Is this the dumbest generation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCLifestyleStaff. Show BDCLifestyleStaff's posts

Do you buy Mark Bauerlein's argument that this is the dumbest generation? Why or why not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cccox. Show cccox's posts

If, like me, you are over 40, you should be glad the next generation is bad at math.� Their innumeracy means they will keep paying into Social Security and we might actually get some of that gravy before the Ponzi scheme collapses.� Kleptodemocracy works best when the sheep can't add.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgerv. Show cgerv's posts

I don't know why it is ok to steroetype people based on age.

I also like how companies that provide jobs and a forum for old peole like the author are created and run by "dumb" young people; google, facebook, etc

I hope young people band together and fire all of the old people and vote out their social security

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aylwards. Show aylwards's posts

This is an embarassing, reductionist, cliche-ridden perspective.� Young people today are just as intelligent, thoughtful and incisive as previous generations.� Young people express these talents in different ways and through different media.� I am embarassed for Boston.com� that it saw fit to give exposure to that author's viewpoint.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from job4338. Show job4338's posts

I find this article extremely offensive. If anything, this generation is a product of its environment. If anything, the generation that has preceded us, has failed us. Who allows us to spend so much time on the internet, who allows us to buy these offensive computer games. We may not read as many books anymore, but the depth of knowledge provided to us by the internet has far surpassed anything ever provided in a book.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrroopp. Show rrroopp's posts

I would like to know, where he is obtaining the information about this; his arguments can be about just every generation by the previous generation.1.� "Jaywalking" - What is this based upon?� I gues b/c boston.com just targeted one sentence, it make the author look really judgmental.� I am sure this was said about generation X, hippies, greasers, etc.2.� Reading - Again, what is this based on?� My nieces and nephews are all under 16 and are reading fiends.� You can always find a segment of a generation that does not want/like to read.� I am sure if I survey a certain age group of say, over 45, I could find a large segment who does not like to read.� I am sure James Dean's character in Rebel Without A Cause struck a chord with the youth of that time for his love of books.3.� Cannot spell - Again, this is a leap in logic...he knows text shorthand, he knows the kids like texting, ergo, they all write like this.� Actually, it is more of a new language which, as of this time is called Elite Speak.� If he is a student of the written word, he will see that what we consider to be proper English has evolved from what is was 200 years ago.� 4.� Ridiculed for original thought - My word, did this guy EVER go to high school?� In what mythical generation were the creative and smart not made into outcasts?� Seriously.� This does not even really merit any more discussion.5.� GTA IV - So, GTA is the cause of public shools in Mass producing poor students?� Huh.� I have been an active gamer since maybe 1982.� Gaming has been around a long, long time.� To blame this now is again a poor choice.� He also noted that the sales dollars dwarf those of movies and books...SIr what movies do you go to that cost $59.99.� That is even more than books.� Also look at the relative flood of the respective media on the market.� Every week, hundreds if not thousands of books are published, the vast majority of which are nothing more than tree-killers.� Even with movies, there are several released every week.� GTA and Halo are exceptions.� People wait 2-3 years for these.� There is no competition for the consumer dollar as opposed to the hundreds of awful books that came out this week which will split the revenues.6.� They don't store information - I am not even sure about what this argument is proving.� Students today do not memorize facts?� Stop the presses.� Gee, maybe as an educator you could do something such as teaching critical thinking and how to learn rather than memorization.� I remember in English way, way back we were graded on a memorized piece of Romeo and Juliet.� To my shock and dismay, I fear I am not alone in that many people, while in high school had to memorize lines of Shakespear.� What did this prove about intelligence?� NOTHING.� Did we learn to appreciate it, to devine any deeper meaning or apply it to our lives?� No.� Just to prove who is best at memorizing.� Good job teachers.� Maybe, now that memorization seems rather stupid (well, it was always pretty silly), you can concentrate on teaching students math, science and critical thought....logic even.7.� Teachers don't tell them - I would have to say (1) this is the teacher's fault and (2) that it is most likely caused by a lousy parent.� You think the kids are coddled and dumb, look in the mirror, not at the Wii for a cause.8.� They are young - Is this his cop-out?� It is true.� Youth either thinks it knows everything or believes that it knows all it will need to know.� ALL are guilty of this at one time.Maybe I am being too harsh without reading the book which I know is a sin but based upon the way this slide-show was set up on boston.com, I bought their 'troll' article hook, line and sinker.� If I have offended, please forgive but just do me one favor and DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK!!!!� Get it from the library, then it will be free.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmdrflk. Show cmdrflk's posts

