Strictly Massachusetts...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitzy22. Show fitzy22's posts

How about a "bubbler" or "bubbla" instead of water fountain...my wife (not a masshole) had never heard of that

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonCadGuy. Show BostonCadGuy's posts

I love using our rural lingo. Even at work. People get it. It what makes our little part of the nation unique and special. To give it up would be an attack of character.

So to add:

The television remote will always be known as the Clickah.

This might be just me and my general area of Ma(Worcester) but we say "steers" instead of stairs. It's a bit getting used to with the 'correct' pronounciation of it. "Stee-az"

as in "I'm go'n up stee-az, I'll be right back."

And even though bubbler("bubblah") is said to be a Mass thing, I can't help but continue to think it is the correct name for them. I mean 'water fountain' could be a number of products, the bubbler is know to be only one. Similar to the English calling elevators lifts, and cookies biscuits; I believe an object should be named correctly by it's original name. And therefor bubbler remains with me even as an architectural enginneer. People know what your talking about.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clamham. Show clamham's posts

As a middle aged professional adult with 2 boys in college I consider myself above this trivial banter. So instead of contributing to this assinine diatribe I think I'll just stop reading.

As an alternative i believe that I'll just: "Head to the packie, grab a rack and come home and watch the sox...I'm glad they dumped Manny, great hittah but a wicked loosah too, quitt'in on the sox in a pennant race...Freak'in Loosah!

Hey, if ya out tonight and see my sistah downna corner tell to get her a** home cuz ma's ready to killah!

Born and raised in "Forestills"...and yea, we do lose the "H" in hills as well!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Robilstilskin. Show Robilstilskin's posts

try sayin harvard yard, a lobsta poundn aquataer- poundn haff, cawn on tha cob, oystas on tha haf shell, fine fin an hadie, wingashiek beach, worchester, barnstibl,
    green harbor, public garden, combat zone, gerios, lockobas, veras uropean, pru, wollston beach, rox cross. opera house, checka cab, winta st, centre st, fanel hall,
    tha charles, mystic riva, sumna tunel, southie, eastie, roadie, park sqare, cupley plazr .hamsheer house, no name, hoodsie, jamacir pond, maurice j tobin, michael j curley, henry cabot lodge, walter brown, the heights, al capp, louieberg sq. charles st, bradford, wrenthem, john volpe, john mccormack, tip, ed brook, jonnie cains, necco waffafas, walleco bars, mr d's, braves field. south meeten house, granury buril ground, bunka hill, materpan, b u bridge, elevated,

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arloro. Show Arloro's posts

I live in Naples, FL and I hear the different ways people say things around the country. Growing up in Boston, I tend to use the terms from that area. Many people recognize the Bostonian accent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcronan. Show mcronan's posts

i always call cigarettes "butts"
    "smoke a butt"
    "buy a pack of butts"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsRosencranz. Show MrsRosencranz's posts

Scully Squah

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Munch. Show Munch's posts

Wicked Pissah

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1496183. Show user_1496183's posts

this is so funny It's always been the pahlah ,,and between the packies and the smokes we always had a sub ,staties always drove croozahs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjballou. Show mjballou's posts

I think the proper use of the term "wicked" is as a modifier of the term "pissah". Therefore, if something is REAAAAAAALLLLLY "Pissah", It's "WICKED PISSAH" !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from torioski. Show torioski's posts

And of course...elastics.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baldy76. Show Baldy76's posts

It's not a basement it's a cellar. I think people say troopa more than statey...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from madness. Show madness's posts

going to eat pizza is going to get some slices or get a slice

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimberJim. Show TimberJim's posts

Here in Eastie, where I was raised and still live, we always used "spuckie" for sub rolls. My dad always said "finnif" for a five-dollar bill and "sawbuck" for a ten. "Pissah" was, of course, the highest compliment something could be called. We still have the best pizza around -- let's get some "Santarp's" -- and the best slush around, sold out of a doorway on Bennington Street.

