Is this the dumbest generation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo182. Show mrmojo182's posts

Honestly,� I feel very strongly that this is the dumbest� question in the world.� Mr. Bauerlein has done a great job in getting people to take interest in his book; the title is a great marketing ploy.� The young people of today (I am 26) are light years ahead in terms of adapting to change than anybody Mr. Bauerlein's age.� Mr. Bauerlein is dealing with change, and I believe that is where he got the idea for his book.� So what if nobody can spell without spell check.� Now, in elementary school, students will have time to learn something more important, more geared toward the new global economy.� I see this as progression.� Mr. Bauerlein is definitely not an economist or technologist.� He does not understand how important embracing technology is today for our economy and our national well being.� People communicate faster than ever before on IM and myspace, who is to say that's wrong?� Why don't we still write with a quill and ink?� The English language has changed a lot over the years.� One has to take classes on Shakes to understand what he was trying to say.� Why can't our language change?� I'll tell you what, meetings at work would take up a lot less time, productivity would go up.

I'm not saying I know it all, but people are adverse to change, and I think its change that scares Mr. Bauerlein.� It is people like him that stymie growth, pollute the hell out of the planet, and get us stuck in wars.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo182. Show mrmojo182's posts

Great reply!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo182. Show mrmojo182's posts

I think a better question is, are we teaching students the skills and knowledge necessary to compete in the global economy?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo182. Show mrmojo182's posts

That is the most pigheaded thing I have read on here.� Just because people don't punctuate correctly!� You must be a thrill to be around.� Let me summarize my point, you're an #$%

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from javanyet. Show javanyet's posts

These 8 reasons are cute and clever, and a little dimwitted.

Two major reasons I disagree with this "theory" are:

1. I know far too many under-30's who are exactly the opposite

and

2. I know far too many over-30's who match every reason letter for letter.

As for poor spelling, it is a near-universal American embarrassment (or should be considered embarrassing... but usually isn't) and definitely is not confined to young people. If I ever get through the day and NOT encounter at least a dozen egregious examples of functional illiteracy, from the work place to personal correspondence to published news... I'll think I've moved to a parallel universe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maineboy. Show maineboy's posts

What this generation lacks can be summed up in just three words: NO COMMON SENSE!�� They lack analytical skills, have a difficult time understanding how things work (unless they can look it up on the Internet), and lack social skills.� Do you ever see teens tinkering with cars or other things mechanical? You don't see that anymore. I bet the majority wouldn't even know how to change a flat tire on their vehicle, or change th oil, let alone find the correct cover for the oil or coolant tank.Sorry to say, but we have brought up the "Dumb and Dumber" generation, and I'm guilty as charged!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dadadee. Show dadadee's posts

I really don't know if� "The Dumbest Generation" can be defined by age alone. I am 28, we had one computer lab in school when I graduated, most of my friends did not have computers, nevermind interenet access, and only drug dealers had cell phones. So, I don't believe that I qualify as a member of a generation that has been destroyed by their�technology, and own obsession with "teen stuff".I think their are many things wrong with "kids today". However, many folks forget what being a teenager is like. They are mostly ruled by their hormones and desire for the opposite sex, can't think straight for more than 10 minutes, and are self-absorbed. Its part of the game. The major problem is that no one is drawing a line in the sand and saying "ok, time to grow up". We have a culture that promotes perpetual adolescence. Its not that they are dumb, its that the rest of us don't demand more.�

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paintedwings. Show paintedwings's posts

Bauerlein's article is baseless and�a waste of time.� This young generation is revolutionizing the world in ways previous generations could not even imagine and transforming the capacity of technology for communication and social good. �Just look at a cause like Invisible Children (www.invisiblechildren.com), for example, and realize that young people are building schools to give hope and possibility in a war zone while the world has done little to end a 22 year civil conflict. ��The ?dumbness? lies squarely on the recent generations before who have helped to feed this new generation with media that cares more about info-tainment and a culture of selfish capitalism. ( It wasn?t a 20-something who encouraged America to go shopping after the World Trade Center towers were struck ? but you can bet in high-schools across the country, young people were feeling deeply and asking the important questions of why?.wondering if there were alternatives to seeing their peers graduate and go to war.)� This generation is taking on and talking about hard issues, and facing daily challenges in race relations, gender identity, drugs, guns and a failing school system.�� Segregation and slavery were dumb.� Investing billions in war while schools�and healthcare systems fail�domestically is dumb.� Shouldering the complex burdens from mistakes of previous generations - and being active towards (and hopeful about) the future, sounds like a resilient, smart and powerful generation to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dani07. Show dani07's posts

