at another shelter.  Def do not go to the Salem shelter.   Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

[Quote]I agree.  One bite does not make the dog a biter, esp if he had an ear infection and someone tried to pet him.  If she doesn't want to keep the dog, take him to a no kill shelter.  I think if you explain the situation, they will be able to get someone to adopt the dog.  Small dogs are more likely to bite anyway [at least in my experience] so I'm sure the shelter has dealt w/ the issue before. 

I agree w/ not taking the dog to Salem.  It's harder to adopt a dog from there than it is to adopt a child.  They refused to let my sister adopt a dog b/c she worked!  They wanted someone to be w/ the dog at all times or for the dog not to be alone for more than 3-4 hours at a time!  This was for any dog, not just a particular dog.  It was unbelievable.  She ended up getting a dog at another shelter.  Def do not go to the Salem shelter.   Good luck![/Quote]

Seriously, it really is harder to adopt a dog than a child!  My mom looked into adopting a mini schnauzer and was denied because she worked full-time and didn't have a fenced in yard.  She ended up getting a puppy from a breeder, but she would have rather adopted. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuzieQ2. Show SuzieQ2's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

Yeah, that doesn't sound like an aggressive dog to me, either; any dog can/will bite under the right (or wrong, I guess) circumstances.  You might also try Animal Rescue League in Boston. www.arlboston.org

Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

[Quote]I third the MSPCA. However,as a volunteer at the MSPCA in JP, I have to say that I understand the strict adoption policies. There are many, many pets who are there for the 3rd or 4th time because people worked too much, or didn't want to clean up after them anymore, are moving, or my favorite, just didn't  want anymore, so they abandon it. I realize its not a child, but it is traumatic and expensive to continue to rehome pets because their humans don't or won't plan accordingly. Unfortunately this spoils things for the genuinely good adopters some of the time, but I think that generally if people are willing to meet halfway- get a dog walker,  come home mid day etc. they are generally successful in adopting and keeping the pet.[/Quote]

Not all shelters will meet you halfway. It's either their way or the highway.  In my sister's situation, the dog would have been alone for 4 hours at most on work days b/c she worked 2nd shift and someone else would have been home in the evenings to walk the dog.  I sometimes wonder if shelters actually want to place dogs or not.  Who are they adopting these dogs out to? Even stay at home moms are gone for good portions of the day. 

My sister ended up taking home a Rottweiler mix that weighs more than she does and that had about 3 homes before she took him home.  Based on his sheer size, he was virtually unadoptable, so the shelter that she got him from did not ask too many questions b/c they were so happy to get rid of this dog.  She had more trouble trying to adopt a 50 lb lab mix than she did the 100+ lb beast she brought home.  He is the sweetest dog, although he does have anxiety issues and has to be crated when alone b/c otherwise he will tear up the house in a panic. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

[Quote]I third the MSPCA. However,as a volunteer at the MSPCA in JP, I have to say that I understand the strict adoption policies. There are many, many pets who are there for the 3rd or 4th time because people worked too much, or didn't want to clean up after them anymore, are moving, or my favorite, just didn't  want anymore, so they abandon it. I realize its not a child, but it is traumatic and expensive to continue to rehome pets because their humans don't or won't plan accordingly. Unfortunately this spoils things for the genuinely good adopters some of the time, but I think that generally if people are willing to meet halfway- get a dog walker,  come home mid day etc. they are generally successful in adopting and keeping the pet.[/Quote]

I get what you're saying.  My mom ended up getting a dog walker for her puppy, so that wasn't going to be an issue.  I guess the shelter didn't think she was a good fit or something.  Anyway, it all worked out in the end with the puppy.  She's quite the character!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine2008. Show sunshine2008's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

[Quote]I get what you're saying.  My mom ended up getting a dog walker for her puppy, so that wasn't going to be an issue.  I guess the shelter didn't think she was a good fit or something.  Anyway, it all worked out in the end with the puppy.  She's quite the character![/Quote]

I agree that it is nuts how strict some shelters are!
    I do volunteer work for teh shelter in Salem, and was not happy when I heard they want someone home all day. I understand that there are certain circumstances where an animal requires additional attention due to medical issues etc... But come on now, how many households can afford to just have someone home all day?
    FI and I work different hours, so we would be able to accomodate a dog, once my school is done, but I think it's crazy to have unreasonable expectations, which push people towards breeders or petshops.
    I also think help help's grandmother should bring it to the MSPCA, I have only heard good things with people adopting from teh Nevins Farm.
    You may also want to check out petfinder, because with the listed dogs up for adoption, there is the listing of rescue groups etc...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

Looks like a neighbor knew someone who would take the dog, so I guess that's that.

And the Salem shelter, Northeast Animal Shelter I think, is indeed unreasonable with its expectations. I guess they can be picky because there are so few dogs available for adoption up here, but they really do drive people to pet shops and breeders with their rigidity. Hardly seems wise to hold out for the perfect home for one dog if it causes 5 people to buy puppies from a puppy mill.

That's zealotry for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnneEnow. Show AnneEnow's posts

OT - Scotty Dog

I'm so glad she found someone to take the dog.  Thanks for the update.