Favorite things about Boston in winter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OxfordProle. Show OxfordProle's posts

I love winter in New England and am quite sad I don't get to experience it anymore. I just wrote a blog post about it in fact.

Shameless plus:
    http://weeklyshocks.wordpress.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedSnapper. Show TheRedSnapper's posts

I can't stand the winters in Boston. Staying couped up inside for months at a time is not my idea of 'love'. Crusty snow turning black, falling down on sheets of ice on driveways and sidewalks, trying to find a clear spot of snow to put my garbage cans and recycle bins for pickup, cars taking 15 minutes just to blow hot air, cold hardwood floors, standing on an MBTA platform waiting for a late train in January, racoons trying to tear into your roof....YOU CAN KEEP IT. Each passing year I dream of the day I buy a seasonal home down south.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghkatz. Show ghkatz's posts

Its the time of the year for the annual Joe Val Bluegrass Music Festival. The perfect antidote for winter blues and cabin fever. Three big days of music in the comfortable confines of the Sheraton Framingham. Two stages, over 50 workshops, kids education programs. No humidity, bugs or sunscreen needed. www.bbu.org
    I can't wait for it to get here. And once it's finished, Spring is just around the bend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from baroque. Show baroque's posts

Didn't you ever hear the saying, "we've got 5 months of winter and 7 months of poor sledding"?

To the folks moaning about winter: if you get off your duff long enough to take up cross-country skiing or snowshoeing, for example, snow can be a lot of fun. It's not just about shoveling your car out. Go to a hockey game. Ice skate. There's lots to do in winter. Take up photography if you can't do anything else. Stop whining all the time. Do something positive once in awhile, or move so all of us will be happier ;- />

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I too enjoy many of the things the winter lovers celebrate, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing and wearing out a welcome. Winter in Boston, just as it is would be fine, even wonderful, if it was anywhere near a reasonable length. Just as I could not stand South Florida's 8 month summers, I detest Boston's climate of "Winter...and 3 days in August".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

The only time I see my neighbors is when we all go out and shovel after a snowfall. We bond in the shared misery. That is kind of nice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expatfan. Show expatfan's posts

Let is snow to bring in the dough. Bad economy, i think not :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

[Quote][To easydoesit2
    What do you mean about 3 days in August.
    I live in VT and it gets too hot here. I want to move to a place that
    never gets into the 80's or 90's.
    Are you telling me that Boston Summer is very short because if it is
    that Is where I belong.

thanks
    I have SAD but for Summer not winter.
    Sue Real[/Quote] I exagerated. If VT is too hot for you, Boston won't do it for you. I would suggest moving due east: the Maine coast would, I think, be to your liking... and 2 hours on the Downeaster train will put you in downtown Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kamekurakk. Show kamekurakk's posts

I went to Boston two years ago for the first time in June.
    I like Boston And I would like to go to Boston, especially in winter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from princessruger1. Show princessruger1's posts

I love Boston and all four seasons - Spring, Summer, Fall, and WINTER! Winter definitely has it's beauty, and there are lots of things to do if you put your mind to it.....skiing, skating, snowmobiling...and walks on the beach in the winter are beautiful. Yes, sometimes it's a little too cold, and sometimes it's cold & rainy & just all around sucky....but wait a day or two, it'll change.

That's whats so great about Boston and New England weather - it's always changing!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SweetScarlette. Show SweetScarlette's posts

The BSO is a wonderful part of winter here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from billski. Show billski's posts

I love
    Snow
    shoveling
    skiing
    sledding
    ice skating
    hockey
    snow shoe-ing
    back country skiing
    toboggans
    ice sculpting
    snow sculpting
    ice fishing
    snow tubing
    sleepless nights waiting for the next day's snowfall
    polishing my winter driving skills
    waxing my skis
    shoveling the walk
    fresh air
    quiet and stillness
    deer foraging through the forests
    dogsledding

and yes, I've done them all and continue. Skiing yesterday, playing hooky tommorrow for another powder day.

people who whine about how
    people who whine about how cold it is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billski. Show billski's posts

I love
    Snow
    shoveling
    skiing
    sledding
    ice skating
    hockey
    snow shoe-ing
    back country skiing
    toboggans
    ice sculpting
    snow sculpting
    ice fishing
    snow tubing
    sleepless nights waiting for the next day's snowfall
    polishing my winter driving skills
    waxing my skis
    shoveling the walk
    fresh air
    quiet and stillness
    deer foraging through the forests
    dogsledding

and yes, I've done them all and continue. Skiing yesterday, playing hooky tommorrow for another powder day.

people who whine about how
    people who whine about how cold it is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarvardMuseumofNaturalHistory. Show HarvardMuseumofNaturalHistory's posts

Winter favorites: Ice skating at the Charles Hotel, the cozy fire at Upstairs on the Square for the kids' Zebra Tea, and when you really need a reminder of summer, walk through the 'garden' of 3,000 Glass Flowers on display at the Harvard Museum of Natural History.

Sections
Shortcuts