Vent: generic/printed thank you notes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from itny_toy. Show itny_toy's posts

Yesterday I received a mass-produced thank you card. It basically said "thanks for attending our wedding and thanks for the gift." So, "the gift" as in "whatever it was that you gave us." When I say mass-produced I am not saying that the bride/groom rewrote the same thank you message over and over again and didn't bother personalizing, what I mean is that this card was printed with a generic message. Not a thing was handwritten, not even their signatures! How nice. Looks to me like they blasted out these notes and sent them to everyone who attended the wedding, my guess. I suppose it's better than not receiving a thank-you at all but it doesn't really answer the question of - did they receive our gift? Do they care that they received our gift? Pretty much the same questions I'd be asking if we never received a note. To me it almost says "I am sending you a thank you card because somebody told me I have to, but I am really not all that grateful for your gift."
    First time I've ever seen a thank-you note done this way. I hope it's not a current trend.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wed2006. Show wed2006's posts

I got one like this last year too....I find it rude, especially after writing out all of my own. Its fine if they get a pre-printed thank you and include a personalized note in it, but to have nothing written by hand is ridiculous, as if they don't really mean thank you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from insideout1234. Show insideout1234's posts

That is kind of tacky. They should have at least signed their names.

I have to say, just have been in a wedding (at my age no less!)-A LOT goes on that day and in defense of the bride and groom--they may not know who gave what on all of them.

My friend was a classic case of that. She got at least a hundred cards. She went through all of them and put them in a safe place. Then came her cats. the got into the box while she was away on her hunnymoon. Everything was a mess/mis matched. Of course, the checks were easy but we were surprised to find that a lot of people gave cash--

Her notes said pretty much the same thing "thank you for sharing our beautiful day with us and thank you so much for your generous gift:"....again, except the easily identifyable ones...

And she wrote them...and signed them....

Hmm..doesn't seem much like a defense now does it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from itny_toy. Show itny_toy's posts

I think what your cousin wrote for cash/check gifts is fine. If it were me I wouldn't put the amount anyway but rather just say "generous gift." It's the fact that they preprinted the things that irritated me. I don't know for sure but I have to guess everyone received this same note regardless of what they gave, cash or otherwise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

That is horrible, no one (that I know of) likes writing thank you notes but you do it because it is the right thing to do. I agree with the previous poster I don't care if it has a pre-printed Thank you or even a pre printed message on the inside as long as it does have some personal touch to it.

The best thank you card I received was personalized but in a way that I didn't expect. It was a general thank you for the "generous gift" because it was money, all was cool with me. But the card also commented on the dress I wore and how she loved the color, it really made it special for me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Not sure if you'll remember my previous post from a few months ago. I was IN a wedding this summer, meaning that I helped plan the shower and chipped in for a great gift, and the thank you note I got looked like this:

Dear my name filled in the blank,

Thank you for the gift filled in the blank!

We love it!

Sincerely,

Bride and groom names

I am talking about literal fill in the blanks!!! I said to my fiance, I really hope this was a joke because we are close friends. I really hope she didn't send these to all of her mother's friends, etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

OMG! I have seen those for kids. I would NEVER use them. That has lazy written all over it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

Afew years back I got one like that from a cousin. She was not raised that way, truly she wasn't.

I remember my stepmother discussing it with my Dad's father and sister, who had also received them

Such a hoot. A week later I was visiting said rude bride and groom, helping them paint their new home. The bride was so aggitated. A letter had come in the mail, the sixth in 3 days- she showed me.

Attached with a paperclip, to the very generic thank you whoever you are for whatever you gave note was an anonymous note: To whom it may concern: your parents are very polite people. What happened to you?

The great irony - the bride was very upset there were no return addresses, no signatures - they could have been sent by anybody! Why would anyone do this? Outrageous, she called it.

