Cutting back expenses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donaldaucoin. Show donaldaucoin's posts

Cutting back expenses

As the recession tightens its grip, I've been hearing about people cutting back on household expenditures: ending their house-cleaning service,�going out to dinner less frequently,�bringing lunch to work rather than buying lunch at the company cafeteria,�eliminating their driveway-plowing service, and so on. �Has anyone out there taken similar steps to save money because of the faltering economy and uncertainty about the security of your job, or just to be on the safe side?�

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from massfan. Show massfan's posts

Cutting back expenses

I've always been looking for ways to cut expenses... Not just due to the economy.1)� My husband and I bring our lunch to work every day.� That probably saves us $50+ a week.2) I clip coupons.� I have a subscription to the Sunday Globe.� On average, I save $10 a week�with coupons.� There have been some weeks where I've saved as much as $30!� I clip coupons for things I already use.3) We are not coffee drinkers, but I'd think skipping the daily Dunkin Donuts run would save a person at least $10 a week.�

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from columbine. Show columbine's posts

Cutting back expenses

Buy CDs used online.

Check Freecyle and Craigslist for stuff you actually need.

When possible, trade (including services, e.g. tutoring for babysitting)

Consolidate all your debts into one low-interest loan, and then only use your credit card as much as you can pay off each month.

Cook in quantity, and freeze in portions.

Read the ingredients in your over-the-counter medicines, and buy the chemically identical "Compare To" brand next to it on the shelf.

Turn down the heat - wear a hat and neck scarf.

Raise your satisfaction level - find something participatory that's fun to do.� Shut off the TV and refinish an old chair, learn to brew beer, start a garden, enjoy a book.� You may not save money, but you'll get more out of your days and not be so frustrated by not being able to spend!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billywalsh. Show billywalsh's posts

Cutting back expenses

I like your list.....with one execption, number 4.� Know anyone that wants to buy my condo in this economy?551 sqft, quiet, top floor (3rd) one bedroomnew kitchen, new carpet, new paint!Ample parkingGreat location to Pike, 128, 3 blocks to the commuter rail.Convenient to shops and stores in the area.�

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from merilisa. Show merilisa's posts

Cutting back expenses

We are making a lot of personal changes in our spending, butit isn't just the economy that is prompting them.� Some of the changes inour lifestyle are motivated by other influences, with the economy being oursecond, "other" reason that has pushed our decisions over theedge.� We are eating out less for the sake of our health, my husband quitcoffee and soda, but that is mostly for the sake of his dental work, and we arecanceling some entertainment expenses because we feel like we don't use themenough.�

We work in the automotive sector and I think the truth is that we have alreadybeen in a recession for six months or more.� People who would normally fixeverything that is wrong on their car have been fixing only enough to "getby" and some aren't even fixing really critical safety issues, running onbald tires and putting off replacing squealing brakes.� I shudder to thinkof what will happen on the road when something goes wrong.� Some peopleare pennywise and pound foolish, not fixing a small problem that will likelylead to an accident and therefore bigger bills, a large deductible andinsurance rates, and probably injury to themselves or others.

One thing I have noticed for sure is that even the people who are doing wellare being really tight about their money.� Recession isn't just about whocan't afford what.� Frequently it is about people too scared to spendmoney that they DO have.� I can't say that I blame them, but it does bringout questions about how much of a recession is an organic economic crisis andhow much is caused by the psychological paralysis that comes along with it.

On the other hand, I am getting the impression that we are slowly coming out ofthe recession.� I think a little bit of a financial scare, for those of uswho didn't lose big during this time, is a decent wake-up call as a reminderthat credit DOES have to be paid back and that there are a lot of expenses thatwe don't think too much about that really are financial drains and can beeliminated.

