What lessons have you learned from life?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: What lessons have you learned from life?

This past Wednesday night..I learned that there are countless heroes in the world..and most of them will never have their names or faces in the news.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: What lessons have you learned from life?:
    This past Wednesday night..I learned that there are countless heroes in the world..and most of them will never have their names or faces in the news.
    Posted by miscricket

Agreed, miscricket if you want to walk amongst them visit any VA hospital...

Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: What lessons have you learned from life? : Agreed, miscricket if you want to walk amongst them visit any VA hospital...
    Posted by RogerTaylor

Rogertaylor...amen to that...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

How are you guys defining a hero?

Anyhow, regarding the post topic I would say that "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" is a true saying to live by. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

How are you guys defining a hero? Anyhow, regarding the post topic I would say that "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" is a true saying to live by. 
    Posted by plasko

I would define a HERO as someone who defends our country and our Constitutional rights with little or no regard for their own personnel safety or life.  I would think a soldier/Vet would qualify...

What happens on the road to hell when you reach a fork in that road????

Undecided

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaggieOHooligan. Show MaggieOHooligan's posts

I've learned that life is hard, even when you have so much going for you. Denying this basic truth has made my life harder than it needs to be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Figment. Show Figment's posts

My lesson in life is always Trust-but verify.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Re: What lessons have you learned from life? : I would define a HERO as someone who defends our country and our Constitutional rights with little or no regard for their own personnel safety or life.  I would think a soldier/Vet would qualify... What happens on the road to hell when you reach a fork in that road????
    Posted by RogerTaylor

In a sense you are partially right. However, you have to remember that this is not the reason that 99% of people sign on. Its a pretty stable job with good money, and fantastic to the people with no prospects because they either have not enough intelligence to learn any other trade, or because they are desperate for cash.
    I am sure a % of them later go on to become war heros if they perform some act of bravery under fire perhaps. 
    But being a soldier in itself does not make one a hero. Especially in peactime (admittedly not currently, but a lot of these vets you speak of will never have seen a battle).
    Sorry to go off-topic, just that I find the blind worship of all things military in this country to be quite tasteless and blood-thirsty. Military should in reality be a "dirty-little-secret" of a civilised society. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: What lessons have you learned from life? : I would define a HERO as someone who defends our country and our Constitutional rights with little or no regard for their own personnel safety or life.  I would think a soldier/Vet would qualify... What happens on the road to hell when you reach a fork in that road????
    Posted by RogerTaylor

I agree with Roger..and I'd like to add that in my view..heroes come in many shapes and sizes. The hero I was referring to in my post was someone who in spite of suffering one of the most life changing events possible..picked himself up and became a role model,a leader and an inspiration to everyone around him.

Haha..Roger..the fork in the road reminds of the scene from Alice in Wonderland...I can't remember the exact words..but it is something along the line that if you come to a fork in the road..and don't know which way to go..then it doesn't really matter which way you go..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: What lessons have you learned from life? : In a sense you are partially right. However, you have to remember that this is not the reason that 99% of people sign on. Its a pretty stable job with good money, and fantastic to the people with no prospects because they either have not enough intelligence to learn any other trade, or because they are desperate for cash. I am sure a % of them later go on to become war heros if they perform some act of bravery under fire perhaps.  But being a soldier in itself does not make one a hero. Especially in peactime (admittedly not currently, but a lot of these vets you speak of will never have seen a battle). Sorry to go off-topic, just that I find the blind worship of all things military in this country to be quite tasteless and blood-thirsty. Military should in reality be a "dirty-little-secret" of a civilised society.   
    Posted by plasko

posted at 11/26/2011 12:43 PM EST
    First: 5/31/2010
    Last: 11/27/2011
    How are you guys defining a hero?

Anyhow, regarding the post topic I would say that "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" is a true saying to live by.

What difference does it make Plasko....you're on the road to hell!

Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Cultural context:

That when you are buried there is only enough room for the casket.....all your "stuff" has to go to the dump!

What if you were one of the ancients, and took food/drink/status objects with you?

I would define a HERO as someone who defends our country and our Constitutional rights with little or no regard for their own personnel safety or life.  I would think a soldier/Vet would qualify...

What is "our country"? Do you mean the USA, the world in general, or world history period?

Achilles was  ἥρως, but he certainly did his own thing during the Trojan war.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Cultural context: That when you are buried there is only enough room for the casket.....all your "stuff" has to go to the dump! What if you were one of the ancients, and took food/drink/status objects with you?

Ahhhhh? It's the 21st century....I'm pretty sure I'm not an ancient....let me check my passport and get back to you!

What is "our country"? Do you mean the USA, the world in general, or world history period? Achilles was  ἥρως , but he certainly did his own thing during the Trojan war.

I'm sorry, let me clarify...my country? South America....I often find myself in foreign lands like the USA and feel compelled to add my two cents to life post's in various newspapers......

Trojan war?.....I prefer Ramses.......

Laughing

Posted by reindeergirl

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Laughing

Thank you!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Threads like this make me wish we could "recommend" forum posts.  :)

Life lessons:

1)  Enjoy every sandwich.  Life is short, get the most from it -- which is easier to say than do on a day-to-day basis!

2)  Take care of yourself first -- it's not being selfish!  As a mom (for example), you can't be there for your children and spouse unless you make sure your own needs are met.  This is something my grandmother would tell me, and I found that  it was demonstrated to me in very tangible ways when my first child was a newborn.  Some days I'd find myself getting really irritable.  I couldn't figure out why at first, and then I would realize that it had been hours since I'd eaten or gone to the bathroom, or something very basic like that.  Ignoring my own needs too long did not benefit him.

I agree so much with kargiver on knowing when a friendship is over.  I once let a best friend go ....only after about 2 years of issues when I finally decided the cost of the friendship was no longer offset by the benefits.  It's been hard in the 10 years since then, as obtaining a new "best" friend at my age is not that easy, but in hindsight, it is still a decision I don't regret.  As Dear Abby used to say, (paraphrasing here) are you better off with this person or without them?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I agree so much with kargiver on knowing when a friendship is over.  I once let a best friend go ....only after about 2 years of issues when I finally decided the cost of the friendship was no longer offset by the benefits.  It's been hard in the 10 years since then, as obtaining a new "best" friend at my age is not that easy, but in hindsight, it is still a decision I don't regret.  As Dear Abby used to say, (paraphrasing here) are you better off with this person or without them?
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich

EES I had to walk away from my own sister. A "negative cancer" in my life, I couldn't subject myself to her B.S......in my defense her daughter TWEETS about how much she hates her mom [my sister].... not pleasant but, at least I'm not the only one that has issues with her.....sometimes you have to do what's best for you!  Wink

Selfish NO!...what's best for ME Yes!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from urkiddinme. Show urkiddinme's posts

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    2. It's all small stuff.

Sections
Shortcuts