OK, when�I was, say 25, (which was a hellaciously long time ago) people 50 years old thought MY generation was so (*******) stupid, that they wanted to (****) us every chance they had to do so. And they did it! They had me prove to the draft board that I was unfit for service TWICE! (The test was a check of the prescription on my glasses) Those over 50 always have and�always have HATED people under 30, and have had thinly (not always)�veiled contempt for them. After all now my dad still thinks that I am stupid. He is 83, I am 56 to be fair and he�STILL distrusts my judgement. That is never going to change.�Get over it, kids!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibba444. Show gibba444's posts

I'm in my late 30's, and most of the kids from my generation couldn't make change� when they were teenagers either.I employ a bunch of high school kids now, and the thing that bugs me more than the fact that they can't make change is...� I noticed that they are always looking at their cell phones. I thought that they were checking to see if they had messages, until I asked one of them. And I was told that she couldn't tell the time on the regular clock and needed to check her digital clock on her phone to see what time it was. (Ah, technology....)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtsnowboarder79. Show vtsnowboarder79's posts

I completely buy it--and I qualify that by disclosing my ethos as a 28 year old male who teeters on the fringes of both generations X and Y.��

Us few and�proud�babies of 1979 were among the last to have experience operating a record player (the plastic Fisher Price kind, still popular in the early 80s) and searching the library using (God forbid) a card catalog.� Sometime during late middle school / early high school (depending on the amount of funding available to our local school districts) we entered the digital age for the remainder of our academic quests.�

In many ways my lifestyle is now indistinguishable from those several years my junior; for instance I maintain a Facebook profile, communicate via email and instant messenger more often than telephone, edit and read Wikipedia, and get the majority of my news via online sources.�

When it comes to my outlook on life however, I am a clear member of the old school (which I feel largely has to do with my upbringing and experiences).� I'd say for those of us�currently in their late 20s, in whole or part, we fall under Bauerlein's assessment 50% of the time.� For those younger than 24, his arguments apply far more often than not.

I currently supervise the student loan department at the -->University--> of -->California--> - -->-->Los Angeles-->--> (UCLA).� The reputation of UCLA is top notch, with the median high school GPA of its accepted students coming in�over 4.3.� We are said to have the cr�me of the crop.� Sadly, I'm finding the cr�me to be a thick one...in the not-so-good sense of the metaphor.�

It's not that the generation Bauerlein picks on is unintelligent, it's just that seemingly most of them have been overly coddled in their upbringing, resulting�in their often warped sense of reality.� I find that many of my students, despite their extensive blogging, cell phone chatting, and instant messaging, are ironically poor communicators.� They tend to have great difficulty communicating even simple points, and even more often have no idea how to advocate for themselves.�

My assessment is that most all the problems that have contributed to Bauerlein's arguments can be traced to two root causes:

1) "Helicopter Parenting"� that is when parents who wish to provide the best childhood experiences for their children by overly involving themselves in every aspect and decision in their child's life to avoid the mistakes they themselves made during youth, ironically do their children a gross disservice by rendering their children unable to independently make decisions.�

2) Lack of discipline and focus.� In observing most students these days, I'm quite amazed at their multitasking abilities.� It's not uncommon to see a student typing on a laptop while listening to music on an iPhone, taking incoming calls on that iPhone while simultaneously highlighting passages in a textbook and typing a paper while instant messaging, blogging, AND downloading new digital music.� While it may seem admirable it makes my head spin!� In truth, all the task switching dissolves focus and instead of doing an excellent job at each task, said student is completing several with mediocrity--and it seems that this "versatility" is both regarded and rewarded by adults.��It's easy to be frustrated with�today's youth, but remember just like us, they didn't start the fire.� The issue can be easily corrected by expecting more of them.� I have had several of my student workers confront me with hurt feelings because of my enforcing VERY BASIC work rules...let me underline the word basic.� To those students I explain the reality of the situation, and give them a choice.� By not rewarding bad behavior I'm both ridding myself of insubordinate workers, and teaching a valuable lesson to those who've decided to move on.� If there's one good thing that can come of the weakening job market, it's a reality check for today's youth.�

