Blind date tales

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Blind date tales

In an era where you can get anything as soon as you want it- movies on demand, music downloads, etc.- now you can find potential matches online in an instant. Have you been on a blind date? We want to hear about your experiences.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

Blind date tales

For the online dating services, I would strongly urge you stay away from them. I met several women on there including a psycho who steadily moved her stuff into my house. None of the women were worth the time. NONE. And try to break up with one of these basket cases...look out!

The dating service that offers to match you on x amount of specific character traits does no such thing. They pretty much throw anyone at you. They use a lower limit of a 75 mile radius as well. Sure they found someone for you in Lowell as promised, but she lives in Attleboro.

I was also set up on a few blind dates and found that any woman 35+ who has never been married, was never married for a reason. It took only a few dates to see why. I usually got the 'ole "I haven't met the right guy" line but that is complete nonsense. Funny thing is they actually believe this to be true.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from archer1267. Show archer1267's posts

Blind date tales

"I was also set up on a few blind dates and found that any woman 35+ who has never been married, was never married for a reason."

Are you over 35? Have you ever been married? If not, do you apply the same logic to yourself? I'm always amused to see these "theories" applied to one gender and not the other.

When I was single I did match.com. Met some people, dated a couple of them briefly. I don't have any "psycho" stories to share because I think I did a good job of pre-screening and by the time we met, I knew we had enough in common to have fun and keep the conversation rolling. (And that our photos didn't repel each other.) Most of the time, these were nice guys but there was no "spark" there. I think the worst that could be said was a couple of guys probably should have waited before throwing themselves into the dating pool - for instance, wait until the ex-girlfriend has found another place to live and doesn't need to be living in your 2nd bedroom.

As for this new, "immediate" dating service, how is this different from those "Looking for date tonight?" postings on Craig's List? If it's not about compatibility but schedule availability, then it's really code for "hooking up." Maybe it's a generational thing but I don't think I'd like what this would say about me - that I'm available for a date within 2-4 hours' notice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajstarsurprise. Show ajstarsurprise's posts

Blind date tales

My husband and I met over 4 years ago on Yahoo Personals and just married in August. He was my first and only "online date" and vice versa for him. I am not an experienced online dater, but I do think it put me out there and opened me up to new people I would never meet as opposed to the same Fan Hall weekly bar crowd. I truly believe there are certain people in the world you can connect with, it just takes an open mind and a good sense of character to find them. That is why I think online dating is such a good dating resource. -->-->But I do agree that you can have some misses with online dating. My husband and I went out to dinner at the Chestnut Hill mall the other night and had the privilege of sitting through a very loud first online date. He was an experienced online dater and it was her first. It was clear he wasn't a match for her, him a gym teacher, her a -->-->Brookline-->--> condo owner with a real estate license (like I said they were very loud). She ran in the morning, he ran with the kids, she vacations in Aruba, he doesnÆt know where -->Aruba--> is. But I would have thought, if he and she were more honest in their profile, they could have skipped the painful small talk on their one and only date. -->-->So my 2 cents, be honest, keep an open mind and when you find yourself saying the reason for dating failure is it is not you it is them no wonder they are online, just stop, reword your profile to be more honest and give it another shot. -->-->

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebecca999. Show rebecca999's posts

Blind date tales

Your comments are a little upsetting being a single 35+ woman (38) First of all the same goes for woman doing the internet dating thing. They will throw anyone at you and most of the guys are not my type in looks, personality, character etc. I never internet date or goin to single events because trythfully noone I want to meet has anything to do with that.

Secondly, a woman who has never been married before 35 could just might have been in a relationship that didnt lead to marriage and now she's in her late 30's.... so you want to punich or characterize someone because of their marital status?

and what about men over 35 who have not married. Are they just cool studs ? its a double standard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

Blind date tales

"Are you over 35? Have you ever been married? If not, do you apply the same logic to yourself? I'm always amused to see these "theories" applied to one gender and not the other. "

Yes I am over 35 and was married. I don't apply these "theories" to my own gender because I don't date members of my own gender. I can only apply it to my own experiences.