Funny, I recognized some of the handwriting. (Crayon, Grampa?)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sigh... this is the same bride who complained so much about how she got so many presents that I considered dropping out of the wedding and never speaking to her again!! In this case, it truly was just to me and her mother that she said such things because she felt that we were the people she could vent to, which I understand, but it was annoying nonetheless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

When we were kids "santa" would give us thank you notes in our sockings. The notes had to be written and mailed by the New Year or my mom said he would come and take the gifts back! We got them done every year. I still do...not always before the New Year but I try! I've started the traditon with my son but I have to write them since he is only 3.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What a smart mom, you had. Bravo!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i'm hoping that's not a brewing trend, as the word "tacky" comes to mind...i'm also hoping they got an etiquette book as a gift, or at least someone pointed out their tacky thank you notes...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I have to agree with you. Those huge servings turn off my appetite.Some places let you share, but not all. Now, when we go out, I usuallyorder a salat or an appetizer - and my husband will order an entre, weboth agree on and then we split everything. Usually that will beenough for the both of us. If we still feel, we have an empty space, wewill order a dessert to share.
    There are times, when we get really nasty looks, when we ask for an extra plate. But we always make sure, we tip well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I have gotten a couple of those as well. I never understood, why TYnotes have become such a chore. First of all it should not be thebride's job only, the groom can write too. Secondly if you had say 200guests- it is mostly couples or even families - that will cut the TYnotes down to about 100. Divide that up btw. the bride and the groom,that will be 50 a each. Now, open a bottle of wine, put some nice musicon and write the notes together. Before you know, they will all bedone.
    That's what my hubby and I did, but of course that was ages ago.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hmmm it was more like a, "I don't know what we're going to do with all this stuff. I don't want it anyway and I got 6 cutting boards blah blah blah." She's a bit spoiled if you hadn't noticed. Don't know what to say - can't live with her, can't live without her!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620. Show ml2620's posts

Does anyone get Daily Candy e-mail? There was one today about weddings, including this:As much as you appreciate the familyÆs support (and gifts), your fingers are skinny from penning thoughtful notes. Employ the creative writing services of Perfectly Noted to dole out heartfelt thanks. http://www.perfectlynoted.com/How pathetic is that - contracting out your thank you notes?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from julper. Show julper's posts

We attended a wedding this summer that was the height of tackiness. From the plastic flowers, to the groomsmen in vests with no jackets, to the horrible DJ who did not only the bouquet and garter toss in the most tacky way possible, with the whole put-the-garter-on-the-gal-who-caught-the-bouquet grossness, BUT ALSO the dollar dance...

Anyway we received a mass email shortly after the wedding that said something like "Thank you for coming, we had a wonderful time, and thank you all so much for your generous gifts." I was thinking, please GOD do not let this be their Thank You note! Fortunately, God heard me, and inspired them to send photo card thank you notes with a personalized message. Whew!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

I got one - I was appalled. A picture post card of the bride and groom (like a Christmas family picture card) with preprinted "Thank you. Barbie and Ken."

I was really surprised. This was the daughter of a good friend. I had picked out a gift from their registry that meant something coming from me and wrapped it nicely.

They actually had a 'stuffing party' which tells me her Mom (my friend) didn't realize how impersonal and (ok I'll say it) ungrateful her daughter would appear.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

erica, you did fine. "promptly" is a circumstances dependent relative term.

Your husband's health comes first, then your thank you notes, then everything else!

:)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

doesn't it take almost as much work to give 'perfectly noted' the information they need to write your notes as it does to actually write them?

the work is in the gathering and organizing of information - addresses, who gave what.....

What a waste!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

"Creativity and technology" don't count if what you get is a preprinted generic card which basically says NOTHING. If a bride simply takes her wedding list and sends out cards after the fact with no personalized message the gift giver really has no idea if their gift has been received or not. The one thing that they can be sure of is that this bride didn't appreciate the time, effort and money the person spent on her.

Photo cards are great as long as they include a personalized note in them (as you did). And there really is no excuse for not writing notes (other than sudden illness). All these brides spent all this time planning and obsessing over details of their weddings and all of a sudden they are too busy to write and thank people for buying them gifts?

If you were able to send out notes in 6 weeks while your DH was recovering from surgery I don't see any excuse for others to avoid sitting down and writing a short note of thanks. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

excellent use of time!

way to make lemonade with lemons!

smart thinking!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, I have gotten those too. Just a printed card - no signatures -mailed by someone else. Talking about insulting? It's a disgrace.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

And we let people make money on our own lazyness? Yes, pathetic indeed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingleterra. Show ingleterra's posts

I think that there are some misguided brides and grooms out there whobelieve that if a wedding-related item is available for sale, it mustbe appropriate. I have to believe that most people who make theserude steps do so out of ignorance, rather than contempt orcarelessness. I know, I probably come from another planet, but I liketo believe that most people aren't intentionally rude about these kindof things--they just don't realize how important they can be to others.