OT - Increase Gas Tax

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

Ladies,
    We all know wasteful spending is the culpit. I am definitely not for an added gas tax. Whenever they talk about savings - they talk about cutting down the police departments, the fire departments, the school budget and closing schools and libraries. Which one is better?
    IF the gas tax would be used for improving our roads (which right now are in a terrible state - my husband just lost two tires and rims due to potholes) and our crumbling and unsafe bridges and tunnels - then and only then a gas tax would be justified.
    But if a gas tax would go into the general spending to pay for salary increases and pension and healthcare for our state workers - it would be unjustified. Due to union contracts, state workers have so much fat - we in the private industry cannot even dream of.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

so true, and the governor said he was leery of a gas tax for such reasons, how do you ensure that it is used for only certain purposes?
    I wouldn't want their jobs, that's for sure.

[Quote]Ladies,
    We all know wasteful spending is the culpit. I am definitely not for an added gas tax. Whenever they talk about savings - they talk about cutting down the police departments, the fire departments, the school budget and closing schools and libraries. Which one is better?
    IF the gas tax would be used for improving our roads (which right now are in a terrible state - my husband just lost two tires and rims due to potholes) and our crumbling and unsafe bridges and tunnels - then and only then a gas tax would be justified.
    But if a gas tax would go into the general spending to pay for salary increases and pension and healthcare for our state workers - it would be unjustified. Due to union contracts, state workers have so much fat - we in the private industry cannot even dream of.[/Quote]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

[Quote]

As for the gas tax, bring it on! Consumption of gasoline carries substantial externalities--i.e. it pollutes the air that everybody breathes, and congests the roads that other cards drive on. There are large social costs to driving a lot, so taxing gas encourages people to adjust their behavior by reducing driving, carpooling, using public transportation, etc, in a way that benefits everybody.

As for cutting expenses--obviously wasteful spending should be cut. But my impression is that the budget problems are big enough that spending cuts won't solve them!

[/Quote]

Not everyone works in Boston, where the majority of public transportation is available. Also, not everyone lives near a coworker and can carpool. And finding a job that fits this realm now is not an easy thing to do. So peeople who need to drive to work are being punished. Besides that, even if more people did use public transportation, that wont help either. I used to ride the commuter train, and it was overcrowded as it is, nevermind if even more people start to use it.

You dont think spending cuts will solve them? Here are some easy ones for you. The state should not be giving millions of dollars to the red sox to develop the fenway area. The red sox are not a state institution! That is our tax dollars. The state should not be giving millions to Harvard and BU. That is our tax dollars going to private institutions. So if you think that we should continue to spend money foolishly like this and as a result lay off teachers, firemen etc, and increase taxes to continue to spend money like this, that is insane thinking.

The spending and budgets in Massachusetts are a joke. They spend money ridiculously on things like these quick examples, but yet, dont budget enough for snow removal and cant afford to pay their own employees...its a joke and an embarassment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

The problem is this is just another tax thanks to Gov. Patrick. Now that we are getting this magical stimulus $, that should be the end of it. I'm sure it won't be, but it should.

Where is the property tax relief that Gov. Patrick promised???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

[Quote]No, the MBTA is in debt because of their settlement over the Americans with Disablities Act. Most if not all MBTA stations are not handicap accessible, there are now major renovations being made to several stations.
    That costs millions of dollars, money the T doesn't have, but it was an issue that needed to be addressed, as public transportation needs to be accessible to all.
    It's a catch 22. If we ask them to cut their budget, we the commuters are the ones who suffer with poorer T service. If they don't cut their budgets, we the commuters are the ones who suffer with increases fares.

[/Quote]

Yes, the T is in debt. Purchasing a charlie pass system when they are already in debt, and then trying to pass on the cost to customers is yes, a problem. If they were already in debt, why go spend money they dont have on revamping how they collect tickets??? How about either get out of debt, or, if they are going to spend any money at all, they should be spending it on adding more trains, and fixing the ones that break down all the time. And now they want to raise fares by 25% plus cut evening service. Do you know how much that will cost someone to get to Boston who lives at the end of a train line? Almost $400/month including a monthly pass plus parking of $4 a day at the train station parking lot. $400/month for less trains and the ones that do work are always breaking down on my line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

$7 both ways? That would be unacceptable.

[Quote]

DH works at Logan, and not only does he have to pay for parking for work, he has to deal with the tunnel fees, or take an extra 50 minutes through Chelsea etc....
    At $3.50, I don't see how they could in good sense raise the tunnell fees to $7.00 a trip, that's just nuts. I am as well thinking wasteful spending needs to be cut, but if anything is going to be rasied, I believe the gas tax should, as Massachusetts is always below the posted national average for a gallon of gas.
    We both commute long distances, so I am not in favor of this, but think $7.00 for a trip through the tunnel is just insane.

[/Quote]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

Hi lucy, you have a very good point. However, we live in a town without any public transportation at all (and we still pay to public transportation through our taxes). We tried to get along for the longest time with just one car - but our bill for public transportation and especially cabs got just too rediculous. So, now we both drive. However, we still try to help the environment, by taking only one car whenever possible.

[Quote]I'm all for increasing the gas tax, if it'll encourage people to drive less, thereby helping the environment. Then again, with all the problems we have with the T (plus the fact that the entire state doesn't have reliable transportation), it wouldn't be terribly helpful right now.[/Quote]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I agree. This state wastes so much tax payer money it's ridiculous. Their solution to wasteful spending is always to raise taxes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

Fare evasion on the commuter rail was not their concern. They had a huge problem with fare evasion on the subway. I know I used to hop turnstiles constantly as a kid, and continued to as an adult if I forgot my T pass, and no one ever noticed.