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ellerbeck. Show ellerbeck's posts

Argument is littered with glittering generalities, but no specifics.� One could create the same type of argument--inflammatory and prejudicial--and aim at "those out-of-touch college professors in their ivory towers."�� Again, familiar stereotype trotted out for skewering without any comprehensive evidence to validate.� I write as one well beyond the "wired generation."� Setting up straw figures to knock down may be rhetorically amusing, but it shouldn't be confused with a far more complex reality.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dudenski. Show dudenski's posts

Denehy1 wrote:

"The young people of today only consume the� ideas and products PUSHEDupon them by YOUR generation. You old bastards are a huge reason forthe supposed dumming down of americans. Look in the mirror first beforeyou complain".

First of all, denehy1, there is an extra space after the eighth word, "the," inthe first sentence. In the second sentence, "Americans," should becapitalized.

Just kidding....Anyhow, I work with young people (and have been foryears) and I love young people's energy and ideas but there is sometruth to the things that Mr. Bauerlein has pointed out. It would takeme forever to elaborate.

One of the things that the youth I work with are assigned to do isjournal. I remind them that we do from time to time read them, so theyshould be writing in their best penmanship, using dictionaries, etc. Ifeel ashamed for them because not only are there mispellings, butthey're writing as if it's some sort of text message from theirsidekicks!

-Dude

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtsnowboarder79. Show vtsnowboarder79's posts

Cactus555

Working as a staff member at UCLA, I agree with your assessment.� This "holy grail" is often a huge dissappointment.� Pushed by their parents to "just get good grades and you'll make lots of money and have a great life" these students pursue a means not to an end but to a means to make copious amounts of money to support a bloated lifestyle they'll be working too many hours to enjoy.� It's a sick and sad cycle...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from keblensis. Show keblensis's posts

Folks under 30 are the ballsiest folks out there. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are largely being fought by people under 30. The humanitarian efforts to save the citizens in Darfur and Tibet are largely being undertaken by people under 30. And it's people under 30 who have lead some of the greatest technological advances of the modern world. Google was founded by Sergey Brin and Larry Page at the age of 25. Casey Mongoven (born 1979) is an accomplished composer and musicologist who runs one of the largest composer websites on the internet. And two Seattle-based gamers and cartoonists (Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik) at the ages of 27 and 26, respectively, launched one of the most successful grassroots charity campaigns to bring toys and videogames to sick children in hospitals around the world. Too much online stuff? One of the deputy editors of The New Republic is a classmate of mine - he's 29. One of my best friends from graduate school is teaching Law at Oxford, at the tender age of 26. We're young and we're here to kick ####.

To be fair, I used to be with Mr. Bauerlein on regarding new forms of intelligence a trick: moving the goalposts so that newer generations could declare victory in 'new' intelligences while ignoring the classical measure of arithmetic or writing a three-paragraph essay. When I was a middle school teacher, I would scoff at such ideas, thinking that if I wasn't testing for them, why should I recognize them? But that changed. When I learned how little the parents of my students expected of them, I was hardly shocked that my students didn't feel like reading when they got home. One parent told me not to worry teaching his son in class because he would just pull some strings at the local state school to get him in. Dad showed even less intellectual curiosity than son. It's not about dumb and smart, ultimately, it's about adaptation.