I agree with you on the "immediate" dating service that it is probably a generational thing and one that would not interest me either. Definitely code for hooking-up and nothing more meaningful.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebecca999. Show rebecca999's posts

Blind date tales

Internet couples deserve each other. They are both desperate enough to look a pictures on a computer for a "date" I know a couple that met on match and they are the uglier version of Doug and Carrie from King of Queens. He's fat and kind of cute and she's thin and kind of ugly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tina160. Show tina160's posts

Blind date tales

I have been divorced for 11 years and was busy soley raising my daughter until a year and half ago I decided it was time to start dating. "Where do you start?" At my age, there aren't many options meeting people unless you have a list of endless friends that can introduce you to someone. Or, at the workplace, but everyone your age is already in a comfortable long time relationship, or married.

So, I took advise from one of my daughter's college friends and signed up on Match......"ohhhhhh, what a big mistake!" It was very depressing as it was my first look at what was going on out there in the changing world when it comes to honesty, respect, responsibility, etc. I didn't have any problem getting a zillion responses, however every person I did end up meeting WAS NOT looking for a long-term (never mind manogomous) relationship, even though they indicated so during a few phone conversations. And, the first date was mostly a quick coffee..."let's do it in the parking lot", or, "do you own a house?", if so, let's get married! Thinking the "other" dating service was any better turned out much the same.

It wasn't so much as whether or not the men I met were "never married", nor was it because they were at the tail end of a previously gone sour relationship. What I found with all the dates I went on was ALL had health issues (i.e. alcholism, diabetes, cancer, emphasema). These men ranged from 38 to 54 years old!!!! What happen to keeping in shape since we are more educated than our parents were.

I'm keeping optimistic, but I think I'm going to wait until the right person comes along rather than speeding up the process!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajstarsurprise. Show ajstarsurprise's posts

Blind date tales

I am sorry to hear such bad experiences online. I bet the same could be said for picking someone up in a bar or going to 30 minute dating.

I think that at least you are putting yourself out there and seeing what it is like to date and shop around. If we all found someone right away then dating probably would not be as fun.

As for Rebecca 38 and single, I dont think you should generalize online daters as ugly nerds. My husband and I are very fit, attractive, outgoing people that just were not meeting anyone interesting until we found each other. I think Cosmo might be right, you might just be to cynical to date.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

Blind date tales

"He's fat and kind of cute and she's thin and kind of ugly."

Yikes!

See...it doesn't take long to find out why.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Blind date tales

So you can bash women over 35 who have never been married? So, then we can bash you back because you "were" married....wonder why you're not anymore....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebecca999. Show rebecca999's posts

Blind date tales

Just being honest on an anonymous basis. And why arent you married anymore? See... it doesnt take long to find out why.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from archer1267. Show archer1267's posts

Blind date tales

"Of course there was no spark.....You thought they were ugly or nerds. Be honest with your superficial logic."

Don't put words in my mouth or project your own insecurities onto me. There are different kinds of "sparks," you know. In some cases I was attracted physically to someone but that was it.

And anyone who thinks that physical attraction doesn't matter or has no place in assessing whether you want to date someone is seriously deluding themselves. Is it the most important thing? No. Does it factor in, for better or worse? Yes. Deal with it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Blind date tales

Recently I read an article that discussed online dating (and dating in general). And the woman speaking had the best point of view I have ever heard. She said she didn't agree with online dating. She thought that a single person who was intersted in meeting someone should, in fact, put that thought into the back of your head and instead focus on enjoying themselves. Enjoy going out with friends, enjoy picking up new hobbies, or getting back to old ones that you haven't had time for. Just get to know yourself and what you enjoy and she said that, in turn, you will meet people with similar interests and will have a better chance of meeting someone you are compatible without forcing anything like online dating does.

