Printed vs. hand-addressed invitations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from itny_toy. Show itny_toy's posts

Is it just a total faux pas to use your ink-jet home printer to address your invitations rather than hand-address them?

Yes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summer07. Show summer07's posts

I printed my envelopes (FYI û depending on the size/shape of your envelopes itÆs going to take you much longer than 10 minà). F* etiquette û itÆs all what youÆre comfortable with and what you know your guests care about.-->-->--> -->Just my two cents, when I hear that people are hand-writing the envelopes or if I get one in the mail, I just think of what a waste of time and effort. I donÆt think, ôoh how nice they must really care about me because they spent all night hand-writing the envelopesö. B/c my envelopes were large square with a liner, I had to hand-feed every single envelope (outer and inner envelopes for each invite) into the printer upside down and re-format every address individually to be side-ways (donÆt ask) so that it printed correctly. If I did it any other way the printer would tear the envelope. It took me probably 10 hours (if not more) total. If thatÆs not love and appreciation to show my guests that I care I donÆt know what isà J-->-->

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

One thing to consider about printing the envelopes is that even if someone knows the return address it still can look like one of those mass produced things that you get every once in a while that you might be inclined to just pitch. Some one said that here before and I never forgot that.

Good luck. I'm doing something similar to what you are doing. I have two friends in the wedding party who have great handwriting. I'm asking them for help and then bribing them with treats and wine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from itny_toy. Show itny_toy's posts

Yep - looks like one of those mass-produced things from American Express. You know, the one where they try to make it look like a fancy wedding invitation and then they "invite" you to apply for credit. You can't fool me AMEX! I know that nice wedding invites come hand-written! Into the trash you go!

Anyhow, would I really mistake a laser-printed wedding invite envelope for an AMEX credit card offer? Probably not. But, would I grumble and think to myself "doesn't anyone care any more?" Probably.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetoplan. Show lovetoplan's posts

You wouldn't upset me by printing them. I printed the outside addresses on my invitations using the same font as my invitations and wedding program. (Park Avenue) The Inner Envelopes, I hand addressed. Just don't use labels ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Flut - I have no issues with what you are doing at all! I once hosted a wedding for which there were no written invitations. The guest list was 35 family members.

BUT - your invitations should match the formality of the wedding. An e-vite is terrific for an intimate, somewhat casual event.

For a formal wedding with church, dinner, formally dressed bridal party, a formal invitation is part of the package. (and it should be hand addressed.)

It is not so much a question or personal or lazy, it is a question of formality.

Your invitation should match your wedding.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

What exactly is the appropriate font? Some of these credit card companies or other people who use something that looks like an invitation to get you to open it use script too. It's all well and good to match the script to your invites...but one wouldn't know the inside matched the outside unless you open it. Or if you have x-ray vision.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

A while ago on these boards, I learned that so-called calligraphy is being done "by computer" these days.

So, if it's okay for calligraphers to charge for it, why shouldn't brides just print them themselves?

I still think that hand-written is best, even if the handwriting isn't that great. No matter what, the personal touch is best.

Having them "done" always screams to me "I have money to burn".

Paying to have someone "calligraph" them by computer? That's not calligraphy, it's Kinko's!

So, if you really, really don't want to write them by hand, then go ahead and print the envelopes yourself.

But, really, having an envelope-addressing party with your FI's aunties would be a really nice way to spend two hours of your life, having some laughs, and let them feel like they helped out with your wedding! That's what I would do, anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I will own up to it, I tossed an invite because I thought it was AMEX...and dug it out when a friend called later that evening to ask if I got the invite and we of course had to discuss it etc.

Kerry I love the side swirly thing. I am considering adding a stamp to our envelopes to the corner if I can find a similar stamp to the design that is at the top of our wedding invite.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaygee11. Show kaygee11's posts

Handwritten is the nicer choice... here are some pieces of advice from experience on your assembly team of well-intended ladies!~

1) No food or drink at the table. One false move...

2) Do a few practice ones first, in your own ideal, so that they can see exactly what layout, size, script vs. print, etc. you'd like to see

3) have extra envelopes on hand!!

I've been part of assembly teams before, and i plan on doing it when mine comes around next year, too -- it can be more fun and special and a great memory with friends and family being able to participate in a meaningful way -- especially people who really WANT to help!

Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

Ok we've clearly struck a nerve here. Kerry made a good point that her invite had a swirly deely on it. That would set it apart. Again, it doesn't really matter what font you pick, even if it matches what's on the inside. You can't see the inside from the outside to know it matches.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinshee. Show tinshee's posts

Wow. I couldn't even tell you whether any of the invitations I got to friends' recent weddings had handwritten or printed envelopes (or an inside envelope for that matter...mine didn't).

I found it easy to get caught up in these nitpicky things. I agree that you should do what you want.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

For me, the nice font I found online looked better than handwriting. And at first I had myself, my mother and my MOH start hand writing them. I changed my mind and so glad I did. They looked much better and it was more convenient. And IMO a hand written invitation in "regular" hand writing doesn't look as good. Good luck and either way will be fine!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

See, and I think hand-writing them screams "cheap and lazy" (ie. couldn't be bothered to do them well and make them look nice).

Rich people ARE different!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I have kept every wedding invitation I've ever received - they are all in a little bundle each in their "inner" envelopes. Not one of them was printed by machine.

I think if your in-laws-to-be want to come and help address and stuff, you should take them up on it. These are your wedding invitations - the most important and personal thing you will ever send out. Machine printed (even if it takes all day to get them throught the printer) makes them look like a mass mailing.

I have terrible handwriting so my mother wrote our invitaitons - I stuffed!

Good luck. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bell500. Show bell500's posts

oh good - glad you are NOT rich because as we know from these boards, rich = bad! :)

(sorry, i couldn't resist after this week's posts!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

proletariat

Oh yes, up with Proletariat! I loved that horse!! He was so beautiful to watch!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinshee. Show tinshee's posts

I took a poll of my friends at work and none of them could remember whether my envelopes were hand written or computer printed.

I then asked them if their names were written on the inside envelope and they couldn't remember that either, though one said "Oh, I can't remember but I'm sure they were." We had no inside envelopes.... LOL

I was curious.... ;-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beckjag. Show beckjag's posts

FYI, Diet Coke spraying out of your nose in laughter kinda hurts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beckjag. Show beckjag's posts

Secretariat, greatest racehorse ever, Triple Crown winner. I think he probably could have actually sailed right over your head--he was huge.

Beautiful animal

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I heart Secretariat, but I'll always love Affirmed the best of all!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Flut, you can't be serious - e-vites for a wedding? Having paperplates, plastic utensils and paper napkins for your receptiontoo? That's a lot cheaper as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

its a definite "no-no" to use any kind of printer for addressing invites. hand write all of them...FI should'nt be "employing" others to address invites either. he should be helping you address them..

don't forget to completely write out "street", "avenue" and complete state (no state abbreviations)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Unfortunately many of the younger generation have a horriblehandwriting (including my own children). Probably due to the computers,e-mails and I/Ms. They don't have a chance to practise writing by hand.So, in that respect - a printed envelope does look better.
    However, I would much rather receive a wedding invitation with chickenscratch, than one of those impersonal AMEX or "please elect me" lookingenvelopes. I once was ready to toss a wedding invitation until Inoticed, there was a "Love" stamp on it. To me it is the personaltouch, that counts.
    I am a knitter too and I just love your comparison. So true.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

agree. there are exceptions to every rule. As long as you know the rule, and make the exception for good reason, it is not impolite.

Sections
Shortcuts