Wedding Pet Peeves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Nothing really that is a PP per se, some things are done that I wouldn't have done (powerpoint presentations at the reception, speeches that are too long and/or not appropriate etc, "theme" weddings... yes, I once attended a medievil themed wedding, complete with the bride in a conical hat). The only thing that does annoy me is when brides (and b/ms) don't realize that strapless dresses aren't flattering on everyone....
    And I will leave it there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Moneypenny424. Show Moneypenny424's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]Nothing really that is a PP per se, some things are done that I wouldn't have done (powerpoint presentations at the reception, speeches that are too long and/or not appropriate etc, "theme" weddings... yes, I once attended a medievil themed wedding, complete with the bride in a conical hat). The only thing that does annoy me is when brides (and b/ms) don't realize that strapless dresses aren't flattering on everyone....
    And I will leave it there.[/Quote]

Powerpoint? Hee hee! Perhaps they can useful for reminding guests how much the bride and groom are paying for their entrees and drinks :). A nice colorful pie chart would help.

So true with the strapless. They can look lovely on a lot of people, but from personal experience, they can also result in me having to hold my dress up all night!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal. Show mezzogal's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Two pet peeves:

1) I've been to bridal showers where I've been asked to address the envelope to my own thank-you note. Granted, it was part of a raffle (someone picked an envelope out of a bowl and the person won a silly prize), but still. If you want to have a raffle, fine----put people's place cards or name tags in. But at these particular showers (both in the same family, mind you), it was expressly done so that "the poor, frazzled bride wouldn't have to spend time doing it." I gagged.

2) Enclosing registry information in a wedding invitation. I don't disagree with registries themselves and actually think they're quite helpful, but enclosing such information in an invitation is rude and presumptuous.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from april09. Show april09's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

My pet peeves:
    Cash bar, only if the couple has a $3000+ photographer, videographer, favors, or is going on an expensive honeymoon etc etc. All of those things are something the bride and groom could have cut back on to provide cocktails for their guests...IF the wedding is very bare bones and simple ,and the couple still cannot afford a cash bar, it doesn't bother me in the least to pay for my own drinks.

Bad/cheesy DJs

Friday night weddings when I have to travel for them, which means using a precious vacation day

disposable cameras on tables (just find this outdated in the day of digital cameras!)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from foolforfood. Show foolforfood's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

When the B&G, or even the BP refuse to get out on the dance floor
    Too many speeches with too many inside jokes
    Not enough food; making me wish there was a McDonald's across the street
    Passed HDs that don't actually get passed to the entire room
    As a BM, having your SO seated at another table
    Donation "favors" (sorry, I have to mention this!!!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

I went to a wedding once where they took photos for ever! We were in an area with hardly any place to sit, white zinfandel to drink and a cheese platter. I finally went looking for the bathroom (at least I could sit down for a minute of two!) and saw the wedding party in a much more comfortable setting eating canapes and drinking champagne. I will say I was seriously offended. You should never offer one thing to your guests and another to the wedding party. I don't appreciate being "B Teamed".
    I think big introductions are silly too. I've only ever been to one wedding that introduced the wedding party- it was a co-workers wedding and my boss leaned over and said, "what the heck are they doing?" "Introducing the wedding party." I said - "Well, I know the bride and groom and couldn't care less about the other people. - Looks like a curtain call at a Broadway show." was his opinion.
    Don't much like the recent trend of all the"special dances." Used to be the bride and groom opened the dancing, half way through her father cut in and the groom danced with his mother. Seems we now have to have special music and all sit and watch while these dances go on separately now.
    Agree with others about games, pushy DJ's and too many "look at us" photos, power points, etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Cash bar

No nearby hotels or transportation (i.e. Georgetown Country Club)

Cocktail hours with no place to sit

DJs who are corny, tasteless, or in love with their own voices.

No slow songs

The worst: crying children in the church and kids running around the reception, sliding on the dance floor, bumping into waitstaff, spilling my brand new expensive drink that I paid for.

The second worst: cake smooshing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

My biggest wedding pet peeve is CLEAVAGE! I can't stand when wedding guests wear inappropriate clothing to a wedding. Stylish is great, but keep in mind that the bride and grooms grandparents are going to be there for goodness sake!