I most certainly do not buy this argument. Here's a factoid 80% of people in my generation are in or will attend some form of higher education.� That is the largest amount in the history of the nation.� As far as the gaps in knowledge - your example is a late night television host�who looks for stupid people, and might I remind you that a goodly portion of his recorded buffoons are above the age of 30.� Much like your last reason, stating how stupid you were at this age, I'd like to reiterate that the mistakes you are making now with children's education and media exposure, i.e. 'Grand Theft Auto' are no one's fault but your own, the distributors, creators, and marketing firms are not made up of their target demographic, 13 year olds, but instead 30+.� Any kind of brain rot that is spread to the youth of America is part of a larger money making scheme enacted by mom and pop, not the idiot 20 year old who doesn't know or care to know who #### Cheney is.� Perhaps if this author spent less time making quirky commentary on the �youth of America's ignorance and more time fostering love of reading in children he would have less to worry about.� I'm 23 and I'm not dumb, no one I know is dumb, and finally the word 'dumb' is colloquial and demeaning.� Get yourself a thesauras and keep your negative point of view to your self.And oh my, I was able to formulate this entire entry without the help of spell check-gasp!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortysomething. Show fortysomething's posts

Nobody is entitled to respect without earning it. Once you figure that out, you will probably stop being such an obnoxious putz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from honestman. Show honestman's posts

� I'd like to suggest that those of you who are being somewhat *defensive* (an understandable reaction after being called "dumb") take a few minutes to read some of the articles posted on this author's (Bauerlein's) website:
    http://www.dumbestgeneration.com/articles.html

� Then you'll have a much clearer idea of this author's ideas than the incendiary simplification provided by boston.com's "article". As irritating as this author may be, his accusations do have some basis in a number of studies. Perhaps the truth, as in many cases, lies somewhere between these extremes. In any case, not only are these posted articles interesting, I think that reading them will give you all a bit more depth as to what these issues really are, and so will help you with your arguments, regardless of your viewpoint. U no?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fortysomething. Show fortysomething's posts

In short, we aren't any dumber, it is just that our�ridiculess actions�are more easily seen by everyone.Very insightful comment. We all did stupid things when we were young but wouldn't have dreamed of taking pictures of it and posting it on a world wide media for all to see - at least we understood our behavior was dumb.However, being in the position of hiring interns, engineers and lawyers�for a multi-national company I thank my lucky stars every single day for Facebook and Myspace . What better way to vet perspective employees than scrolling through personal pages and seeing pictures of drunken and/or drug induced "lapses in judgement". I think my company has dodged many bullets by doing a little online research to see what a candidate is really made of. Of course, those are the candidates that make it past the screening process. I delete hundreds of resumes every week for poor spelling and punctuation and cover letter templates that include the job description of some other company's advertisement. But my personal favorites are the email addresses; I'm sure sexysteaminmama@gmail.com, longtalljohnson@verizon.net are still wondering why they never got an interview.One final comment, read the book. I did and�the author sites research and analysis done by some very reputable universities.�This article was not even written by the author of the book. This is just a fluff piece written by someone who had nothing to do with writing the book. You are all taking exception to the authors commentary without reading it in context. All the posters have done on this board is reinforce some of the conclusions reached by the author, you read the talking points-the quick read and base your opinions on the title but not the substance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from attam54. Show attam54's posts

The reason GTA 1V has dwarfed all movie and cd sales in dollar amounts is beacuase we don't pay between $60 and $90 for a ticket or an album. If stats are going to be the basis of your argument some context would be nice. I'm 29.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

I rest my case! I never said listening to music was dumb. I said, well, read the post. I'll repeat it here so you don't need to exert yourself too much. This is what I said:

They sure look dumb staring into space with those iPods in their ears rocking their head backk and forth....

You guys really are dumb after all!! LOL!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attam54. Show attam54's posts

I spelled "because" wrong in my previous post. I guess Bauerlein is right. I also forgot I'm not 29 I'm 22...oops.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sharymea. Show sharymea's posts

I must say that I strongly disagree with the author's theory that this is the "dumbest" generation.� Surely it's a common reaction for most generations to believe that they are wiser than those that follow; however, there are many valuable qualities our generation has which others do not.� For example, I cannot begin to tell you how many hours I've spent trying to explain basic Windows features to my parents.� Something I was able to pick up within minutes takes them hours.I think there's too much significance placed on the spelling and grammar skills of the younger generation.� IM and text messaging is truly its own language, dominated by its own rules and restrictions.� Perhaps it's better to treat this the way one might treat the difference between English and American Sign Language.� While you may be getting the same thought across, different grammar rules dictate the way in which you do so.� Forcing children to use proper grammar while text messaging will never solve the problem; rather, it's important to emphasize the fact that in certain situations (i.e., the classroom) proper capitalization and grammar is required.� Perhaps it ought to be up to the parents to ensure that their children have a solid background in spelling and grammar prior to giving them free reign of a text messaging plan.� I believe learning proper spelling and grammar prior to being given a cell phone has allowed me to be able to write in either "language" with ease.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from buggie10. Show buggie10's posts

Dude, I'm not even in the demographic in question, I'm over 30. You haven't "rested any cases." I know what you said, and you were basically accusing young people of looking dumb because they are listening to music. Headphones have been around for� A LONG TIME...and you don't have to be under 30 to have an ipod or any other portable music device.

