No Infants in Movies!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

OK, this isn't the first time it has happened to me but what is up with people bringing newborn babies to movies? Seriously, I just went to an afternoon movie over the holidays and swear the lady behind me gave her last push in the parking lot. As much as I'd like to say parents should have common sense about hiring a baby-sitter, the theaters should have a policy about this. I for one do not want to pay $10.00 to listen to a baby wailing in the theater.

Before anyone accuses me of hating children, I have a grown son and a grandson and the thought never, ever occurred to me to bring them to a movie when they were infants or toddlers for that matter.

Any thoughts out there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

I'm with you! I always wonder what these people are thinking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

Well, they sure aren't thinking along the lines of consideration. I realize it's hard to have a life when there are little children to take care of but honestly feel it is the responsibility of the theater management to not allow people to bring infants to movies. Maybe if everyone who is distracted or disturbed by the noise were to ask for their money back, the theaters would improvise a plan or a system that is fair to everyone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

Many parents think their child should be tolerated by everyone. If I'm in an environment geared toward children? OK. In a movie theater or restaurant? Not so much. That being said, it depends on the baby. My friend's baby does not cry. She's not mute or anything, just a very content baby. I wouldn't think it was weird if she took her to the movies but I can see how other patrons would be outraged, they don't know this baby's temperment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

Exactly my point! I was with my almost year old grandson to see Enchanted and he suggested we move because the baby crying was so distracting. Truth be known, he's my excuse to see kid movies. The audience is better than those with grown-ups. First of all, you can see over most of the heads and secondly, when the movie starts the kids are so quite. The only thing I hear is the sound of laughter and it is an enjoyable experience.

Coming from a mother-to-be, I feel I did not overstep my bounds by posing this question and thank you for your point of view. Wishing you a happy, healthy baby!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

Of course there are always exceptions and a parent knows if their infant is quiet or a crier and if they are the latter, it should not be inflicted on others. This applies to restaurants as well and I agree, if I am in a family friendly, kid friendly environment I should expect there to be a certain noise level. However, I dined in an adult establishment in the evening when a family came in with several well behaved young children and a baby who proceeded to cry and scream throughout the meal. Only once did the father take the baby out to quiet it down. All I ask for is consideration of other patrons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

I'm with you there. But I've learned that consideration is most often overriden by selfishness, no one cares about anyone else's comfort even if their behavior is insanely inappropriate. Terrible, isn't it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

You're so right Jeez, what ever happened to manners, courtesy and respect? Maybe I set my expectations too high. Guess I'll save up for a big screen TV, rent movies when they come out on DVD and enjoy them in the peace and quiet of my own home. Thanks for your input. At least I know I am not a complete curmudgeon and other people do share my thoughts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

I too have been to more than a few movies that were inappropriate for young children due to language, nudity and violence and was shocked to see mothers and fathers with kids under the age of 12. It would seem a young child would feel embarrassed and uncomfortable under the circumstances.

It is a good sign that theater management (none out my way that I know of) is beginning to recognize the problem however, a baby crying at a 2;00 PM movie is just as annoying as a 7:00 PM movie. Why should we, the paying public, have to adjust our schedules so as t not be subjected to this growing trend? I am trying to be sensitive to the rights of families with young children yet private enterprises should be able to draw the line at having infants brought into theaters, period. Maybe it will come to this; in theater (not the actual movie) day care for a specified fee.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

I totally agree with you and all above posters. I am a childfriendlyperson, and often take my nieces' and nephews' children to the movies.Movies appropriate for them and to afternoon shows. But not until theycan WALK into the movie theater by themselves. And they all know, theyhave to be quiet. Once I had to leave, because my nephew's son actedup, because he couldn't have popcorn. I never let them bring food ordrinks in to the movies, but usually take them for ice cream afterwards
    Infants do not belong there - no matter what. Maybe if the movietheaters start charging a full ticket for them, that nonsence will stop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

pingo:

"Movies appropriate for them and to afternoon shows. But not until they can WALK into the movie theater by themselves."