One extreme pronounciation that I've never heard anyone else refer to is what we as kids called the sewer: "the soar" is how we said it, as in: "Don't let that Espo ball go down the soar." The orange street hockey balls were always rolling into the street and into the curbside holes above the sewer. I was probably 12 before I connected the word "sewer" with the term I'd been using.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kathw. Show kathw's posts

Meffa!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gwenz. Show Gwenz's posts

Ming-ya Youz guyz are nuts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRobin. Show JRobin's posts

[Quote]As a mid 20's guy from the south shore, the influence to speak as a "Bahstonian" were everywhere...from cousins in Quincy and Squantum, to other "ya dudes" growing up. However, I decided to speak well...and the jobs i have held since then have surely been, in part, due to my trying to not sound like an Idiot.

Thats right...i called us idiots. I made sure to say "us" because...even as i write this paragraph, throwing my idiots under the bus, i too can easily join their ranks.

On any given friday or saturday night (hell, even a tuesday or thursday, depending how sales for the week are going), i will be elbow deep in PBR or Rum, and dropping some R's, and definately definately calling people "Guy, Pal, Big Guy, Chief, or Bud" or any other name aside from their own. And, with my Boston Brethren, i am entirely guilty of one of our sinful pleasures...

I am one of those idiots who start the chant. It doesnt matter where it is, or whos playing. People dont even have to be playing anything...i started the chant the other night at the Gnarles Barkley concert. And my opinion will never change.

Yankees Suck.[/Quote]

Oh gawd. It's not "Bahstonian." It's BAWstonian. Geez. And you grew up here. The W is important.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRobin. Show JRobin's posts

[Quote]How about in MA we have useless web discussions about how we are so different and more special than the rest of the universe....[/Quote]

It's called self-affirmation. Guaranteed you don't find this sort of thing in Nebraska, and for good reason.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRobin. Show JRobin's posts

[Quote]
    I think people say troopa more than statey...[/Quote]

It depends on the context. When you're driving down 128 doing 80, you notice a statey up ahead. When you get pulled over for doing the aforementioned 80, the trooper asks you for your license and registration.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmcc86. Show tmcc86's posts

I was doin a buck fawty ta the cape in my beeta. It was a wicked sh*t box. I had a case a empties in the back seat with my scully. Good thing I didn't get cawt...my mutha wuda had a haaat attack...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmcc86. Show tmcc86's posts

[Quote]

It depends on the context. When you're driving down 128 doing 80, you notice a statey up ahead. When you get pulled over for doing the aforementioned 80, the trooper asks you for your license and registration.[/Quote]

Weatha your goin North or South on 128---your always drivin "down " 128.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seekrnh. Show seekrnh's posts

Out here in South Dakota we have a different way of saying things. The state is split by the Missouri River. You are either "Eas-triver" or "Wes-triver". And if you still have stuff to do you say "I still have to finish the yardwork yet". We drink "pop" and regular coffe is always black.

Jeff from Randolph

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tedfitz. Show tedfitz's posts

Faneuil Hall or the Marketplace
    South Boston - Southie

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Or as teddy would say " eeeerrah"

dont forget peoples it all began here!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adagio52. Show adagio52's posts

You can tell someone is NOT from Boston if they try to imitate the accent and say Bawston, or if they refer to the city as Beantown. No one from Boston calls it Beantown, though some of us refer to it as the Hub (of the universe). We may also say...

Stocking Cap = winter hat, Canadian touk
    You're mental = crazy
    So we'll send you to Danvahs=Danvers (the state mental hospital)
    Dot Ave = Dorchester Avenue
    likewise MassAve, CommAve
    Washy = Washington St
    Eastie = East Boston
    The SE Distressway = SE Expressway
    Hamburg = hamburger
    Steamahs = clams
    Clam Diggahs = long short or capri pants
    Suppah = evening meal
    A Camp = a summer cottage, usually in NH
    A Campah = an RV or motor home
    Trackless = electric wire trolley bus