Zukas Hilltop Barn - rave!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Hi everyone,
    I used to see my venue's name all the time in posts and discussion, but not recently!
    So, I wanted to let everyone know that we had our tasting last week and it was awesome. They had a group tasting for all summer 2009 couples, which I was not wild about at first.
    However, they had the entire tent and ballroom staged and set up like a reception would be, complete with ceremony room, buffets, etc. So, you could picture exactly how it would look with tables, linens, lights, plates and centerpieces.
    Also, the dessert display was unbelievable. I ate so much I felt pretty sick on the way home, lol. I think I ate about three pieces of chocolate-covered fruit too many.

Just wanted to send out a rave for my venue, I am so excited to get married there now! I booked last November for this June, so the tent was down and nothing set up, but now I know it will be even more gorgeous than I imagined!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ellejay. Show ellejay's posts

I went to a wedding in june 2 years ago at Zuka's and loved it. It was gorgeous!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seafoam-bride. Show seafoam-bride's posts

I am thinking about having my wedding at Zukas next June, in 2010, but am worried about booking it without having tasted the dinner food. How were the entrees? Any other advice on Zukas would be great, such what hotels your guests are staying at, or shuttle services? Thanks so much!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Hi Seafoam!
    I booked Zukas without tasting a thing, I think that is pretty common with venues. You book and put down a deposit and then later, closer to the wedding you have a tasting of the food.
    I love how Zukas is a little bit different, and one event per day. Allison is so nice and gets back you right away with any questions you have.

We are doing the beef tenderloin meal, with red wine demiglaze. It was soooo good!
    They offer a ton of packages and will also put together a package and price it for you, if you want something they dont offer.
    I loved the fish entrees - a sole and salmon one - but my fiance hates the smell of fish and I wasnt wild about the chicken dishes. They were good, but nothing super special and I rarely see anyone who picks chicken at a wedding. At least in my group of friends.
    So, our vegetarian option is butternut squash ravioli, which were awesome and I am a raging carnivore.

We are doing Firstmark buses for the shuttle, as have about 110 people to transport. My limo company is Status Limo. I have a hotel block at the Publick House and they have been a pure joy to work with, bending over backwards to help us set anything up! I almost had the wedding there, but didnt like how the tent was set up a far distance from the hotel as we have some accessibility issues with older guests.

Anything else? I would be glad to help!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seafoam-bride. Show seafoam-bride's posts

Hi Beagles!
    Thank you sooo much for your posting! The shuttle info. and Publick House info. is super helpful. Will you and your fiance also be staying at the Publick House? My only concern about Zukas was the distance from hotels, but I think it will be manageable. I loved Allison; she seems great to work with . Do you have a color scheme for your wedding? I would love to see your pics after!! I feel like I will have more questions along the way, as I am just starting all of this planning, and if you have any random thoughts as well, I would love to hear them! my email is jennieairving@yahoo.com if that is easier. Thanks again!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Hi seafoam,
    My fiance and I are staying at the Publick House as well! Both our families are too. The rehearsal has to be on a Thursday, so its a three night stay for most of us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Hi seafoam,
    My fiance and I are staying at the Publick House as well! Both our families are too. The rehearsal has to be on a Thursday, so its a three night stay for most of us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Arh computer posted in the middle for no reason!

Its a 10 minute drive by car when you know where you are going, 15 minutes otherwise.
    Worcester was a solid 25 minutes and much more expensive per room.

Our colors are black and dark pink, with silver accents. Unconventional for a spring wedding, I know! The girls are wearing black chiffon dresses, the guys have black tuxes with silver vest/ties and the flowers are dark/deep pink with some pops of green.
    Tables will be ivory with ivory organza overlays and silver votive tree centerpeices on 1/2 and standard pink square centerpieces on the other half. Favors are going to be silver wedding bells, I think (tbd!)

We booked last November and got the last saturday in June, so we are on the same timetable as you guys!
    I found its nice to take a break from the planning and not have to rush!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seafoam-bride. Show seafoam-bride's posts

Thanks beagles! That is all very helpful..I don't have any other questions for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more, so I'll be in touch. Your colors sound beautiful; they'll look great with the black and white dance floor! Good luck with the planning, and I'll ttys!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seafoam-bride. Show seafoam-bride's posts

Hi Beagles and other Zukas brides!! I just booked Zukas for June 2010, and am very excited! I'm now starting to look at other vendors, and was wondering who you are using for DJ and photographer...if anyone has any suggestions for those or other vendors out there, that would be great! Thanks so much!!:)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Happy to have helped you in your decision and glad to see you booked a date! That is always exciting!

