New to Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtsnowboarder79. Show vtsnowboarder79's posts

New to Boston?

I'm originally from the Boston area and moved AWAY a few years ago.� I'm going to take a guess at what a lot of people would have wished they had known...1) Own a car?� Weren't you surprised when you found out about the yearly Excise Tax.2)�Thought Boston was a liberal city?� If you live in the suburbs, especially the North Shore, I bet you never expected the provinciality, racist ignorance, and socially conservative attitudes you'll find there.� 3)�The T shuts down ridiculously early4) Some of you learned on your first day in the city that Storrow Drive was not built to accomodate UHauls5)�The abundance of guys in Speedos at the beaches is the product of rampant Canadian tourism in the summer.6)�Say it with me:� I shouldn't have driven through Salem on Haloween7) Most grocery stores�don't sell beer or wine, and none sell liquor.� 8) Winter lasts until the third week in May... Spring lasts�for just one�week before the blistering hot summer arrives during Memorial Day Weekend. 9) Bostonians can no longer give you directions around downtown Boston since the Big Dig has rendered the landscape of the city unrecognizeable (but very beautiful!) 10) Believe it or not, the people driving in the breakdown lane on 93 north during rush hour are within their legal rights and not actually doutche�bags.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtsnowboarder79. Show vtsnowboarder79's posts

New to Boston?

I think in most other states the Automobile excise tax is factored into the registration cost.� Massachusetts is unique in that it's billed by and paid to the city or town you live in.� I don't have statistics on how different states collect these taxes, but if you do a google search for automobile excise tax, nearly all the results relate to Massachusetts.�

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seizetime. Show seizetime's posts

New to Boston?

There is some truth to what you're saying about the Excise Tax. Even some MA residents don't understand the Excise. I used to sell cars and whenever someone was leasing, I tried explaing to them about the Excise Tax being billed as Property Tax, and half the time people questioned whether this was a legitimate tax! To add another point to the "most grocery stores not selling liquor", I recall one time a friend of mine came from NY on a Sunday and realized stores didn't sell liquor on Sundays.

Boston does have it's charms, though. Another friend who came from San Diego/LA was surprised at the convenience of the T. She currently takes the commuter rail to work everyday. Despite the hiccups in delays, she prefers the T more than fighting through LA traffic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

New to Boston?

liquor stores in MA have been open on sundays for 2 or 3 years now...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pba1. Show pba1's posts

New to Boston?

not liquor stores ...... yes they have been open on Sunday in Massachusetts for a couple of years now......but in Floriday and many other states.......you do not have to make a separate trip to a different store (Sunday or not) to buy liquor.......you can buy it in the grocery store

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beb31. Show beb31's posts

New to Boston?

You can actually buy beer and wine in some grocery stores here in MA...just not all of them.� MA has�an odd�state law where no company may be awarded more than three retail liquor licenses.� In 2006, they tried to pass a bill allowing wine (but not beer) to be sold in grocery stores, but it was rejected.�

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from deadjoe. Show deadjoe's posts

New to Boston?

"7) Most grocery stores�don't sell beer or wine, and none sell liquor.�"Wrong. Lots of grocery stores sell liquor. It's a decision made by the individual cities and towns, with a state-wide cap of 3 licenses for any single owner; but that doesn't mean they can't do it. I buy liquor in a grocery store quite often.Make it:7) Lots of Boston-area residents have no idea what the laws are about liquor/wine/beer sales, and they make unsupported generalizations based on legend, lore, limited observation, and dishonest campaign ads for a recent referendum.�

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtsnowboarder79. Show vtsnowboarder79's posts

New to Boston?

I live in Southern California too... there are so many of us Bostonians out here.� I completely agree with the comparison of Boston drivers to LA drivers.� I will say that LA does have some quaint pockets....such as Larchmont Street in Hancock Park, and� Main Street in Santa Monica, but in general these places are hidden from most people.� Boston is far more human scale than LA.�

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

New to Boston?

if you don't like it here, you're welcome to leave.� just don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

New to Boston?

one thing my husband�tells me he wishes he knew about when he moved here is the rotaries.� guess we are the only state in the nation that has them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireball8990. Show fireball8990's posts

New to Boston?

An excice tax in Massachusetts is known as an Ad Velorem tax in Georgia.� This is due at midnight on the birthday of the person�who the vehicle is registered to. This tax�also includes trailers and campers( based on the value of the vehicle). So on my birthday each year I get to give the county I live in 400 dollars just to drive my vehicle on the roads. �:-)��� Florida gets you with their impact fee when you move�to�the state. Somehow,someway any state is gonna get something out of you in taxes.� There are no Sunday sales of�alcohol and our lovely governor does not feel the need to put it to the people of the state to vote on it.� Because of his personal and religous viewpoints he has rejected a vote on this.� Yes we can buy beer and wine in the grocery stores but only Monday thru Saturday from 8 am to 10 PM. Better hope you have enough in your fridge for any unexpected company on Sunday!�The transit system here is very bad and limited. I would love to have a decent train/bus system that works.� People drive like jerks everywhere and think they own the road.Doesn't sound like you were thrilled with Boston/ or Mass. Hope you are liking where you are at now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris119. Show chris119's posts

New to Boston?

