What lessons have you learned from life?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What lessons have you learned from life?

Obituary writer Bryan Marquard has written about the lives of 800 people who have died. Sure, the job has given him life-changing insights, but he's still no better at answering life's unanswerable questions. How have you acquired important life-lessons? Share your stories.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What lessons have you learned from life?

Everyone is only responsible for his or her own feelings.  We choose how to feel in response to others' behavior, and they choose how to feel in response to our behavior.

The world, thankfully, does not revolve around me.  I can just relax knowing that no one is churning over every little thing I say and do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapeDude. Show CapeDude's posts

When live gets too serious and stressful go hashing at a nearby chapter.  The most fun you can have with your clothes on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

On-On!
    cd

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MQP414. Show MQP414's posts

Love your family members whole-heartedly, even when you don't get along with them at times.  You will be pleasantly surprised at how much happiness this will bring you.  Oh, and no matter what, keep smiling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmira1. Show kmira1's posts

When I read the obits, I tend to notice that people who lead "simple" lives: work, family, church, involved in community, etc. are living the longest.  Perhaps living for others and optimism help.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole711. Show cole711's posts

Tell the people that matter to you that you LOVE them; take chances; find something to smile about every day; take joy in the little things.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goldfloor. Show goldfloor's posts

By spending quality time with an aging parent, you have no regrets when they pass on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ServerNotServant. Show ServerNotServant's posts

It's not that important to be important.

Make the effort to keep good people in your life.

You find out people's true colors by their consistent actions over time.

If you're interested in determining a person's character, observe how they interact with service industry workers.

http://www.servernotservant.com

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from janmacyy. Show janmacyy's posts

I have learned to always be kind and considerate.  And also to be patient and tolerant.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DisgustedGuy. Show DisgustedGuy's posts

Most of the lessons I've learned have come from reading the lessons other people have learned:

“Seeing death as the end of life is like seeing the horizon as the end of the ocean.”

David Searls

“Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.”

Bertrand Russell

''Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

John Wayne

“The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.”

Maureen Dowd

“The first duty of man is to conquer fear; he must get rid of it, he cannot act until then.”

Thomas Carlyle

“Knowing your own darkness is the best method for knowing the darknesses of other people.”

Carl Jung

“Almost all absurdity of conduct arises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble."

Dr. Johnson

“Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage.”

Anaïs Nin

“When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.”

R. Buckminster Fuller

“Until he extends the circle of compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace."

Albert Schweitzer

“I feel within me a peace above all earthly dignities:  a still and quiet conscience.”

William Shakespeare, Henry VIII

“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”

Mark Twain

“It’s better to hang out with people who are better than you.  Pick out associates whose behavior is better than yours, and you will drift in that direction.”

Warren Buffet

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”

Mother Teresa

“Life is a long preparation for something that never happens.”                  William Butler Yeats

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rals0401. Show rals0401's posts

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome."  Booker T. Washington

Be strong, Be proud, Don't be pompous over your title in work or your position on a board. 

Overcome your obstacles with dignity.  You will gain respect whether you are a pauper or the president of a company, and you will be remembered for your strength.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonwalt. Show Bostonwalt's posts

Don't sweat the small stuff, not worth it.

Enjoy each day, cause you never know when it will be your last. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zestypearl. Show zestypearl's posts

No matter how good or how bad something is, it will change.

NEVER hesitate to tell people you love them.

Do the thing you think you can't.

Be nice to people on your way up; you'll encounter them again on your way down.

Again--if you love someone, tell them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from littlekinger. Show littlekinger's posts

I agree with the last tip in the article -- Don't put off what you've always wanted to do. A friend of mine died this summer; she didn't even make it to 50. One of the things she always wanted to do that I've also always wanted to do was live by the beach. Two weeks after she passed away, I bought my beach house. There could not have been a bigger kick in the pants to get cracking and live my dreams immediately.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hburket. Show hburket's posts

I guess I didn't learn what I needed, because I failed at save a person that ment so much to me from his own demons.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from perkylinda. Show perkylinda's posts

That all we have is now, so make it count.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PragmaticAmerican. Show PragmaticAmerican's posts

As Butch would say, "Live life like you love it; Love life like you live it."

He was a terribly wise man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpetraitis. Show mpetraitis's posts

Believe and pray.  The horizon is most definitely not the end of the ocean and death is not the end of life.  Death is the beginning of the life we are meant to live.  We were created for a specific purpose and life here and now is to prepare for eternity.  Don't think of this life as 'all you've got so make the best of it' think of it as the time to prepare to reap the rewards you earn once you get to heaven.  With that in mind, read the bible, practice its precepts, love your fellow man and love and worship God. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SaveWetlands. Show SaveWetlands's posts

Stop being a victim and instead sieze the day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from basildave. Show basildave's posts

Let go of the wrongs committed against you.  Holding onto hate eats you up inside.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaisySaid. Show DaisySaid's posts

If a Holly tells you to go back to where you came from, don't invite her to your next party.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bish6364. Show bish6364's posts

My friend, You are being too hard on yourself. You miss and grieve for your friend, but sadly it was your friend who needed to get the help and learn the lessons, not you. As much as we love someone, we cannot choose for them. Be more compassionate toward yourself - you obviously are a very loving friend or family member. They were blessed to have you. Honor your friend, but don't blame yourself for something you could not change.

In Response to Re: What lessons have you learned from life?:
    I guess I didn't learn what I needed, because I failed at save a person that ment so much to me from his own demons.
    Posted by hburket

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: What lessons have you learned from life?:
    Posted by hburket

We're all only responsible for our own decisions.  Your friend made bad choices.  That isn't your fault.  Sadness is natural, but guilt is irrational.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Let go of a good friend when life changes so much that staying friends is more work for both of you than it's worth.  However, always appreciate the friendship you had for the time you had it.

Sections
Shortcuts