These are, quite possibly, the worst boards ever.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

I can't believe how slow these load over a high-speed connection (T1 at work and cable at home.) These take minutes to load and there are few posts per page, compared to every other board out there.

I get an error more often than not when I click submit.

I can't edit or delete my own posts.

The color scheme is blah.

It's been well over a month and I think I've been fairly patient.

This endeavor is entirely full of fail. The old boards were bad, but these are just awful.

If I didn't have a long-standing internet relationship (what, 3 years now?) with the chicas on this board, I would never come here. That means you can forget about any new users getting hooked.

In an age where revenue from print newspapers is shrinking, the internet is where your paycheck will be coming from in the future, if the Globe survives. Shrinking the number of return visitors to the boards seems antithetical to increasing internet revenue.

Look at some of the other high-volume boards out there - Worl of Warcraft's, Fark, SomethingAwful, etc. - and see if you can learn something.

Either that or let us in on why these are so different and so awful compared to basically every other message board.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

Please send this on a Boston.com Feedback form

http://www.boston.com/help/feedback/

Also separately -  every time you get an error message,  there is a place at the bottpm of the feedback form to put the URL  (page address) and above write what the error message was - error on page -  so won't submit.
          Some individual threads have now been stuck for days.   They don't fix them if noone complains, except by accident.

Imagine if those of us in other professions let things slide for 6 weeks.
    Yeah, the hospital administration has heard some complaints about the 212 people who have died in the last 6 weeks.  The old annual rate was 30-32?  Good to know.  Please fill out a form and we will see if we can do something soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just posted this to their feedback site:

You've ruined one of my favorite pasttimes, relating to my bridal buddies on Weddings.  I only have 4 months 'til the wedding, and I'm stressed out enough with work and wedding planning and all the money I'm spending.  Why did you go and ruin the place it was FUN TO BE A BRIDE??

I can post successfully about 1/2 the time.  The other half, it just sits there, not even trying to post.

I make mistakes and want to edit my posts.  Can't.

I make BIG mistakes and post things I wish I hadn't and want to delete them altogether.  Can't.

When you choose a topic so you can add a thread, it would be nice if the default topic was the one you chose, not Dresses.

I do not have time or patience to remember what threads I'm currently expecting personal responses to.  What happened to "Someone posted a response to you" emails?

How is it possible that your message board server takes upwards of 5 minutes to update the latest posting? 

Has BDC ever considered Beta testing big overhauls like this?

What happened to the count of views to a board?

What happened to search?  It's impossible to find anything, and we are repeating WHOLE THREADS when newer users post things we've already covered.  Although, I suppose the newer people won't stick around too long with the boards this hard to manage.

What is up with the spacing of the text editor?  Have you used it?  If you hit the space bar, nothing seems to happen.  It does print the next character a space away from the last one, but it doesn't look like it will so you are constantly hitting space and backspace and overcorrecting.  Same with line return.  Hitting return doesn't seem to add a line until you start typing so you end up adding extra lines.  It's not how a text editor is supposed to work.  We've had them around for 20 years; it didn't occur to me that there would be one put out that doesn't have the basics covered like how to handle the space bar or line return.

What else?  I'm sure I'm missing 100 other annoying "features" of the new boards.  Please put the old ones back and let us enjoy one little part of being a bride.  Did you test run this format?  Did anyone give you feedback before you ruined the whole feature for everyone?

I've never complained so bitterly about any service in my entire life.

Take care,
    kargiver

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnneEnow. Show AnneEnow's posts

The pages load pretty fast if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser along with Adblock Plus (both free).  Although it probably isn't boston.com's intent to have users block the ads just to be able to load the pages quickly.  I agree that search is terrible and losing the ability to edit and delete posts is rotten.  I also miss seeing the number of views and the ability to start in the place you left off and the little flag showing posts you commented on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[Quote]Please send this on a Boston.com Feedback form

http://www.boston.com/help/feedback/

Also separately -  every time you get an error message,  there is a place at the bottpm of the feedback form to put the URL  (page address) and above write what the error message was - error on page -  so won't submit.
          Some individual threads have now been stuck for days.   They don't fix them if noone complains, except by accident.

Imagine if those of us in other professions let things slide for 6 weeks.
    Yeah, the hospital administration has heard some complaints about the 212 people who have died in the last 6 weeks.  The old annual rate was 30-32?  Good to know.  Please fill out a form and we will see if we can do something soon.[/Quote]

it seems alot of people are complaining to BDC and nothing is getting done, a month later.  its almost like "why bother complaining".

i think what p!sses me off is they shut down the boards to change the format without warning, and no input from the "regulars" to begin with.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, they definitely could have beta tested this with the regulars, first.  Then, when it went prime time the kinks would have been worked out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

the lack of posting due to the changes to the board makes it useless and boring now

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Come on, guys. Unless and until the crappy new format impacts their advertisers in a negative way, they aren't going to do anything.  I would say that the thing to do is find a way to let the advertisers know that the new format has reduced use of the boards by at least 75% [seems that way to me].  Money talks.  If the advertisers learn that it's not worth their money to place the ads on here, and then pull their ads, maybe BDC will take complaints seriously.  But until it affects their bottom line,  I think DBC has pretty much shown us by their failure to follow through on anything except putting the posts in chronological order that they aren't going to do squat. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

Dude. I gave you a crown.

Get to work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

and yet if you go to the new "Bomoms" site, which BDC has been promoting everywhere, it has all the bells and whistles that we should have.

(actually, I thought it look a little too "Knot-like", but I guess I'd trade it for a functioning board.)

Who the heck is the CEO of BDC, it's time to find out.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prettyprincess. Show prettyprincess's posts

they needed to find a new demographic to market  the latest "must haves" to. 

I  guess they decided the legions of frappuccino-sipping, diaper-bag toting,  escalade-driving soccer moms were a lucrative enough market so they're trying to lure them away from Oprah long enough to make it profitable. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

[Quote]they needed to find a new demographic to market  the latest "must haves" to. 

I  guess they decided the legions of frappuccino-sipping, diaper-bag toting,  escalade-driving soccer moms were a lucrative enough market so they're trying to lure them away from Oprah long enough to make it profitable. [/Quote]

HEY!  I LOVE FRAPPUCCINOS, VERA BRADLEY DIAPER BAGS, SOCCER, AND ESCALADES...YOU ARE SOOOO JUDGEMENTAL. 

PS.  I'M NOT A DUDE.

PPS.  Just kidding.  I hate that crap too.  I would like all of you to join me in virtually picketing, ala 90210, "Donna Martin Graduates," but for us it would be "Bring back spirited open bar vs cash bars discussions ASAP!!!!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]they needed to find a new demographic to market  the latest "must haves" to. 

I  guess they decided the legions of frappuccino-sipping, diaper-bag toting,  escalade-driving soccer moms were a lucrative enough market so they're trying to lure them away from Oprah long enough to make it profitable. [/Quote]

Aren't they being a little shortsighted too?  Won't many of the brides on here be "Bomoms"[what an awful name!] in the future?  Talk about the grasshopper and the ant!  Morons!

Sections
Shortcuts