As far as the cash bar debate goes, don't get so offended ladies. I couldn't care less if I have to pay for a few drinks at a wedding, but a lot of people do. It doesn't make them snotty and it doesn't make you and I trashy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ramon5. Show ramon5's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Wedding invitation addressed to me, using my husband's last name and guest. So weird - they obviously know I am married and yet addressed the invitation to MyFirstName, HisLastName & guest. Pick up the phone and ask if you aren't sure about a name....

Relatives who wear inappropriate clothing. Like the Mother at one wedding who wore a strapless gown. Seems a little too "me me me" at your child's wedding

Sitting at a head table and your date is fifteen tables away and you are on display in front of everyone...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from helpplz. Show helpplz's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Ralphie, my girsl are wearing black strapless dresses and my wedding is on a friday and I'm not having an open bar, as we can't afford it!! I guess my wedding will be high on everyones list of pet peeves. Oh, well

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghotieyes. Show ghotieyes's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Misslily, if you think introducing the wedding party is bad, how about introducing the aunts, uncles, grandmothers, and cousins of the bride AND the groom... in 3 languages!

I also can't stand attention-hogging DJ/MC's and the bouquet/garter tosses. I'm all for embarassing the B&G, but don't force the guests to participate in all the games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakehousegirl. Show Lakehousegirl's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]My biggest wedding pet peeve is CLEAVAGE! I can't stand when wedding guests wear inappropriate clothing to a wedding. Stylish is great, but keep in mind that the bride and grooms grandparents are going to be there for goodness sake!

As far as the cash bar debate goes, don't get so offended ladies. I couldn't care less if I have to pay for a few drinks at a wedding, but a lot of people do. It doesn't make them snotty and it doesn't make you and I trashy.[/Quote]

HAAAAAAAAAAA! The cleavage comment just made me think of another one! Brides who try to be sexy! I had a friend tell me she wants to be as statuesque and sexy as possible on her wedding day. A little vomit came up in a mouth after that comment. I really think that if you're going to go with the ruse that you are pure and virginal in your white wedding gown, then you really need to appear demure and have all your naughty bits covered appropriately.
    Nice point Framerican.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

See above re: slideshows/forced participation in cheesy dance or tosses. Do what you will, but if I'm hding by the bar, don't call me out.

Black tie weddings with bridesmaids in knee-length dresses. If I know what "Black Tie" is meant to convey, so should you, Bride.

Gum chewing by bridal party. In church. True Story.

Best Man Speeches in which the end of freedom as groom knows it is referenced countless times. Old. Tired.

Guests who blow off ceremony and/or show up in jeans then change for the reception. Ick.

I prefer an hosted bar of some sort, that's a no brainer. But while I might list cash bars as a pet peeve, I am horrified by the snarky comments guests make re: bar offerings. In the rock/paper/scissors of tacky, you just won, buddy.
    I had someone walk up to me ON OUR WEDDING DAY and ask,"what's the situation with the bar?" i.e., is it open? Horrifying -- there's a bartender right over there who can help you out with that, my dear. (for the record, yes: beer, wine, champagne and a passed cocktail)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

1. Watching guests guzzle drink after drink just because its an open bar - when you know the person/persons behind the tab don't have a lot of money.

2. Guests who don't dance, eat their dinner or attempt to socialize - and just sit back and b*tch about what they would neeeever do at their wedding.

3. Part II of the Toss ... when the guy who caught the garter has to put it on the girl who caught the bouquet. Creeeapy McCreaperson!

4. Dollar Dance when its also a cash bar.
    (I'm okay with a dollar dance when its an open bar)

5. When corners have obviously been severely cut - but the bride is bragging about her $7,000 dress and the happy couple shows up in a Bentley.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]
    Relatives who wear inappropriate clothing. Like the Mother at one wedding who wore a strapless gown. Seems a little too "me me me" at your child's wedding

[/Quote]

Your post reminds me... I saw pictures from an acquaintance's wedding once. Her mother was wearing a WHITE dress, with all different colors of flowers embroidered on it... off the shoulder and with a train! I thought it was a bit much, especially the white and the train, but I guess it's all good if the bride didn't mind... I guess.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Cash bar.
    Games.
    Pushy DJs.
    Totally Plastered Guests.
    Cold Food.
    Handicapped Inaccessible.
    Entitled Brides.

