Is this the dumbest generation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisox09. Show chrisox09's posts

This argument is entirely unconvincing in its causality - it uses anecdotes to draw conclusions on entire demographic groups. It's the same type of thinking that would lead a person to say, "it felt cold this year, global warming must be false." It's about book sales, not accurate social science.

Much of the intellectual rejection of the past few years (Bush-style jingoism, intelligent design, Fox News journalism) is not the result of my generation. Certainly, not every youth today is a genius, but college attendence rates are the highest they have ever been. Not everyone fifty years ago was a genius either.

I'm 22.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from catherinefm1. Show catherinefm1's posts

If anybody's dumb, it's the author, not the under-30s. You'd have to be pretty dumb to come up with such a set of sweeping generalizations, minus any supporting data, and then apply them to a whole generation of individual human beings.

I am in my 50s with three kids under 30. None of my kids, and none of their friends, bear any resemblance to the dopes described (imagined) here. They don't play video games. They do IM, but no more and no less than I used the phone at their age. They use the Internet a lot. So do I. So what?

My kids and their friends can spell and write and speak coherently. They have plans for their futures and they're working on them. And they and their friends are far more knowledgeable, competent, capable, and focused than my friends were at their age, when many people I knew were drifting around in clouds of pot smoke saying "oh WOW man" and vowing to go Back to the Land rather than to sell out their souls to The Man by going to work at any actual jobs.

Yes, of course, now I'm the one who's generalizing. But that's exactly my point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dd24. Show dd24's posts

Very well put! You've summed up exactly what the problems are with this generation of young people an an intelligent, clear manner.� As a high school teacher, I confront many of the same things you have mentioned in your post on a daily basis.� And yes, teachers, parents, society...we need to expect more of them!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trd2345. Show trd2345's posts

Thanks for the support of my so-called "dumbest generation".� I'll be the first to admit that there does exist a great deal of dimly lit bulbs in this pack, but it's a shame to put the entire generation under the same harsh stereotype.

I'll be brief, so for a simple counterpoint: the generation before us believed Bush to be fit for not one, but TWO terms in office.

That's on your heads, and I do believe that does say a great deal about the state of this country (generation-wise anyway).�

So thanks, other generations, for not only labeling the youth as dumb but also giving us a catastrophe as well.� Here's to hoping we're a bit better with foreign relations.

...and domestic policy, as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

"The baby boomers... Whiny, narcissistic, self-indulgent people, with a simple philosophy, 'GIMME THAT IT'S MINE! GIMME THAT IT'S MINE!' These people were given everything, everything was handed to them, and they took it all, took it all. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll and they stayed loaded for twenty years and had a free ride. But now they're staring down the barrel of middle-age burnout and they don't like it. They don't like it so they turn self righteous, and they want to make things hard on younger people. They tell them 'Abstain from sex. Say no to drugs.' As for the rock and roll, they sold that to television commercials a long time ago. So they could buy pasta machines, and stairmasters, and soy bean futures. You know something? They're cold, bloodless people, it's in their slogans, it's in their rhetoric. 'No pain, no gain.' 'Just do it.' 'Life is short, play hard.' 'Sh*t happens, deal with it.' They went from cocaine to rogaine. And you know something? They're still counting grams, only now it's fat grams. And the worst of it is the rest of us have to watch these commercials on TV for Levi's loose fitting jeans and fat[bottom] docker pants. Because these degenerate yuppie boomer [people] couldn't keep their hands off the croissants and the haagen-dazs. And their big fat [butts] have spread all over and they have to wear fat[bottom] docker pants. "

-George Carlin, comedian

Boomers, how does this make you feel? Mr. Carlin has classified an entire generation as yuppies, selfish, fat, lazy, no fun, and used to getting everything handed to them.

Look, I know this isn't true for the majority of people in the baby boom generation. But Mr. Carlin grouped all baby boomers together and probably offended some people. That's how upstanding 20-somethings feel about this article. Sure, there are some losers out there, every generation has them. But you simply can't use sweeping generalizations.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ibambe. Show ibambe's posts

O tempora!! O mores!!

