Best college town

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AMM-22. Show AMM-22's posts

Re: Best college town

???

The headline on the main page is "Best College Towns in the US" and #3 is Montreal..

Hey, in that case, why not include London, Melbourne or Berlin?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz1984. Show fitz1984's posts

Amherst definitely. I used to make fun of some of my friends in NYC or Boston since, to me, they did not get a "real" college experience while I did in a town like Amherst. But hey, everyone has their opinions and likes/dislikes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenney. Show fenney's posts

Chapel Hill, hands down! It has nightlife, sports, culture, decent weather, is affordable, and has a top-notch university.

I agree - while I love them all, Boston, DC and Montreal are cities and really don't belong on the list.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from markbul. Show markbul's posts

Another bad joke list. No Austin TX? No Athens GA? No Madison? And Washington freakin' D.C.? A great place to get shot. As for Amherst... someone's dreaming - maybe the best LGBT college town. Boston was a great college "city" back in the 1970s. Since then, raising the drinking age to 21 and gentrification have killed a lot of the appeal. Athens GA has 30,000 students, and they all go to the same few blocks to party. Where do students go in Boston - some apartment in Mission Hill?

"so is an Emily Dickinson poem when you're trying to create atmosphere with a Smithie.  "

I'm beating my head with a ballpeen hammer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tkquann13. Show tkquann13's posts

I'm a UMass grad and am happy to see Amherst on the list.  It's the quintasential college town.  I agree with everyone though, DC, Boston and Montreal aren't really college towns.  State College and Chapel Hill should both definitely be on the list as well.  Those places are great!  I've never been to Madison but anyone I know that went to U-Wisconsin loved it so I'll take all of your words on it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from malicesage. Show malicesage's posts

What a joke,,, I just Googled "Best College Towns" and Amherst did not come up in any of the results.

Just because Animal House was based there hardly makes a the best college town.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbear. Show dbear's posts

Madison is nice, but REALLY cold.  Ann Arbor is nice, too, but also too cold.  Right now, Austin is my favorite, followed by Eugene.  My own college town, Cambridge, is also in the running but is cold and maybe almost TOO urban.

db

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gill12690. Show gill12690's posts

NEW ORLEANS, LA 100% hands down the best college town in America. Great food, great nightlife, great weather (minus the hurricanes) and great people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeachReader13. Show BeachReader13's posts

Nothing beats Waterville, ME; home of the Colby College White Mules.....close to the mountains.....close to the Maine shore.....and home to the friendliest, sexiest, hardest working women east of berkeley. Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TOrion. Show TOrion's posts

New Orleans, is like Boston, DC or Montreal and not a real college "town".   It seems like the college towns most mentioned are:
    Chapel HIll
    Madison
    Amherst
    Austin

I would have to say Amerst thought good is a bit over-rated, a bit cold, and does not have the sports feel that say UNC or UT does.  Plus its in a somewhat remote location far from airports, and other metro area things.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

[QUOTE]Washington DC, Boston and Montreal shouldn't even be considered in this discussion since they are cities, not "towns".  That said, Oxford, MS. (home of Ole Miss) blows all these other places away.  The weather is better, the landscape is nicer b/c of the weather and ALL the women are stunning, not pale ugly hippies with dirty hair like they are up here.
    Posted by lambski[/QUOTE]

Mississippi is like a third world country.  And since it has the highest rate of obesity in the US, does that mean you consider fat women stunning??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmf3210. Show jmf3210's posts

This researcher doesn't know what she is talking about. I'd say if you were to drop Amherst, Washington, Montreal from the list, you'd have a pretty good start, but hardly the final edit. 
       Discounts on tourist attractions? Discounts around town? Easy travel? 
       Get real. This list is bogus. Even The Globe should find some standards to apply to a "list story" like this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mass2Wyom. Show Mass2Wyom's posts

Love Amherst. This Smithie spent a lot of time partying in Amherst both on campus and downtown. 2am when the bars closed and everyone was on the street waiting to buy a slice at Antonio's? Classic college town experience. I remember playing 3-man at Barsie's. Sad to hear it's gone. The best part was mixing with the students from the other schools (essential if you were a straight girl at smith). I think maybe some one-college towns are left off the list for that reason. But I would have left the cities off the list and had some other real towns.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Johnsouthshore. Show Johnsouthshore's posts

I'm impressed that Amherst is ranked #1.. also surprised..