They needed to make that upgrade. They were bleeding money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I like that us posh types in Lynn, Revere, Chelsea and Eastie get to pay $3.50, possibly $7 soon, to go into Boston while the destitute folks in Milton, Stoneham and Arlington get to drive in for free.

Gas tax increase, plz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

[Quote]I agree with Ariel we have big dig debt and roads and bridges that need to be repaired. It is unfair for the toll commuters to bear the burden. We all travel on our roads.

I don't think the Governor will raise it as much as been reported. We haven't raised the gas tax since 1991 and do have one of the lowest in the state. I am for the gas tax before toll hikes and fare increases.
    [/Quote]
    So now those who pay tolls can pay them and a higher gas tax, nice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

This state is so full of wasteful spending it is practically criminal. Patrick got elected on a platform of property tax relief - how's that working out for everyone? Mine have gone up $1,200 since 2006. (GRRRR)
    And if it's a choice of a gas tax or higher tolls - I vote for the gas tax. I take the Pike (when I'm not on the train) and it's criminal the amount of money we pay to commute while people from the South shore drive in for free.

DH is always on the lookout for jobs in other parts of the country. I'm sure someday we'll just move away. And we've both lived here all our lives! It's a shame when your state government does everything it can to drive you out of your home.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine2008. Show sunshine2008's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

[Quote]$7 both ways? That would be unacceptable.

[Quote]

DH works at Logan, and not only does he have to pay for parking for work, he has to deal with the tunnel fees, or take an extra 50 minutes through Chelsea etc....
    At $3.50, I don't see how they could in good sense raise the tunnell fees to $7.00 a trip, that's just nuts. I am as well thinking wasteful spending needs to be cut, but if anything is going to be rasied, I believe the gas tax should, as Massachusetts is always below the posted national average for a gallon of gas.
    We both commute long distances, so I am not in favor of this, but think $7.00 for a trip through the tunnel is just insane.

[/Quote][/Quote]
    Pingo, Strangely enough DH and other riders do not have to pay a fee to go through the tunnel from Boston to Airport, just from airport to Boston. But a hike to double the fee from $3.50 to $7.00 just seems nuts to me. Yes we could go around it, but what about all the people who live in East Boston etc? I could see a raise of 10-15% but to double it?
    I just don't get it.
    I would much rather see the tolls go up at state borders than see some commuters paying double, and some commuters not pay a dime.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

try taking the coommuter train to work and paying $240 / month for the pass plus $4 a day for parking, or driving in and paying the high parking garage rates. and now on top of it, they want to raise taxes...its obsurd! and, if the mbta does get any money, that will not stop them from increasing their fares and will not get them to improve service either. we are paying for their broken down commuter trains and the charlie pass system which was unnecessary

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

I agree with Ariel we have big dig debt and roads and bridges that need to be repaired. It is unfair for the toll commuters to bear the burden. We all travel on our roads.

I don't think the Governor will raise it as much as been reported. We haven't raised the gas tax since 1991 and do have one of the lowest in the state. I am for the gas tax before toll hikes and fare increases.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoFreaknSpin. Show NoFreaknSpin's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

You had the chance to eliminate the income tax...... How did you vote? Did you vote?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

The discussion of UMass salaries is kind of missing the boat, in my opinion. The relevant comparison for UMass administrator and faculty salaries are the salaries of faculty at other universities of similar caliber--not other state employees! I think that public universities are a wonderful asset and hiring the best and brightest faculty is an important part of fulfilling their mission. They need compete with other universities for these hires, and should pay accordingly. State universities provide relatively affordable, high-quality education to tens of thousands of students mostly from within the state. These students graduate and enter the state workforce hopefully with the know-how and skills to be very productive workers.

As for the coaches, I'm not sure they are worth all the $$$! Unless, having a good athletics team breeds school pride and brings in a lot of big bucks from university alumni and donors.

As for the gas tax, bring it on! Consumption of gasoline carries substantial externalities--i.e. it pollutes the air that everybody breathes, and congests the roads that other cards drive on. There are large social costs to driving a lot, so taxing gas encourages people to adjust their behavior by reducing driving, carpooling, using public transportation, etc, in a way that benefits everybody.

As for cutting expenses--obviously wasteful spending should be cut. But my impression is that the budget problems are big enough that spending cuts won't solve them!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

As helphelp indicated, the Charlie Pass system was a MUST for the subway, as is the accessbility upgrades. I take the subway to work and back every day, and have done so for the last 4 years, and the tokens and old passes slowed down people getting into the T, which was a big problem. Plus there was only one window through which to buy tokens, which formed a huge line. And no, you couldn't just buy monthly link passes anywhere. Most stations didn't sell them, so you had to go all the way to Kenmore or to a 711 to buy a monthly pass.
    And in order to keep tourists and residents from moving to other cities, yes, our public transit system DOES have to be on par with the transit systems in other cities. It's just tough

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine2008. Show sunshine2008's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

No, the MBTA is in debt because of their settlement over the Americans with Disablities Act. Most if not all MBTA stations are not handicap accessible, there are now major renovations being made to several stations.
    That costs millions of dollars, money the T doesn't have, but it was an issue that needed to be addressed, as public transportation needs to be accessible to all.
    It's a catch 22. If we ask them to cut their budget, we the commuters are the ones who suffer with poorer T service. If they don't cut their budgets, we the commuters are the ones who suffer with increases fares.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

OT - Increase Gas Tax

[Quote]
    So now those who pay tolls can pay them and a higher gas tax, nice.[/Quote]

If he raises the gas tax .29 cents then they would get rid of the tolls...

Sections
Shortcuts