Wedding Pet Peeves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Keep not posting things that you deem as controversial B.com...you guys are so lame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncool926. Show uncool926's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

As a former best man for a cousin, brother, best friend and even my sister (long story), family videographer and photographer, and long-suffering invitee, I can say my problem with weddings starts at the renting of the tuxedos and doesn't end until the band/DJ has packed upand gone home.

One groom-to-be was offered a free tux if there were four or more tuxes rented, so he had a best man (me) and three ushers even though he didn't need that many just to get the free tux! WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF US PAYING OVER $100 EACH FOR OUR MONKEY SUITS???

The ridiculous customs at weddings make me squirm...the clinking of glasses...

...one best man's toast went on for FIFTEEN MINUTES!!!

...the "when you getting married?" questions from distant relatives. (When Hell freezes over, Aunt Pepina! Have another sambuca and get over it!)

And when was the last time you left a wedding reception and said..."gee, that music was awesome!"

And half of them are divorced now...

I have three nieces all lined up and ready to take that walk down the aisle, and all I can say to them is...

...FOR GOD'S SAKE, ELOPE!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grace106. Show Grace106's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Weddings where the Bride and Groom do not remenber that they are the
    hosts of their reception. Which means providing all refreshments; NO
    CASH BARS. Making sure that all of your guests are comfortable and
    provided for.Making introductions greeting all, checking to make sure
    that any special meals, such as vegetarian, have been provided.Also if
    guests do start doing " Dirty Dancing" or some other inappropreate type of dance, have the best man ask the DJ to change the music, then the Bridal couple and some others go on to the dance floor.

All right other pet peeves:

Cake smashing, making guests wait for hours while photos are taken, and the Bride getting upset that "her special day is ruined" if the Bride and Groom are expected to do any of the above.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have posted this. Strapless on anyone but the bride is tacky.[/Quote]

I'm sorry but I 100% disagree. I don't even like strapless dresses, but to say that they are "tacky" is ridiculous. What exactly makes them tacky? And why would it be tacky for BMs but not brides? I'm not into the whole church thing, but you're supposed to have your shoulders covered in church, so wouldn't it be especially inappropriate for a bride to go strapless, if in fact strapless dresses are tacky?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

As much as some of the wedding traditions can be annoying, my personal pet peeve being the Chicken dance, however it gets people up and dancing and is especially fun if there are kids in attendance so for three minutes, deal with it.

What I'd like to see eliminated is the glass clinking during the entire receptions. Most B&G's have been living together pre wedding and the constant request for them to smooch is kind of lame. Leave them alone and let them eat, dance, mingle, etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

As a wedding photographer, I understand your peeve. The last two weddings I shot, however, the Bride and Groom took the waiting into account and actually did formal pix before the ceremony so the guests never had that awkward hour of waiting around.[/Quote]

Some pictures are fine, but the couple that drives all over town to take all those scenic shots when they are simply late to their own party is the issue. Or the one that does the family with kids, grandparents, each branch separately, etc.....

Another idea, we entered the reception, had the toast and first dance and THEN went to take pictures. That way, we got the party started so we weren't missed so badly. And pictures only took 30 - 40 minutes. I didn't want to miss my own party!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Friday, Sunday and holiday weekend weddings!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from erinkat. Show erinkat's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]I'll concur with alibhin. When my wife and I were in our "wedding phase" for a couple of years, we attended a lot of weddings and had one of our own. Now that we've moved onto the "baby boom" stage, I reflect with quaint fascination and amusement upon how trivial and silly arguing over stuff like this is.

Drink in the silly traditions, laugh heartily at the corny jokes, politely pay for your drinks if you need to. Spend that hour between pictures getting to know someone new, or get re-aquianted with someone you haven't seen in a while. Go out and dance the electric slide and put your all into the chicken dance. Sooner rather than later, your world will be dominated by supporting a family, changing wet diapers and dealing with toddlers, don't waste your time being so persnickety.

