Best college town

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvigneux. Show mvigneux's posts

Re: Best college town

There is another college town in Massachusetts besides Amherst and Boston that a lot of people often overlook...Worcester. The Worcester area boasts 15 colleges, nine of which are within the city. These include such world renowned universities as the College of the Holy Cross, WPI, and Clark University. There is also a top notch medical school (UMass Medical School), a pharmacy college (Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences) and a veterinary school (Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University). The Worcester area has a diverse offering of colleges and universities that feature more than 30,000 students and 11,000 faculty and staff. These colleges also offer athletics at all three NCAA levels, Division I, II and III. Worcester has great restaurants and nightlife in areas such as Shrewsbury Street and the burgeoning Canal District.

See for yourself why "Worcester Rocks":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if3PLfZpV_Y

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shellb. Show shellb's posts

I agree, this list is ridiculous.  Amherst is not alone in being a 'town' with tons of schools and a fun, ecclectic mix for great student life.  And so, ok, maybe it belongs on this list.  But DC has got to go. And Montreal. I do think Boston belongs on there, but mostly because it has SO many colleges and universities and really does feel like a city AND a 'college town'.  But DC?  Are you joking? I went to Georgetown, and believe me, unless you're swimming in extra cash, DC is no fun for a college student.  And Montreal, although I'm sure a fun place, is bloody freezing 8 months out of the year, in a city that speaks FRENCH. 
    I'm sure Amherst is great, but then where are the other's just like it? Burlington VT comes to mind, with its many colleges and laid back attitude, and close proximity to Montreal and skiing.  Or why not Chapel Hill, NC or Charlottesville, VA, or Madison, WI?  And if Berkely is going to be on there, you need to include basically any town that has a school with thousands of students.... like Columbus OH, Gainsville FL, Tuscon, AZ....how about Lincoln, NE, I hear they got great spirit...you could go on and on.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

Umass is known to have a div 1 program.  Sounds like the Discount Globe is afraid of libel.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from masswaste. Show masswaste's posts

Amherst is the best.  I've been  to a bunch of college "towns" for work and Madison is awesome, but the collective soul of the Pioneer Valley is #1.  Where else can you enroll in one school and have the opportunity to take classes at 5 of the best colleges/universities in the USA? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tysonmcneely. Show tysonmcneely's posts

[QUOTE]Love Amherst. This Smithie spent a lot of time partying in Amherst both on campus and downtown. 2am when the bars closed and everyone was on the street waiting to buy a slice at Antonio's? Classic college town experience. I remember playing 3-man at Barsie's. Sad to hear it's gone. The best part was mixing with the students from the other schools (essential if you were a straight girl at smith). I think maybe some one-college towns are left off the list for that reason. But I would have left the cities off the list and had some other real towns.
    Posted by Mass2Wyom[/QUOTE]

Bars close at 1 not 2.  Anyone who went to the 5 colleges knows this.  And what the hell is 3-Man?  A game you made up when you took 3 dudes with you into the bathroom?

I went to UMass and grew up in Amherst.  I am happy to see it on the list, but it does not deserve #1, not even close.  Austin is hands down better, berkley probably is as well as many places in better weather or that have bigger state colleges.  As far as businesses go, there's like 5-6 Bars uptown and that's basically it.  All the locals hate students even though it's the only reason Amherst isn't a rural town.  That being said, I did have an awesome time going there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SigmaChi. Show SigmaChi's posts

Ms. Cohen is clearly not thinking about towns rather cities, has not been to the great college towns and is clearly biased toward elite universities and east and west coast cities.

Madison, Wisconsin is # 1 in most of theses polls. Being a Badger, I'm biased. In my experience, in order:

Madison, Austin, Boulder, E.Lansing, Champaign, Ann Arbor, Lawrence, Bloomington, State College, Chapel Hill, Athens, Charlottesville, Tempe, Norman.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joshs1. Show joshs1's posts

There's approximately 30,000 students among the five schools. 

Madison has 40,000+ students

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mass2Wyom. Show Mass2Wyom's posts

Fine 1am - whatever. It was more that 15 years ago.

Anyone who went to the five colleges knows that 3-man is a dice game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Not everyone around drinks beer.

[QUOTE]I've spent a considerable amount of time in both Madison, Wisconsin and Amherst, Massachusetts.  Amherst isn't in the same ballpark, division, league or even game as Madison.  Its not even close.  Amherst is nice, but come on, Madison has a ton more bars, restaurants, diversity, big time sports, its the state capital, and oh yeah, they have the best Student Union in America where you can drink beer outside on the lake while you listen to live bands!  Seriously, I almost shot diet coke out my nose when I read this "piece".
    Posted by 1sttimebuyer[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigWillie2. Show BigWillie2's posts

Another UMass-Amherst grad here.  I liked Amherst but I wouldn't rank it anywhere near number 1.  Heck, it wouldn't even make no. 1 in the Pioneer Valley, I like Northhampton better.  Of the towns I've personally been to I'd have to put Austin TX at number 1 and Missoula MT 2nd.  But I've never visited some of those that are always getting mentioned, including Madison and Athens.  I'm sure I'd love those too.  It's hard to dislike any true College Town.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

There are numerous college towns which enjoy a rightful place near the top.
    Many retirees want to reside near a college town because they offer a great library,a good range of cultural events,and oftentimes restrictive growth policies.
    Amherst and University of Virginia may have the most beautiful campus settings,but I would suggest people look at Corvallis,Oregon,San Luis Obispo, Ca.,
    and Lexington, Virginia where you have VMI and Washington and Lee.
    For students anyplace is great if it is away from home or you have a great roommate.I am amazed how people believe State College is good for it has the worst weather outside Anchorage,Alaska.