Anoter Dear Prudence (re gifts)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I just read both of those prudence letters, as well as a few others. I think prudy's responses are all pretty nasty. I also think alot of the letters seem fake. Almost like this advice column is derived of fake questions and answers, for entertainment purpose only.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

that might be because of the new person who has taken over for Prudence. She took over about 1-2 yrs ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Sarcasm is a wonderful thing, but Prudie has resorted to name-calling and overt nastiness.
    I'm a MA girl born and raised and my family is possibly the most sarcastic on earth. Common exchange:
    Did you get a hair cut?
    No, I got all of'em cut.

My ex-boyfriend ( the one who preceeded DH) couldn't handle it. He didn't get the whole "If we're not teasing you, it means we don't care" thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

This letter makes no sense. Do people really get separate gifts from their happily married parents? Did it really not dawn on her that the presents that she has been getting from her "mom" all these years are from both her parents??

And did she honestly write the following statement and not realize how ridiculous she sounds?
    But my mother has a chronic illness, which was much worse this winter, so that seems more like him taking care of my mother than him getting me a Christmas present.

I know the Dear Margo, which is currently published in the Globe, used to call herself Dear Prudence, but gave up the name and now there is another person who is Dear Prudence.

I, too, would like to know how to get one of these jobs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

It's not easy to cover up a tattoo, especially a large multi-colored one, with makeup. I know because I've had several upset bridesmaids come to Sephora dfesperately searchign for something, anything that will cover up their tattoo that the bride has decided they can't show. Even if the makeup does cover it, it's obvious you've got a ton of makeup on a part of your body where you normally don't wear it.
    And whose wedding dress would show off a tramp stamp? I can't recall the last time I saw a bride's lower back sticking out of her dress.
    My tattoos are as much a part of me as my nose, I wouldn't have covered it up for anyone on my wedding day. You might as well ask me to cover up my face.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I do agree she takes it a little past sarcasm... but I still enjoy it :o) When people deserve compassion, she shows it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The nonsensical nature of that whole post could be used in a college psych class. It can't be true. There are crazy, selfish nuts out there, but the list of nonsensical portions of this letter are evidence enough for me that it's made up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Emily Yoffe took over for the last Prudie.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I do agree that some letters seem made up. I mostly enjoy her sarcasm, to be honest. In this particular response, it was warranted! I have also seen Miss Manners show her sarcastic side now and then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

This making me miss Kids in the Hall.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

My mother usually gets all of our gifts, though my father helped pay for them when we were younger. Now he usually gets us a gift certificate for a spa every year. But he must have forgotten this year and I didn't even notice! Who keeps count?!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

Wow - when was this written? A dressing gown for a man - does anyone still use those?

Interesting.

Sad.

Selfish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Wait- someone took over for Emily Yoffe or Emily Yoffe took over for the last Prudie?

[Quote]that might be because of the new person who has taken over for Prudence. She took over about 1-2 yrs ago.[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OMG is this woman serious??? By the way my father didn't get me an xmas present this year... I didn't even notice until right now!!

Dear Prudence,
    This year, my dad didn't get me anything for Christmas. Usually, in our family, my mom does the Christmas shopping, wrapping, decorations, and so on. My dad (who often works 60 or 70 hours a week) has always made a Christmas Eve run to buy everyone bubble bath and trinkets. This year, my dad took the time to get five or six nice presents for my mother. I sew, and I spent hours making him a new dressing gown, which he loves. But I'm devastated that he personally did not bother to get anything for me (I'm 27) or my brother, who is 22. He took my mom out shopping to buy things for all of us, so maybe he thought that counted as his trip. But my mother has a chronic illness, which was much worse this winter, so that seems more like him taking care of my mother than him getting me a Christmas present. My parents have always been clear that their relationship with each other is more important than their relationships with the children. Should I try to have a conversation with my father and tell him that I'm hurt by his lack of thoughtfulness? Or should I just accept that he's being selfish, recognize that I can't change him, and do what I can to get over it?
    —Hurting