I actually can't wait for the next wedding we can attend. Likely someone else will watch my kids (or they'll spend time with their cousins ripping up the dance floor), I'll get to catch up with old friends, I'll have a few laughs, a few drinks and get to dance with my wife.[/Quote]

I'll second the AMEN to this one!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from erinkat. Show erinkat's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have posted this. Strapless on anyone but the bride is tacky.[/Quote]

Something went awry with my post, but I see someone else made the point before me anyway. Calling strapless dressed tacky is absurd. And this is also coming from someone who doesn't like them much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

I disagree. I think strapless can look very nice, as long as you have the shape for it. My sister is wearing a strapless JCrew dress for my wedding, my other bridesmaids opted for a v-neck dress. It's all good.

I have another pet peeve. It's been two months since my FSIL's shower and she hasn't sent me a thank you note yet. Her wedding is coming up, so I doubt I'll even get one. I've never really cared for her to begin with and this just makes me like her less. I got her a really nice, thoughtful gift!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from manderina. Show manderina's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Two words...cash bar.
    Look at any ettiquette articles on the net - this is number one! You would never invite someone into your home and then ask them for cash. If money is a concern, get married in a private home where you can supply the alcohol, not in a venue where the mark-up is 400%. You don't need enormous floral arrangements or those fancy shoes. There are places to skimp so you can afford to be a good host. Your guests had to get you a shower gift, a weddng gift, and then stay in town for your wedding. Host them properly instead of assuming that the night is about you getting rich. Getting married is not about making quick money, it's about throwing a party to celebrate your union.

It doesn't matter how beautiful you look or how great the food is - if people have dropped hundreds to be at your wedding, they will ONLY remember your wedding because you forced them to buy their own liquor. If you let them have a great night where they can leave their wallets at home, they will remember everything wonderful about the night. It's your decision, but just know there are reprocussions for being a cheap host.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]You know- if you go out West or to the Midewest or down South- cash bar is NORMAL. Only around here or NYC or wherever do people seem to actively expect free booze from the people throwing the wedding. [/Quote]

I'm from the Midwest. I have never seen a cash bar at a wedding. I hadn't heard of a cash bar until I moved to New England. So how is it normal in the Midwest?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]Strapless on anyone but the bride is tacky.[/Quote]

Why?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Oh, and I just thought of something else - "novelty" photos. I told our photographer (DH's uncle) that is he even dared to ask all the bridal party to all jump in unison, have us peering from behind a tree or ask the groomsmen to stand in a line as I lay across their arms, I would have decked him!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007BrideToBe. Show 2007BrideToBe's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]
    Two words...cash bar.
    Look at any ettiquette articles on the net - this is number one! You would never invite someone into your home and then ask them for cash. If money is a concern, get married in a private home where you can supply the alcohol, not in a venue where the mark-up is 400%. You don't need enormous floral arrangements or those fancy shoes. There are places to skimp so you can afford to be a good host. Your guests had to get you a shower gift, a weddng gift, and then stay in town for your wedding. Host them properly instead of assuming that the night is about you getting rich. Getting married is not about making quick money, it's about throwing a party to celebrate your union.

It doesn't matter how beautiful you look or how great the food is - if people have dropped hundreds to be at your wedding, they will ONLY remember your wedding because you forced them to buy their own liquor. If you let them have a great night where they can leave their wallets at home, they will remember everything wonderful about the night. It's your decision, but just know there are reprocussions for being a cheap host.
    Well, I'm glad that I'm not a member of your circle of friends. There are MANY people who go to weddings expecting a cash bar and consider it the norm and not a breach of etiquette.

Not everyone considers a cash bar classless!

[/Quote]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

I'm from the Midwest. I have never seen a cash bar at a wedding. I hadn't heard of a cash bar until I moved to New England. So how is it normal in the Midwest?[/Quote]

I'll be honest- I have some limited experience- but I have been to weddings in Pittsburgh, just outside Chicago, Indiana and one in Wisconsin (when I was a kid) and each time it was either a cahs bar or semi cash bar throughout the night. Further- people told me it was the norm, but I'm not 100%- just going off personal experience and then what locals told me.

As for being a good host- I would not be afraid for a moment to put some onus on venues for their extreme mark ups on food and drink. I can say confidently I am a staunch supporter of free market values- but if people (guests included) don't recognize and understand the price gouging that goes on by these venues- then part of the blame is on them. I remember looking for NICE venues that let you supply your own liquor- guess what: doesn't ever really happen if you are looking for a place indoors that can accomodate 175+.