My mother can't operate the TI-85 graphing calculator I got for my 9th-grade algebra class in 1993. I can't operate the slide-rule rule she used to get her PhD in Engineering. Which one of us is objectively "smarter" or "dumber"? I use speed dial for my phone numbers. She keeps a rolodex. Again, which one of us is objectively "smarter" or "dumber"? My mother trounces me at scrabble but can't do a crossword. I can pull the NYTimes Sundays down, but can't keep up with her in Sudoku. Dumb little me?

dparsons0618 has it right - Generations never think that the generation following it is quite up to scratch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from execdir. Show execdir's posts

I have witnessed both teachers and parents who lack an understanding of the basic rules of grammar.� How can we expect kids to speak or write properly when teachers are saying things like "Him and me" and parents can't tell the deifference between "your" and "you're"?� I'd guess that three generations from now, there will be a very, very small population of truly educated people in our society.� Them and me will be the only ones able to read you're newspaper, which will only be available on-line.�

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from madams425. Show madams425's posts

"I'd like to take this opportunity to shout out the Baby Boomers, for bankrupting our nation, dominating media and culture with their nostalgic self-congratulation, and laying the groundwork for a very bleak epoch in U.S. foreign relations"Not original either, every "younger generation" calls out the prior one like this at some point. We did it in the 80s and your kids will do it the 2020s.�

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnfromseekonk. Show johnfromseekonk's posts

Dumming?

You're joking, right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from serenity1212123. Show serenity1212123's posts

What's tragic about this is what a rehash it is. Those darn kids with their ignorant ways, and weird new technology (or whatever is new.) The older generation always seems to do this, whether it's the WW2 generation about the boomers, or whatever... to the point that you'd think the older generation, that was younger once, would know better.Why do they do this? Isn't it that feeling of being closed out from them, but having to deal with them anyway? That the young�are all potential, and no proof, so we have to reckon with what they might achieve, while�bearing the weight of�the actual evidence in our own lives?� Is it the lost glamour of youth, or anyway the cultural preoccupation with it?Getting older is so strange (I'm in my early 30s.) You learn so much, and wind up calmer, but you get stuck in the same old roles that your parents had--can't we change some of those? Or is that just for the young?I wonder what would happen if people got better looking as they got older, peaking at whatever age you last to. I kind of think Mark Bauerlein would never have written this if as the years passed he got less bald, and thinner. You could be like, oh, I'm old, I'm tired, worn down, and sexy! Well, grampa, you've earned it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcoyne06. Show mcoyne06's posts

...most of the generation under 25 are more concerned with efficient ways of doing things - not getting hung up in red tape over gramatical errors. This generation can do seventeen things at once and the person who wrote this article most likely is bitter because he watches his 10 year old text message, watch tv, and do her homework simultaneously. Pathetic article, especially after you ran the "narciscistic generation" article 6 months ago.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from satnavsys. Show satnavsys's posts

English teachers and professors tend to cling to the past, and see a lot of changes as 'flaws' rather than appreciate them as a form of evolution.

For spelling and grammar, people stop capitalizing sentences, and write in shorthand.� It's efficient, and as long as the sender and recipient understand the concept the other end is communicating, then isn't that the purpose of language?� "Not so", says the English teacher.� "You must capitalize sentences, and you must put the comma inside the quotation mark, because that's the rule."� And you wonder, what gives the teachers the power to determine these rules, to say "l8tr" is bad and the incomprehensible mess written by Joyce is good?� The answer really is nothing.

For memory, that makes me laugh.� Before the invention of writing, humans had the ability to memorize long stories and incantations very easily.� You 'sing' them a story once, and they remember it verbatim.� Then the invention of writing freed people from having to memorize stuff - you just write it down where later you can look it up.� Freeing up those brain cells is a good thing.� The same thing is happening now with electronic storage.� Our electronic assistants are more efficient at storing and recalling data than us, freeing our minds to do more less medial tasks.

This is why you should be skeptical of the judgment of English teachers.�

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

As a 20 year-old engineering student at Northeastern University, I am offended by Mr. Bauerlein's jab that my generation is the dumbest ever.

Mr. Bauerlein does repeatedly the one thing my high school history teacher told us repeatedly never to do: make sweeping generalizations. Saying that no one in this generation reads or likes to read is simply untrue. By saying we can't spell-- spell! -- is an insult simply because he is suggesting we couldn't pass the fourth grade. He even goes as far as to say our use of the Internet for reference makes us dumber.

