Wedding Pet Peeves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

I'm sorry but I 100% disagree. I don't even like strapless dresses, but to say that they are "tacky" is ridiculous. What exactly makes them tacky? And why would it be tacky for BMs but not brides? I'm not into the whole church thing, but you're supposed to have your shoulders covered in church, so wouldn't it be especially inappropriate for a bride to go strapless, if in fact strapless dresses are tacky?[/Quote]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Are you guys seriously disagreeing with me because I don't like strapless dresses on the bridesmaids? That's the title of the post, duh. I didn't get on anyone else's pet peeves because it's their opinion.

Seriously, is this the KNOT or what?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Oh and to answer the question show me one wedding where you've seen bridesmaids in strapless dresses that were all looking amazing in the dress. Yup, there's always at least one girl with gross back tats, or huge boobs (and I have huge boobs) or thinks it's time to be sexy at their friend's wedding. It's tacky and I don't even really like strapless dresses on brides, but I rocked one and kept my shoulders covered because I'm a ninja. If you are ninja or will have your bridesmaids wrapped so I don't have to stare at their nipples or "MOM" tattoos, then great. But again, it's my opinion and tacky is extremely subjective.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from erinkat. Show erinkat's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]Are you guys seriously disagreeing with me because I don't like strapless dresses on the bridesmaids? That's the title of the post, duh. I didn't get on anyone else's pet peeves because it's their opinion.

Seriously, is this the KNOT or what?[/Quote]

No, people are disagreeing with your use of the word tacky not questioning if it should be a pet peeve. Pretty simple. Duh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

anyone try posting, and then get the message "saved successfully"? and your post doesnt appear anywhere?

these boards are worse now than when they first came out!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

It depends on the formality of your wedding. I think tickets carry the look and feel of a carnival or fund raising raffle, not the look of a formal reception. I wouldn't. [/Quote]

See, that's how I feel. I'm just not entirely sure how to phrase this feeling in a way that won't offend the person I would like to have waiting to meet me at the altar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

No, people are disagreeing with your use of the word tacky not questioning if it should be a pet peeve. Pretty simple. Duh.[/Quote]

Um a pet peeve can be anything. DUH.

Tacky bridesmaids dresses is mine. Deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

One of my pet peeves is people who argue over whether something should be a pet peeve....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

See, that's how I feel. I'm just not entirely sure how to phrase this feeling in a way that won't offend the person I would like to have waiting to meet me at the altar.[/Quote]

Oh my. This is a big lesson in marriage. It is one of a wife's biggest jobs to 'civilize' her husband. Because, though his Mother did her best, and he knows enough that he can be taken out in public, it is the details that are left to the wife. I kid....but not by much....

One of my favorite lines in a sit com was from Roseann. Sister Jackies says, "You see I just want a great guy like Dan! But where are they?" And Roseann says, in a way only she can, "DO YOU THINK HE CAME THAT WAY??? IT HAS TAKEN ME 20 YEARS TO GET HIM TO THIS POINT!!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]
    Question: Going back to the cash bar conversation, someone suggested to me a ticket system - i.e., all guests get tickets good for, say, two drinks, then have to pay cash for the rest. Theoretically, non-drinkers can share their tickets with others. How do people feel about that?[/Quote]
    I think I hate the idea of tickets more than I hate the idea of a cash bar. Who wants their guests bartering for extra drinks? "Can I have your drink ticket? You can have my cake." YUCK.
    If you must do this then hand over a set amount for the bar in advance. Then the bartenders hit the total, your bar can revert to a cash bar - but don't hand out little tickets - it's silly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

I'd say no to drink tickets -

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]Oh and to answer the question show me one wedding where you've seen bridesmaids in strapless dresses that were all looking amazing in the dress. Yup, there's always at least one girl with gross back tats, or huge boobs (and I have huge boobs) or thinks it's time to be sexy at their friend's wedding. It's tacky and I don't even really like strapless dresses on brides, but I rocked one and kept my shoulders covered because I'm a ninja. If you are ninja or will have your bridesmaids wrapped so I don't have to stare at their nipples or "MOM" tattoos, then great. But again, it's my opinion and tacky is extremely subjective.[/Quote]

You forgot to mention those of us . . "less endowed." Strappless is not a good look for us either!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_411765. Show user_411765's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]I'll concur with alibhin. When my wife and I were in our "wedding phase" for a couple of years, we attended a lot of weddings and had one of our own. Now that we've moved onto the "baby boom" stage, I reflect with quaint fascination and amusement upon how trivial and silly arguing over stuff like this is.

Drink in the silly traditions, laugh heartily at the corny jokes, politely pay for your drinks if you need to. Spend that hour between pictures getting to know someone new, or get re-aquianted with someone you haven't seen in a while. Go out and dance the electric slide and put your all into the chicken dance. Sooner rather than later, your world will be dominated by supporting a family, changing wet diapers and dealing with toddlers, don't waste your time being so persnickety.