If you have ever been to Athens, Ohio.. you would not agree.. a real town.. which is identified solely with Ohio University that is there...great and safe area....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsh2130. Show lsh2130's posts

Absolutely State College, PA! 

We are...Penn State!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Lowell

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lollipopp. Show lollipopp's posts

Amherst is beautiful... Was there three weeks ago... and it was a magical night. Imagine  driving into town, it's sunset, weather outside is a clear 80degrees... seeing students hanging out on front porches drinking beer, relaxing & having parties, listening to the Red Sox... Driving down Main St. A festival in the central park... Ladies dressed in sun dresses... Guys playing an impromptu game of ultimate frisbee... Looking out at bucolic green fields and seeing the Holyoke Range in the distance. I think Madison, Chapel Hill, Athens GA etc are great places too - but I think it's supposed to be about a town that's home to many colleges not just one. There's approximately 30,000 students among the five schools.

Of course typical of the Globe - the only photo it can find from its archive is the UMass Stadium...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JGator. Show JGator's posts

Gainesville, Fl. Go Gators!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TOrion. Show TOrion's posts

[QUOTE]Amherst is beautiful... Was there three weeks ago... and it was a magical night. Imagine  driving into town, it's sunset, weather outside is a clear 80degrees... seeing students hanging out on front porches drinking beer, relaxing & having parties, listening to the Red Sox... Driving down Main St. A festival in the central park... Ladies dressed in sun dresses... Guys playing an impromptu game of ultimate frisbee... Looking out at bucolic green fields and seeing the Holyoke Range in the distance. I think Madison, Chapel Hill, Athens GA etc are great places too - but I think it's supposed to be about a town that's home to many colleges not just one. There's approximately 30,000 students among the five schools. Of course typical of the Globe - the only photo it can find from its archive is the UMass Stadium...
    Posted by lollipopp[/QUOTE]

There are not many towns "that's home to many colleges not just one."  Most places that have many colleges are cities the rest are Amherst, MA.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sox-2004. Show Sox-2004's posts

I went to UMass.  Calling Amherst the best college town in America is laughable.  State College, PA, Boulder, CO, Austin, TX.....I could name a hundred before I got to Amherst. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwtmv. Show jwtmv's posts

Ive been to Amherst- nice town, nowhere near the best.  My bro went to UW-Madison, the weather isn't great, but the town is awesome.  However nothing beats University of Colorado in Boulder.  Right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, 300 sunny days, beautiful campus, beautiful women, great college atmosphere, amazing restaurants and bars, Vail is 1 1/2 hours away, Denver is 30 min, and Boulder has everything you could possibly want. As they say, 25 square miles surrounded by reality.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NewEnglandRules. Show NewEnglandRules's posts

She has obviously never been to Saratoga Springs, NY, home of Skidmore College.  What a great town -- vibrant night life, great restaurants and pubs, a busy main street with a variety of shops, home of one of the oldest thoroughbred tracks in the country, summer home of the NYC Ballet, Philadelphia Orchestra, etc.  I know parents who have steered their kids to Skidmore because of its walking proximity to this great city.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aggromerchant. Show Aggromerchant's posts

People, don't you realize that Amherst has a multitude of schools that the other towns lack?  The possibilities of crowds and contemplative solitude in Amherst add to its allure.  Who knows if it's the best?  But to ignore it and yield to Big Ten and ACC towns would be silly.  Great college towns should also inspire mixed feelings.  Few places are as worthy of both adoration and contempt as Amherst.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drains. Show Drains's posts

[QUOTE]When you come from a country of 300 million people, it's hard to care about how great a college town Montreal is.  As if being American isn't already a thankless experience in compromise and cultural surrender...
    Posted by Aggromerchant[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me?

And who cares what is the best college town?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cumbia. Show cumbia's posts

I love Amherst!  I went to Smith and there is no place like Western Mass.  Beautiful town, and a progressive political climate.