Mr Bauerlein is using technology against us as well, bashing instant messaging, facebook, and video games as something that makes my generation dumb. These are luxuries that weren't available to previous generations; does that make us dumber for using them? Instant messaging makes sense because you can have numerous conversations simalutaniously. Facebook and other networking sites are revolutionary in that you can connect with everyone you know. Even older people are using Facebook now. As for video games... I'll admit that some people play video games much more than they should, but they're just new forms of entertainment that other generations didn't have. My parents tell me how excited they were when Pong came out; it's the same for us.

Many generations have horrified their parents. For example, when jazz music was new and popular amongst young people in the 20's, their parents disapproved of this "devilish music". When the sixties came, the largest generation to date, the Baby Boomers, were rioting in protest to the Vietnam War and abusing illegal substances. Our generation is no different. There will be new and scary things that come along with every generation. Does this make them "dumb"? Of course not.

The amount of competition for admission to private colleges is skyrocketing. Standardized tests are getting longer and harder. For every dumb person in my generation, there are very intelligent people that are working hard, going to college, and making a difference. We can spell, we read books, we are active in current issues and politics. And yes, we use instant messaging and play video games. We are the generation that will be pulling the country out of a recession. And it will happen.

Don't use sweeping generalizations.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

An excellent point. We are the generation solely responsible for the rise of the next President of the United States. Can any other generation say that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmm126. Show cmm126's posts

I am 26, and I can honestly say that I found this article to be incredibly insulting and misleading. Not only am I in Graduate School for Library Science, I am an avid reader, and a full-time employee at a large University. I work with fantastic kids in my office who have ambitious life goals, care a lot about politics, and are all-around fantastic human beings.

It's too easy to scapegoat the younger generations. To be honest, there are plenty of people in their 30s who love playing video games and messing around on facebook--does that make them lesser citizens? I highly doubt that would be true according to this author. He seems to be incredibly comfortable scapegoating a group of people who, due to their age and environments, have not had to live as adults yet. Calling them pasty and brainless because they like to network on facebook is ridiculous.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsoxrox. Show rsoxrox's posts

Every generation has been called the 'dumbest generation', and mostly by the generation before it. This article is completely unsupported by fact and is completely composed of opinion. Each generation has a new invention that changes the way they grow up, and makes the older people believe they are dumber than they were at the same age. No matter who you are, you can be dumb as a teenager. I'm a teenager, and I will be the first to admit I'm not perfect. I don't always use perfect grammer while IMing, and I do text a lot. This generation does have the highest high school and graduation rates in history, don't forget that. We actually do care about politics, and have been taking active roles in issues that we have interest in. This generation cares about the enviornment, abortion, economy, and other issues. We are the most informed generation with up-to-the second news coverage and more opportunities than ever before. The illiteracy claim is totally unsupported and a true stereotype. There are so many young people that love to read and that can spell. When we are just talking to our friends, why is there an expectation by our elders to have perfect spelling? When there is the time and place that this will be required, we can and will use the correct punctuation. My generation does enjoy MySpace, Facebook, and other social networking sites. Originality is actually valued on these. On your space, the more original you get, the better. Having a cool picture or a deep 'About Me' is actually considered a good thing. With Grand Theft Auto, it's the same with every generation. There was Pong and Tetris with other old style games that served the same purpose with occupying the minds of the youth. The Internet isn't just a delivery service, you can learn just as well as a book. There is actually more opportunities than you could find as it isn't just a delivery system we learn something and then teach others. This isn't just a brain draining system, it nutures the brain. The teachers and parents issue has been going on for decades, even centuries! Just by saying that 'they are young' is one of the least intelligent reasons stated in this article, as it's true that every single one of us on Earth has been, or is, young at one time in our lives! This article is ludicrious and should never be used as proof for anything intelligent and should never be used in a professional atmosphere to explain anything of interest. It is useless.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from peacenik. Show peacenik's posts

Beso said:
    "But I agree that remedial math and reading skills have fallendrastically.� Is there really anyone under 20 who can make changewithout the "change" key on the register?� Really...is there?"

Yes, Beso, there is: my 7-year-old son.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

"Ever see a kid try to make change without the cash register at any of your local stores?"

You make no sense. You can't exactly make change without a cash register... Where's the change coming from? Is conjuring change out of thin air just my generation is too "dumb" to do?

Sections
Shortcuts