To Cruise, or not to cruise

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newbride08. Show newbride08's posts

Hello everyone,
    My FI and I are still deciding where to go on our Honeymoon next May,
    I have this great idea that an European cruise would be awesome. 
    I need some advice good and bad about any experience on cruises, Whats the best way to book them, or which ships to avoid.
    Thanks,

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

We did a cruise for our HM this past May to the Caribbean.  I suggest going to www.cruisecritic.com.  The website has forums for every cruise line, roll calls, and review from cruisers.  I found it extremely helpful for our cruise and new what to expect in our ports of call and the ship itself (dining, activities, what to avoid, etc).

I would check to see which ships will in Europe and where you would like to cruise (Mediterrean, Baltics, etc).

We sailed Princess and I they have cruises in Europe in May.  Princess tends to have an older crowd (not elderly), but it was more refined and relaxing for us.  We were on the Caribbean Princess, which doesn't sail in Europe, but her sister ships the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby (which will have her first sailing this November) do.

I have heard a lot of great things about Celebrity and would have chose them, but they are only in Alaska and Europe in May.  You may want to check them out too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

Sorry my post is a complete mess - I don't like the fact we can't edit (I know, I'm like the 100th person to say that).

I'm a big fan of cruising because I like the fact that you can visit many places without having to drag your luggage everywhere - always go back to the same room!  Plus, all the food is included (and very good).  There is so much to do on the ship when you are not in port or can do nothing at all.  The only downside is sometimes I wish I had more time in the ports.  But that always gives me a reason to go back and visit!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetoplan. Show lovetoplan's posts

Darn, we had a 10 page discussion on this on the old boards.  You'll find that you have 2 groups of people.  Those who love Cruises and those who hate them.  I'm in the love them group.  We did a cruise for our honeymoon and we did another before we had DD.  Both times we splurged and got a room w/ a balcony on the rear of the ship.  There are people who say, "how often are you really in the room" and if you want to be on deck with everyone else, great.  DH and I were more about having private time alone and loved our big room and our big balcony.  We originally were going to take a cruise in Italy, but, changed to the Caribbean.  We decided when we go to Europe we want to do more than the cruise did.  The cruise was fun and relaxing.  I liked that 90% of it was paid up front.  Yes, we did have a $1000+ drink and excursion bill at the end, but, we won playing Bingo and that paid the bill :D 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

I agree - upgrade to a balcony room!  We did and we spent a lot of time out there.  We had breakfast out there every morning and it was great to have your own personal space when we going/coming from port!  Some nights I kept the slider open a tad to just have the fresh air during the night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I've been on the Boston-Bermuda cruise three times, and I thought it was great.  I think, though, you need to have a certain personality in order for cruising to be fun.  You have to be willing to be a little cheesy (kareoke, and theme nights, and bingo, etc), be willing to be "captive" for a couple of days at sea (which some people don't like, but I LOVE...a book on the deck watching the ocean is heaven to me), and know that you may go to a number of places, but won't get to know any of them. 

Different cruise lines do different things as far as meals (set times, or "freestyle), and some are more formal than others, some are more "adult" than others...

I think it's a great vacation, though. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

I love the Boston to Bermuda cruise! That is FI proposed to me... in Bermuda... Anyways! I have only been on that one cruise and I had a great time. There is so much to do and so muchto keep you entertained. I love that about cruising!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from frezz11884. Show frezz11884's posts

Sorry guys I am definately a cruise hater! Well I maybe shouldn't say hater but I too did the Boston to Bermuda. It didn't go so well for me. I am extremely sensitive to motion sickness and of course the cruise was no exception ( yes I did prepare before hand and get the patch prescription from my Dr.) I was sick most of the way there ...... and most of the way home... and couldn't eat in some of the restaurants depending on where on the ship they were located. So I guess hte best advice I could give is if you are sensitive to motion sickness only sail out of warm waters!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

[Quote]I love the Boston to Bermuda cruise! That is FI proposed to me... in Bermuda... Anyways! I have only been on that one cruise and I had a great time. There is so much to do and so muchto keep you entertained. I love that about cruising![/Quote]

funny - the one thing we thought was there was nothing to do.  I'm not into arobics classes so that left sitting, shopping in one shop, drinking and gambling.  And sex.  which was fun.  The ports are great but you get limited time.  The food was FABULOUS!  If you are prepared to relax when you must and watch the clock when you must - then you really will love it.  It is all about knowing what you're getting into - bring a reliable watch and a couple good books.  And forget your diet!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

[Quote]Which cruise line did you go on?  We're booked on Royal Caribbean and going to the eastern part.  Thanks![/Quote]

We were on a Princess ship.
    I hear RCI is very nice and offers a ton on their ships!  Which ports are you going to?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