I actually can't wait for the next wedding we can attend. Likely someone else will watch my kids (or they'll spend time with their cousins ripping up the dance floor), I'll get to catch up with old friends, I'll have a few laughs, a few drinks and get to dance with my wife.[/Quote]

Very well said jasonallenross.... when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I look back on my wedding day as perfect and it seems as though I had a wedding that is considered "tacky" by many of the people on this board. I love going to weddings and celebrating with my friends and their families and I would never put down someone else's day - especially knowing how much planning goes into EVERY wedding - simply because it's not MY style.
    BTW - I've been to several weddings that are held at gorgeous locations but due to town laws, they are not allowed to have open bars. Always be sure to bring cash with you just in case.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_411765. Show user_411765's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

So let me get this straight.....if my best friend of 27 years asks me to be her maid-of-honor, I'm suppsoed to say no because I'm not Keira Knightly thin? Am I understanding this right? I'm supposed to tell her "Sorry, I can't be in your wedding because my legs touch and that's just not fair to your guests to have to look at me." I DON'T THINK SO! When my best friend asked me to be in her wedding, it was because we have been the best of friends through the good times and the bad times and she wants me to stand by her side as she starts her new life with her wonderful husband - NOT because of the way I look in a bridesmaid dress. Could you be more selfish?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

At the risk of being branded a callous and heartless b*tch... I can kind of see where Bigone is coming from. If you are on the larger side, fine (understand some people have health issues and therefore no control over their weight.... if it is not health related and a result of poor diet + lack of excercise, well, that is just unhealthy... but I digress). Anyway, if you are larger, okay, we get it, but try to dress appropriately. Honestly, on someone with chunk-a-chunk arms and back fat, a strapless corset top or a sheath style dress is never going to look good.

[/Quote]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from erinkat. Show erinkat's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

Um a pet peeve can be anything. DUH.

Tacky bridesmaids dresses is mine. Deal.[/Quote]

Again, you called strapless bridesmaids dresses tacky. I never said a pet peeve couldn't be anything. Your use if the word tacky is the issue. DUH.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]
    You forgot to mention those of us . . "less endowed." Strappless is not a good look for us either![/Quote]

Worse, if I feel like I don't have enough to hold my dress up, I'm going to be fidgeting during the ceremony. I would think the bride would rather have the guests look at her than the bridesmaid who appears to be touching herself.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on tickets - I had a sudden vision of my drunken great-uncle twice removed (or some other relative who I don't know but simply must be invited) digging through the trash to locate leftover or discarded tickets. Funny to imagine, awful if it actually happened.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]If you don't like the games to claim the centerpiece, what do you suggest guests do in order to take them home? Most guests expect to play something to win the centerpiece--how do you decide who gets them?[/Quote]

In my experience, the centerpiece goes to the only person who wants it. If there happen to be two, there are usually centerpieces sitting on ten empty tables nearby.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

Non-religious bridal couples who insist on church weddings. I say this as a non-religious bride whose mother tried to badger me into a church wedding. Church is not a stage.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]
    Non-religious bridal couples who insist on church weddings. I say this as a non-religious bride whose mother tried to badger me into a church wedding.
    [/Quote]

That bothers me too! If you haven't been to church since high school (when your parents made you go) then you have no business getting married in a church.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

you know what else peeves me? if a couple decides NOT to have a church wedding, which of course is the choice of the couple and should be respected...are the snarky-a$$ed comments made by the relatives of the couple who chose not to have the church ceremony.

one of my brothers and sister in law chose not to have a church ceremony, and the relatives are still snarking about it 15 years later! its beyond time to let it go!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]
    And enough sob stories about people that cannot control weight. I have been 50+ lbs overweight in my life, and you know what I did to lose it? Put down the fork and get off the couch. Its an easy recipe for success. Anyone that makes excuses about "not losing weight" is just lazy and likes to eat.
    And you may not be able to control if your friends are fat or not, but you can control if they are in your wedding party and on display for everyone to see. Just dont ask them to be involved.
    [/Quote]

Wow. And I thought ex-smokers were self-righteous.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

When my sister got married, she decided to have her future mother-in-law make the dresses for her two youngest sisters (including me) to save money. Nothing wrong with that, except that she used a thin material and no lining. All of the fittings were in the evenings, at my mother's home.

So, there I was, 14 years old, at my sister's wedding, standing in the morning sunlight, in a dress that was utterly see-through. If you haven't been naked in church in front of 3,000 practical-strangers, you haven't lived.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Wedding Pet Peeves

[Quote]

If you don't like the games to claim the centerpiece, what do you suggest guests do in order to take them home? Most guests expect to play something to win the centerpiece--how do you decide who gets them?Quote]

I will disagree that 'most' guests expect to dance around a table in order to be awarded a flower arrangement. I will also offer suggestions for altertatives. -Give centerpieces to special aunts and friends who have helped with the wedding. -Give them to the nursing home down the road. -Give them to the person at the table who has a penny under his chair or charger plate or a note on his chair. -Or chose to put it out of your head and permit it to take care of itself....