Despite the "spend, spend, spend" attitude that persists in thiscountry, brought about by advertisements and a general attitude that the moreconsuming is better, I think a more stable economy would involve everyonespending what they can afford and racking up some savings and sensibleinvestments.�� We have a huge economy in this country.� What weneed now is a more stable economy, which is never going to come about if peopleare getting wildly in debt to buy things they cannot afford.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from merilisa. Show merilisa's posts

Cutting back expenses

I like your list...have you checked out paperbackswap.com for trading books (not just paperbacks.)� I joined just recently but I absolutely love them, and it is enabling me to get some very current books, as well as some books I wouldn't have paid full price for but really wanted to read.�

We are total book junkies in my family, so this is really a big find for us!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from columbine. Show columbine's posts

Cutting back expenses

Wow!� No, I hadn't heard of paperbackswap.com.� I'm a bookaholic too - that'll be a great resource.� Thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Cutting back expenses

we've�cut back on expenditures big time due to the economy, but we started to do the cut back thing years ago.� we took one�car off the road and use the T (or walk) whenever possible.� we fill up the tank once a month.� when we go shopping, we buy enough for 6-8 weeks, so we're not guzzling gas.� �we look for sales, buy generic/no name brands�whenever possible, bring our own cloth tote bags and scan the newspapers and internet for manufacturer coupons.� �we also take one day a week to do our errands, and wait�until we have a full laundry bag before we bring our dry cleaning to the cleaner.we buy and make our own coffee as opposed to going to dunkies or starbucks, bring our own lunch to work, and the only time we�"go out to eat" is utilizing the dollar menu @ McDonalds once, maybe�twice a month (even then its "take out").� �never had the luxury of a house cleaning or driveway plowing service...���

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Cutting back expenses

The biggest changes we've made are:1.� Bring lunch to work every day.� Nothing from vending machines.� Thankfully, my office has free coffee, or I'd be bringing a thermos.2.� We keep the thermostat at home at 60 all the time.� It's fine if you wear a sweatshirt.� 3.� I drive the 10+ miles to shop at Market Basket instead of Shaws or Stop and Shop.�� I swear I'm saving 50% over what I used to spend.�� It's well worth it.4.� I drive slower.� Not 55, perhaps, but not 75 either.I took a 2nd job at a store to help cover the cost of our oil bills.� Let me tell you, when you are earning $8.50 per hour and work hard at it, you really hesitate to spend $10 on some frivolity.�� That's been the best part.� �

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from massfan. Show massfan's posts

Cutting back expenses

I'm with you billy.walsh!I've had my condo on the market for over a year and no reasonable offers yet.� I just got married this fall and my hhusband and I would like to move into a small house with a yard.� Looks like we better get used to condo living for a while.� The economy and the real estate market isn't getting any better.My real estate agent keeps saying "drop the price", but I've done my homework and our price is in line with the other 20 condos on the market�in our town.� I'm not going to sacrifice�our�financial situation (which is good) just to sell.� I'd rather stay put where I am and continue to live a comfortable life.The good news is, once we get an offer, we can take advantage of the market and get a small home at a�reasonable price.�Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Cutting back expenses

when�we�cut out Dunkies, it saved�us roughly $100. to $120.�a week.�� (a cup of their coffee is $2., plus�breakfast sandwich...add another $4. times 2 people.)they've been very, very cheap w/the coupons over the past couple of years.� remembers when they used to have a coupon calendar...and the coupons on the calendar were good.� i also don't know what has happened to their bagged pounds of coffee, either.� its not as good, or as fresh�as it used to be.� remembers when they used to grind it and bag it for you while you waited...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Cutting back expenses

i would agree w/you on Market Basket.� Their prices are great, only thing that s**ks about the one in Somerville is its way too small,�there is sawdust all over the floor, and you can't get near the parking lot if you're life depended on it right before�any holiday!!��� there's also been some major construction around the somerville market basket for almost a year now, and sometimes the construction makes it difficult to get into and out of the store.� �one q for you Cosmo, do you save enough money to cover the gas for you to get too & from market basket?�

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Cutting back expenses

The Market Basket�in Burlington is equally horrendous.� It's so small that two carts can't pass each other in the aisles without one making an effort to pull to the side.� And it's at the junction of 128, Route 3, and the Middlesex Turnpike.� It's fine if you go first thing in the a.m. or just before it closes.If we need a mega-trip, I'll drive up to the one in Billerica....it's new and huge.� Even driving up there (about 15 miles), it definitely saves me a huge amount of money.� I just got what I hope to god is our last oil delivery of the season -- at 3.699!� �

