OT- Where to live in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Hi everyone. This is off-topic but I figured many of you would have opinions.
    As some of you may know, my FI and I are looking to move into Boston in the next few months. FI is a total rural-suburb kid, from birth through college through law school.
    He really wants the city experience and being close to restaurants, bars etc. Not so much clubs :)
    He has no idea what he is really getting himself into, lol. Parking nightmares, small kitchens, no closets etc. I have tried to warn him, haha.
    That being said, any advice on where we should live?
    We like the North End, South End, Fenway/Kenmore areas of town but are willing to look just about anywhere. We would like to top off rent at 1500, ideally a one bedroom and can do a large studio, we have before. We are getting rid of one car too and we have a dog.

Any opinions on where we should go?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Are you set on boston or would you consider Cambridge? You could find some great places in Cambridge in/near Harvard or closer to Arlington.
    Also, I've heard great things about Charlestown.

Or the North Shore is beautiful too - Salem is kind of a combo of city living (albeit small compared to Boston) and rural-suburb. The water is an added bonus up that way.

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hi Beagles,

I'm not sure of current rents, but I'd look at Back Bay, Fenway/Kenmore areas. To me, that is the best place to be for restaurants and city living. I'd avoid totally the North End - parking is an absolute nightmare so if you have a car and don't want to rent a spot in a garage, just cross if off your list entirely.

Is your FI really up for this? You may want to look at JP and parts of Brighton, or even Newton first. You will still be close to the city, but will have slightly larger apts and much better parking options. You'll have more options w/ a dog too, than you would in downtown locations.

Good luck and happy hunting!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]
    Are you set on boston or would you consider Cambridge? You could find some great places in Cambridge in/near Harvard or closer to Arlington.
    Also, I've heard great things about Charlestown.

Or the North Shore is beautiful too - Salem is kind of a combo of city living (albeit small compared to Boston) and rural-suburb. The water is an added bonus up that way.

Good luck!

[/Quote]

Cambridge is another good option, but I don't think you are going to find much in the $1500 range. My DH lived there before we got married and was paying about $2k for a nice apt outside Harvard Square w/ parking. It was one of those old Victorians off Brattle that were converted into 4 units.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

If he likes the burbs, and you like walking to restaurants, I'd suggest JP or Roslindale.

JP is on the orange line, and Roslindale's on busses, but neither is too far from downtown, parking is a non-issue, and there's parkland aplenty. Dorchester's another good neighborhood, if you work with a realtor that knows the joint. There are a number of suburban, safe and quiet parts of Dorchester that are fairly T-accessible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheLongestTime. Show TheLongestTime's posts

I really love JP and even parts of Roslindale. Also Newton is really nice (although not in Boston obviously) and I am considering moving to that area myself. Stay away from South Boston if you have a car and like your sanity, the parking is an absolute nightmare.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

Double and triple parking is de rigeur in Southie. Not my cup of tea.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]

Cambridge is another good option, but I don't think you are going to find much in the $1500 range. My DH lived there before we got married and was paying about $2k for a nice apt outside Harvard Square w/ parking. It was one of those old Victorians off Brattle that were converted into 4 units.[/Quote]

I live in a modern 1 bedroom apartment in Cambridge with covered parking that allows pets for $1550/month.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

You can definitely get a 1 bedroom in those neighborhoods for $1500. Just prepare for it to be small. It may not have very many amenities (I'd guess it would be hard to find a dishwasher for that price. Look out for whether there is laundry in the building.) And it won't include parking.

Good luck! I'm a city gal myself and I love my 400 square foot apt in the heart of Boston :). Even if it doesn't have a dishwasher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Thanks so much! He is really set on Boston proper. He wants the whole city living thing because he wants a change of pace. He says he could never forgive himself if he was this close and never actually lived in the city. He has never lived in anything I would even consider a suburb really. He also went to UConn which is in cow country, lol.