TeechaGuy - you make a good case both for and agaist Boston.� Your point regarding how everyone (other than bostonians) loves the city is spot on.� I hadn't really traveled much up until my mid-twenties, but when I did i always would here how everyone loves Boston, and I would think to myself....why?� Well I've traveled extensively for the past 10 years and I can say that i appreciate the city (and area) a lot more now than i did back then.And another comment regarding drivers around here - I really don't think we are worse than most other areas.� Everyone thinks "their" drivers are the worset.� I was just in TX and everyone there says the same thing.� Granted, driving in parts of downtown Boston can be aggravating, but that's the exception, not the norm.�

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from spiv. Show spiv's posts

New to Boston?

I moved from california to Boston last year and I love it- I lived in LA and then santa Barbara for total 25 years- SB was a bonafide paradise- and that was all.I love it here- I miss the weather in CA the least.� In Boston everyday is a new day; there are happy days and days to sit around and be bla and feel ok about it.The drivers are sucky here but I find that to be true the closer to Boston I get. The worst thing about this place is that a street name can be different depending on which direction you are heading, or the road just suddenly becomes a different road, and road signs are not generally posted often.The other thing is there are many merge areas that are just clusterF's- anyone ever get off the pike at Watertown and need to be on route 16?� makes no sense at all.The real deal is that I have family here, and I had none in CA, and I can't imagine being anywhere else for the first time in my 46 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from spiv. Show spiv's posts

New to Boston?

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

New to Boston?

There are a few grocery stores that sell liquor and wine; Stop & Shop in Malden and Crosby's�in Salem and Marblehead.� Not sure about others.�� I agree that other states I've visited sell beer, wine, etc in all grocery stores however Mass liquor stores are open on Sunday and are abundant in most cities, so why the need to sell liquor in supermarkets other than the convenience of one less stop to make?� Guess I wouldn't consider this a huge negative for moving to Boston but most of the other things listed by posters are spot on. Road signs are abysmal.� Weather is no longer 4 definitive seasons but hey, it is New England. Culture is not lacking so much for museums but theater is pathetically out of date and nothing current ever comes to Boston..� Transit system, for all the complaining still gets people where they need to go...eventually but I too wonder why the trains do not run until at least 2:00 AM.��For the life of me though, I never coudl understand how Boston ends up being one of the most expensive places to live in comparison to New York City or San Francisco.� From all accounts, the rents in both are outrageous and in NYC all $8.00 will get you a bagel with cream cheese and a large coffee.� ���

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffd. Show jeffd's posts

New to Boston?

Hey Texas Guy,Your state is the WORST state I have ever been to and I have been to 35 of the 50 states... the only city worth mentioning is Austin and I think it is even overrated with its one college.� Texas is one big flat package with boring cities with no charm... Dallas and Houston is the epitimy of America... strip mall after strip mall.... the summers are brutally hot and there is nothing to do to cool off expect go to the mall.... gee that is exciting...... go back to Texas you loser!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffd. Show jeffd's posts

New to Boston?

Hello Texas girl,If you call lakes in Texas, real lakes, then fine...�if you like driving hours to get to them....� I have been to Texas 5 or 6 times and everytime I think that this is the worst place I have even been to.� Sorry that is my opinion....� Boston is heads above any city in Texas.... We have the greatest colleges in the world, MIT and Harvard, two or less hours to the most scenic mountains and coastline in America... heck if you want a little more excitement, 4 hrs to New York....� In Texas, you will have to drive 4 hours to drive to a hot lake....� Boston has European charm with modern and rustic architecture... In� most cities in Texas, get out the Windex, since every building looks the same, glass and more glass... BORING!!� Boston has better sports teams..... gee how bout those Cowboys....� and those doormat Texas Rangers.....� of course it is cheap to live there.... because it is BORING!!!!!!!� I am sure the majority of people would agree with me...� I think the biggest thing of all is Texas people... they think their state is the greatest in the US.... I think it is more insecurity because they know what a hellhole it really is and they are jealous of other states like Mass, California, Florida and even Georgia for that matter...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjbetti. Show cjbetti's posts

New to Boston?

Having lived in Texas for roughly 10 years (Dallas and Houston) and Boston (proper) for 10 years, I'm probably the only person on here that likes them both and can see the pros and cons.

Bostonians that think Texans are ignorant only have to take the red line and get off at Broadway or Andrew.� Take the blue line to Revere.� Most of the country is made up of ignorant people.� However, it just happens that Boston (proper) has a lot of college-educated citizens.

People in New England love going through life pissed off and crabby for some reason.� Maybe it's the weather.� This is one reason why I like the attitude of Texans.� In general, the mindset is that of respect and courtesy.� Texas is from Tejas, which means "friend/ally" in spanish.

Texans are proud because of the history.� It used to be it's own country and there are still clauses in the state constitution that allow for it to remove itself from the Union.

I think we should all just move to California where everyone seems to be happy and the weather rocks...