Best college town

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Best college town

MSN.com rated Amherst, Mass as the best town in which to attend college. What city/town do you think is most friendly toward college students?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

Re: Best college town

To me....the best college towns are the ones that don't have frats or football teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from alewifesports. Show alewifesports's posts

Madison, WI, hands-down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DesmondDad. Show DesmondDad's posts

I agree with Amherst as #1.  Montreal is a GREAT city with world-class universities (McGill, for one) but since when has it been part of the US?   Globe needs to revise its headline.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hinesy. Show Hinesy's posts

Madison *is* awesome.

But if you're a skier and you like New England, tough to beat Burlington VT.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aggromerchant. Show Aggromerchant's posts

When you come from a country of 300 million people, it's hard to care about how great a college town Montreal is.  As if being American isn't already a thankless experience in compromise and cultural surrender...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigmike02135. Show bigmike02135's posts

I agree with Amherst as #1.  Montreal is a GREAT city with world-class universities (McGill, for one) but since when has it been part of the US?   Globe needs to revise its headline.
    Posted by DesmondDad

Actually you're right... but the official rankings indicate best towns in North America.  The Globe should correct this

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from A-transplant. Show A-transplant's posts

Congratulations Amherst.  This year the town celebrates its 250 anniversary--1759--2009.

Amherst:  Where only the "h" is silent!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambski. Show lambski's posts

Amherst was better when Barsie's was there! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1sttimebuyer. Show 1sttimebuyer's posts

I've spent a considerable amount of time in both Madison, Wisconsin and Amherst, Massachusetts.  Amherst isn't in the same ballpark, division, league or even game as Madison.  Its not even close.  Amherst is nice, but come on, Madison has a ton more bars, restaurants, diversity, big time sports, its the state capital, and oh yeah, they have the best Student Union in America where you can drink beer outside on the lake while you listen to live bands!  Seriously, I almost shot diet coke out my nose when I read this "piece".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from horrifying. Show horrifying's posts

Couldn't they have picked a better picture than the damn football stadium?

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles6604.jpg
    or
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_miGBtNTDMT0/RghBq46bXXI/AAAAAAAAAkE/MQI8onvKneA/s400/Amherst+Main+Street.jpg
    or even
    http://www.mtctickets.com/cities/images/amherst-ma.jpg

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomofboston. Show tomofboston's posts

When you come from a country of 300 million people, it's hard to care about how great a college town Montreal is.  As if being American isn't already a thankless experience in compromise and cultural surrender...
    Posted by Aggromerchant

Then move out of the USA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambski. Show lambski's posts

Washington DC, Boston and Montreal shouldn't even be considered in this discussion since they are cities, not "towns".  That said, Oxford, MS. (home of Ole Miss) blows all these other places away.  The weather is better, the landscape is nicer b/c of the weather and ALL the women are stunning, not pale ugly hippies with dirty hair like they are up here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aggromerchant. Show Aggromerchant's posts

Amherst, 1sttimebuyer, has colleges.  OK?  It's a real college town, a center of education.  Constant keggers and tramplings at sporting events are great.  But so is an Emily Dickinson poem when you're trying to create atmosphere with a Smithie.  Get with it, pal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Billy898. Show Billy898's posts

Burlington, VT/ Missoula, MT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from saegoose. Show saegoose's posts

State College, PA!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Malitsky. Show Malitsky's posts

I was really surprised when I saw this list - Boston, DC, and Montreal aren't college towns - they're major cities that so happen to have some colleges in them.

I've studied and worked in Madison, WI; Chapel Hill, NC; Evanston, IL; and Bloomington IN.  I'd probably put Madison first.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aggromerchant. Show Aggromerchant's posts

You're missing the point, Tom.  Big time.  Amherst and Berkeley are the only true college towns on the list.   The US has many more college towns and it merits its own list. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmuva. Show dmuva's posts

Interesting list, I actually attended school at U-MASS Amherst and Concordia University in Montreal (1983-1987).  I attended Concordia on an exchange program for 1 year and extended it to two years.  So I spent 2.5 years in Amherst and 2 years in Montreal.

The best college town by a mile is Montreal in spite of the cold weather.  You can't beat the great food, night life, and reasonable prices.

I currently live in the DC area, okay for post graduation, not sure if it really a great college town.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TOrion. Show TOrion's posts

I also do not consider Boston, DC, NYC or even Montreal to be college “towns”.   I have been to most of the places mentioned and agree that Madison is among the best, but the weather of Madison is brutal.   Chapel Hill however has almost everything Madison has yet with the great weather.   Nothing beats CH, though I hear Austin is amazing but I've never been there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

"State College, PA!"

Agreed- sorry Amherst, but there is nowhere better than Happy Valley to go to school!

I didn't attend PSU, but visited frequently and was very tempted to transfer.

Hands down, State College, PA is Collegetown USA.

Mad Mex for life!

Although the one at Pitt in Oakland is by-and-large the best. If you are of the Mad Mex crowd...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hinesy. Show Hinesy's posts

Washington DC, Boston and Montreal shouldn't even be considered in this discussion since they are cities, not "towns".  That said, Oxford, MS. (home of Ole Miss) blows all these other places away.  The weather is better, the landscape is nicer b/c of the weather and ALL the women are stunning, not pale ugly hippies with dirty hair like they are up here.
    Posted by lambski

OK, admittedly, Burlington does have one major downside... ;)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bq2. Show bq2's posts

Lawrence, Kansas. Rock Chalk baby!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LRswimmer. Show LRswimmer's posts

Charlottesville, VA.  WAHOOWA!  What an amazingly beautiful place.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from footsyball. Show footsyball's posts

BURLINGTON, VERMONT.

Sections
Shortcuts