Premarital Counseling/Workshop

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from June09. Show June09's posts

Hi. I am looking for recommendations for some kind of premarital workshop or course that is not overly religious. Anywhere in Massachusetts or Connecticut, even New York would work. I have seen favorable reviews on here for the Paulist Center in Boston, but their web site says it's for couples planning to marry in a church. We are planning an outdoor ceremony and most likely being married by a JP.

Thanks in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The Paulist Center is great. When I was there, there were tons of couples who were interfaith and were getting married in churches, temples, and by JPs. They won't keep you out b/c you aren't planning on getting married in a church. They do give you a certificate at the end telling you that you've completed the marital counseling required by the Arch Dioceses of Boston, but if you aren't Catholic you can just toss the certificate. We needed it so we could get married, but there were Jewish couples there who didn't need the certificate but wanted to take the class. HTH.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from June09. Show June09's posts

Thanks, I will try contacting them. I guess it can't hurt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

If you don't need it to get married I wouldn't do it.
    We had to and I went to the Paulist Center in Waltham (I think that was the name) and quite honestly thought it was a complete waste of time. The exercise they make you do are not worth while and we came away with nothing useful.
    If you are looking for some guidance of some sort I think I would try couple counseling or if financial meet with an advisor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]
    If you don't need it to get married I wouldn't do it.
    We had to and I went to the Paulist Center in Waltham (I think that was the name) and quite honestly thought it was a complete waste of time. The exercise they make you do are not worth while and we came away with nothing useful.
    If you are looking for some guidance of some sort I think I would try couple counseling or if financial meet with an advisor.
    [/Quote]

That's odd. Tons of ladies on here have posted how they and their husbands to be enjoyed the program. I went to the one in Boston - and that's the only one I've ever heard of before. Maybe the Waltham one is different. We were expecting the exercises to be lame and uncomfortable and they weren't at all. I think it's a useful program for all couples.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from randy07. Show randy07's posts

She probably means the Espousal Center in Waltham, not the Paulist Center

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

That might be it. Either way I honestly thought it was a waste of time. I felt a majority of the exercises were basic and fruitless. I thought listening to other couples was not relevant. Yes, that is my opinion but feel that if the other poster is looking for some guidance I don't think this is the way to go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]
    That might be it. Either way I honestly thought it was a waste of time. I felt a majority of the exercises were basic and fruitless. I thought listening to other couples was not relevant. Yes, that is my opinion but feel that if the other poster is looking for some guidance I don't think this is the way to go.

[/Quote]

Well if you had to listen to other couples, you had a totally different experience than what someone gets at the Paulist Center. There was no couple interaction. You only interacted w/ each other. They did invite a couple in to give some of the instructions along w/ the priest, but they were not there the weekend I went. They invite them so that you can get input from a married couple and not just a priest. But other than them being MIA that weekend, the only interaction w/ other couples that I had was at lunch. Sound like your program was totally different than what I had at the Paulist Center.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

You could look into someone who does premarital counseling. Our officiant does this (he is a licensed therapist) for all the couples who he marries.