Favorite things about Boston in winter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What are your favorite things about Boston in the winter? Share your favorites with us!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostoncommon. Show bostoncommon's posts

Boston's beautiful in any season, but especially during winter. I much prefer snow to rain. And a sunny 25 degree day is so much better than 95 degrees of heat and humidity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teri216. Show Teri216's posts

That spring will arrive at some point

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobW19551962. Show BobW19551962's posts

7 weeks to spring...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scotty Boston. Show Scotty Boston's posts

Winter is fine -- until February - then I start to resent it. New England is a great place to be the rest of the year - change of seasons, etc. I've always said that I loved NE except for the first three months of the year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marzxyz. Show marzxyz's posts

Winter in Boston sucks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

Although last summer wasn't too bad, I can't stand hot weather. Like a previous poster, I'll take a sunny 20-degree day over a sticky 90-degree day. Winter also means its hockey season, and my favorite activity in Boston is going to college games on Friday and Saturday nights, usually at BU, but NU is a great place to go as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cdogg. Show cdogg's posts

I would've thought that the Frog Pond would've been included!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Denisohainle. Show Denisohainle's posts

I do not mind winter. I have two brothers who moved away (CA and FL) because they hated the cold and snow. Winter is a time that I take a break from gardening and yard work. I need the change of seasons. I was born in New England and have always lived here and will die here. This is my home and I take the good with the bad and don't complain.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrScrappy77. Show MrScrappy77's posts

I love Boston in the winter. I love the Bus Stops that are not cleared, forcing people to stand in the street waiting for the bus. That's always a safe bet.

I love the little side streets that never get plowed out, and have 5 inch sheets of ice and snow still covering the ground, 10 days after the last snow fall.

I love the supermarkets getting jam packed before a snowfall, because we all know people will starve if they are forced to stay home for the day. Everyone seems to buy eggs, milk, and bread. Apparently, snow = french toast.

I love the idiots who put chairs, and crap over they shoveled out parking spaces....

I especially the lazy people who drive down 128 with a 4 inch sheet of ice and snow on the roof of their car, and having flying chunks of ice come at me while I am driving 60 mph.

I love the news stations making every 2 inch snowfall seem like the plotline of "Day After Tommorrow" (cheesy movie, but quite enjoyable, if I say so myself).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I love the cold and snow! Bring it on! Boston in winter is the best. I don't have to drive anywhere, and because I live in an apartment building, I don't have to do any shoveling whatsoever. Boston is so beautiful and quiet on snowy nights!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ironhorse4. Show ironhorse4's posts

Your next article on today's Boston.com sums it up perfectly;

Uncleared sidewalks
    imperil pedestrians

When sidewalks force pedestrians onto the roads, the consequences can be deadly. (Boston Globe)

HATE IT ! HATE IT ! HATE IT!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andreasm. Show andreasm's posts

I love the winter. It's so much easier to get warm when it's cold, than to cool off when it's 90 degrees with high humidity. And there is nothing quite so beautiful as a cold, sunny day in January, briskly walking down Charles Street and through the Boston Common. It just doesn't get any better or any prettier than that. Unless, of course, one is walking through the woods in Maine with not a sound except for a distant snowmobile (which I could do without, I might add). No mosquitoes, no humidity. I love the winter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bto. Show bto's posts

I have had enough of winter. ROBOTS!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidDavidDavid. Show DavidDavidDavid's posts

I hate Boston in general. If not for the terrible economy, I'd be gone already. The people are as cold as the winters here. :-P

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthlessreader. Show ruthlessreader's posts

I've actually come to appreciate winter, if not quite love it. The key for me was not trying to do so much, stop pretending everything is the same. I don't shovel snow anymore if I don't want to, I'll pay someone to do it. I finally have a garage, which makes winter a lot more tolerable. Instead of struggling to get out, I hunker down, technology means I can often work from home. On weekends, i stay indoors and do the things I never had time to do - try out new recipes, paint, rearrange the closets, SLEEP, plan my garden for the spring, read, etc. It's my version of hibernation. The other key to enjoying winter is being fully prepared - have the right clothes to keep you warm and dry (now is not the time to be a fashionista), have the shovels, scrapers and salts you need, have a pantry full of your favorite foods, and a TiVo full of your favorite shows. Winter's a lot more fun when you can take it on your terms.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonmrenda. Show jasonmrenda's posts

what do i like about winter? june, july, and august

as someone above mentioned, winter for some is a time of hibernation. i am much more a warm weather person than a cold. i don't begrudge anyone for liking the winter, just not my favorite. have lived in florida and cali and miss those places every day of the winter. fall in boston is amazing. but i'll trade a boring fall if i can get rid of 45 jackets, mismatched gloves, wool hats, and 76 shovels. one day, one day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from funnywheels. Show funnywheels's posts

My favorite thing is the crazy yankees who wear shorts and insist that the winter is delightful.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expatfan. Show expatfan's posts

I hope i snows twice a week until May! I plow for a living and making good $. Tough economy with this snow, i don't think so. All those people in FLA are losing their homes and their cushy lifestyles that they thought would never end. Welcome reality. If you decide that times are getting rough done there come back to good old Boston. I'll give you a special discounted rate on snow removal :)

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dukeblue33. Show dukeblue33's posts

Come on folks. We live in New England. It's supposed to be cold and snowy. If you have the proper outdoor gear, it's fun!

I love walking in the Arboretum - especially the area with the tall conifers. I love snowshoeing around the Weston Reservoir or through Callahan State Park. I love sledding down Peter's Hill. I love EVERY minute of it.

What I don't love? Windchill.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I like winter in Boston. After it snows, there is a sense of peace and tranquility. 3am, fresh snow and a full moon - beautiful.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[Quote]I hate Boston in general. If not for the terrible economy, I'd be gone already. The people are as cold as the winters here. :-P[/Quote]

Yeah, I'm sure it's the people that are the problem.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salspals. Show Salspals's posts

I wouldn't mind winter so much if it were only say 4 months but when its 40 in April then I have a problem. I will be hopefully be moving when the economy, job and housing makret begins to turn around. So basically I'm stuck here for another 2 years at least.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HubbDave. Show HubbDave's posts

Winter out here in the sticks is great (Hubbardston, MA). We know how to clear our way out (our local highway dept does a great job, as does the Mass highway on Rte 2). We snowblow/shovel our own walkways and driveways. The snow is beautiful (I can see Mt. Monadnock and Mt. Wachusett from my street). Love to see my kids and dog play in the snow, love looking for deer/rabbit/fox/moose! tracks, etc. Even the ice storm was beautiful to look at for a little while...
    Not a big fan of -15 F, but those days are rare. It is mostly ok to go outside. No bugs! No humidity!

Relish it! We only have x number of days above the ground! Looking forward to Wednesday...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4prez. Show orr4prez's posts

For those who complain about the cold, snow, sleet, ice blah blah blah: I'm sure there is a plane leaving Logan right now heading for Florida within the next hour. Here's a hint; get on it and stop complaining. It's New England and it's January. Pipe down up and deal with it!!

Sections
Shortcuts