Can black generational gap be bridged?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Tensions are simmering between the civil rights and hip-hop generations. Do you think they can close the gap? How?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beautmind64. Show beautmind64's posts

No because sex, drugs, violence and "thug life" sells and makes the likes of Bob Johnson etc. very rich.....there will of course be those who put up a good front against misogyny and the proliferation of drugs and violence, but they go right back to their old tricks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davestellaSD. Show davestellaSD's posts

Let me see if I've got this straight;

We're having a discussion about a black generational gap.

This discussion was prompted by the naming of an album by a certain rap artist.

The Globe and boston.com decided to protect me and society by referring to the album's name as "a certain racial slur".

Have I got it right so far?

Is there anyone out there who didn't immediately fill in the "certain racial slur"? We're expected to carry one intelligent discourse while completely evading the subject that prompted the discussion?

We all know what "certain racial slur" is referred to. Why can blacks use it and not whites? What does it matter? Its just a word.

If I offended anyone; too damn bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazed. Show amazed's posts

Let me see if I've got this right..... Writing in big print makes you feel important.

No one should use the word, period.

If your rational for using the word is "they do it, why can't I?", then there's a much deeper issue at hand.

Continue to use the word.... I'd rather know who the racists are than not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davestellaSD. Show davestellaSD's posts

You got it wrong!
    1.The text size was a technical oops.
    2. Its a word. George Carlin once said " There are no bad words. Badthought, bad intentions, and words". Do you mean to imply that we should ban cerain words? Who decides whicjhh words get banned?
    3. I don't use the word

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

You are right on target Dave. Actually, before George Carlin started riffing on words, Lenny Bruce was doing it. Removing the word from a news story about the word is very Orwellian. Peace is war and love is hate, etc. This PC BS has got to stop. Where's Patty Smith when we need her?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davestellaSD. Show davestellaSD's posts

Jan 18, 2008New York CityMetropolitan Museum of Art
    Poems and Songs for the Young at Heart

PattiSmith and friends will perform works of Hans Christian Andersen,William Blake, Lewis Carroll, A. A. Milne, Rudyard Kipling, and RobertLouis Stevenson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davestellaSD. Show davestellaSD's posts

That's pretty much the way it is. Short of shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater, most speech is protected under the 1st ammendment to the Constitution. Like it or not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbostonian. Show trbostonian's posts

Black culture has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous in less than three decades. When I think of the great black literary and political lights of the past, I am astounded. James Baldwin, Martin Luther King, Richard Wright...even going further back to DuBois and Booker T. Washington. The Harlem Renaissance, Garveyites, the early NAACP. There was so much hope...and sophistication. These people paved the way for all these morons that dominate popular black culture today. No matter how hard the hiphop crowd tries to make its claim that they are valid artists, they produce garbage, negitivity and perpetuate the violent sewer of the inner-city ghetto mind-set.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davestellaSD. Show davestellaSD's posts

Yes, I have all those freedoms, and more. I choose not to avail myself of all of them at this time. I reserve the right to excerise any of my freedoms when I chosse to do so.

I was a 34 year addict who smoked two packs a day. I made the decision to stop and I put in the effort to make sure that I did. The key word here is "I"

I'll enjoy my freedoms, and my day. Don't presume to lecture me

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky. Show sparky's posts

You say something often enough, eventually it comes true. If you keep saying and thinking that you're on a "plantation," then that's exactly where you'll end up. Changing one's mindset is half the battle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheaper. Show cheaper's posts

Do you guys post these questions expecting serious answers and not some tirade from someone who thinks they know the black experience from seeing a few videos and watching the news at 11PM?

Sections
Shortcuts