Well stated and a great idea! Sort of like at the amusement park where a kid has to be a certain height to go on a ride. Paying full price for a ticket is also a great idea and bet it would curb the problem considerably. I too am very child friendly and love babies but there is a time and place for everything. Wonder how we can get the message out to theater owners.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

I don't care if parents bring babies to movies or nice restaurants as long as they get up and leave the minute the kid starts crying. Some infants are good sleepers and/or parents are considerate and will leave at the first wail.

What I don't understand, though, is how a parent could expose a baby's precious little ears to the loud volume of a movie at the theater.

Note: Must admit, though, if a nice restaurant tries to seat us in the general vicinity of a table with kids, we'll say, thanks but we'll wait for something WAY OVER THERE!! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

"Must admit, though, if a nice restaurant tries to seat us in the general vicinity of a table with kids, we'll say, thanks but we'll wait for something WAY OVER THERE!! :)"

Ha ha...oh yes! I've gone from requesting the thankfully obsolete Non Smoking Section to the No Children Section. And it is the parents who are to be held responsible for the behavior of their children. Young children do not understand boundaries unless they are taught. Manners seem to be a thing of the past and some, not all, parents bring children to a restaurant and let them run around and bother wait staff and diners in the next booth to the point of ridiculous. Playing peek-a-boo over the booth is cute for about a minute but after that knock it off and make them turn around and behave.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SNAPPA52. Show SNAPPA52's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

The sad part of all this is the part where parents are so deathly afraid and paranoid what with all the child molestations and nanny murders and hidden cams catching the babysitter pounding the kid in the head. when you tune into one of these hidden camera shows and see the horror unleashed on some of these children its no wonder parents drag them everywhere. They have been programmed not to trust anyone anymore not even the clergy (with good reason). Sorry, but taking kids to the movies is another sign of our social ills and the paranoia that has crept into all parts of our society.

Personally I blame the media, the old acronym "The more you know" is not always that good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougzinboston. Show dougzinboston's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

For some unknown reason, some parents think their right to see a movie trumps all the other paying customers' right to hear it. Rude. Just plain thoughtlessly rude.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston234. Show boston234's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

As a parent, I would never bring my child to a theatre until they are ready to sit quietly and watch the movie. So these parents bringing infants to theatres are wackadoos. Go rent a movie. It's much cheaper too!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

Partly, I feel that some parents possess the ability to tune out the sound of their child whining or crying, unless of course the child is in distress. I have had many positive experiences in movies and dining out when the children are very well behaved and due in large part to parenting. On the occasions when they aren't behaving, it is the parents who allow the behavior. Having has conversation with the owner of a restaurant, I was told they frown on asking a paying customer to leave because they will not discipline or reign in an unruly child. My argument is exactly what you state: better to lose one customer than several who will not return.
    Since it is difficult to determine in advance when a parent might have the common sense to leave a theater or restaurant when an infant begins to cry uncontrollably, I stick with my original thought, best to not allow parents to bring them to a movie or a dining establishment geared for adults, period.

If you have little ones or in some cases came directly from the maternity ward, kindly stick to family friendly and most important, appropriate places.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

No Infants in Movies!!

Next time pack a parachute. ~8- )

In all seriousness and as I also had a similar flight from hell, adults with children do have the right to travel any where, any time and the right to purchase a seat for children. Most younger children get whiny on flights due to their ears hurting from cabin pressure, as you stated and also fatigue from time changes (don't we all) . On the flip side, I've endured worse flights from drunk ,belligerent adults This is more than likely not a situation with an easy fix that will satisfy both sides. Suppose airlines were to offer adult only flights. This would cause a discrimination law suit before you could book a seat Bottom line; people with or without children all need to get from one destination to another due to a vacation, relocation, family visits, etc. However, all it takes to not bring an infant to a movie is a baby-sitter.