Spare me the cry of poverty on the cash bar. I spent $3500 total on my wedding for 60, and it included open bar for 4 hours.

Stop trying to make the working class look classless. Some of us have a clue.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aliphin. Show aliphin's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

I have a question - since some of you seem to hate weddings so much, then why bother going? If you have a million pet peeves, then why bother spending money and time to go?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crisanop. Show crisanop's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

The GARTER BELT tradition

I agree with hating Tosses and Garter up the leg tradition... only because they call up all "non-married" people. So if your BF or GF is there, do you want them putting the garter belt on a stranger, or having it put on them? that's just wrong. Single should mean "attending alone" not "unmarried", with optional participation. Didn't you ever see the creepy cousin excited to put the garter up the dress of someone else's attractive date? Uncomfortable for everyone.

Thank you notes?? Who cares? While it's nice to be appreciated for your gift, why make it about "you'. If you gave a gift with the expectation of getting a "thank you", its not really a gift, it's a barter (you expect something in return)? I do send thank you notes as it is a show of class and appreciation, but if I didn't receive one, I wouldn't be offended.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]I have a question - since some of you seem to hate weddings so much, then why bother going? If you have a million pet peeves, then why bother spending money and time to go?[/Quote]

How very constructive. Your contribution has added so very much to the conversation.

Though I consider your comment intrusive and unhelpful, I am compelled to respond.

I enjoy weddings quite a bit. I am very sentimental and love a good party. I also enjoy dining out. However, I do have issues with poor table service, cold rolls, no bread plates, entres that arrive before drinks and appetizers are finished and being asked if I need change. I mention this to illustrate how one can enjoy an experience and still have less than enthusiastic opinions on the details.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonallenross. Show jasonallenross's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

I'll concur with alibhin. When my wife and I were in our "wedding phase" for a couple of years, we attended a lot of weddings and had one of our own. Now that we've moved onto the "baby boom" stage, I reflect with quaint fascination and amusement upon how trivial and silly arguing over stuff like this is.

Drink in the silly traditions, laugh heartily at the corny jokes, politely pay for your drinks if you need to. Spend that hour between pictures getting to know someone new, or get re-aquianted with someone you haven't seen in a while. Go out and dance the electric slide and put your all into the chicken dance. Sooner rather than later, your world will be dominated by supporting a family, changing wet diapers and dealing with toddlers, don't waste your time being so persnickety.

I actually can't wait for the next wedding we can attend. Likely someone else will watch my kids (or they'll spend time with their cousins ripping up the dance floor), I'll get to catch up with old friends, I'll have a few laughs, a few drinks and get to dance with my wife.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabriellemarie. Show gabriellemarie's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]
    ralph-All I am saying is that some of the posts sound like you all are snobby.
    what makes a wedding fun is all the unique styles of ways things are done.
    I am shocked and thank god I don't know some of you people. I think some of you all forget that wedding are VERY expensive and be honored you are invited. WHO CARES if you have to buy a drink at a bar. CHEAP you all are. You all should be ashamed for thinking thats a pet P />
    [/Quote]

so you would be perfectly fine paying for $11 drinks at a wedding?? Drinks are so expensive now (unless you are getting married WAY out of the city), so how could you ask a guest to pay for them on top of everything else? As much as I would LOVE to save the money, I just couldn't do that to my guests.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Oh I have a whole list of thing that tick me off about weddings. I hate them man, straight up hate them.

For guests:

-I have noticed that this is a regional thing- I have been to weddings all over and it seems that wedding guests in places like Boston, NY, DC and LA tend to be the most spoiled and entitled people ever. There seems to be a lot of that going on on this board- I might add. You know- if you go out West or to the Midewest or down South- cash bar is NORMAL. Only around here or NYC or wherever do people seem to actively expect free booze from the people throwing the wedding. We did cocktail hour and free wine and beer for about half the night. It was all we could afford and frankly- I didn't want people ordering over-priced Boston martinis that they would take a sip of and toss because "they never had one before" or worse- take shot after shot and then make fools of themselves. If that makes me our my in-laws a bad host- I'm happy you weren't at my wedding.