But then again- just through my eyes and experience.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2007BrideToBe. Show 2007BrideToBe's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]I'll concur with alibhin. When my wife and I were in our "wedding phase" for a couple of years, we attended a lot of weddings and had one of our own. Now that we've moved onto the "baby boom" stage, I reflect with quaint fascination and amusement upon how trivial and silly arguing over stuff like this is.

Drink in the silly traditions, laugh heartily at the corny jokes, politely pay for your drinks if you need to. Spend that hour between pictures getting to know someone new, or get re-aquianted with someone you haven't seen in a while. Go out and dance the electric slide and put your all into the chicken dance. Sooner rather than later, your world will be dominated by supporting a family, changing wet diapers and dealing with toddlers, don't waste your time being so persnickety.

I actually can't wait for the next wedding we can attend. Likely someone else will watch my kids (or they'll spend time with their cousins ripping up the dance floor), I'll get to catch up with old friends, I'll have a few laughs, a few drinks and get to dance with my wife.[/Quote]

I wholeheartedly agree!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

* a several hour gap between the ceremony and reception. Where am I supposed to go for a few hours all dressed up in formal wear?

* head tables

*seating dates of bridal party separate from each other

*brides who are me me me

*the bride and groom dance is fine, but do we also need to sit through the mother / son dance, father / daughter dance and all the other ones people add nowadays?

* cold or undercooked food. that isnt really the couple's fault and I feel badly for them when this happened

*seeing half empty drinks sitting around on tables with no owner in site during open bars

* brides making her girls wear ugly and or expensive dresses

* having the reception at a venue with no hotel closer than 20 minutes away, and not providing a shuttle

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

strapless does not look good on everyone, but it is no means tacky on anyone but the bride

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonlifer. Show bostonlifer's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

my personal pet peeve is people who never hang out with me and don't respond to my emails, yet make sure to invite me to their wedding. seems to me they just want to show off their happiness and get a present- they're not really my friends.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poomis. Show poomis's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

My peeve is that all weddings are the same. Most people are so caught up in tradition that all they change is one thing here or there -- outdoor instead of indoor, beef instead of chicken, dj instead of band ... where's the originality? I leave most weddings thinking there is nothing of major interest that can distinguish it from the last wedding I attended. Then I think of all the money that went into the banality -- some creativity that closely reflects the bride & groom's individuality would be a lot more effective than matching the table centerpieces to the bridesmaids' dresses. Gag.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nannijr. Show nannijr's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

My Wedding Pet Peeves ? The whole wedding in general are my pet peeve. but to narrow it down. B&G who invite peple to there weddings just for the money that they will get. IE you have not seen or spoke to this person in over 5 years but suddenly an invite comes in and they are your bff.

In my family it is also the sitting at the loser table because you are still single. They sit you with all the single people because they think you are upset that they are not married and we can be mierable together. or so they think, Most of my single family memebers are so happy we are not married that we sit and make fun of everyone one that is by telling them of all our fun times and traveling we have or do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonallenross. Show jasonallenross's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

JasonAllenRoss, your comment makes me want to invite you (and your wife and kids) to my wedding! The other comments were actually starting to make me worry about my upcoming wedding and reception... I need to stop reading these things! Thanks for bringing this back to earth :)

[/Quote]

Thanks for the invite :). We actually got invited to the wedding of one of my wife's cousins recently, but had to skip because of a "no kids at the wedding" rule. We would have loved to go, but anyone we could have left the kids with was also invited to the wedding.

So (gasp) we sent our congratulations and a gift, and our regrets that we could not attend. I guess we could have said "boy, they sure are rude for not inviting our kids", but it is after all, their wedding, and that's what they wanted. But we'll see them in at Christmas, most likely.

I also find it funny that all over these boards, you'll see a lot of "do it your way, it's your day" comments and encouragement, yet somehow the reality of indulging someone's wishes and dreams for a few hours while the celebrate their wedding that they have been thinking about forever with friends and family is the cause for angst? Be thankful, or decline the invitation politely.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEM81. Show GEM81's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]Friday, Sunday and holiday weekend weddings![/Quote]

Yikes, I think maybe people need to stop picking on brides and focus on the new wedding monsters: Guestzillas.

Sections
Shortcuts