Besides the whole safety issue involved when using online dating, she also mentioned that although online dating provides more quantity, typically it means less "quality".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Blind date tales

First of all..I'm not over 35, just defending those who are. Also, you shouldn't generalize, you don;t know people's situations. I personally know someone who was with the same man for five years (engaged for 2 years) who then left her for a teeny bopper because he suddenly had a pre-midlife crisis. Would you say this was her fault? I think it would be his insecure little mind that caused this problem.

And why should they settle? Myself, I'd rather stay single than have to live the rest of my life with a loser. As I don't believe in divorce, it would never be an option so I would be stuck with them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

Blind date tales

Not "bashing" at all. Obviously I hit a nerve.

You might be perfectly fine but my experiences have been these women are expecting George Clooney or Mr Perfect to come along and he hasn't and never will. I just rule them out.

A few examples: one actually yelled at me in the parking lot of a restaurant because my directions weren't exactly accurate. And I mean yelled. I was only trying to find a place between were we lived and was not familiar with the area.

One started arguements about things I didn't actually say. I'm not talking about weeks or even days later, I am talking seconds later.

One didn't return a phone call for weeks and when she finally did call asked what my intentions with her were going to be. She was actually upset I didn't keep calling her. So she wants a stalker? Or the very least, someone to keep chasing even after it seems futile?

As for my wife, she passed away 12 years ago.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Blind date tales

She did not let herself go..though he did. She's at the gym 4 days a week, has a good stable job, and owns her own home. He, on the other hand, can't seem to save a buck ever, is getting paunchy, and is one of the laziest men I have ever met. She may miss him, but I say she's lucky as hell to get rid of him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajstarsurprise. Show ajstarsurprise's posts

Blind date tales

--> -->Dating is different for everyone and people meet people in the strangest places. I know some people who are having a hard time getting back in the game and are using Match and Eharmony as a way to get back in the game. -->-->I agree that if you want to meet the right person you should just wait for it to happen, but I wasnÆt looking for anything other than a buddy when I logged onto to Yahoo Personals and I ended up meeting my best friend. Weather or not you have been cheated on, dumped, just not that into him or whatever, I think a person has a certain outlook on relationships and that will never change. Some people are not open to certain situations. Maybe thats why you are cynical about meeting people.
    For the woman who are defending their age and their dating patterns, maybe you should think about your relationship outlook as opposed to places you go to find dates. And men who keep generalizing woman and their age, what makes you so special?
    PS The couple from King of queens might be ugly but at least they depict a normal relationship. Maybe all the people here 35 and older who never married should start a reality TV show.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Blind date tales

I don't think it has anything to do with age. Sounds more like mental stability.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajstarsurprise. Show ajstarsurprise's posts

Blind date tales

Slacker men are so ugly inside and out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajstarsurprise. Show ajstarsurprise's posts

Blind date tales

I think they couldnt have kids that was one of the topics on the show.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebecca999. Show rebecca999's posts

Blind date tales

You misread the message. I think Doug and Carrie from King of Queens are very attractive. She's georgeous and he's cute , just a little hefty. The couple I know who are getting married from match.com are similar in the fact that one is fat and the other is thin.

Neither one of them is attractive and nobody else in the real world wanted them so Kudos to them! They can rub it in every single person's face (that gives a crap) that they "found" each other.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebecca999. Show rebecca999's posts

Blind date tales

You know its mostly men that dont look good when they get older. Woman can fluff and dye and get facials and wear makeup where men sometimes just get old and fat. Look at Alec Baldwin. He was beautiful when he was younger....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajstarsurprise. Show ajstarsurprise's posts

Blind date tales

Maybe you should spend a little less mocking people who met someone and are happy and instead get an attitude overhaul. So what if your friend a fat and happy, good for them, you live a much better life with a friend than without.
    You have 10 years on me and maybe lived a little more, but one thing is certain in dating that personality goes a long way.
    Hopefully you will meet someone someday that hates relationships and meeting people as much as you so. Maybe you should consider dating a 38 year old cynical woman.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from withououtaclue. Show withououtaclue's posts

Blind date tales

Hey Rebecca999:

Want to go out for a date? I'm 32!