The "rocking back and forth" is called entrainment. It happens when you listen to music. Old people do it too. You should try it sometime.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

What's entrainment? If you mean entertainment, I never said it wasn't. I said it looked undignified. Wow - I had to explain this twice!�Read the darn thing!And, Dude, reading is entertainment. You should try it sometime.�

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmo5138. Show kmo5138's posts

I think saying that it's because this generation doesn't read books is absolutely ridiculous and is coming from someone who obviously isn't informed that just as much, if not more, information can be found on the web. If you're talking about reading for pleasure, I would also disagree. I'm 23 years old, yes, I have a cell phone, I-Pod and love to text message and use AIM, but I also spend time reading every day. Perhaps the older generation is to blame. They are the ones putting DVD players in cars and not encouraging their children to maybe just think about things, observe the surrounding environment�or read a book the way I, and many others in my generation did as children.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from buggie10. Show buggie10's posts

No, I mean ENTRAINMENT. It's a very common word, maybe you should read more books and improve your vocabulary.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

Well, it's making you dumb. Read the post!! I said it looks dumb and is less dignified. And, it is.

And, I grew out of that type of "entrainment" long ago. Zoning out is what I call it. You're trying to make a total waste of time sound worthwhile. Read a book already.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from buggie10. Show buggie10's posts

Well, it's making you dumb. Read the post!! I said it looks dumb and is less dignified. And, it is.And, I grew out of that type of "entrainment" long ago. Zoning outis what I call it. You're trying to make a total waste of time soundworthwhile. Read a book already.
    Why are you being so hostile?!�
    I did read the post. I don't think you have the right to claim that other adults look "dumb" or "undigified" because they are enjoying some music. You do not have the authority (no one does) to place more or less value on the enjoyment of different forms of art. Furthermore, not all books are "dignified." Reading isn't necessarily a dignified hobby or a good use of time if you're reading trash- that's a very ignorant view. Some books are a lot trashier than any music a 20-something is enjoying on their ipod. Do you think if you see someone on the T reading a trashy romance novel or gossip magazine it looks "dignified?" Also, what is "dumb" and "undignified" about zoning out? Maybe people are zoning out, who cares? Taking a few moments to relax does not make a person dumb. You don't know what's going on in their minds while they're "looking dumb" and "wasting time" to you. And again, you just have no right to judge what is a "waste of time" for other people. What are you spending all your time on that's so important? Reading Daniel Steel novels?
    You "grew out" of it? That's a shame.
    Why are you yelling at me to read a book?� I read lots of books. Lots.� And as I said, I am not in the demographic you're so peeved about.� And I'm definitely not dumb. And I'm wondering, what qualifications do you have to judge to how dumb people are just by looking at them? I'm very impressed.

I'm done with this discussion. You seem to be a very judgemental person with a very limited view of the world and it's not worth it. I don't think anyone will be taking your posts seriously, so there's no reason to argue.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssguy. Show ssguy's posts

It?s startling to see how many of the younger generation think of themselves as being better or smarter than the older generations because of their ability to use technology ?better?. The fact is they are standing on the shoulders of giants. We all are. We would have nothing now if it weren?t for the contributions from past generations.-->-->-->�-->Some of the older generations who are posting comments speak with an element of wisdom that is gained through the perspective of time and experience. Some are lacking perspective. Unfortunately, many of the younger generation who are critical of the older generation lack the ability to have perspective. They simply haven?t experienced enough of life to make a valid argument of why they are better. Claiming that you are better than the older or younger generation is nonsense! The older generation should understand that the younger generation doesn?t yet have the wisdom of experience. The younger generation should have an idea that maybe they don?t know everything there is to know yet. Even those of us much further along and close to our sunset have the knowledge that they know more now then they did just 10 years ago.-->-->-->�-->No one can claim they are better than the other. In fact, making such an assertion could only reveal a lack of understanding. -->-->-->�-->There will always be one segment of a generation that excel, one segment will fail, and the most of remainder will be somewhere in the middle. It will always be that way.-->-->

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

Oh for pete's sake. READ MY ORIGINAL POST ALREADY. It says that I don't know if this generation is dumb or not but they sure look dumb with those things in their ears.

Maybe we can add hypersensitive to that as well. �

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

I should add - look who's talking! You started beating me up - and then start whining because I have an answer!�

Sections
Shortcuts