This is just one example in a host of others throughout history that critiques the current national mores and longs for some romanticized golden age. It also happens to be a total fallacy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

I don't need to be spoon fed. You're the one who has to defend yourself for making no sense.

Regardless of your error... you took a fault of a few people (teenagers at your local supermarket) and generalized it for an entire generation. And that offends me, as someone who has recently completed a course in differential equations, a class that most people hardly know how to pronounce. By saying something like "They can't do simple math," you're insulting the millions of students who are working through college, high school, grad school, in the armed forces, working good jobs or trying to find a good job. Be careful, you might be working for one of these people someday, if you aren't already.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

Great point. Mark Zuckerburg was in his 20's when he started The Facebook. Say what you want about Facebook, but you can't argue that it was a great idea (and he's obscenely rich because of it).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosdan80. Show bosdan80's posts

why don't you geezers look up the facts:�

- my generation is the most educated ever
    - my generation worked more as teens and young adults than any other
    - my generation is more open minded and spews less hatred and bigotry than any other
    - my generation can do more things at once than you can think of doing at once
    - my generation drives more change in the workplace in the past 5 years than you have in the past 30 (flex, community service, pay, etc.)

so instead of bashing us, thank us for footing the bill your irresponsible asses have handed to us.� there is no guarantee that i will have social security, but we are working to save your wrinkled asses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosdan80. Show bosdan80's posts

gerricor, you are an idiot.� the reason why people aren't protesting in the streets is because the military is all VOLUNTEER now.� believe you me, if the draft was still around, there would be massive protests.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wisernow. Show wisernow's posts

Kudos to you and your language skills! I do beleive this� " formally educated" man is not showing his best side..... it may be the truist�statment ; that formal educaiton does not equate with intelligence. I am middle aged and not one of the brightest in my genrtation and can understand why� and those same reasons still exist which tell me that nobody has actually beome any brighter over the generations nor did the previous generations have it all!!! Get off your high horse... I don't like people who boast of their degrees or philosphies or think that there is a one size fits all score sheet. I've seen a fair number of formally educated people bore, insult, uninspire, offend & honestly devastate others and who are completley unaware of their effect on the other person (s). I have a hard time respecting their inflated egos. My measuring stick is apparently very different than what is important to�them or how some are raised and praised to think how the world should work. Our jobs here is to serve others; to help; to make life easier for all. Love your neighbor!!! How is this bashing helping anyone, it is only highlighting�the author's �shortcomings,�sadly. �I do know the teachers, more specifically the public education system has dropped the ball on our youth and they've been doing it since I sat there bored out of my head! DId you ever think the kids( people) �who don't read; can't or that it is so laborious that it is too time-consuming or has no meaning as they may not retain or comprehend what they read? Teaching reading is like brain surgery, it is very complex; do you think that we've properly trained our teachers to deliver the methodologies that would actually work toward the goal of increased ltieracy? Even if one or two are trained, how many students are being properly seriveced? I happen to know first hand the abuse that parents and children who have any learning difficulties in school endure. From our experience alone and I met many others in the same boat and worse, the public schools waste our childrnens' time and use our tax $ to fight the parents and they are bullies. Ask honestly any committed, passionate, intelligent teacher/provider if they are allowed to speak at the supoosed " TEAM" meetings & if they are ask them can they give their honest opinion? I see Phil DOnohue and Oprah reaching millions & millions of poeple and bringing many topics to the publics attention & being instrumental in helping so many; I've seen police undercover shows, etc... Why is is that with all the supposed intelligent, so put together poople hasn't anyone come up with a way to expose the school system for what it is: broken! Quit blaming individual people, it's tiring.� In a previous statement the soical security system was mentioned; how well is that program? DId the youth do that? Who is guiding our youth or giving a damn about anyone but themselves? So, I share a story of a remarkably bright , young woman who has been blessed with many gifts and many people who love her ; she is afforded by her father the best in education & is awarded her college degree which she earned with two majors. Quite an accomplishment, one of her majors is theology and she literally crushes her dad with her brusque & curt response after he flew to her graduation to take some pictures of her graduating. She couldn't even be kind enough to be gracious as a small way of thanking him for all of his sacrifices for her to have a good start in life.� What did she learn? In my opinion, to spit back information to get the grade she certinally is not applying any of it to her life.� ( for those of you thinking he must have done something so awful.... he divorced her mother after years of tumultuous marriage where neither of them worked well together & they did not take the time to learn new skills to make it work & each went their own way.) Neither one made good decisions and both could be charged with being selfish but he loves his chidlren and financially provided more than most have been offorded or gifted so instead of saying thanks dad for all you've done for me or us... they spend their time trying to hurt him. Hopefully they will get over it..... Look around and see all the angry "pitbulls" out there. Look in the mirror, it isn't pretty and there is a different way, a more honest way. Forget your degrees and your hours in church; get real, be honest. Quit the gang mentality & shame on the extended family members who jump on the band wagon & are so egotistisical to think it remotely has anything to do with them to get even. Even without "formal education" I understand a divorce is mediated by a judge and it doesn't really matter what the family thinks and divorce is not pretty, it's expensive. The lies and manipulation and egotisitical power plays are comical� ( not while you're in the midst, but good for movie ideas! ) and take real energy, the emotions are draining and it can be devastating; why make it harder than it is. How is that the families can lower themselves to make it more difficult by taking sides... Hello, are we in third grade? And noteworthy piece of advice; DON"T ATTACK THE OPPONENT PHYSICALLY UNLESS YOU'D LIKE SMALLER ACCOMODATIONS FOR THE NIGHT AND LEAVE THE IN-LAWS FINANCIAL INFORMATON OUT OF IT.�( Don't grub for more than you already took from the family! ) In most states, when you divorce you only get the financial support from the one who married you not the�entire family!�The hate and anger only take you down; while your target of your obsession is out dancing! What more can any parent do than to let their young adult children know they love them and will be there for them.... as adults it's then up to them to make their choices in life. They certainly have been provided with all the gifts and tools needed to conduct themselves as respectful adults. Let's see how they fare.� by the way... Happy Graduation or is that a misnomer?�Sorry for ranting. to me� and I relate to the "Cows"! it's all intertwined. we all do the best we can, why is that not good enough!�����

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

If you're having trouble finding upstanding young people, maybe you're not looking in the right places. If you're going by just what you hear on the news, you're not going to find many. The news will always tell you bad things about youth, but good things don't sell papers. If someone wrote a book about how great my generation was, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion and you can bet the Globe wouldn't have highlighted it.

I challenge all of you people who think this generation is "dumb" to go to a high school track meet. Go to a college orchestra concert. Go to a model UN competition. Heck, go to a Barack Obama rally, and I'll guarantee you that you'll find thousands of young people who care about this country a whole lot. Read about the All-Scholastic athletes in the Globe in the next couple months, and I guarantee you'll find hundreds of high school students who are working their way through school and getting high marks while excelling on the sports field. Don't just say this generation is dumb and write us off.�

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosdan80. Show bosdan80's posts

affluent suburbs, oh i guess if they were poor the behavior would be expected?� way to show your close-mindedness.� i'll have you know that i went to school with affluent kids who teased those with blue-collar parents, only to grow up and work those very jobs because they didn't apply themselves and take their education seriously. they thought mom and dad would bail them out, instead they are picking up my trash, cleaning my street, and soon will be working on my yard.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

I wholeheartedly agree. If you're a Presidential candidate and you want your candidacy to end, just say you're for the draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerricor. Show gerricor's posts

Your response only goes further to prove my point.� You would only protest if there was a draft?� You think that's the only reason we protested in the 60s?????????????�� So, it's not enough for you that your contemporaries are dying for nothing?� It would only matter if YOUR life might be put into jeopardy if there were to be a draft???� Many of the kids who are dying in Iraq volunteered because they bought the lie that attacking Iraq was revenge for 9/11.� Surely, that lie alone is worth protesting against?� You just increased my disdain for the extreme selfishness of your generation.� Unbelievable.�

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerricor. Show gerricor's posts

"Grammer"????????�� Good luck in school.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