Dear Hurting,
    Here it is mid-January, here you are heading toward 30, and you're telling me you're not sure you can recover from the fact that Daddy dared get your ailing mother some lovely Christmas gifts and did not get you a bottle of cheap bubble bath (while he did pay for gifts given to you jointly by your parents)? Maybe instead of stewing over Christmas past, you should be focusing on your own New Year's resolutions. Let's enumerate some: Give up trying to displace your mother in your father's affections; realize when Christmas rolls around that you're no longer 8 years old; help your overworked father care for your ill mother. By your own account, your parents sound like loving, thoughtful, hardworking people; by your own account, you sound like an ungrateful wretch. You say your options are to confront your father or accept that he's selfish and can't be changed. I say you have a third choice: to see that you're stuck acting out some strange childhood drama but that it's way past time to pull down the curtain and get on with your own life. I'm going to guess you're single, so it's time you stopped focusing on your relationship with your father and started looking for a husband of your own. And if you're lucky, you will find one as devoted to you as your father is to your mother.
    —Prudie

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, fram. :)

I read these things and truly, again I find myself wondering if people write in simply to be published. People are selfish, to be sure, but it just doesn't make sense that she'd be more concerned about bubble bath than her dying mother. Does it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I like this letter:

Should I tell my father I slept with my stepmother?

Personally, I'm hoping that Prudie is making the letters up herself. I wish I could get a job making up questions for an advice column...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I believe Margo is Ann Landers daughter. I didn't know she used to be Prudence.
    After Ann Landers died, some of her secretaries took over the column - but of course it was never again an Ann Landers column.
    I wish there is a criteria for being a column writer. Some of the girls on this board could definitely do a much better job.

[Quote]This letter makes no sense. Do people really get separate gifts from their happily married parents? Did it really not dawn on her that the presents that she has been getting from her "mom" all these years are from both her parents??

And did she honestly write the following statement and not realize how ridiculous she sounds?
    But my mother has a chronic illness, which was much worse this winter, so that seems more like him taking care of my mother than him getting me a Christmas present.

I know the Dear Margo, which is currently published in the Globe, used to call herself Dear Prudence, but gave up the name and now there is another person who is Dear Prudence.

I, too, would like to know how to get one of these jobs.[/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

It's sad that she's so nasty now. I started following her page in college, and she wasn't nearly as venomous back then.

[Quote]I just read both of those prudence letters, as well as a few others. I think prudy's responses are all pretty nasty. I also think alot of the letters seem fake. Almost like this advice column is derived of fake questions and answers, for entertainment purpose only.[/Quote]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

EW. I pray to God that people who write these things are just sick and creative...but fake; and that people like this dont REALLY exist in this world.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My mom can't handle it either. Well, that's not exactly right. She doesn't get it - she gets this befuddled look...it's sad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

That explains the change in tone. Like I said, I'm all for sarcasm, but she always figures out a way to work it into every single response. The video responses sometimes make me want to smack her, she's so snide.
    [Quote]Emily Yoffe took over for the last Prudie.[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sarcasm, used sparingly and with true, dry wit, is my favorite instrument of humor. Maybe it's 'cause I'm from the Northeast. ;)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Ash - I have never gotten separate gifts from my happily married parents or grandparents (or aunts and uncles, or sisters and brothers-in-law....). I always get one gift from each. However, one of my friends does get separate gifts from her mom and dad - I always thought it was weird. To each his own, I guess.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    And whose wedding dress would show off a tramp stamp? I can't recall the last time I saw a bride's lower back sticking out of her dress.
    My tattoos are as much a part of me as my nose, I wouldn't have covered it up for anyone on my wedding day. You might as well ask me to cover up my face.[/Quote]

Yeah - on my wedding day, my tattoo will be covered due to its location. It would be highly inappropriate for anyone but the groom to see it - long after the ceremony has ended. If I decide that my MOH can't show her tattoo, I'll give all my bridesmaids matching wraps. I wouldn't ask her to pile on several inches of makeup - everyone would just end up spending the entire evening staring at it, trying to see what was underneath.

I will note that, traditionally, the bride was supposed to cover her face. This is why I refuse to wear a veil. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Good gravy. I am constantly surprised at selfishness like this. I just don't get it.
    Sounds like wonderful parents. I wonder what happened.