OT - Increase Gas Tax

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

its not just umass employees listed

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

.29 tax hike is a little rediculous. However, I do not believe those who live north of the city should be "punished" with an increase to the tolls on the Mass Pike in order for us to raise money either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

[Quote].29 tax hike is a little rediculous. However, I do not believe those who live north of the city should be "punished" with an increase to the tolls on the Mass Pike in order for us to raise money either.

[/Quote]

I agree with you. I don't think any of us should be "punished". I think they really need to eliminate wasteful spending instead. Then when all the fat is trimmed, they should evaluate whether it is necessary to increase anything to cover the basic necessities.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I agree wasteful spending must be addressed ASAP. Lets look at those pensions, and seriously look at them and take action on curbing some of those outrageous loopholes. Getting extra pension money for being voted out of office? And the guy that extended his pension because he was a Volunteer as a trustee on a library board?!?!?!

I am seeing my 401k dwindel, and saving where I can but I cannot do it all. It is time to cut some spending and yeah maybe we should look at some of those feel good festivals etc and trim money there. I know that the arts and festivals are good for your mental state but when you (or the state) have no money how is funding those types of projects good for you when seeing the debt you go into messes with you head. I am not advocating cutting them willy nilly since you can gain revenue out of it as well but seriously lets looks at these items as way to reduce our spending.

And here is a radical third rail idea....for those on public assistance (welfare, food stamps, Section8) they should have to verify their status every X number of years that includes their income as well as their residential status. If they are here legally then yes we need to help but if they are not then make sure they are healthy and send them back from whence they came. We do need to take care of our own poor and elderly and we do support other nations with foreign aid which we should do and continue to do so.

How can we help others when we do not help ourselves? Did anyone else read how much they cost states? And I don't think that rounding up all illegals is going to solve the problem but it will very much help us, see the LA times article that discusses their impact on the CA budget. You have to start somewhere and by willfully ignoring the cost this group brings to any budget (state or federal) is not helping the situation and in fact making it worse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

heres proof of overpaid employees. this is ridiculous. some people are struggling, and they want to increases taxes for what? to give these people raises? maybe some money would go to roads, which i agree are in horrible shape, but i highly doubt it would all go to the roads

for some reason i cannot post a link, and i dont want to copy and paste it here and mess up the thread, so just check out boston.com's main page, and you will see the story titled "umass tops best-paid state jobs list", where it states more than 175 state employees made $200,000 or more last year, and lists their names and positions. what a joke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

Saying UMass isn't solely funded by the state is misleading. It's like saying the T isn't solely funded by the state because they charge a fee for riding. Or the RMV isn't solely funded by the state because you have to pay to renew your license or register your car. Or the Pike because you pay tolls.
    UMass employees are state employees and most of their salaries and perks (pensions!) are coming from the state.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

Seems everyone has different views on this topic and I thought it might be interesting to see what the ladies here think about the proposed gas tax hike.

I think wasteful spending needs to be cut. I do not think we should be asked to pay higher taxes which will just allow this problem to continue on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

the headline of that article is slightly misleading, UMass is not soley funded by the state. I'm not justifying their salaries, I'm just saying.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

Sorry, I have to chime in here. My particular case is definitely not the norm at all, but I'm technically a UMass state employee and none of my salary comes from the state. Everyone in my department is the same deal.

The gas tax would likely be an alternative to the steep increases being proposed for the tolls. The Big Dig has cost a ton of money and a good chunk of the people who use it (those from points south of the city) pay nothing for it. Instead, the burden is on those north and west. (However, the size of the increase seems high - we currently have one of the lowest gas taxes, but the answer isn't to make it one the nation's highest.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

There is an alotted amount the state gives them every year. All the other funds they make beyond that would never go back to the state's bottom line, so it's not ALL state money. Many of these educators are paid in part by or fully by federal research grants, that means that money is not coming from the state, but the U.S. in general.
    I went to a state college, I am not prepared to bite the hand that feeds me. I'm just saying that the headline is slightly misleading. Some of these educators are not being paid solely with state funds that could otherwise be used for different purposes, such as road repair, etc.

[Quote]Saying UMass isn't solely funded by the state is misleading. It's like saying the T isn't solely funded by the state because they charge a fee for riding. Or the RMV isn't solely funded by the state because you have to pay to renew your license or register your car. Or the Pike because you pay tolls.
    UMass employees are state employees and most of their salaries and perks (pensions!) are coming from the state.[/Quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

Missy, the state isn't just giving those entities you listed money. They are LOANING them money. You know, money that will be paid back, with interest?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I agree with Ariel as far as UMass employees are concerned. Maybe the administration, janitors and other necessary personel to run a university are paid by the state. But most university professores, researchers and other teaching personel are usually paid by grants.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

The new charlie card system was definately needed. It was laughable that in the 21st century the T was still accepting tokens, but not credit cards.
    It had greatly reduced the number of fare-evaders, and that gains the T money. If you think you could run the system better and get them out of debt quicker, then please submit your ideas to them, I'm sure they're open to suggestion.
    It's easy to point fingers and place blame. It's not easy to come up with a solution.