You can't deny that the draft was a huge reason for the protests in the sixties. In addition to that, however, the government lied about even being in Vietnam in the first place. This lead to the rioting in the streets, sit-ins, etc. The sixties also were ignited by the influx of drugs, the civil rights movement, the assassination of Kennedy, the Cold War, and Rock and Roll, especially legendary artists such as the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Bob Dylan. There was much more than just a war going on in the sixties. If Vietnam was just another American war in a theoretical time period that had none of those other influences, I can bet there would be some light protests, as there have been nowadays, but nothing like the ones that actually happened in the sixties. The truth is, many of those riots had little or nothing to do with Vietnam (the RFK and MLK assassinations, to name two).

That said, you also can't deny that young people today are, in general, strictly opposed to this war. Some protests have happened. Another truth is that the war isn't as deadly in terms of American casualties as Vietnam was (The Iraq war has seen over 4000 dead in 5 years; the Vietnam war saw over 16,000 Americans dead in 1968 and over 50,000 dead over the course of 8 years, not including the very early and very late stages of the war). Another factor is that the troops had very little support in the sixties, which is very much the opposite today.

You can't just say our generation is "selfish" because we don't riot in the streets. Perhaps we just have better judgement. Certainly the historical circumstances are much, much different.

Besides, I don't see any Boomers rioting in the streets about this war, either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wisernow. Show wisernow's posts

In my opinion, that's no only� a small view but also negative and potentially destructive: my perspective is from a broader view from our experiences; kids/people are made resilient and confident only when they feel what they contribute makes a difference in the outcome. Too many students with different learnign styles are not adequately tuaght so they continually try different methods on thier own or the same one over and over until they give up and think they are not adequate and no mater how hard they try, they are not effective. It is the responsiblity of the person in the role of teacher to correct that and in my opinion; the teachers are not successful until their students are. They are the ones who need to find the motivation technique and the methodology that works with their students. All young children have gifts & want to learn and do well. It all begins there when they are measured against their peers. DOn't blame the parents because I don't buy that argument; the schools do not work with the parents or show any regard whatsoever especially to a parent who questions whether somethign can be done differently even if the parent offers to pay or to put time in. I have been told on numerous occasions I could not help my child with homework. In elementary school I could only get my youngest one to elaborate on his spelling words in a sentence when I did the writing. ( writing was exhausting for him) I did that to prove to him that his teahcers were looking for what he knew! Yup, the teacher was so impressed she brought it to the head of the language department who called me at home to inquire as to whetehr my child had done his own homework. I explained that after months of trying to explain what the teacher was looking for; we came to an agreement; he'd express more complex sentences if I did the writing. ( he was in a specific language based school & we left the house at 6:30 am with an 1. 5 hr commute both ways, beginning at age 10 because our public school lacked tremendously & failed him miserably as he has at least average cognitive ability!) I was appalled at the response I heard next: well, he needs to do his own work, we need to know what he can do and besides the other parents arent' able to help their children. I knew then we'd need to investigate other options for schools. The public school never worked with us and actually fought us the entire way, the language based school for which I sued our town to pay for and prevailed had a bad habit of incorporating the director's ego and actually felt entitled to reprimand the parents!� It's called RESPECT and it's lacking in so much of our lives! The only true teachers I've encountered are within a private tutor center where the educators have left public school and are totally committed to reaching and teaching their students. They do not consider themselves a success unless their students are a success! WOW!! I paid dearly even though it was less than I may have had to pay it was expensive for us as a family, it was worth it. MY child was respected as the learneer and person he is. The teachers had respect and worked with the parents and welcomed any questions or anything the parents could offer to help. It was a supportive place for the student which is the reason we have schools; to educate the students! We also have experience with the collaborative which in our case was very unimpressive and in my opinion, damaging. In my opinion, it prevails as the public schools pay into it, �in effect buying themselves more witnesses for their cause: bullying. And lastly in our skit was a boarding school for specific language learning disabilities like dyslexia and they missed too many of�the big pieces of child development and encouragement that we had to leave. There were glaring issues that if handled with humanity & compassion the child could have and should have grown so nicely; instead tehy took the parents' cash and tried to say the only reason a child is not successful in their program is the parents' pull as most kids adjust to boarding unless the parents take all their calls and keep coming to visit! To me; it's horse manure! In our home; we have real realtionships, love, care and concern for all pieces of our souls. We've unschooled for a few years now; so yes, we've done it all and blazed our own trail... you can't tell us we didn't put in effort and try it all and risk it all... What I've learned is that you can tell a child/person all you want how wonderful they are; give them any grade you want but unless they themselves feel confident; you're blowing smoke, kids are not stupid. All of us gain confidnece from mastering things. It's not the teachers and parents fualt that they don't want to hurt hteri itty bitty feelings it's just that they drop the ball on these kids and don't teach them so that they are able to master things and thats' what teaching is!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fleursdelysa. Show fleursdelysa's posts