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Cutting back expenses

have you checked out the gas prices???� we'll be driving even less now.� DH filled up the tank at the local hess @ 9:30 yesterday morning...the price was $3.09 a gallon.� by 5pm when we went to do some grocery shopping, it was $3.11 a gallon @ the same station..time to dig out the wheeled shopping cart (we call it an "old ladies cart") and walk to our errands...�we're finding��the car to be a luxury, not a necessity at these�prices!!!�while my cat sleeps like a baby...on our bed...without a care in the world!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Cutting back expenses

the waiting in line for 45 minutes at the Market Basket in Somerville has increased to 1 hour, and all registers are open all the time.�� once in a very blue moon it may be quite, but not very often.� are you thinking of the Shaw's on Beacon Street, near Porter Square?� Porter has changed a tad..they do have a new "mall type" building that has a CVS and a bunch of restaurants.��I've never been to that Shaw's�or the Johnnie's Foodmaster�a couple of blocks down beacon...if i don't go to MB, I usually go to the Super Stop�& Shop�on McGrath Hwy (open about 3 years now) or the Shaws in Twin City Plaza (renovated a couple of years back)���

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Cutting back expenses

There are many ways to cut expenses.The many men and women who have gone through divorce probably have the best handle on this topic. It might help to check with these friends and neighbors and watch what they are doing.
    The second source of good advice should come from your relatives who have not achieved their financial goals. Your parents,your brothers and sisters,cousins,aunts,and uncles have a vast fund of information about cheapness and will be eager to tell you what to do rather than loan your money.
    Lastly, your spouse and you should write down what you are spending and keep a log.After all people can count calories,why not expenses. It's amazing how this brings into focus the reasons for your problem. It also gives you hope of controlling the downward spiral.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlkrgr. Show mlkrgr's posts

Cutting back expenses

What I've been doing is definitely peering through the newspapers more closely for coupons and definitely scanning my card every time I go into CVS through the price scanner to get coupons.

My take today is that I made $4 in extrabucks so I came out with $4 more than what I had and spent $.61 out of my pocket on 2 Neutrogena Soap Bars at $2.99 a piece, 2 Gillette Shampoos at $4.99 a piece, 2 Head and Shoulder shampoos at $4.99 a piece, and 2 herbal essences shampoos at $2.99 a piece. Plus 1 candy bar from the checkout at $.67. No kidding.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

Cutting back expenses

I've been trying to cut down on expenses for a lot of things - but I've found negotiation also works to save some cash, and you still get to keep some things!

I still have a cleaning service, but I've negotiated a better price with another cleaner - some folks are happy for the work, rather than having none. We've saved $100 a month.

I called the cable company and asked them to give me a better deal. I've saved $50 per month just by making a call.

I call my credit card companies and negotiate a better rate. That works more than you think - tell them that you've got a better rate someplace else, and that you'll transfer your balance over. That works.

I don't eat out as much, (I used to go out a few times a week, dropping 40 - 80 each time) I cook at home, most of the time so its better for us, and better for our wallets! When we do eat out, we'll treat ourselves. Its quality over quantity at that point.

I don't buy coffee out. ever. (well, very rarely!) I make it at home --and if you must carry a cup around, go to a paper supply store and stock up on cups and lids, or better, get a travel mug.

Friends and I will go to Costco or BJs, buy in bulk and split it all up. many of us are singles or couples, so a giant box of whatever can be split amongst a few people, and the shopping is cheaper, and the stuff doesn't go to waste.

A couple of times a year, I declutter - I sell what I can on Craigslist or Ebay, and donate everything else to a local charity. the money I make from selling, I put into an interest bearing savings account.

I put all my change in a jar, and when the jar gets full, I go to the coinstar and either donate the $ or use it for gift cards - you won't get charged the counting fees if you do this.

I've cut out my pedicures in the winter - no one sees my feet anyway! I do it myself and save a couple of hundred dollars a month!

Sections
Shortcuts