I love cruises and have been on 2.  A week long in the eastern carribbean on Carnival and the Boston to Bermuda on Norwegian.  Loved both, except in the Carribbean, we went to 4 ports in 6 days and I was exhausted!  Being in 1 port in Bermuda was more relaxing.  Depending on how much you want to rest, may help you determine where you go.  For my HM, we wanted to do nothing so we went to an all inclusive reosrt and never left!  If you're up for lots of activity, take a cruise where there are lots of stops.  Either way, HAVE FUN!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

[Quote]My friend went on Princess and loved it.  We're going to St. Thomas and St. Maarten.  The ship is "tendered" in CocoCay, Bahamas too.  We leave July 12th, I hope we avoid hurricanes!  :-([/Quote]

We loved St. Maarten.  I would suggest getting a tour of the entire island and you must stop at Maho Beach (right at the end the runway of the airport) and Orient Beach.  Not sure if this you and FI's thing, but we rented a Harley Davidson (DH loves to ride) for the day and it was the best way to see the island!

We did stop in St. Thomas and did a snorkeling excursion, which was a lot of fun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

[Quote]Thanks for the tips.  My FI has been to St. Maarten a long time ago.  He said that we had to check out Orient Beach.  Hmmm, wonder why!  :-)  The snorkeling idea sounds fun![/Quote]

We stayed on the "clothing optional" side of the beach and there weren't that many topless ladies.  But it is really a beautiful beach - some of the best sand and such clear water.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Just my personal opinion, but if you've never cruised before, you should think about taking a very long and expensive one for your first try.

I thought I would love taking a cruise but when I finally did, there wasn't anything about it that I thought was great.  I'm very glad it was a short trip.  I would never do it again.

You might want to try a short 4-day in the Carribean to give it a try.

Again, I  know that lots of people love them but it wasn't my thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

[Quote]

Just my personal opinion, but if you've never cruised before, you should think about taking a very long and expensive one for your first try.

I thought I would love taking a cruise but when I finally did, there wasn't anything about it that I thought was great.  I'm very glad it was a short trip.  I would never do it again.

You might want to try a short 4-day in the Carribean to give it a try.

Again, I  know that lots of people love them but it wasn't my thing.

[/Quote]

Thought I love cruises, I agree with Cosmo here.  A short cruise is a good way to test the waters (no pun intended).  From there, you can figure out if you'd want to do it again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

My very first cruise was a 7 day cruise and I had a blast (but I was also drunk for most of the trip since it was girls get away).

I did a shorter 4 day cruise after that and I was bored, but I think because it was a smaller ship.

I think you need to figure out what you want to do - if you like lots of activities, pick a bigger ship. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetoplan. Show lovetoplan's posts

We sailed on Royal Caribbean for both cruises.  The honeymoon was on Enchantment of the Seas and we went to Key West, Cozumel, Ochos Rios and Grand Caymen.  Our second cruise was on the Explorer of the Seas when it was one of the largest group of ships and 2 years old.  We went to Nassau, Labadee (private island), San Juan and St. Thomas. 

A large cruise ship will give you more to do than a small one.  My parents have sailed on a few different lines and said that the larger ships like the Princess that they took to  Alaska were better than the smaller ones like the one they took Boston to Bermuda. 

We were never bored on the ship or off the ship, and we didn't do a gazillion shows or go to the clubs every night.  You're having so much fun being together, just walking around the ship is nice. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

We did a Princess Cruise in the carribean and I have mixed feelings about it.

Pros: Princess was a great choice.  It has an adult crowd (not old, but not teenagers and 21yr olds), the food was really good, our room was very nice and clean (we got a jr. suite with a balcony - worth it!!), star gazing was amazing, liked watching movies in the theater, loved having free room service at any hour, liked being able to sample several locations on one trip - and cost effective.

Cons: pools very crowded during the day, we were bored a lot on the boat (not into the shows or group activities, could only gamble for so long, so spent a lot of time drinking thus spending extra money), hated being on a schedule (would be having a great time in one of the towns or at the beach, and we would have to be shuttled back to the boat - wished we had more time at the beach), due to bad weather we missed on of the stops (of course the one we were looking forward to most), FI hated getting dressed up for dinner, and I got VERY sea sick a few times.

It depends on your personality.  We kinda wished we had just spent a week at the beach.   

If you do have a tendency to get sea sick, get a room in the middle or the back of the boat.  I was at the front of the boat, which is more impacted by rough seas.  I thought I wouldn't be affected since the boat was so big....so wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from newbride08. Show newbride08's posts

Thanks  Ladies for all the great info. You all brought up some great points.  It looks like we have another big decision ahead of us.