OT- Candle Fragrance Poll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

For soap, I'm a big fan of lavender and grapefruit. For candles, it changes with the season, but usually the baked ones, like spiced pumpkin, buttercream frosting, apple pie (I should just bake something!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Biscotti for candles, yummmmm.

Soap, I also like grapefruit, so refreshing. I also love Oatmeal (with little "bits" in it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

This is true. Every time I bake, I end up eating half of it myself! The holiday season was brutal!

[Quote]

Stick with the candles - they're calorie free and no mess! :)

I have to second grapefruit for soap. I just started using Trader Joe's grapefruit salt scrub, and it smells delicious.[/Quote]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

For soaps, I like natural scents like oatmeal, almond, mint, lavender, citrus & herbs. I really am not a fan of floral scented anything, it always smells so fake and terrible to me, whether it's soap or candles. For candles, I like citrus and spices, and I love love cinnamon...not apples, just cinnamon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]For soap, I'm a big fan of lavender and grapefruit. For candles, it changes with the season, but usually the baked ones, like spiced pumpkin, buttercream frosting, apple pie (I should just bake something!)[/Quote]

Stick with the candles - they're calorie free and no mess! :)

I have to second grapefruit for soap. I just started using Trader Joe's grapefruit salt scrub, and it smells delicious.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with Wendy - rose typically ends up pretty yucky. If the rose oil is truly an authentic essential oil it works, but I'm guessing that's too expensive or maybe too volatile to be marketed since you hardly ever see it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrideChilla. Show BrideChilla's posts

ohh... mango papaya for soap!! loveee that :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Hi all-
    I am finally starting my own business on Etsy after spending so much time on there. I make soy candles of all sizes. It's been a hobby up until now.
    What are your favorite scents in candles and soaps?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, circles!!! Best wishes as you start this new endeavor. I admire your courage.

I like the natural aroma therapy, essential oil scents. Lavender for sleep, etc. Those tend to be lighter, not so perfumy and thick. Also, I tend to have an asthma problem with non-natural scents.

My favorite brand of candles for their scents and clean burn are at Bluecorn Naturals - they are beeswax, but I believe that to be similar in quality to soy. Here is the Bluecorn Naturals aroma therapy line. I have their Well Being, and I love it.

Best wishes!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21177GR. Show 21177GR's posts

I love the smell of fresh herbs.....basil, fresh thyme, and lavendar. But I also love some floral scents like jasmine, lavender, ylang ylang..and others like spicy/woodsy/smoky scents like bergomont (spelling?) patchouilii, (just a little --not too much!!!) and smoky yummy chipolte ---mmmm............ but how can you put that in a candle I wonder?
    BTW--Does anyone else think that the kitchens etc., store (back when it was around) smelled like a bit like a bunch of chipoltes cooking over a pan in the back of the room?
    Maybe it's just me, but I always loved that yummy smoky smell whatever it was!

Good luck with the business- I love etsy!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I tend to change my candles based on the season, but my big favs are Lilac I love lilacs and cannot wait to get a house so I can have some. I also like the ocean breeze and clean cotten sents from Yankee. I like a strong yet clean scent hence the preferences to clean cotten etc, but I get the same thing from herb based scents like thyme etc.

In the winter I alternate between a pine sented one and something baked, either a snickerdoodle or apple pie.

One thing..I hate Rose scented stuff but love actual roses, I don't think it translates well into a soap, candle or lotion

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

My favorite soaps and candles ever were pineapple scented. I'm also a big fan of candles that smell like baked goods.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]This is true. Every time I bake, I end up eating half of it myself! The holiday season was brutal!

[/Quote]

You're not the only one; I'm a sucker for dough. I eat it by the handful out of the mixer (forget just licking the beater!).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I like fruit scents like mango, citrus, apples, etc. I also like lilacs and magnolias.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[Quote]BTW--Does anyone else think that the kitchens etc., store (back when it was around) smelled like a bit like a bunch of chipoltes cooking over a pan in the back of the room?
    Maybe it's just me, but I always loved that yummy smoky smell whatever it was!

