Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) does not work!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mackygirl. Show mackygirl's posts

Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) does not work!

I am writing to express my disgust over an incident that happened on Cedar Street in Dedham on the morning of September 20th. 

A man was walking his beloved Shih Tzu when out of nowhere a German Shepard ran over and began to attack the Shih Tzu.   As the man tried to tear the German Shepard off of his hysterical dog, he fell.  Good Samaritans stopped to help and the man and his dog were both taken to the hospital (Beth Israel and the vet, respectively). 

The dog, lucky to be alive, is home recovering with a body full of stiches.  The man broke his hip when he fell and is recovering from hip surgery.

While this must have been a horrifying experience, we are all thankful they are going to be okay.

So why am I disgusted? I called several news stations to report this dog attack and, you guessed it, they never ran the story.  Yet, the same day, a dog that was “believed to be a pit bull mix” in Chelsea bit a young child, and of course, that story was on the news for days.  The media finds any outlet as a way to glorify “pit bull” type dogs in a negative way.  This leads to discriminatory laws and practices that are essentially death sentences for dogs labeled as “pit bulls”.   Pit bull dogs don’t just suffer in areas such as Boston where there is Breed Specific Legislation (or BSL where pit bulls are required to be muzzled because they “pose a significant threat to health, welfare and safely of the residents and visitors of the city of Boston”. 

They also suffer when myths, fear and generalizations are accepted as facts. 

The German Shepard attack in Dedham is just one of many examples of how BSL does not work.  Being a responsible dog owner is the only way to prevent dog bites/attacks. 

Yesterday, I brought my pit bull, who recently passed her therapy dog test, to a dog park in Boston, and I will admit it, I did not muzzle her, because I am a responsible dog owner; I know my dog and I attend to my dog.  When a boxer became very aggressive with a golden retriever.  The ignorant owner did nothing to stop it and a dogfight broke out.  I wanted to scream “and my dog is required to be muzzled???” 

In the past month, my 10-year-old Schnoodle was attacked by a French Bull Dog, my neighbors puppy was attacked by a Golden Retriever (both aggressive dogs were off leash) and my pit bull, who is a therapy dog, was bit by a lab.  These are just examples that happened in my life in the last month. 

ANY dog can be aggressive and dog can bite.  It is time the person on the end of the leash started taking responsibility.  Myths, fears and generalization of “pit bull” type dogs are not only ridiculous, but they are not true.  BSL doesn’t make our communities safer: it punishes responsible dog owners, it kills pets needlessly, it does nothing to make irresponsible dog owners accountable and it is costly.  Please visit www.stopbsl.com for more information. 

My thoughts and prayers are with the man, his beloved dog and their family in Dedham as they recover from a traumatic experience…. one that could have been prevented very easily had the dog’s owner been responsible. 

And if anyone would like to meet an ambassador for the breed, Corina the Pit Bull Therapy Dog, loves meeting new people.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Re: Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) does not work!

You are right! All big dogs should be muzzled, regardless of breed. I'll support that!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) does not work!:
    [QUOTE] My thoughts and prayers are with the man, his beloved dog and their family in Dedham as they recover from a traumatic experience…. one that could have been prevented very easily had the dog’s owner been responsible.     
    Posted by mackygirl[/QUOTE]
    Maybe, hopefully, the owner of the German Shepherd took responsibility for the incident [plus learned from the experience] and both parties requested no publicity?  Just guessing,  anyway I agree with you,  all dogs have the potential to be aggressive,  some breeds more than others though.  They all bite, I have scars caused by a 15 pound small breed dog !   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I think because you cannot discriminate against people, the secondary route is to discriminate against the breeds. 
    What I mean is that the gangsta skinhead tattoo-covered druggie, usually want to pick out a tough breed of dog. A dog with attitude, like a pit-bull or other such famously aggressive dog. These people probably don't make the best owners and the dogs end up biting people and getting a reputation. Its a self-feeding system.
    So making laws targeting big dogs (as you cant make a law saying idiots cant own big dogs) is a great idea to then cut this cycle and give these breeds a better reputation in the future, as they are taken out to play with muzzles on (and what is wrong with a muzzle? Just means no frisbee or ball-catch). Maybe instead the law should say big dogs have to be taken out with a pretty pink leash, and ribbons with a bow around their head. "Toughie" owners will soon enough stop buying them. 