[Quote]

Yes, the T is in debt. Purchasing a charlie pass system when they are already in debt, and then trying to pass on the cost to customers is yes, a problem. If they were already in debt, why go spend money they dont have on revamping how they collect tickets??? How about either get out of debt, or, if they are going to spend any money at all, they should be spending it on adding more trains, and fixing the ones that break down all the time. And now they want to raise fares by 25% plus cut evening service. Do you know how much that will cost someone to get to Boston who lives at the end of a train line? Almost $400/month including a monthly pass plus parking of $4 a day at the train station parking lot. $400/month for less trains and the ones that do work are always breaking down on my line.[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I am in agreement with the fact that wasteful spending needs to be cut. These legislators can also do without their pay raise at our expense.

i'm also not in agreement w/the lay off of teachers, firefighters or police and the closing of libraries.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I agree. Wasteful spending is the problem. Hiking taxes is not the solution.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

easier said than done. See how much you could cut.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

My gut says .29 cents per gallon - no. My head says that when gas prices were high last year, Americans drove 1 billion miles less. So demand for gas is elastic, and if we drove less, the environment would benefit. And the oil companies and the countries who take our money for oil would suffer a bit.

Like any sales tax, this will hit the poor in their pockets, and the relatively rich will just pay it.

I wish there were more progressive ways to tax.

I wish the money would go to more public transit, so that, for example, people who worked at Logan could take public transit, avoiding the tolls and not having to pay for gas and parking.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

What a silly comment. To eliminate the state tax would have a lot more serious consequenses than a 27 cents gas tax.

[Quote]You had the chance to eliminate the income tax...... How did you vote? Did you vote?[/Quote]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from VanHassle. Show VanHassle's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I would like to know what the "waste" and "fat" everyone seems to be referring to. Is it healthcare? environemental protection? education? elder care?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I'd rather a gas tax hike than a toll hike, and it seems there will inevitably be one, the other or a mix of both.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

umm last I checked the state doesn't GIVE money to the private universities. As non-profits, they are not required to pay the same taxes as a business. This is not a special thing about Massachusetts, but a common feature of tax law across the country. And Harvard and MIT are the two biggest employers in Cambridge--they bring a ton of well-paying jobs with good benefits to all sorts of people in the area, and keep Boston businesses supplied with bright graduates that help fuel the city's economy. Should they pay some taxes for all that prime real estate? probably. And they actually do, in a way. They negotiate with the city regularly over payments that the universities make in lieu of taxes. I honestly don't see what there is to complain about here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I'm all for increasing the gas tax, if it'll encourage people to drive less, thereby helping the environment. Then again, with all the problems we have with the T (plus the fact that the entire state doesn't have reliable transportation), it wouldn't be terribly helpful right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

[Quote]The new charlie card system was definately needed. It was laughable that in the 21st century the T was still accepting tokens, but not credit cards.
    It had greatly reduced the number of fare-evaders, and that gains the T money. If you think you could run the system better and get them out of debt quicker, then please submit your ideas to them, I'm sure they're open to suggestion.
    It's easy to point fingers and place blame. It's not easy to come up with a solution.

[/Quote]

??you think it was worth it to upgrade the ticket system just so we match other transit lines? maybe if they werent already in debt! but to spend that kind of money on that when you are in debt and have broken trains is a joke. the trains themselves should be fixed and running smoothly before any new ticket system is installed. And regarding the commuter line, the charlie pass works exactly the same way as the original tickets did. fare evasion is still just as easy there now as it was before.

as far as the t not taking credit cards before, yes, in fact they did. you just had to either buy a monthly pass at the window or online. if you were buying a token every day, you could have saved yourself lots of time by buying a monthly pass, and using either cash or your credit card to do so.

the charlie pass system IS a waste of money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

[Quote]You had the chance to eliminate the income tax...... How did you vote? Did you vote?

[/Quote]

if you eliminate the income tax, your property taxes just go up. example, look at florida, no income tax, but astronomical property taxes. and it affects renters too because it causes rent to increase.

the income tax has no bearing on the question at hand, the gas tax

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I had to laugh the other night on the Red Line. They had advertisements for people to go back to school to become teachers and I keep hearing on the news how they are going to cut teaching jobs in Boston. the ad seemed a little out of place at the moment.