Trust me, I know it is going to be a change for him, but he is dead set on it and very excited.
    I think he would love Fenway and our friends love Southie and Charlestown, despite both nightmare parking situations!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from girleee1287. Show girleee1287's posts

I would say Back Bay. I live in BB and love it. Additionally, I always feel safe and there are plenty of options close by. BB is convenient to buses, Orange LIne, Green Line, cabs as well as having Newbury Street, Boyleston, and the Charles River which is so nice to run on and enjoy the summer air. It does take getting used to not having as much space as the 'burbs though!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhbride09. Show nhbride09's posts

There are a lot of nice places in Bay Village which is a small community between the South End and Back Bay. It would be close to transportation and they offer resident parking there as well. Have fun apartment hunting!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

I dunno. I lived in the South End for a year and didn't care for it all. All those neighborhoods are full of rich professionals from out of state. Never felt like a home. It felt like staying in a hotel room I cleaned myself.

I prefer neighborhoods with a personality, where people still have the ever elusive Boston accent. Boston proper's lost it's soul.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]

I live in a modern 1 bedroom apartment in Cambridge with covered parking that allows pets for $1550/month.[/Quote]

Maybe it's the size that made the difference. He had a 2 level 2 bedroom apt. He grew up in a huge house, so he has to have big apts and houses. It's going to be fun when we move to DC in the fall and he gets a reality check re sizes and prices. :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mulizard17. Show mulizard17's posts

I love Charlestown myself....I've lived here for 4 years now. As bad as parking may seem, IMHO it's better in Charlestown than any other part of the city. I've lived in Brookline, Brighton and am very familier with the parkign situations in Back Bay and the South End and Charlestown parking is the best option...the only time it's a problem is during the evenings on the weekends when people come out for the great restaurants (Olives, Tangereino, etc.) and even then you can still find something, even if it's a few minutes walk away.

To me, Charlestown is the best combination of city living with a neighborhood feel...highly recommended!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

I've lived in Beacon Hill & the North End, and I would have to say the North End is great for restaurants...but it can get old pretty quickly. Depending upon where you are it can be VERY loud with college kids, ect. Beacon Hill is fantastic for being close to the city, and it is such a beautiful area. You will obviously have less space in BH, but i DEFINITELY think it is worth it. For 1500 you will probably have to make some compromises bc that is not very much downtown for a 1 bedroom.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 300dpi. Show 300dpi's posts

I lived in the Back Bay for 3 years. first year we spent $1400 on a furnished studio (i do not recommend a studio especially if you have a dog) and then the other two years $1375 (no dishwasher/no laundry) on a one bedroom that had a separate kitchen, living room, bedroom. Our second apartment was on Hereford/Newbury so it was a great location. Have a great time and enjoy it while your there :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Oh I'm so jealous! I wish my fiance wanted to move to the city! A bunch of my classmates (like all of them) live in Beacon Hill, South End, or Back Bay. I lived in Brighton center for a few years, but that's probably more residential than you're looking for. I'm not a huge fan of Southie, but some people love it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I think we are leaning towards Beacon Hill, South End, Back Bay or Fenway, in no particular order.
    It will be small, we know, but the experience of city living is so worth it. I am pumped and dont care where we live!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Moneypenny424. Show Moneypenny424's posts

I feel that if you are moving to Boston to get the "city" experience, you should move somewhere closer to the center of town than say, Brighton. I'd say BB, Beacon Hill, S. End, N. End...or depending on $$, the Fenway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Brookline? We had an apartment (huge, one bedroom) for
    $1425/month. Undercover parking garage under the building.

There is plenty about if you are willing to go up to $1500.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

I love Brookline! It is wonderful, and if you are near the coolidge corner area you aren't too far from back bay :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

I agree with Moneypenny that to be in the "city" you really need to be in BH, BB, North End or maybe South end, Cambridge

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

Oh, if you live down there, avoid basement and first floor apartments. BB, South End, Fenway/Kenmore, etc all have a lot of rats and they chew through screens.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

Wow we never had issues with rats where I was in brookline - that's sad. I love the area, and you can walk and eat its great!

My brother lived there for 7 years, I lived there for 2 - right on Beacon Street by Coolidge Corner.