-Again, guest who just expect WAY too much. Newlyweds are LUCKY if they get $100-$150 from a couple on average. Most of the time- especially in places like NY, Boston, DC, LA that doesn't even cover one person for the night at a decent venue. Then I have to pay to ship you around the city on a shuttle on top of it? Please... I have been to weddings in just as traditional cities or ones a little less well off- ones in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Seattle, San Antonio, Nashville- where this type of entitlement by GUESTS is considered rude and over the top. The wedding is the day for the bride and groom- end of story. So if they want a nice cake or a nice limo at the "expense" of a guest- you should understand and be happy for them. For some people- they only do it once, and not multiple times due to the conveinence of divorce- so they want to do it right and as they want it!

-Champagne toasts- we skipped ours, everyone always takes a sip and then sets it down never to drink again. Even the crappy champagne is hiked up in price- so its a total waste of money and I always feels bad for the hosts...

-Annoying DJs who steal the show are quite bothersome...

-Price! Weddings are clearly a multimillion dollar industry meant to suck every dollar possible from the bride, groom and their families. You either save money and the food is mediocre to horrible or go way over the top and pay out the nose for decent to good quality food. Flowers, photos, hair, makeup, you name it- all that is jacked up in price because they know they can charge that much. $70 to rent 1 candleabra for the evening? $50 for a LITTLE centerpiece?!?! Well you have to make it look decent right? Otherwise your guests will be offended. Our wedding was in October- carved pumpkins for each table 2 nights before the wedding. Saved us a bundle and people seemed to like the jack-o'lanterns more than any overpriced floral arrangement.

-Brides who need everything to be perfect. I have been in wedding parties where on the "happiest day of her life" the bride was running around like a monster demanding everything be perfect. Thank the Good Lord my wife didn't do that... Brides also are the first to buy into the game wedding people try and play and before you know it, the budget is out the window.

-Wedding favors, I've been to weddings where everyone walks away with a little bag of candies or potpori or whatever, it rearely if ever gets used or eaten and costs the hosts a pretty penny to give all the guest- but it is offensive if you don't. Then people also get upset when you make a donation instead. I went to a wedding where both the bride's and groom's grandparents suffered from Alzheimers, one of which had recently passed away. They made a significant donation (and the expense of favors, some flowers, and the steak option) to Alzheimers research- with pictures of the grandparents and them on a table. If that is in poor taste- I have lost all faith in my fellow Americans...

That about covers it. Thank goodness I never have to/CAN get married again, I love being Catholic!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from foolforfood. Show foolforfood's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Get over it, people. You can have gripes about everything in life, good and bad. It doesn't make you an ingrate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]I'll concur with alibhin. When my wife and I were in our "wedding phase" for a couple of years, we attended a lot of weddings and had one of our own. Now that we've moved onto the "baby boom" stage, I reflect with quaint fascination and amusement upon how trivial and silly arguing over stuff like this is.

Drink in the silly traditions, laugh heartily at the corny jokes, politely pay for your drinks if you need to. Spend that hour between pictures getting to know someone new, or get re-aquianted with someone you haven't seen in a while. Go out and dance the electric slide and put your all into the chicken dance. Sooner rather than later, your world will be dominated by supporting a family, changing wet diapers and dealing with toddlers, don't waste your time being so persnickety.

I actually can't wait for the next wedding we can attend. Likely someone else will watch my kids (or they'll spend time with their cousins ripping up the dance floor), I'll get to catch up with old friends, I'll have a few laughs, a few drinks and get to dance with my wife.[/Quote]
    AMEN! This is how my wedding was, people catching up, kids on the dance floor after dinner was served so no tripping the wait staff. The biggest surprise was seeing some of my older relatives really getting into the stuff that I didn't think I wanted, like my grandmother doing the chicken dance with her great granddaughter. As I took a few stolen moments to look at the room seeing the laughing faces of my friends and family was the best thing in the world.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]Ralphie, my girsl are wearing black strapless dresses and my wedding is on a friday and I'm not having an open bar, as we can't afford it!! I guess my wedding will be high on everyones list of pet peeves. Oh, well[/Quote]

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have posted this. Strapless on anyone but the bride is tacky.