Re: Reason #5

Unless this reason was taken out of context by a reporter, Professor Bauerlein should examine his own writing style before he accuses this generation of stupidity. Simply placing facts next to each other does not, in fact, constitute an argument. "The stats tell the story here." Well, no, they don't; that's the writer's job.

Lisa Keegan, age 21

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrdstb404. Show wrdstb404's posts

I am a teacher of 12th graders and�I vehemently disagree with the stupidity of this argument. "Generations" are a constructed illusion to keep people from joining together. It is the product of�stuffy professors who have lost their way in their ivory towers. Each student has weaknesses and strengths, but to suggest that somehow technology stupifies every individual lacks any academic basis.Rather than promote an unintelligible list of generalities and insults, let us embrace the true intent of education as articulated by Plato. It is to "know thyself". What exactly can we learn from a professor who falsely�clings to a world view that promotes superiority? What does it reveal about his thinking? Most importantly, if this is his belief, why is he anywhere near students?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerricor. Show gerricor's posts

First, I take exception to your characterization of protesting the war as "rioting in the streets."� I participated in dozens of demonstrations, none of which entailed any "rioting."� Second, the draft was not a�"huge" �reason for the demonstrations, it was the war itself and the deaths�of over 55,000 young people.� The government is lying to the American people today just as�egregiously as it lied to us in the 60s.� I also take exception to your conjecture that without drugs and rock and roll, so to speak, the demonstrations (or "riots" as you called them) would'nt have been as intense.� That is just plain ridiculous and extremely shallow thinking.� It was the consciousness we had that led to our protests - not drugs and music.� You say that the young people today are "strictly opposed" to the war in Iraq.� This truly comes as news to me.� I have never heard one young person even mention this war, never mind mention being opposed to it.� I work with dozens and dozens of people in their 20s, and you would think there isn't even a war going on at all. It's the last thing on their minds. Many people in the 60s thought (and still think to this day) that our protests and demonstrations showed a lack of support for the troops.� Nothing can be further from the truth.� We had so much support for them that we were trying to get them out of Viet Nam and home before any more of them�could be�killed.� The people who ended up shunning Viet Nam vets were not the ones who protested the war.� The people who shunned the vets when they finally came home did so because they couldn't stand the fact that American couldn't claim it won the war.� We got out of there under duress with our tail between our legs, and a lot of conservative Americans just couldn't take what was to them�the "shame" of it.� You say you don't protest because you use "better judgment."� What does that mean, exactly? It is better judgment to�turn a blind eye to�our government's unilateral attack and wasting of� another country under the�ruse of stopping terrorism or�rooting out�a mythical cache of weapons of mass destruction?� Is it better judgment to watch and say nothing while this government is killing your contemporaries in the name of oil and other strategic imperialistic realities?� As to Boomers not protesting the war today, I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself in this respect.� I am still paying today for the sacrifices I made in the 60s.� My own career never materialized in the ways I had hoped because my education in those days was constantly taking a back seat to the war. I did graduate from college back then, but I never had time to plan for any type of career, graduate without a major and drifted for many years after that.� 17 years after graduating from college, I got an advanced degree, but it was too late for me to crack a profession full of entry level people 20 years younger than me.� I don't even use that advanced degree in the job I have now. I just get by.� However, do I regret my participation in demonstrating against an unjust war?� Not one bit.��The demonstrations in the 60s were organized primarily by college students (undergrads and graduate students) on college campuses across the country.� There is strength in numbers.� The Boomers now are scattered around and cannot organize the way you can on college campuses.� You can be sure, however, that if there were to be organized demonstrations against this war, I would drop everything and participate.�� As a "Boomer," I did my part in the 60s, I did the best I could and I feel it brought about some effective results.� This is your generation.� It is people of your age who are dying for nothing.�

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerricor. Show gerricor's posts

Just for the record, I didn't vote George Bush, nor for his father, nor for Reagan or�Nixon nor for any other war-mongering Republican who has run for office during the years I�have been eligible to�vote. �I would also be careful about belittling some extra question marks used for emphasis when your generation is too lazy to communicate in English at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!���� lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrismatero. Show chrismatero's posts

To the extent that you can actually criticize an entire generation, the Boomer generation is the most irresponsible, self serving, hypocritical generation ever.� It is truly the ?me? generation.-->-->Divorce rates-->--> Huge Debt-->--> Treating their kids like furniture (refection of themselves and how great they are)-->-->Where the WW II generation was about self sacrifice the boomers have been all about self adoration.� I do believe that the ease in which kids can obtain information and have entertainment served-up fosters impatiens and that passive entertainment, TV etc. can make people lazy and unimaginative.� However, the soulless Boomers will never see their complicity in this, in fact, the criticism itself an implicit boast of the authors generation (wonder which�generation that is)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

I don't doubt that you participated in demonstations in the sixties. You also can't deny that there were some violent ones, albeit not always because of the war.

You're just being ignorant, however, when you say there aren't any demonstrations against the war. Here are a few examples.

March 29, 2003:
    In Boston, Massachusetts 50,000 people attended the largest rally in the city since the end of the Vietnam War. Thousands of people blocked Boylston Street in a die-in along the Boston Common. A handful of arrests were made.

November 2005:

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2005/11/03/65961

800-1000 Minnesota students force academic buildings to close because of sit-ins opposing the war in Iraq.
    July 29th, 2006

A coalition of United States-based groups, initiated by United for Peace and Justice, Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, National Organization for Women, Friends of the Earth, U.S. Labor Against the War, Climate Crisis Coalition, People's Hurricane Relief Fund, National Youth and Student Peace Coalition, and Veterans for Peace held a national mobilization against the war in New York City

January 10th, 2007

Numerous groups organized demonstrations in response to a January 10 speech by George W. Bush,announcing an increase of U.S troop levels in Iraq by 21,500. A smallnumber of protests occurred in the wake of the Wednesday night speech,including one in Boston which resulted in 6 arrests for blocking traffic.

(These and more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_the_2003_Iraq_war#cite_note-M29_Edinburgh-29)

November 2007:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/340003_peace17.html

Seattle high school students walk out in protest to the Iraq War.

If you want me to go on, I will. You're living in a hole if you honestly believe we don't care about this war.
    College students like myself jump-started a grassroots campaign for Barack Obama because we know he opposed the war from the beginning and he will get us out. Maybe you should try asking your 20-something co-workers about the war. They may not bring it up at the lunch table but I'm sure they have an opinion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrismatero. Show chrismatero's posts

To the extent that you can actually criticize an entire generation, the Boomer generation is the most irresponsible, self serving, hypocritical generation ever.� It is truly the ?me? generation.-->-->Huge Divorce rates-->--> Then they write books about how it's OK to get divorced and it does not actually hurt kidsIncur Huge Debt-->--> for the next generationTreating their kids like furniture (refection of themselves and how great they are)All for social programs n the 60's but now vote reliably Republican (always in their interest)-->-->Where the WW II generation was about self sacrifice the boomers have been all about self adoration.� I do believe that the ease in which kids can obtain information and have entertainment served-up fosters impatiens and that passive entertainment, TV etc. can make people lazy and unimaginative.� However, the soulless Boomers will never see their complicity in this, in fact, the criticism itself an implicit boast of the authors generation (wonder which�generation that is)