Another postal rate increase in May!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maggierep. Show maggierep's posts

Sorry about the size, that was a BIG mistake.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    Apparently the PO staff didn't know about this either.[/Quote]

The post office staff should have known. Last year, the government announced that, each year, the price of stamps will be adjusted in May to meet inflation. I can understand the average person not knowing, but postal workers really don't have that excuse.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

not sure which topic this would go under, but I thought it was important to share. Rates are set to go up on May 11th.
    It shouldn't effect invitations, as mostly those are over the first class rate anyway, but it COULD change the postage on your RSVP's. Mine are due back to us in April, but for June brides, this could result in late responses being sent back for insufficient postage if you don't use the forever stamp or similar.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

the forever stamps may be ugly, but they have saved me a boodle in postage. between the mailing of my resume and the mailing of bills (I don't trust paying bills online) i have a tendency to buy stamps "in bulk" (2 rolls of 100 at a time). I'm also not running to the post office to purchase "make up stamps" every time the rates go up, so it saves time as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi laryan,
    I am with you on this one - the forever stamps are definitely the way to go. We have gotten 3 invitations to weddings this spring/summer, one as late as last week - and to be honest, I have no idea what kind of stamps was on the envelopes.

Quote]

what i'm about to post may be unpopular (and I may get attacked for this) but with economics the way it is, its probably best to use the forever stamps instead of love/wedding/heart stamps on the wedding invites (or at least the RSVP's)...however, some of these invites are heavier than usual. then, i could see where one would be spending more than average on sending the actual invite.

[/Quote]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Postal rates will be increasing in May for the next several years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

additional comment: dosen't it seem "coincidental" that the postage rates have been going up during "wedding season"?

seems rather strange to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Forever stamps are greaet, I have 'em, too, but I just like the filigree hearts for the wedding stuff, that's all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

what i'm about to post may be unpopular (and I may get attacked for this) but with economics the way it is, its probably best to use the forever stamps instead of love/wedding/heart stamps on the wedding invites (or at least the RSVP's)...however, some of these invites are heavier than usual. then, i could see where one would be spending more than average on sending the actual invite.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

An alternative to the forever stamp, although a bit more expensive is the breast cancer awareness stamp. The extra few cents cost goes towards charity & the stamps are good, even through a rate change. I wouldn't exactly call them prettier than the forever stamp, but at least they are for a good cause. And any rsvp's that cross the rate change date will still be fine, and there's no messing with extra postage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

That's a great tip. Thanks for the notification!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I also think forever stamps are the best way to go. It seems like the "love" designs are never that great anyways. I remember for my May 07 wedding we had to get these silly blue "lovebird" ones. I almost did the custom stamp thing because I hated the thought of those silly birds or just the generic flag on my invites, but then DH pointed out how I'm probably the only one who'd notice. It was probably true.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I just couldn't imagine the picture quality being that great at that size.

[Quote]A friend of mine did it but not via the post office I think it was zazzel or something like that. She said it was ok but nothing that special.[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

A friend of mine did it but not via the post office I think it was zazzel or something like that. She said it was ok but nothing that special.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

By the way, I can sense that I'm in the minority here, but I actually think that the forever stamps are much prettier than those awful green love stamps they issued last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

No, that's 100 stamps for invites, 100 stamps for RSVP cards inserted and about 200 TY note stamps. Not a huge amount of money, but these days every dollar counts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

[Quote]I just couldn't imagine the picture quality being that great at that size.

[/Quote]
    The picture quality was horrible. However if you are a business and and want to have your logo it maybe worth it and it could be an expense to deduct? (maybe I am not a tax person so I am just guessing.)

I love pretty stamps but I may just give up and go for the Liberty Bell. I just wish they had done a flag rather than the liberty bell. I know that no one looks at the stamp and it is just a personal preference I like "pretty" and as such I even make my own return address lables so they are pretty.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

has anyone ever actually done the personalized stamp thing? I remember seeing it when I went to buy stamps for invites and TYs, just curious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That stinks!! The forever stamps are ugly. :(

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[Quote]

[/Quote] I agree. These days you can't go wrong w/the forever stamps.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

[Quote]Forever stamps are greaet, I have 'em, too, but I just like the filigree hearts for the wedding stuff, that's all.[/Quote]

I totally agree kar! I went about 2 weeks ago & bought $100 worth of stamps for the wedding & specifically asked if it was safe to get the pretty ones, or is the rate gonna change on me? Apparently the PO staff didn't know about this either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I never meant to imply anything with my comment about the forever stamps being ugly. It was a simple statement about the aesthetics of the stamps.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhbride09. Show nhbride09's posts

It's also a good idea to stock up on the forever stamps for all of the shower/wedding thank you notes that need to be sent out!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

this is getting ridiculous lately. everything is going up, yet people's salaries are stagnant, going down, or flat out lost in most cases.

dont worry about the forever stamps being ugly. i do not know anyone who even looks at the stamp when they receive a piece of mail

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maggierep. Show maggierep's posts

I hope everyone realizes wer'e only talking 2 cents here. For example usually 2 people invited per invitation, 100 invites go out so that's just $2.00 more plus whatever the response card postage is. Someone stated the invite itself usually is over an ounce anyway so maybe wer'e really only talking $2.00. The postage is the last thing to worry about with the cost of wedding related expenses. That's just my 2 cents[ha ha]