Good luck with the business- I love etsy!![/Quote]

I worked at a Kitchen's etc at an outlet store and I can tell you it did not smell like that in our store :) We didn't have a particular scent that made an impact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrideChilla. Show BrideChilla's posts

i like fruity and "baked good scents".. like pumpkin spice, vanilla cupcake, cookies..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Thank you so much for all the responses. This is invaluable to me.

Kargiver- yes, the soy are in league with the beeswax as far as quality. The burn time is 3x longer than paraffin and the carbon emissions are nearly non-existent (unlike paraffin which is petroleum-based and the remnants of making asphalt). I also use 100% cotton wicks for the same reason. I get headaches from other candles, so high-quality and natural are really important to me. I can't thank you enough for recommending the beeswax tapers to someone looking for the dripless because it got me to thinking and I started researching beeswax and soy that day. I owe you one. I used to make dipped tapers for Christmas every year. I started again this year and made container candles as well which went over extremely well.

Going to test out Citrus Basil for sure now and use Grapefruit in my Aloe Vera soap (probably wouldn't be best in the Goat's Milk). I do love oatmeal soap.
    Blueberry Muffin and Vanilla Hazelnut have been the most popular candles so far with Green Apple, Wedding Cake, and Spiced Cranberry on the soap.

Thank you for all the good wishes and ideas!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Congratulations circles for starting your own business. Wish you well and hope you succeed.
    However, as far as scents are concerned, I can't give you any advice - except for keeping your scents very mild.
    As one, who cannot take very strong scents, whether from perfume, soaps or candles - I beg you.
    I cannot walk through the perfume department or into a card store, that also sells candles. I get a serious headaches and have breathing problems right away. So, please have some unscented candles coming for us, who cannot deal with strong scents.
    I quite often put a couple of cinnamon sticks in a pot on my stove to have my house smell wonderful. That does not bother me at all. So, maybe cinnamon will be the way to go for some of us. Thanks!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

circles, that's so cool. I'm glad I mentioned it and it got you started - wow, God works in mysterious ways. Who knew it would be such a springboard?!

Prill, I know you are not kidding - I do the same thing. I don't even bother to pre-heat the oven or get out the baking sheets.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Please be sure to include unscented in your line - for those of us sensitive in both candles and soaps.
    One thing I do is keep scented candles but never light them so the scent is far more subtle....I like the following scents from Yankee - MacIntosh Apple, Christmas Tree....but very sparingly.
    I also like real fresh smelling:
    Lemon, Lavendar, Peppermint, only sometimes is cinnamon ok
    I am not a fan of foodscents, like dough, vanilla wafer or birthday cake - I just can't stand those.
    Most florals are too heavy for me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

When it comes to candles, i love yankee candle's christmas scents, and bath & body works apple, sweet pea, and cherry blossom. juniper breeze was my favorite bath & body works scent, but they've discontinued the scent.

when it comes to lotions and soaps, I like peppermint, but need scent free due to sensitive skin.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Oh great idea!!

For me, I love lighter scents in candles and soaps. I dont like candles that overwhelm you in strength.
    For scents, I love freesia, jasmine, mint and lavendar. I love the Yankee Candle "Wedding Day" candle but I dont know what is in it!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhbride09. Show nhbride09's posts

I like the red currant scent for candles and anything citrusey (is that a word) for soaps. Good luck to you - sounds like a fun adventure!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I have, on occasion, been known to make a batch of cookie dough, for the sole purpose of only eating the dough. I wish I was kidding!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[Quote]I have, on occasion, been known to make a batch of cookie dough, for the sole purpose of only eating the dough. I wish I was kidding![/Quote]
    Yep I have been there too. And once I bought the toll house squares that you break and put on a cookie sheet just to eat. It was easy to break off two squares and put the rest back for later :)

Sections
Shortcuts