My vendors are:
    Photographer: Michelle Caucutt, who gets rave reviews on these boards, but moved to DC recently :( She is booking in MA for 2009, but not 2010
    DJ: Dennis MCarthy of Boston Djs, he has been used at 3 of our family weddings, we love him, great for dancing crowds and very quiet, no cheesiness
    Linens: Elegan Linens in Grafton, MA - very very reasonably priced, good selection, recommended by Zukas
    Flowers: Ladyslipper Designs, Natalie is supereasy to work with and has great ideas, recommended by Zukas too
    Ceremony musicians: Alla Breva flute/guitar duo - pricey ($425 for an hour, including travel) but just beautiful songs and I really wanted them, so I cut back on other things. I thought the guitar/flute suited Zukas better than strings too, and strings will cost you even more for a Saturday night wedding.
    JP - Beverly Cook, MA justice of the peace, super easy and flexible in the ceremony, she will do whatever you want. we are incorporating Celtic and Catholic ceremony traditions and vows.
    Limo: Status Limo, reasonably priced, based in Sturbridge, Nothing to report yet until the wedding day as the main point is whether they show up on time for any limo company, right?
    Hotel Block/Rehearsal Dinner: The Publick House, Sturbridge. LOVE them, soooo easy and great to work with, they have bent over backwards to accomodate us and assist us in any way we need.
    If you want to know any additional pricing, or even vendors I met with and didnt choose, feel free to ask!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

ETA: havent figured out the shuttles yet, but using some bus company, we know that. we want everyone to be able to go in one trip, so we need multiple vehicles. My concern was if we did trips, too many people would show up for the last trip to go to the ceremony and we would be delayed at least 25 minutes for an additional roundtrip.
    Havent done invitations or anything like that yet either.
    Dress and rings were bought in CT, so not helpful to most MA brides!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seafoam-bride. Show seafoam-bride's posts

Beagles, thanks so much for all your vendors, that is really helpful!! I am going to begin researching them, and then will probably have some more questions. Hope the rest of your planning is going well!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Abuse for what, pink kittie? Something I said?
    I am not a vendor, I promise!!!

Email away Jessie and good luck with planning! Hope I can help, my wedding is at Zukas in like 3 months, eeek!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

No no, HMT phtography posted an ad and their email on this thread. That is who Jessie wants to emaila nd who i reported for abuse, which is why their post is now gone. I'll delete my prior post.
    :)

[Quote]
    Abuse for what, pink kittie? Something I said?
    I am not a vendor, I promise!!!

Email away Jessie and good luck with planning! Hope I can help, my wedding is at Zukas in like 3 months, eeek!
    [/Quote]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from galire87. Show galire87's posts

I have Zukas saved as one of my "places to look at" for our wedding - does anyone have a website I can look at for pics please? We are planning a fun, laidback type of reception & so far this is in our top 5 places.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

well www.zukas.com has some pictures, but they dont do it justice!

other than that, try pictage.com and type in zukas. some photographers post their pictures there for advertisement of their work, but its a great way to see the venues too!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from galire87. Show galire87's posts

Thanks I'm gonna check out the pictage site right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TEENIEKEL512. Show TEENIEKEL512's posts

I am also getting married at Zukas in November and am sooooo excited! We've booked our DJ, working on photographer- pretty close, and cake. We booked our hotel today. So much to do!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Our hotel block is at the Publick House in Sturbridge. Laura has been super easy to work with, and is bending over backwards to help us in any way she can!

No cake for us, we are having the dessert table Zukas offers!

We are hitting the 3 month mark soon, and dipping under 100 days, which for some reason is alarming me, OH NO double digits! lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pizzutistudios. Show pizzutistudios's posts

This venue is absolutely, hands down, the best outdoor venue in all of MA. When you consider the availability and beauty of the grounds, the attentiveness of the staff and the quality of good, Zukas scored perfectly on all accounts.

In fact I just posted a blog about it yesterday...

http://tinyurl.com/daovum

If anyone is one the fence about booking this venue, take the leap and do it, you won't regret it!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I am doing the exact same thing. We have 175 people coming and all traveling, so we felt it was the right thing to do to transport them from the hotel block to Zukas. Since we have so many people, the only thing that worked for us was school buses. Trolleys and all would be too expensive because we would need so many.
    So, we got two school buses for the whole night - 5 to 1130 - costs $900.

we are definitely not ok putting a credit card on the bar and letting it run all night.
    so, we are putting down a certain amount of money and when it runs out, it runs out.

Zukas told us to budget 1900 for cocktail hour for that many guests, and for the whole night it would be $4000.
    HTH

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

figure two or three drinks per guest. The guests that choose not to drink and those too young to drink will cancel out those that choose to have more than two.

[Quote]Hi everyone! I am considering Zukas for my wedding in summer 2010. They told me that all Saturdays in June 2010 have already been snatched up, and now I see who they are!! :-) I just wanted to ask about the bar by consumption, which is how several venues do it and not just Zukas... How do you feel about this? How would you know how much people really drank? Does it make you nervous that you don't know what your final budget is? Also, since the hotels are a bit of distance from the venue, I think we'll have to get shuttle service. Would anyone mind giving me an idea of how much it would be to do so?[/Quote]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[Quote]
    JP - Beverly Cook, MA justice of the peace, super easy and flexible in the ceremony, she will do whatever you want. we are incorporating Celtic and Catholic ceremony traditions and vows. [/Quote]

Hi Beagles! We're using Beverly too! Just met with her a couple of weeks ago - i felt very comfortable with her. I think she'll be great - the only thing I'm wondering about is whether she'll be heard! she seemed very soft spoken. but i am not very concerned about that.
    just wanted to comment. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

my wedding ad an open bar, but when my mom and stepdad had their wedding 4 years ago, they had a consumption bar.
    They figured two or three drinks per guest, and at the end, the venue let them know they still had $x left over, so they announced that everyone should go get another drink to use it up- we were all happy to olblige. ;)
    So, they didn't have an issue of the money running out.