That said. Expanding the current laws to other big dogs is the best situation. You can never predict when a dog will have a scrap (as you mentioned above with your own life). God forbid it had a toothache one day and an annoying brat went to "play". You just can never tell. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EmersonCat. Show EmersonCat's posts

I don't agree. Pitbulls are vicious dogs and they should be strictly monitiored.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tanner007. Show Tanner007's posts

I do not own a dog, but I do think pitbull laws are ignorant. Yes, Pitbulls do hurt people, animals, or worse, but as the LW denotes, this is often caused by the owners! For every pitbull that is aggressive and mean, there are quite a few others who are sweet animals hoping to find their "forever home."  Go into any shelter in Boston, and you will see the dog adoption center filled with pitbulls that just want to lick your hands through the pen. 

Anyways, here is a story from CNN today, that actually sheds a good light on the breed! It is entitled: Pit Bull Saves Woman Who Fell Down Hill, and the incident takes place in PA. http://www.wtae.com/r/29297655/detail.html.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I think all dogowners should be responsible for the behavior and the management of their dogs. Ironically..one of the sweetest dogs I have ever known in my life is a Pit Bull..who was rescued by her owner..a friend of mine 12 years ago. She was the gentlest dog ever. She died last week at the age of 14. She never hurt a soul.
    Conversely the most vicious dog I ever met was a chihuahua /terrier cross. That dog was nuts and bit everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Re: Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) does not work!:
    [QUOTE]I think all dogowners should be responsible for the behavior and the management of their dogs. Ironically..one of the sweetest dogs I have ever known in my life is a Pit Bull..who was rescued by her owner..a friend of mine 12 years ago. She was the gentlest dog ever. She died last week at the age of 14. She never hurt a soul. Conversely the most vicious dog I ever met was a chihuahua /terrier cross. That dog was nuts and bit everyone.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

I hate little yappy dogs. They are evil satan-spawn. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a horrible story!  

I totally agree that breed specific laws are ridiculous.  Any dog can be trained to hurt people or have a vicious nature.  Pit bulls can be wonderful, gentle pets just as any dog of every breed can be a nightmare.

Dog owners are signing up to be responsible members of the greater pet community when they own any dog of any breed.  If they want to take the dog out in public it must have been properly socialized and proven trustworthy around other dogs and people.  

Our dog has been taken out in public and taught how to behave since she was 10 - 12 weeks old.  Stores, parks, sidewalks, everywhere.  Her nature is such that she doesn't have a vicious bone in her body.  No training necessary in that regard.  She brings nothing but joy with her everywhere she goes.  Why muzzle all dogs, Plasko?  

Owners who know their dog is prone to attack should leave them home.  And, if they must be out in public, muzzle them and use strict and proper controling measures including short leashes and corrective collars.

We were at a cafe the other day that welcomes dogs, and a gentleman came up to me and Gracie and said, "Don't let our dog see your dog, please - our dog doesn't like other dogs."  Um, then why is he out where other dogs are around?  Why is that my problem?

Responsibility, not laws, is the answer.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I agree,  but the problem is certain breeds if and when they do get into a fight... will fight to kill, it's in the DNA, their genetic makeup,  their jaws lock onto the prey, making them capable of causing severe injury.  They may be the sweetest dogs in the world ...  unfortunately you never know when this might happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Why muzzle all dogs, Plasko?   Owners who know their dog is prone to attack should leave them home.  And, if they must be out in public, muzzle them and use strict and proper controling measures including short leashes and corrective collars. .... Responsibility , not laws, is the answer.  
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Creating laws forces responsibility. Anyhow I said muzzle big dogs. The dogs that can actually do harm to a human. The evil yappy dogs might give a nip but are hardly likely to kill, unless in a pack. 
    And if you are against breed specific legislation then the only other alternative is to muzzle all big dogs, regardless of how gentle/cute/cuddly they are. OR muzzle zero dogs in which case fatalities will occur. 
    You forget how many idiots are out there. You have to see beyond the responsible owners. 

Similar arguements can also be made for guns or alcohol drinking limits. But since you cant test people's responsibility, what do you do? A blanket law for all, thats what.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WorseThanEzra. Show WorseThanEzra's posts

You need a license to buy a gun - the same with buying alcohol, you need to be a certain age.  So similar arguments can be made, but they won't be very relevant.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Anyone interested in this subject may be interested in the thread  "Neighbors won't leash pitbull"  down in the Dedham forum.

Sections
Shortcuts